Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey guys feel free to start a new thread, cannibalize whatever you want from this OP. my only request is to make it AWESOME ::hellyeah: :pcgaming: :catdrugs:

:eyepop:
he lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Fearless posted:

It looks good! One of the guys I play with just got one and has dubbed it the Atomic Dog.

Folks around here have been calling it the Dogboat.

Oh, forgot to mention a happy little accident that happened after I took those pictures.  The sealer frosted up the window on the cockpit, and when I used an alcohol wipe to clean it off, it left a neat little effect:

In case you guys were wondering, here's what the competition looks like: 

Sorry for the quality on this.  None of my pictures on this guy came out well.  The black on this one is extremely smooth and clean, which doesn't really come across in the picture.  

Some really nice basing on these spirit host miniatures.

Bit of good detail work.  I think some edge highlighting would have made this one pop really well.

This 'un I think is going to win.  Beautiful blending, great base, and some conversion work to change it from a dark eldar flying unit into a Warhammer NPC called Valkia.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That sounds pretty good (coverage-wise, I mean). I eventually plan on getting some Vallejo paints as well, so that way I can pick and choose which paints I want to use for a project. I'd also heard that Vallejo's metallics (I think it was the Model Air ones? The ones that were designed for airbrushing and so have really fine metallic flakes in them) were really good, so I'll grab some of them down the road here.

Also I just got some Vallejo Surface Primer in the mail and I'm very impressed with it. I got the USN Light Ghost Grey and it really goes on quite nicely thus far. :)

I really like the Vallejo metallics. Especially the liquid gold series (alcohol based) which are significantly better than anything else I've ever used

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lethemonster posted:

I've been painting up a tank in wintery camo colours. Doing a practice run before I paint up a baneblade to sell.

Still got a way to go but I do love me some battered tanks.

I only count 34 rivets when there should be 35 rivets. 0/5

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

More WIP of my Kingdom Death Slenderman

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Can I mix GW base paints with layer paints to make up transition colors for layering?

For example, WAAAGH! Flesh (base) and Warboss Green (layer). I know the base paints have a higher pigment count but can I mix the two, thin it down and get a transition color? Or do base and layer paints not play nice?

Warboss is just so much brighter than WAAAGH!...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Haven't had any problems with it myself. Just make sure it gets to a color you like and a consistency you like.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah supposedly Base paints are thicker and more opaque but in the handful of colors I have tried I haven't really noticed a difference between Base and Layer.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

LordAba posted:

I only count 34 rivets when there should be 35 rivets. 0/5

Well that's cause of battle damage duh

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If there is a new thread on the way, I'm gonna get this massive image dump post out the way into this one.

Found a case full of old old mans and had my camera set up to go.

All painted between the ages of about 13 and 19ish. (late 90s mostly)

I was over the moon on the skin on this guy at the time

My namesake, and I still miss tittilating pink

Just lookit that lil fucker on the far right. Awesome model

My younger self though the fella in the middle was the greatest thing ever

Still really love this model

:siren: Freehand skull! :siren: Also rad troosers

Conversion it looks like?

Yep

And the last thing I painted before this thread made me pick up a brush again in 2009ish

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.
These are totally rad. Also, you've given me hope that I can one day be as good as you are now. Thanks for posting these!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You should feel proud of those awesome old minis. Perfect green on those Gobbos!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
All of those own but

Who was that masked boar?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mr. Squishy posted:

All of those own but

Who was that masked boar?

Borro.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Don Porco de la Catessen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
These guys rule; I wish my teenage paintjobs looked that good. The Goblin Green bases are just icing on the cake. I just brought the lot of my old minis to my place so I'll have to dig them out and take some pictures. Hint: They look nowhere near as good as those greenskins.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Those old Goblins are really decent; I wouldn't feel embarrassed if I were able to consistently and easily do that sort of work.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Trust me when I say there is a lot of terrible terrible stuff before these. I'd take a picture but they're in a box in an attic somewhere far away..

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Marvel at how much character we had, and weep at its loss.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

3rd-5th edition Orcs & Goblins were the best. So much character and personality was lost when GW switched to the boring Brian Nelson gorilla-hulks :(

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

More Slenderman WIP

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Silhouette posted:

3rd-5th edition Orcs & Goblins were the best. So much character and personality was lost when GW switched to the boring Brian Nelson gorilla-hulks :(
I love Brian Nelson's Orks, but the aesthetic is super different and a lot more brutal. They still have some fun (mostly with grots) but the modern Orks are so much less cartoony than the old ones. There's room in my heart for both though!

dr_ether posted:

More Slenderman WIP

I'm not usually big on Malifaux models, but this dude is genuinely creepy and your paintjob's definitely doing the model justice.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

SRM posted:

I'm not usually big on Malifaux models, but this dude is genuinely creepy and your paintjob's definitely doing the model justice.

