Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Drifter posted:

Also, why make a big deal about the Warden if they're not even going to be on screen? :jerkbag:

They should have lots of mirrors in-game so you could constantly admire your terrible creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nopantsjack posted:

Thats basically the plan, planning to DA5 means DA:I is the start of a new trilogy and retcons are incoming.

That doesn't sound very likely and goes against their stated intent to have only loosely connected stories in the Thedas setting. And what kind of retcons do you see coming?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

their stated intent to have only loosely connected stories in the Thedas setting.

Trilogies don't have to be directly connected stories.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

Trilogies don't have to be directly connected stories.

Uhh, yes they do. That's what a trilogy is.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
A trilogy doesn't have to follow the same cast like ME did. The three stories can be for example be connected by an overarching plot, by all being set in the same setting, or by exploring the same themes.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Uhh, yes they do. That's what a trilogy is.

Not always. It can just be three works set in the same setting, or with connected themes. William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy shares one minor character across three books.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Not always. It can just be three works set in the same setting, or with connected themes. William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy shares one minor character across three books.

But in that case there won't be a trilogy anyway, since there will be 5 games in the same setting.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

But in that case there won't be a trilogy anyway, since there will be 5 games in the same setting.

Tell that to Douglas Adams.

Saoirse
Jun 24, 2004

Drifter posted:

I trust Bioware to implement any of those cool sounding gameplay features in an actually interesting manner about as much as I trust Peter Molyneux.

Also, why make a big deal about the Warden if they're not even going to be on screen? :jerkbag:

They're hardly making a big deal of it, people are constantly asking and they answered the question.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If anything they tired to downplay it, but people kept freaking out about it.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Anyone care to remind me on what the deal is with the lore on Dragons and Gryphons? Because all I can remember is their both nearly extinct after some gigantic rear end cull or war.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nevarran dragon hunters nearly drove dragons to extinction, but they've made a comeback world wide and this was significant enough for them to name the entire century after them. No one really knows why they're back.

Griffons were native to a mountain range that was embroiled in the 90 year long second blight and, like much of the Anderfels, became an unsustainable wasteland afterwards. Unable to flourish in their native environment, the taint passing even into their eggs, griffins proved difficult to relocate and rehabilitate and they slowly died out over the course of about five-hundred years. Then the book Last Flight happened and maybe someone found some viable eggs?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Nevarran dragon hunters nearly drove dragons to extinction, but they've made a comeback world wide and this was significant enough for them to name the entire century after them. No one really knows why they're back.

Griffons were native to a mountain range that was embroiled in the 90 year long second blight and, like much of the Anderfels, became an unsustainable wasteland afterwards. Unable to flourish in their native environment, the taint passing even into their eggs, griffins proved difficult to relocate and rehabilitate and they slowly died out over the course of about five-hundred years. Then the book Last Flight happened and maybe someone found some viable eggs?

Spoiler for Last Flight:

During the Fourth Blight, the Wardens had the Griffons undergo the Joining and controlled through Blood Magic to prevent them form immediately killing themselves. This made them much more aggressive and deadly against Darkspawn. But it had the unknown side effect of spreading the Taint to other Griffons and their eggs, which lead to their extinction. The sister of Garahel, the Hero of the Fourth Blight and the one who first put the Griffons through the Joining, takes 13 Griffon eggs and purges the Taint from them by taking the corruption within herself, and hides them in suspended animation until they are discovered near the beginning of Inquisition.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

Spoiler for Last Flight:
A few generations down the line, the reborn griffins are going to be so inbred it's not even funny.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EightDeer posted:

A few generations down the line, the reborn griffins are going to be so inbred it's not even funny.

It's the Dragon Age BIOWARE universe, so in a couple generations you'll have little cats with wings, big cats with wings, -taur people, short -taur people, maybe(?) horses with wings, gryphons with people faces, people with tails, people with wings, feathery dragons, dragons with cat paws and fuzzy ears, and one confused as hell line of stone golems with wings.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Twitch stream is starting now- supposed to be new gameplay stuff.

http://www.twitch.tv/bioware

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like the title screen.

But it gets kind of funny over time

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That's a really bitching mustache. If nothing else, they're giving me a reason to buy this as a dress-me-up simulator.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I am digging this character customization.

And that mustache.

Edit: Your hero, ladies and gentlemen:

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 29, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

I am digging this character customization.

And that mustache.

If I can't hang beads and jewellery and poo poo from the horns of my Qunari I'm going to be very angry about a video game.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So instead of helmets, Qunari have warpaint.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ -

Suspicious Cook posted:

And now so do humans, apparently.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Nice touch that the character portraits become more beat up if you take a lot of damage.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, it's not like they had us just pick a col-- oh wait :v:

This is awesome. "Engrish" should be a valid language choice.

