Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Looks like rumor has it the firmware fix will come out mid-October. Are 840 EVO firmware updates non-destructive? Not sure if I should wait or purchase one now based on that. I'd be willing to roll the dice on Crucial but it has to be mSATA and the M500s or whatever look like they suck next to the MX100s.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Looks like rumor has it the firmware fix will come out mid-October. Are 840 EVO firmware updates non-destructive? Not sure if I should wait or purchase one now based on that. I'd be willing to roll the dice on Crucial but it has to be mSATA and the M500s or whatever look like they suck next to the MX100s.

Probably won't know until Samsung officially announces anything, and what the issue actually is, and etc. The one firmware update I did was non-destructive, but who knows what the future holds.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Are 840 EVO firmware updates non-destructive?

As a rule of thumb, always assume any firmware update is going to brick everything. That way, you won't be caught off guard when it eventually happens.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That being said, I've happily installed firmware updates on my evo before with no issues.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My Evo didn't come with the Samsung Magician installed due to being a OEM kit, but there shouldn't be any problems just installing the Magician software from their site, right? At least it doesn't mention any difference between the OEM and other kit.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's what I did.

That said, I'm not using RAPID because it would break and disable itself every time I slept my laptop. But I'm pretty sure that's a one-off problem rather than an inherent problem of downloaded Samsung Magician.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I use downloaded Magician because I didn't put an optical drive in my computer. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference other than downloaded being a newer version

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Moatman posted:

I use downloaded Magician because I didn't put an optical drive in my computer. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference other than downloaded being a newer version

Yeah, that's the main difference as far as I can tell. If you install from the disc it will find updates online anyway, which means installing from the disc isn't really any better unless you don't have your network driver installed yet or something.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I've just booted up my system for the first time and I have an SSD as my main drive, is there anything I should install for it? (It is the MX100 512 gb)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pimpmust posted:

My Evo didn't come with the Samsung Magician installed due to being a OEM kit, but there shouldn't be any problems just installing the Magician software from their site, right? At least it doesn't mention any difference between the OEM and other kit.

It'll depend on the firmware. The 128GB 830 that came in my T430s didn't even show up in Magician

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
So, uh, I updated the BIOS, installed Windows, ran Windows Update a million times, started getting everything rolling again. Remembered to install Magician from the OP and it tells me AHCI isn't enabled. I thought for sure that I did it, but maybe I did it before updating my BIOS? So... that could be a problem.

I tried turning it on in the BIOS settings but that just makes Windows (7) bluescreen when it tries to start. Changing it back to IDE mode made it start working normally again.

Am I just doomed to reinstall Windows again? :negative:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ignoranus posted:

So, uh, I updated the BIOS, installed Windows, ran Windows Update a million times, started getting everything rolling again. Remembered to install Magician from the OP and it tells me AHCI isn't enabled. I thought for sure that I did it, but maybe I did it before updating my BIOS? So... that could be a problem.

I tried turning it on in the BIOS settings but that just makes Windows (7) bluescreen when it tries to start. Changing it back to IDE mode made it start working normally again.

That's probably best. I mean, you could *try* uninstalling the IDE drivers and installing the SATA drivers, then reboot into the BIOS and switch to AHCI, then boot up normal - that might work...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

No, just follow the instructions in this KB:

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/922976

quote:

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That's probably best. I mean, you could *try* uninstalling the IDE drivers and installing the SATA drivers, then reboot into the BIOS and switch to AHCI, then boot up normal - that might work...

gently caress it, I'll just reinstall. I've got my laptop and phone to still use the internet and stuff on, it's just frustrating when I've finally gotten it working again.

EDIT: I reply and already a new answer has appeared. gently caress, you guys are good.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

gently caress it, I'll just reinstall. I've got my laptop and phone to still use the internet and stuff on, it's just frustrating when I've finally gotten it working again.

EDIT: I reply and already a new answer has appeared. gently caress, you guys are good.
edit, uh huh

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

r0ck0 posted:

No, just follow the instructions in this KB:

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/922976

The instructions appear to say I only have to modify one entry or the other, but not both, is that right?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Go ahead and change both to 0. Report back if it works.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My local computer store has Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB for $169 (canadian $). The 850 of the same capacity is $220. Does the bug affect the 840 PRO as well as the EVO? How much faster is 850 vs 840? This deal seems quite nice to be honest.

