Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I had no idea that Chris Plante left to work at the verge, but they literally couldn't find anyone else at polygon to fill in the podcast? Oh well I guess sometimes the besties was good and most of the time it was kinda bad. New York Giraffe rip

Griffin wrote up a statement and it was basically an admission that their most recent change to the format wasn't really working all that well so between having to find two more people and think of some other different format for the 10th time they're instead just gonna go do something else.

I still don't understand why they don't just do a casual "talk about video games/whatever for an hour" podcast like basically every other site does. I don't care about Polygon or follow them but I get the impression that they have enough readers/listeners that it wouldn't be a complete waste of time. I'd definitely tune in every once in a while if they had a cool guest on or were talking about a game I'm interested in. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Justin was tweeting about doing an in-depth podcast with reviewers that focuses each episode on a single game. That sounds way more interesting than another 'some guys bullshit about games/game news' podcast, as entertaining as Justin and Griffin could be on one of those.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

cbirdsong posted:

Justin was tweeting about doing an in-depth podcast with reviewers that focuses each episode on a single game. That sounds way more interesting than another 'some guys bullshit about games/game news' podcast, as entertaining as Justin and Griffin could be on one of those.

They could call it Look Out for Polygons.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Actually, I'd be interesting if they joined Duckfeed and took over the name of Watch Out for Lens Flare.

Duckfeed would skyrocket in popularity and the McElroy's would take over the network

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hell yeah, I am going to check my simple account balance to see if I can purchase some Nature Box Patreon or build a landing page with squares pace that has all my hot links to hulu plus and duckfeed.tv/tipjarmbotron

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any good examples of solo podcasts? Its a format popular for radio talk shows but the only video game one I can think of is Garnett on Games which I'm not even sure updates anymore.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I would adore a solo cast too, my favorite casts are 99% Invisible and Hardcore History; plus I'm getting a little tired of the whole "three to five guys sit around a table and talk about stuff" format (especially since some of the good ones are dipping in quality as of late).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh god I love hardcore history so much and would really enjoy 3-4 hours of a really passionate host talking about games. I don't know what kind of editing goes into it but Dan Carlin can't possibly just go unscripted in one sitting?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like the only person who could pull this off is Jeff Gerstmann, a dude who this thread is really mad at for some reason? He's super knowledgable especially about the early days of video games, and I would love to hear him do a podcast about that.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Jeff's Jar Time videos are great, they're basically solo video podcasts.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

al-azad posted:

Oh god I love hardcore history so much and would really enjoy 3-4 hours of a really passionate host talking about games. I don't know what kind of editing goes into it but Dan Carlin can't possibly just go unscripted in one sitting?

I've heard him say "we" on the show a couple times, and this might be "golden ears" syndrome, but I can detect some cuts in there from listening to years of NPR. I think he's got some help, a script or extensive notes, and I'm fairly sure it's edited. It's a drat fine show, I'm finishing up Blueprint for Armageddon IV tomorrow. It's over four hours. Editing or not, it's a really, really good show, and I wish there was anything comparable in video games or any other dang category.

WOFF comes pretty close to that level of detail with their full-length discussions, but you're not going to get that history-nerd zeal from video games, in my opinion, because history's real, and real hosed up.

You might get something like that from a book podcast, or maybe some college courses on literature, history, or other topics. The problem there, is that it would take a lot of looking to find a great professor, with a great audio setup. Actually I would be kinda interested in any superstars in that area if anyone has any they could recommend. Maybe "4 guys around a table" is getting kinda worn down.

There's also a podcast that I listen to infrequently called "How Did This Get Made?" where three hosts go over awful movies, riffing on the worst bits, but also some small-scale investigation over how indeed they did get made.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 30, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

It's not a podcast but Chrontendo does this for me. Also, what up How Did This Get Made buddy.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

doctorfrog posted:

I've heard him say "we" on the show a couple times, and this might be "golden ears" syndrome, but I can detect some cuts in there from listening to years of NPR. I think he's got some help, a script or extensive notes, and I'm fairly sure it's edited. It's a drat fine show, I'm finishing up Blueprint for Armageddon IV tomorrow. It's over four hours. Editing or not, it's a really, really good show, and I wish there was anything comparable in video games or any other dang category.

Ben's there ...if he exists.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Novolin posted:

Jeff's Jar Time videos are great, they're basically solo video podcasts.

Is there a reason why he doesn't put out Jar Time as an audio podcast?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

A while back I asked Jeff why they didn't do video podcasts because the studio they record in has a video setup (seen in Drew's Korea video and others) and I pointed to Tested who do audio and video podcasts by setting up cameras and mics in their studio or in Adam Savages shop or wherever they have to; the response I got was pretty much that it's a little more work for not a lot of gain, so I guess pulling the audio from a video would also be too much effort.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

I think on tumblr recently he mentioned he was considering putting it out as an audio thing in future.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't know what kind of editing goes into it but Dan Carlin can't possibly just go unscripted in one sitting?
Dude does hell of preparation and research and planning before even recording, and IIRC he doesn't have a script so much as basically cue cards.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also he's an (ex-)radio host so he's a true professional (i.e. has been speaking into mics for a living for a long time) so that also helps!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Szmitten posted:

A while back I asked Jeff why they didn't do video podcasts because the studio they record in has a video setup (seen in Drew's Korea video and others) and I pointed to Tested who do audio and video podcasts by setting up cameras and mics in their studio or in Adam Savages shop or wherever they have to; the response I got was pretty much that it's a little more work for not a lot of gain, so I guess pulling the audio from a video would also be too much effort.

