Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Don't forget Epicurious getting possessed by a lord of change after his first or second use of a psychic power in a Black Crusade game. As hilarious as that was, I felt bad that he was out of play that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
So the past session I ran in Black Crusade was interesting. Having been trapped on an Inquisition frigate, the party had just slaughtered everyone in the cargo bay. Not being able to figure out exactly how to get off the frigate, they proceed to the brig and discover that the hundreds of prisoners kept in there are merely in 1 holding area out of hundreds. While trying to make the system release the doors of every cell on the ship, the group was attacked by murder servitors guarding the cell area.

This is where I discovered a problem. I've run Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader for over 6 years. While the iteration of the system makes it usually quite easy to go from one system to the next, it also creates a problem where I can't remember how the gently caress critical hits work and what the effects are. Until my player caught it, I thought he was dead because I was misremembering Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader and the die exploded 4 times.

Now the group is in the underdecks of the frigate, with thousands of escaped prisoners (of all different kinds of species), and the original crew still kind of alive. Their goal has changed from escape, to taking over the frigate so they can become chaos pirate kings!

I have a lot of mapping of potential combat areas to do...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Are there any where I can find alternate crit results, to spice up the regular ones? I usually just make up some on the fly with similar damage results, but I need inspiration.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
How do you guys generally handle Master Enginseer? I don't have the OW book in front of me right now, but if memory serves spending fate allows you to complete any Tech Use test succesfully in the quickest possible time, which is pretty open to, shall we say, creative use.

I played a Tech-Priest in my buddy's OW game, and I used it a few times to try on some bullshit, like shoulder mounting a Necron weapon on to myself (all glory to the wibbly gun). We really only tried to balance it by making "the quickest possible time" be a long time because doing stupid poo poo is fun, but it seems pretty open to interpretation. Thoughts?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Make it so every time he fires the Necron weapon he takes Fatigue since it draws a ridiculous amount of power from his Potentia Coil. Also doing that stuff is ridiculously tech heretical and should get you killed on the spot, unless you're a space marine Forge Master/Magos.

e: Doing that stuff would also need really hard Forbidden Lore (Necron) tests IMO

frajaq fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 27, 2014

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

frajaq posted:

e: Doing that stuff would also need really hard Forbidden Lore (Necron) tests IMO

Heresy aside *cough* I quite like the idea of requiring other knowledge to make stuff work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or have a Necron cryptek as one of your ship's senior officers, a host of scarabs and warriors to supplement your troops, and your grand cruiser refitted with an inertialess drive like the Rogue Trader game I'm running does, all courtesy of Trazyn the Infinite as payments for services rendered. :v:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Werix posted:

Yeah, I've always found that players really like hearing how their axe totally cleaved the guy's arm off, and I like to fill that in.

I like the Warhammer crit tables when it comes to players, since it allows for real danger and permanent effects from combat. In like pathfinder a player gets into crit, you bleed out, but then the cleric heals you and tada all is well.

Here the players can still survive, but now their toughness is lowered, or they're now missing an arm. But you're in the middle of a mission or something what to you do? The only thing you can, the person with the highest medicae patches them up, they pull their pistol in their remaining arm. It is like metal as poo poo.

I don't think i ever had a character loose a limb in combat though, closest I've come is a black crusade character getting the tentacle arm mutation and going "nope" and cutting his own arm off. Again metal as hell.

Or they've got true grit (read: the orks do) and crits do nothing, really)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dropping a space station on Cadia. How should I roleplay this and the longterm effects during the campaign.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ramp up the difficulty, let us steal the moon and drop it on Terra.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

simsense cumshots posted:

Dropping a space station on Cadia. How should I roleplay this and the longterm effects during the campaign.

The Imperium goes into insane panic "Oh gently caress the Cadian Gate is falling, send everything" mode. Every daemon prince who's half paying attention goes "Oooh! The Cadian gate is falling. I should get in on that" and comes to put their oar in.