Found this chart: http://techreport.com/review/26701/samsung-850-pro-solid-state-drive-reviewed/8
If techreport is correct, then the difference is not that big, unless the drive is also affected by the bug, in which case :(.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 26, 2014

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

r0ck0 posted:

Go ahead and change both to 0. Report back if it works.

Worked like a charm, thanks so much!. I feel extra sheepish because I went to Wikipedia out of curiosity about what AHCI is and it literally mentions this specific issue in the Wiki article.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

Worked like a charm, thanks so much!. I feel extra sheepish because I went to Wikipedia out of curiosity about what AHCI is and it literally mentions this specific issue in the Wiki article.

Cool, glad it worked.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rhag posted:

My local computer store has Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB for $169 (canadian $). The 850 of the same capacity is $220. Does the bug affect the 840 PRO as well as the EVO? How much faster is 850 vs 840? This deal seems quite nice to be honest.

Found this chart: http://techreport.com/review/26701/samsung-850-pro-solid-state-drive-reviewed/8
If techreport is correct, then the difference is not that big, unless the drive is also affected by the bug, in which case :(.

The 840 Pro isn't affected by the firmware bug:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I bought my dad a 840 EVO to throw in a brand new Dell. Someone gave me the impression that Samsung's data migration program would be able to clone the OS drive from Dell on the to SSD and everything would be good to go. That didn't seem to work. The SSD OS just hangs at one of the Windows (8.1) loading screens (forget if it was before or after the user account login). I'm not surprised, as the Samsung ran without a restart and indicated it would not be able to copy locked files.

Anyway, my plan is to have him use Dell's backup software to create a Windows re-install thumb drive, then start fresh on the SSD. Will that work (any issues booting to the SSD w/ Dell's UEFI BIOS)? Any other course of actions to consider?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 26, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Splinter posted:

I bought my dad a 840 EVO to throw an a brand new Dell. Someone gave me the impression that Samsung's data migration program would be able to clone the OS drive from Dell on the to SSD and everything would be good to go. That didn't seem to work. The SSD OS just hangs at one of the Windows (8.1) loading screens (forget if it was before or after the user account login). I'm not surprised, as the Samsung ran without a restart and indicated it would not be able to copy locked files.

Anyway, my plan is to have him use Dell's backup software to create a Windows re-install thumb drive, then start fresh on the SSD. Will that work (any issues booting to the SSD w/ Dell's UEFI BIOS)? Any other course of actions to consider?

I've used Macrium Reflect Free to clone a live install before (it was win7 not win8 but it shouldn't make a difference). I've also used CloneZilla to image drives from a boot disc but it's not as user friendly. There are other options but those are the ones I've used. If you need to, the Windows backup and restore should also work, it's a little clunky, though.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I've currently got a Crucial SSD that runs fine, but at 128GB I never have any space.

I planned on grabbing an 840 EVO soon but is it smart to wait until the firmware comes out on the 15th? Will I notice any problems between now and then?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BitterAvatar posted:

I've currently got a Crucial SSD that runs fine, but at 128GB I never have any space.

I planned on grabbing an 840 EVO soon but is it smart to wait until the firmware comes out on the 15th? Will I notice any problems between now and then?

It might be that my drive doesn't have the issue yet or I'm just used to a HDD instead of SSD, but I haven't really noticed the problem after a week and a halfish.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

You shouldn't notice any notable problems between now and then; my three week old 500GB EVO's oldest data is still reading at a minimum ~75 MB/s (SATA II, so that's ~1/3 of max practical speed). Probably slower than your Crucial, but still notably better than a HDD.

The bigger hangup would be confidence in Samsung fixing it and, in the process, not screw things up entirely (always a concern with firmware) or having permanent (unavoidable) decrease in some metric (lifespan or whatever) with how it was fixed. That probably won't be known until some time has passed after the firmware fix is deployed.