I think Brad mentioned that, since taking over podcast hosting, he's been doing the editing, too, and he spends time editing out Ums and Ahs and various pauses. That would be a lot more more of a pain in a video podcast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bobulus posted:

I think Brad mentioned that, since taking over podcast hosting, he's been doing the editing, too, and he spends time editing out Ums and Ahs and various pauses. That would be a lot more more of a pain in a video podcast.

That's loving nuts. I used to do that, and it made me quit editing because it's so tedious to listen for something 3 times as long as the actual podcasst at times.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Tae posted:

That's loving nuts. I used to do that, and it made me quit editing because it's so tedious to listen for something 3 times as long as the actual podcasst at times.

Back in the early days of Idle Thumbs, I used to edit the podcasts a lot more heavily than I do now. At this point I basically chop out a break, crop it to the beginning and the end, bookend it with some dumb garbage if something funny is available, and that's it. There are times I miss doing elaborate or experimental things with the editing, but the amount of time it took just becomes untenable when it's added on top of all the other things you have to do in a day. It starts to make it all feel like a chore, which is dangerous when the thing in question isn't your actual job.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Real Time Edits are a fool's errand. I understand the desire to sound professional, but there's almost no return for that time investment. Also, over-editing can be detrimental.

Our editing game changed significantly once I started recording directly into Logic and was able to use markers. I listen intently as we record and place a flag on anything that needs attention (over talk, coughs, mistakes, breaks, section/level dividers, etc) and then we target those directly in the edit. It's a nice balance and a very sensible workflow.

When you get hung up on cutting out um's and err's, you release really polished episodes until you stop releasing anything at all because you don't have the time for it. See: You Look Nice Today.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chris Remo posted:

Back in the early days of Idle Thumbs, I used to edit the podcasts a lot more heavily than I do now. At this point I basically chop out a break, crop it to the beginning and the end, bookend it with some dumb garbage if something funny is available, and that's it. There are times I miss doing elaborate or experimental things with the editing, but the amount of time it took just becomes untenable when it's added on top of all the other things you have to do in a day. It starts to make it all feel like a chore, which is dangerous when the thing in question isn't your actual job.

I do like that you fade in the theme song. That's a nice bit of editing flair. But, yeah, editing every minor bit is a lot of work for potentially marginal gains. Sometimes it even hurts the cast, especially in your case where you have a very relaxed tone, and you could be hurting the flow of the conversation by cutting it up.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
As long as we get all those raw, unedited fart noises, I'm happy.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

editing for professionalism is a fools errand, but what about comedy? :( Purely auditory jokes are so rare, and so hilarious. Things like bringing up stirring music behind a Breckon rant (and cutting it at the right time) are seriously some of my favorite thumbs bits from the whole run.

ie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfgte5sW9mU

or the end of the kerbal stream

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That music that was played behind Sean reading Ode to Waluigi was the loving best.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Chris Remo posted:

Salacious Thumb is still one of my favorite episodes. :)

"I hear you play as Master Chief in this halo game." "Uhhhh..."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

_jink posted:

editing for professionalism is a fools errand, but what about comedy? :( Purely auditory jokes are so rare, and so hilarious. Things like bringing up stirring music behind a Breckon rant (and cutting it at the right time) are seriously some of my favorite thumbs bits from the whole run.

ie

I love that. :)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Editing for comedy is worth it. It's also far less tedious than trying to polish everything to a shine.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

_jink posted:

ie

Those aren't edits though!

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Chris Remo posted:

Those aren't edits though!

it's the same sentiment :argh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tae posted:

At that point you're probably going to save time and frustration by just hiring a speech coach for everyone.. :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Song For The Deaf posted:

Editing for comedy is worth it. It's also far less tedious than trying to polish everything to a shine.

See: the Patrick Klepek edit in one of the bombcasts where he says Microsoft won't reverse the drm stuff for a long time, and then in between the podcast being recorded and going up they did exactly that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

See: the Patrick Klepek edit in one of the bombcasts where he says Microsoft won't reverse the drm stuff for a long time, and then in between the podcast being recorded and going up they did exactly that.

It was taking Kinect out of the box (Patrick knew about the DRM as soon as anybody outside Microsoft) but I agree this is an all time great Bombcast moment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgScLb6EAPs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

:rip: Vinny Caravella

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AngryBooch posted:

It was taking Kinect out of the box (Patrick knew about the DRM as soon as anybody outside Microsoft) but I agree this is an all time great Bombcast moment.

Er, whoops, yeah, got the two big stories mixed up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Have any games podcasts talked about Wasteland 2, yet?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

They talked about it on the most recent VGHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Have any games podcasts talked about Wasteland 2, yet?

The last Quarter to Three episode was mostly about it.

I think it's kinda below the radar of a lot of the bigger casts. Man it's good, though, for my money.

• Locked thread