Just keep raising the stakes until something breaks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A single space station isn't going to do much, unless it's huge and hit's an important spot. I mean, the "Cadian Gate" is Cadia itself. Every city is designed to allow troops to survive orbital bombardment so that the imperial troops can fight back against any invaders. You have to remember that every Black Crusade has to stop and try and kill everyone on the planet before they can move elsewhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I try to make all my characters from Cadia, if possible. (Because Cadia is awesome.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

I try to make all my characters from Cadia, if possible. (Because Cadia is awesome.)

My Rogue Trader game has a character from Nocturne. Even better.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Cythereal posted:

My Rogue Trader game has a character from Carlos McConnell. Even better.

We catgirl now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ronwayne posted:

We catgirl now.

Uh... no. Nocturne as in "The homeworld of the Salamanders." The ship's captain is an Imperial Guard veteran from one of the Salamanders' IG auxiliary regiments raised on Nocturne.

Tias
May 25, 2008

New Only War question: Under Command Tests, it states that Command can be used to "try to inspire his followers to greater efforts through praise, careful direction, or threats of violence. As a Full Action, the character can make a Challenging (+0) Command Test to inspire one or more of his followers. Inspired followers receive a +10 on their next Skill or Characteristic Test."

Does his fellow PC squaddies count as followers? Because giving everyone else in the squad on their next check is pretty cheesy imho.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I've always considered that bonus skill use to just affect 1 PC, like you're yelling really hard for them to not gently caress up their task. Like a commander/sergeant should do.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'd say it affects other PCs, up to the users usual limit for interaction skills. Remember, it's just a +10, and doing that means they're not doing whatever else they could do.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Or you just require that they have that Talent that lets them use social skills on larger groups of people to let them inspire everyone (the one that lets them affect Fellowship Bonusx10 people, and for bonus funsies, get the one that lets them affect Fel bonusx100 people). Which is the sensible thing to do, since then you can do a Buff-Comissar, especially when combined with Radiant Presence, Heroic Inspiration and the Comissar specific Talent, some Presence as well I think - the one that makes it easier for you to stop your allies from going bananas from fear. Every group I've ever played with has let Inspire affect Fel Bonus amount of people, PCs or not (or more if you have the required talents to improve it).

Also Buff Commissar is hilarious to play. You just yell at everyone to do their jobs better and give them death glares so they don't run from the terrifying monsters you face - and with Heroic Inspiration, the Inspire action only takes half a turn so you can shoot as well!

edit: blargh, why did I type Willpower Bonus

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 28, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

He's a sergeant, though. I like the requirement of Air of Authority, though.

What is the limit on number of people you can affect? Alternatively, which page is it on?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Base is fellowship bonus, modified by Air of Authority and Master Orator.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah a RT captain can do it once a round for free with no check to one person, so I'd say allow it with a check on a number of people up to a sarge's fellowship bonus and it wouldn't be OP or anything. More if they have applicable talents.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So how would one handle Horde vs Horde combat in Black Crusade? I know Tome of Blood has rules for HUGE CLIMATIC BATTLES but this is just 2 mobs slugging it out.

edit: gently caress nevermind this poo poo is in core book. im a retard

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Give both sides flame grenades, hilarity and chain reactions ensues.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Lore question - what is the deal with machine spirits and ships? Do all large ships have something like a borderline consciousness or something?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A long long time ago, pretty much everything had an AI of some sort or another in it. Then poo poo Happened and the AI soldiers started a war against the meat. After that AIs were very much banned. In 40k present day, machine spirits are either limited fragments of the old AIs (mostly the case with advanced archeotech thing and really huge things like ships and titans), reduced in status by intentional dismantling during the Age of Strife and by millennia of lovely maintenance, or just whatever function a computer or really any kind of mechanism has, called a spirit due to how ritualised the maintenance and operation of any sort of machine has become after knowledge of how they work was either lost, censored, or just ignored.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
However, in most cases for large entities, particularly titans, ships, major manufactories etc, but also things like Land Raiders, Baneblades etc, some or all of those not-AIs clearly cross the line into actually AIs.