Dragon Age: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is being recorded, yes? Because I can't watch it at the office. Love the avatar they put together.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

One thing confirmed in that stream that I don't think I'd heard before is that there are no bars/meters or numeric values assigned for companion approval. No more "Varric approves +10", instead it's "Varric approves" or "Varric greatly approves" or so on when you do or say things that matter to them, and since there is no bar to check you can only gauge a companion's relationship with you through context cues, the way they talk to you, etc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That character creator does look really good, lots of options. And they have nice bright lighting and allow you to zoom in very far, something an amazing number of games get wrong. Like Oblivion, christ, the number of times I totally misjudged skin and hair colour in that character creator thanks to the lighting they used.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Lotish posted:

This is being recorded, yes? Because I can't watch it at the office. Love the avatar they put together.

They will "archive it" they said. Not sure if they talked about VOD on twitch or their youtube channel, but you'll be able to watch it somewhere later.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Checking BSN and while all of them really liked the CC, some were disappointed that there were only short-hair options for Qunari and that going hornless has only one hairstyle attached to it.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 29, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's already archived, in case you missed the stream. I have mixed feelings on what they showed of the combat, but I was distracted so I don't really have the full sense of what they were doing. My first impression was that the difficulty is in a pretty decent place, but that might have been entirely because their party was gimped.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's already archived, in case you missed the stream. I have mixed feelings on what they showed of the combat, but I was distracted so I don't really have the full sense of what they were doing. My first impression was that the difficulty is in a pretty decent place, but that might have been entirely because their party was gimped.

developers are also notoriously bad at playing their own games.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Though to be fair, Laidlaw and Lee looked at least reasonably competent (considering they were also talking at the same time) and not full "Chris Avellone vs Arcanum's first area's wolves".

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Dragon Age: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I would play the gently caress out of that with a crossdressing Qunari adherent of Orlesian fashion.

edit: First DA:I character runthrough decided.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Always hate it when they go the "we're limiting character creation options here to be more friendly to what we think the lore is" route since it's always about stupid poo poo that they themselves will overturn or be inconsistent about as the series goes on and the concept artists or writers suddenly decide they want different characters; it's not like hair dye doesn't exist or this race or that race is literally incapable of getting their hair a certain way, getting certain tattoos or scars.

Beyond that, I'm super "please don't" on the class specific barriers and at least hope they're only hiding bonus items you don't need or something. I feel like they've misunderstood the complaints about needing rogues for utility by making it so you need everybody for utility. That just creates more complaints! The problem wasn't the Rogue, it was needing any one thing for utility! Best case they have realized this and set it up so every barrier'd area can be accessed by a barrier of every type, but worst case you really will need every class in the party at all times to not miss stuff.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Ahh, Laidlaw confirmed on twitter there is no heal spell- only barrier and guard.

:(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

But there is a ranged revive spell, so if someone goes down mid fight you can pick them up with that.

Cameron Lee just put up a quick video showcasing the creator, including dwarves and elves, which weren't covered in the Twitch stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZilJMncZ6g

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 30, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jesus, the scars on that dwarf in the middle look loving brutal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

Jesus, the scars on that dwarf in the middle look loving brutal.

That's why dads should legally bound to teach their sons how to shave.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Leelee posted:

Ahh, Laidlaw confirmed on twitter there is no heal spell- only barrier and guard.

:(

No heal spell at all? That taking things a little far isn't it? Even Dragon's Dogma let you have some healing.

I mean, I can see why they'd want to encourage everyone to work together more instead of just making the mage play full time medic (why Spirit Healer is gone as well), but that really threatens to make adventuring a slog of attrition. You'd think that they'd go the opposite direction and let both rogues and warriors have their own heal abilities. All the heals could be limited to the point where anyone could keep the party running on fumes indefinitely, letting them finish any area, but still be forced to pick their battles or be wiped.

Really taking all non-potion healing just seems too extreme. I guess we'll have to wait for the game to come out to see if that's as damaging as it seems.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There's a class of special abilities that use Focus, and I believe earlier they said there is a regeneration power that uses Focus instead of mana as an "oh poo poo" kind of thing. That may have been the aforementioned revive, though, because it was super unclear.

Personally, I'm entirely for it so far. We saw there are plenty of ways to avoid getting hurt, and you're supposed to set up camps to recuperate and replenish your potions during exploration. They also mentioned that you can equip specialty potions (like elf root regeneration, I believe was an example Laidlaw used) to individual characters as part of their loadout. So really with proper preparation you should be able to handle it just fine.

That reminds me of something Cameron said in an interview the other day: Apparently, since the game continues after you beat the final boss, there is some content that even completionists will find difficult even at max level (max level being whatever level you are after you've driven literally everything else in the world to extinction, because they say there is no set limit).

• Locked thread