Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

RBA Starblade posted:

Victory Achieved! The Ivory King is a cool fight. I like how one of the dark queens decided she isn't interested too. Alsanna's okay in my book.

For what, btw? I have one.

You will get the Loyce armor set, in 3 steps (first 2 pieces at 5, not sure at the other steps because i got too curious and used CE)
At the end you will get the soul of the queen, which you can turn into a curved sword at Ornifex. The sword has S scaling with dex but bad base damage. The special effect is that you can ABSORB hp with your R2 attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

You will get the Loyce armor set, in 3 steps (first 2 pieces at 5, not sure at the other steps because i got too curious and used CE)
At the end you will get the soul of the queen, which you can turn into a curved sword at Ornifex. The sword has S scaling with dex but bad base damage. The special effect is that you can ABSORB hp with your R2 attacks.

Where do you have to grind to get these souls in the first place?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Lyoce Greatsword seems pretty cool. It has a good moveset but seems a little low on damage. The Ivory King UGS is a super ISS too, which is great.

FrickenMoron posted:

Ah, cool. That seems like overkill for it though!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its related to the final boss.
There are 3 portals that will constantly summon burned Loyce Knights. They can drop their equipment and/or a Loyce Soul on death. You can earn these drops by killing them before killing the boss or helping out in coop. The droprate isnt too good, I got like 11 in 20+ fights.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Its related to the final boss.
There are 3 portals that will constantly summon burned Loyce Knights. They can drop their equipment and/or a Loyce Soul on death. You can earn these drops by killing them before killing the boss or helping out in coop. The droprate isnt too good, I got like 11 in 20+ fights.

Ahhhh so if you beat the boss you can only get them by being summoned or asceticing it? I think I just won't bother.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think you could in theory just drop down with 2 or 3 knights and quit out of the fight, but its more fun in coop anyways.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
You can just drop down there again after killing the boss. The portals are still there even if you froze them over during the boss fight and the knights spawn endlessly.

Is there some really obvious trick to the optional area that I'm missing? I've made it to the boss once but I must have killed over 20 reindeers on the way and was almost out of estus by the time I got there. I've tried running past them but by the time I have 3 or more following me I can't dodge all of their attacks reliably and there is no time to stop for healing which means I get picked to death before the boss. I thought there would be some gimmick like the reindeers would only spawn if you move during a blizzard(which would still be really tedious) but they just seem to spawn endlessly no matter what, often 2 during one blizzard when you get closer to the boss door.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, brightbugs make fighting Vendrick a lot easier. Now I have all four! The only boss I haven't beaten, or even tried to fight outside of as a phantom, is the ancient dragon, and I'm not ever going to. That was some really great dlc. I wonder if more will be planned or if this is it for Dark Souls 2.

quote:

I've tried running past them but by the time I have 3 or more following me I can't dodge all of their attacks reliably and there is no time to stop for healing which means I get picked to death before the boss.

Do not fight any of them, just use a green blossom and run. Summon a npc as a decoy then separate from them at the end if you need to (use Abbess for this, Head of Vengarl, when the game summons him, is a great tank at the boss).

e: I was kind of hoping there would be a second ending for doing everything, though I guess Vendrick makes it pretty clear what happens now.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Looks like it`s still not on steam. I`m grumpy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Looks like it`s still not on steam. I`m grumpy.

Restart steam.

Personally i'm just miffed that I don't have any of my saves and I don't particularly feel like grinding everything up again.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

e: I was kind of hoping there would be a second ending for doing everything, though I guess Vendrick makes it pretty clear what happens now.

that you saved humanity and are the strongest, most bestest human ever??

also i cannot wait to see the challenge runs for this 'cuz holy hell those are some insane challenges as a sendoff to dark souls 2

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Restart steam.

Personally i'm just miffed that I don't have any of my saves and I don't particularly feel like grinding everything up again.

No, It's just not on Steam. Only the season pass that allows access to it. I'd need to buy that to play right now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

No, It's just not on Steam. Only the season pass that allows access to it. I'd need to buy that to play right now.

Oh.

Yeah I got nothing. Sorry mate.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The release date was supposed to be 30 September. So try again tomorrow?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh.

Yeah I got nothing. Sorry mate.

They for sure pulled it for some insane reason. If you google it you get the indexed...

quote:

DARK SOULS™ II Crown of the Ivory King on Steam

store.steampowered.com/app/271944/

US$9.99
7 hours ago - "DARK SOULS™ II Crown of the Ivory King" is the third of 3 large-scale DLC additions to DARK SOULS™ II, and includes all-new stages, maps, ...

But when clicked the app page is missing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does anyone know what the bone fist upgraded stats are like because it's 14 damage at +0 :negative:

I'm hoping that the scaling ramps up a lot like some of the other DLC weapons - otherwise they're going to do trash damage. The base scaling is good though, slightly better than +10 Caestus it looks like.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, I was able to get to the Buy screen but when I click Buy nothing happens. Now when I reload it's gone. Oh well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fereydun posted:

that you saved humanity and are the strongest, most bestest human ever??

Basically yeah. Dark and Fire aren't just in balance they feed off each other so the more dark things are (and you are Dark as gently caress) the better the fire is. So pretty much you're so Dark and Fiery and your soul is so burly that you tell the curse to gently caress itself. I wish I had more game to play around with the dlc weapons. And more dragon bones. The Ivory UGS is pretty cool. I don't know what the shield you get from the optional boss is supposed to do though. Seems like a normal small shield to me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, brightbugs make fighting Vendrick a lot easier. Now I have all four! The only boss I haven't beaten, or even tried to fight outside of as a phantom, is the ancient dragon, and I'm not ever going to.
While I don't think it's a fun fight, there is a pretty foolproof tactic to it. (when I do kill him it only takes 2-3 tries to get the rhythm and kill):
Stand in his left foot between the inner two toes, so your right.
Slam away, fire breaths should miss you.
When he raises his foot evade it like any other giant enemy that tries to stomp you with it's foot.
When he flies up just stay on the shadow of the tail, you'll need to mind your stamina for this. Run back into his toes when he starts landing.