Like most things about 40k, the Imperium is brutish and inconsistent in applying the rules where it suits it to be so.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Waci posted:

A long long time ago, pretty much everything had an AI of some sort or another in it. Then poo poo Happened and the AI soldiers started a war against the meat. After that AIs were very much banned. In 40k present day, machine spirits are either limited fragments of the old AIs (mostly the case with advanced archeotech thing and really huge things like ships and titans), reduced in status by intentional dismantling during the Age of Strife and by millennia of lovely maintenance, or just whatever function a computer or really any kind of mechanism has, called a spirit due to how ritualised the maintenance and operation of any sort of machine has become after knowledge of how they work was either lost, censored, or just ignored.

Where can I go to learn more about this?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

thespaceinvader posted:

However, in most cases for large entities, particularly titans, ships, major manufactories etc, but also things like Land Raiders, Baneblades etc, some or all of those not-AIs clearly cross the line into actually AIs.

Like most things about 40k, the Imperium is brutish and inconsistent in applying the rules where it suits it to be so.

Shush you, that sounds like heresy. Don't you know the Adeptus Mechanicus has explicitly banned everything to do with AIs?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

I think the idea is that those aren't "true" AI's because they're not self-improving. None of the Imperium's machines can build things that are themselves, only better. A lot of the Mechanicus stuff seems based around stopping that situation from ever occurring. Again.

The last time they had better toys and still nearly lost.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's been a grillion years since I've seen a Chaos Codex - do they have an equivalent? I'd imagine there's some sort of daemon possession on vehicles that they can muster up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they have vehicles with demons bound to them. You probably wouldn't want to ride inside one.

Tias posted:

Where can I go to learn more about this?

It's littered all over the place in old rulebooks and bad novels.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You're the first 40k fan I've seen describe Gaunt's Ghosts as bad novels. Other than appearing in one of the Gaunt books, it's one of the old core wargame rulebooks most of the details are from.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goatface posted:

I think the idea is that those aren't "true" AI's because they're not self-improving. None of the Imperium's machines can build things that are themselves, only better. A lot of the Mechanicus stuff seems based around stopping that situation from ever occurring. Again.

The last time they had better toys and still nearly lost.

If the definition of AI is 'self-improving machine that builds copies of itself', no they're not. But that's a loving terrible definition.

Titans and starships are very clearly sapient in a LOT of the novels. They have personalities, they speak to their users, they can run themselves if they need to in an emergency...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't like any of the novels.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Eh, I figure that if you're a Chaos Marine there are certain aspects of your life, like the walls of your Land Raider erupting into pulsating globules of corruption or the treads turning into tentacles, that become your new "normal."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If any of you have ever had the burning desire to create Dark Heresy 2.0 characters with a program called "Whiplash450's ToonGen", your long wait is over!

http://heresycreator.96.lt/

Seems to work decently, other than the unfortunate ToonGen naming.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

If the definition of AI is 'self-improving machine that builds copies of itself', no they're not. But that's a loving terrible definition.

Titans and starships are very clearly sapient in a LOT of the novels. They have personalities, they speak to their users, they can run themselves if they need to in an emergency...

They aren't typically capable of independent action. The Machine Spirit is basically they way the mechanicus refers to the individual quirks that result from a) tons and tons of hand-crafted poo poo following a thousand different similar templates, which means everything LOOKS similar, but every individual model and even each individual unit of a model has it's own little quirks and b) software that is barely understood being updated by people who don't know what anyone else has been doing resulting in the software being a huge cludgecode mess that nobody can sort out, so all sorts of weird bugs pop up. Add in people trying to INTERFACE with this software, and the strange reactions to commands and inputs makes the machines seem to have their own personality.

The stuff that seems borderline AI is when Titans and ships seem to retain some amount of the memories/personality of the former pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Seriously, actually read some of the books about titans in particular. They have their own names, personalities, ideologies and abilities, even when not connected to or not relying on their crew, in addition to the 'ghosts of old crewmen' thing.

In a lot of cases it seems to me the only reason they;re not capable of independent action is because they're built to require a human component (i.e. someone to pull the trigger/take the wheel), not because they're not artificially intelligent. Read Priests/Lords of Mars, for instance.

40k's inconsistent as gently caress about a lot of things though, and a lot of it is clearly on purpose. I don;t think it's a problem that they're using AIs as well as human brains to power their machines, it's just hypocritical, which is the Imperium all over.