That's because it is not Malifaux but Kingdom Death.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dogboat came in second, bringing honor to the house of Russ and bringing me twenty five bucks that went towards next month's contest entry.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Crosspostin from the 40k thread:

BULBASAUR posted:

Finally got my order of Castellax and Thallax in, but I can't decide on a color scheme for them. They're going to be Dark Mechanicus under an Iron Warrior detachment, but I don't want to cover them in hazard stripes or gunmetal. Here's how I paint my dudes:

Here's the most appealing color scheme I've found:

Maybe brass with silver and green weapons? I could paint one of their shoulder pads white and give it some black stripes or something.

Any suggestions?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Any suggestions?

Id say maybe give the black shoulders on the thallax something to break it up . Right now its just kind of flat , otherwise great work!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

Any suggestions?

Hazard stripes over every inch of the model.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

Any suggestions?

Needs some yellow somewhere for visual interest.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What's the best way to build up a good yellow on something that's been primed black? My initial thought was to lay down another color underneath it, like an orange or something, but I don't know how viable that is.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Also maybe one or two bullet pockmarks. Little dent with a black streak and a thin silver streak inside that.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

PantsOptional posted:

What's the best way to build up a good yellow on something that's been primed black? My initial thought was to lay down another color underneath it, like an orange or something, but I don't know how viable that is.

Brown, orange, yellow, has to be done in stages or it will look splotchy as hell, better alternative, mask it and use an airbrush and be done in 60 seconds.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
No airbrush to be had, but thank you. I would have missed the brown step entirely and my yellow would likely suffer for it. Thankfully I don't have to do too much of it - just a couple of shoulder pads for some Deathwatch.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tausept Ochre or whatever the new one is will go straight over black, then you're halfway there already

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

Any suggestions?

Try the hazard stripe look on just the frontmost segment of the 'canopy' shape on their top. They're robots so they don't need to see out of there, and it would make it so that you don't have to do a ton of striping. Then green on the shoulder, and rust the hell out of the main parts, but expose the gunmetal the most around the parts that move--like the joints, feet, hands, and weapon muzzle.

And use the copper trip for edge highlighting on the various gears, clips, wires, and so forth. Let the flat parts be mostly rusted with a little bit of gun metal underneath. Maybe some scratches.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just 'some' scratches? Clearly you don't know how I work.

But seriously, thanks guys!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Cross-post from the oath thread:

One Killa Kan with 4 swappable arms thanks to the power of magnets :science:

I made a GIF!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

More Slenderman WIP

bokbok
Jan 12, 2006

do you like my hat?
^ That Slenderman is looking super creepy, I like the socks a lot xD

New to painting help please?

I'm in the over thinking stage of painting my next model. I tried some wet blending on the large plate area which gets a little washed out by my lighting in this picture. I'm pretty okay with it but then I started painting the brown and the plan was to add a metallic over the top to make them a really bright gold (you can kinda see this on the top spikes) but since this photo I've started doing this and now I have decided that I like the bold cartoony look of the plain brown but then do I have to wet blend everything on the model? Would it be best to leave this a solid colour and just wash and highlight?

Are there some good rules on what painting techniques to/not to mix? eg if I wet blend some parts on a model do I have to wet blend everything/avoid layering elsewhere?

Do you have any examples, good or bad, of many different paints (non metallic/metallic) and techniques, especially wet blending, on the same model?

Also do I need to highlight the rivets on the metallics with brighter metallics because that gold is already pretty bright? argh what am I even doing :byodame:

edit: Here is an earlier photo of my wet blending for feedback. After I did this I realised it looked far too orange instead of yellow and would probably clash with the pink. I had a little trouble picking colours for blending my yellow since I wanted the overall effect to be BRIGHT yellow so I didn't wanna use a mustardy colour.

bokbok fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 1, 2014

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Paint's starting to obscure some of the sculpting. Might want to do some really careful sanding before anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Old model time!

Darkrasp, Death Priest from Reaper.

This guy is close to 5 years old I think (probably more like 4) and was not only my first foray into OSL, but also wet blending for his robe. I think I used him originally for Mordheim as a necromancer, and the other day I fished him out to touch up some missing paint, pop him on a new base, and revarnish him. I'm still really proud of how he came out, and while I could probably do a better job now, I learned a whole lot with this dude.

One of the old Banshees from GW. Did about 2 years ago, roughly, and which also got a fresh coat of varnish and better photos.

Older models may have some goofy charm to them, but not the VC line; most of the old models are pretty ugly. This one I still like, if only for her giant monster-hands and fetching jewelry.

• Locked thread