If you're ready to pull the trigger, you should be fine through to the firmware fix. How pleased we'll be with the firmware fix waits to be seen.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Looks like there's a date on the fix for the Samsung 840 Evo bug.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8570/firmware-update-to-fix-the-samsung-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug-coming-on-october-15th

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
I was told this might be a good place to post about having a 256 GB 840 Pro for sale. I'm asking $150, but I'm flexible on the pricing. It's less than a month old, with fewer than 2 hours of operational use. Love the drive, but with a single bay laptop, I need something bigger.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664324&pagenumber=1#lastpost

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
AnandTech and TechReport reviewed Micron's M600. It's aight.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It appears to perform as bad as the MX100

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech has uncovered widespread fraud with Crucial SSDs: The claimed power-loss protection feature in client drives does not exist. Both Micron enterprise drives and Crucial consumer drives have a capacitor array on the PCB, but this array doesn't hold enough energy on consumer drives for data "in-flight" to be written before the drive shuts off. This is incredibly frustrating both because I know people in this thread and elsewhere bought the MX100 because of the claimed power-loss protection, and because Kristian from Anandtech specifically asked Micron about this and it was not disclosed at that time Basically, Micron's argument is that there's enough power to finish writing any cells that are currently being programmed, which reduces the chance of the drive itself bricking due to a power-loss, but just like any unprotected drive your data may be unreadable or the filesystem may be left in an unmountable state, and any data you were saving DEFINITELY won't be there.

Train analogy: Crucial claims their engines have backup power and can get the train to the destination even if they run out of gas. It turns out they just unhook all but the first car and abandon the others to their fate, and then go "but at least we didn't lose the whole train, right?"

When combined with the broken TRIM and overall firmware quality issues on the M600/MX200(?), I think we've confirmed Crucial is the new OCZ and nobody should ever buy their drives. This isn't an honest mistake, this is just Crucial intentionally lying to and dicking over customers.

Also, I'm officiating a wedding this coming weekend so I have less time to devote to the forums right now. I'll try to keep up but I'm prioritizing things. Sorry!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

It appears to perform as bad as the MX100
Gonna make a second post with technical opinions on this drive itself rather than Crucial: I was really excited because using a tiered memory system where you have a smaller amount of fast memory caching a larger amount of slower memory is an elegant, efficient solution to getting a lot of performance for a low price. Unfortunately I think The Micron M600 serves more to warn us of how hard it is to get this right than to demonstrate how good this feature can be. In a way I think the Samsung 840 Evo spoiled us, because TurboWrite largely Just Worked(tm), without causing a noticeable performance loss as the cache emptied. Check out these graphs:

On the left is the sustained write performance of the various Samsung 840 Evo models, on the right is the Micron M600 256GB. The 840 Evo has two performance plateus: gently caress-off fast because you're working in SLC cache, and normal speed because you're working in TLC main memory. The M600 has three: gently caress-off fast in the SLC cache, normal speed in the MLC, then gently caress-off slow because the drive is fighting for time to empty its cache with the writes you're doing. Even though the MLC NAND in the M600 256GB is a good 25% faster than the TLC in the 840 Evo 250GB at sustained writes, it actually comes in less than half as fast because it spends half its time loving with the cache. Look at TechReport's Mean Service Time results, particularly in comparison with the Samsung 840 Evo, which has to do most of the same management.

I feel weird singing the praises of Samsung's firmware while we're still waiting for a fix for the slowdown issue, but I mean goddamn look at that graph on the right up there that firmware is like half-done!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Exciting times to get SSD drives (SS drives? :hitler:), that's for sure.

Exciting :ohdear:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The SSD Megathread: The Samsung 840 EVO is still awesome (for data < than 1 month old), but every other drive still sucks.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SourKraut posted:

The SSD Megathread: The Samsung 840 EVO is still awesome (for data < than 1 month old), but every other drive still sucks.

I wonder what is going to happen with Samsung's OEM SSDs. The SSD in my laptop is a MZMTD256HAGM that isn't recognized by Samsung's magician software, but is supposedly based on the 840 EVO. Given that these drives aren't recognized by the Samsung software, doesn't it seem like they probably won't get a firmware update?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is there any way to test for the EVO bug with a linux tool?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grumpwagon posted:

You can dd your disk to /dev/null and watch the speed as it goes.
There is probably a better tool out there though.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

hdparm might be a way to test it from the command line. The other is apparently benchmarking the drive in gnome-disks and looking for the tell-tale slowdowns.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I ran DiskFresh on my 500GB 840 EVO, then ran HD Tach again. All those weird sub-100MB/sec spots are gone.

The program is supposed to read every byte of data and re-write it back to the SSD. It's like running a defrag to freshen the data, except this program will re-write everything, not just fragmented files.

Yes, it uses up a write cycle. So my drive's lifetime writes went up by 0.5TB, which may not be a whole lot, in the grand scheme of things. I'll probably run DiskFresh again after updating the SSD's firmware in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Why not wait and see if the firmware update works like it's supposed to? :confused:

• Locked thread