Like I said, not a very fun/great fight still, but beatable with ease.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Does anyone know what if the Vessel Shield does anything special? It mentions it 'heightens the abilities of its wearer'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bingo posted:

Does anyone know what if the Vessel Shield does anything special? It mentions it 'heightens the abilities of its wearer'

It increases several of your stats by varying amounts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's an even easier method which is to be able to two-hand the Gyrm Greatshield +5ish minimum. This is doable at just 20 stamina stats.

When he's about to do the AoE fire, as long as you're not directly under him, the greatshield will absorb two hits and stagger you but you'll be alive. Stand a little ahead of his head, then run in and hit his front foot when he does the sweeping fire attack. Repeat.

I find this method much more reliable for someone that didn't want to practice/experiment outrunning the AoE.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tae posted:

There's an even easier method which is to be able to two-hand the Gyrm Greatshield +5ish minimum. This is doable at just 20 stamina stats.

When he's about to do the AoE fire, as long as you're not directly under him, the greatshield will absorb two hits and stagger you but you'll be alive. Stand a little ahead of his head, then run in and hit his front foot when he does the sweeping fire attack. Repeat.

I find this method much more reliable for someone that didn't want to practice/experiment outrunning the AoE.
I never managed to pull that one off. :v: Besides shields are for pussies. :shepface:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Where is the optional area? Also I've only found 1 of the knights. Man I must have either completely skipped an area or it's stupid to get to.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
The DLC isn't showing up on steam for me for some reason.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, people have already beaten the new DLC bosses and stuff. What's the final reward for the three crowns?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Doctor Zaius posted:

It isn't out yet. Steam messed up and people with the Season Pass got it a day early for some reason.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Doctor Zaius posted:

They accidentally released it early and then pulled it, it seems. The result is that anyone who happened to get in on that window are in and I guess just gently caress the rest of us.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

They accidentally released it early and then pulled it, it seems. The result is that anyone who happened to get in on that window are in and I guess just gently caress the rest of us.

I was kind of excited as this is my only day to play this week. If I bought the pass, would I theoretically be able to play tonight? Hmm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, people have already beaten the new DLC bosses and stuff. What's the final reward for the three crowns?

Having all crowns gives you a permanent life protection effect when the Ivory Crown (I think just this one it's the one that sparkles) is equipped. Your curse is broken.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I was kind of excited as this is my only day to play this week. If I bought the pass, would I theoretically be able to play tonight? Hmm.

This worked.

Bye 15 dollars! BYE!
Being a parent and finding time to play video games is horseshit. Oh well. It's not like they said it would be out today, it was just a mistake (that they should have left alone but oh well no one died.)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

Having all crowns gives you a permanent life protection effect when the Ivory Crown (I think just this one it's the one that sparkles) is equipped. Your curse is broken.

It's all of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

It's all of them.

What's the red glowy effect on the Ivory one for then?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Do not fight any of them, just use a green blossom and run. Summon a npc as a decoy then separate from them at the end if you need to (use Abbess for this, Head of Vengarl, when the game summons him, is a great tank at the boss).

Turns out summoning an NPC was the key as I was able to make the run to the boss pretty easily with vengarl, thanks!

Unfortunately the fight ended up being a little weird since after taking a bit of damage Zallen decided to jump back up to the perch above the arena and just stand there with a sad look on its face as I pelted it to death with arrows.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

:( That is terrible. That's like Yoshi giving you 100 lives at the end of Mario 64. What is the point?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This worked.

Bye 15 dollars! BYE!
Being a parent and finding time to play video games is horseshit. Oh well. It's not like they said it would be out today, it was just a mistake (that they should have left alone but oh well no one died.)

Maybe this is what they wanted all along. From, you'll never take me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Turns out summoning an NPC was the key as I was able to make the run to the boss pretty easily with vengarl, thanks!

No problem! I think you had an easier time of it than I did. Turns out everything in the dlc is fairly weak to hexes except those guys, who are weak to lightning. The run I beat them on I summoned a phantom with a lightning rapier who tore them apart. Everything seems pretty resistant to magic but that's expected at this point.

Bobnumerotres posted:

:( That is terrible. That's like Yoshi giving you 100 lives at the end of Mario 64. What is the point?

Well it was why you went to Drangleic in the first place, after all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a soul vessel that can be easily nabbed in the DLC, or should I just ascetic the Majula Bonfire?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just got around to actually looking up what Mundane Infusions do and then got really excited about trying a jack-of-all trades mundane character but now I hear they nerfed mundane in the latest patch? Is it still worth trying out or should I continue to play the strength and faith builds that I played in Demons' and Dark Souls 1? I wanted to try out a dagger dual wielder/twinblade dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Can anyone tell me how to build a melee character? I'm still trying to figure out what to invest in stat wise and what to upgrade and play with so I don't waste titanite early on and such. I just need a good "this is what you do for your first 60-70 soul levels" guide. I'll hit lvl 80 probably just as/right before I set foot in the wharf so that gives you an idea. I'd look online but google is full of 12 year olds on gamefaqs who all think they have the secret to the most UBER build ever conceived.