Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Valiantman posted:

The Federal Police of Russia is starting an official investigation. About what, you ask? Well, of course about the genocide of 2500 Russian speaking East-Ukranians in Donetsk and Luhansk. According to the police, several unnamed people in the political elite and military command of Ukraine, the Ukrainian national guard and the Right Sector meant to eradicate the entire Russian-speaking population there.

I'm not smiling here, not ever ironically. They're blaming the entire war they themselves instigated and fuelled on Ukranians and saying they killed all the dead people of the conflict. And they have the audacity to involve the police of Russia, as if the annexation of the East-Ukraine was already a matter of fact.

They also magically assume that all the victims are Russian speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

OddObserver posted:

They also magically assume that all the victims are Russian speakers.

We should think of them as Russian-speaking aspirants, for who wouldn't want to speak Russian!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The president of Nigeria wants to spend a billion dollars buying 12 military helicopters from Belarus. Belarus is more than happy to sell them to Nigeria.

There's just one problem though. Belarus doesn't manufacture military helicopters.

http://leadership.ng/news/385339/1bn-arms-loan-belarus-helicopter-manufacturing-country

What Belarus does do is take Soviet-era equipment and upgrade the technology, then sell these gently used pieces of equipment to other countries.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The president of Nigeria wants to spend a billion dollars buying 12 military helicopters from Belarus. Belarus is more than happy to sell them to Nigeria.

There's just one problem though. Belarus doesn't manufacture military helicopters.

http://leadership.ng/news/385339/1bn-arms-loan-belarus-helicopter-manufacturing-country

What Belarus does do is take Soviet-era equipment and upgrade the technology, then sell these gently used pieces of equipment to other countries.

Are the helicopters being bought by a prince who requires an initial payment by Belarus to make the transaction easier?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

my dad posted:

Are the helicopters being bought by a prince who requires an initial payment by Belarus to make the transaction easier?

What Goodluck Jonathan wants to see is a crackdown on Russian-linked financiers dealing with Boko Haram. How to best do so?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brown Moses, is any of this research being used by airline investigators?

Without being more specific, I expect so.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The party list of Internet Party of Ukraine for Rada elections is out:
http://www.cvk.gov.ua/pls/vnd2014/WP406?PT001F01=910&pf7171=179
... I think they have their #1 and #2 flipped, though?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Reports of a concentration camp in Donetsk, also, the mass graves of dead are people killed by Russians occupying Donetsk and Luhansk.

quote:

Near Donetsk and other cities in the East of Ukraine is the concentration camps and places of mass executions and torture.

This was stated by the head of the SBU Valentin Nalyvaychenko the TV channel "112 Ukraine".

He added that there are people who conceal information about the concentration camps.

Nalivaychenko also added that the mass executions of Ukrainian citizens were committed terrorist Girkinym and others who fled and have hiding in Russia.

http://24today.net/open/159241

Video of fighting near Illovaisk, so probably pre-ceasefire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-GEtrQCug

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 30, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Death to Putin, death to all separatists.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This sort of thing regularly happens with other secondhand Russian gear. Want some MiG-21s? Well Russia doesn't build them anymore, so maybe broker a deal via India, Ukraine, and Romania and get upgraded cockpits for them along the way? Likewise I think a bunch of East Germany's MiG-29 fleet ended up in Poland. Plus I'm sure all kinds of wacky small arms deals out of Eastern European stocks.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Death to Putin, death to all separatists.

Come on now, this is getting tiresome and adds nothing to the Debate and Discussion.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, most of the fall in the rouble is probably due to falling oil prices than anything else, sanctions aren't helping obviously much the majority of Russian exports are petroleum based, so a rapid fall in prices is going to really hurt them.

The hit the rouble took around 2008-2009ish correlated with the pop of the oil bubble. It is almost certainly deeper than even then this time because of sanctions and general skittishness about Russia.

It doesn't have poo poo to do with QE though, especially since the Ruble has progressively been getting softer AFTER the economic crisis while QE was going on. In total QE may cause some small weakness in the dollar, but most currencies it is compared to are undergoing their own pressures for a variety of reasons such as the Yen for example.

I wouldn't be surprised Russians are into Ron P. considering his rather checkered past with "race issues", wants isolationism and doesn't have much good say about the current state of the US.

Global investors are pulling their money out of rouble denominated assets. They sell the assets for roubles, and then go to the FX markets to exchange it for a currency which is more stable (Euro, Franc, Dollar, etc). To counter this, the Russian central bank can use their foreign reserves to prop up the currency by buying said roubles. However, foreign reserves are not unlimited and if George Soros and friends gets wind of it, they could have a run on the currency at certain levels.

That being said, I think that the Russian central bank has chosen to raise rates to lure in investors with a promise of higher returns rather than prop up the currency through reserve purchases. I don't think it has been working, especially with the politics involved.

In summary, nobody wants to hold roubles right now because it is too risky. This creates more sellers than buyers of roubles, reducing its value.

e: clarified some things.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 30, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Freezer posted:

Come on now, this is getting tiresome and adds nothing to the Debate and Discussion.

And yet it is a perfectly valid response to finding out that the Russians are apparently running concentration camps.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

And yet it is a perfectly valid response to finding out that the Russians are apparently running concentration camps.

I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who has to say it, but it's a report by the head of the Ukrainian Security Service. With accusations of using nuclear weapon being thrown around, I'd rather wait for a third party report to confirm this.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
It is clearly BS. But on the other hand; the occupied parts of Donbas are basically under military rule by foreign neo-Nazis and Fascists so you never can be too sure.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Concentration camps and mass graves sound like exaggerations until we see any more hard details, much like Russia's own "investigation" into supposed "ethnic cleansing" in Eastern Ukraine against Russian-speakers.

There's no need to go big on such crimes when there's plenty of more modestly-scaled murders and suppressions to hold people to account for. Law and order appears extremely tenuous inside separatist territory and there's definite reprisals taken against pro-Ukrainian voices, they probably won't have camps but there's also probably plenty of bodies dumped in the woods.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Global investors are pulling their money out of rouble denominated assets. They sell the assets for roubles, and then go to the FX markets to exchange it for a currency which is more stable (Euro, Franc, Dollar, etc). To counter this, the Russian central bank can use their foreign reserves to prop up the currency by buying said roubles. However, foreign reserves are not unlimited and if George Soros and friends gets wind of it, they could have a run on the currency at certain levels.

That being said, I think that the Russian central bank has chosen to raise rates to lure in investors with a promise of higher returns rather than prop up the currency through reserve purchases. I don't think it has been working, especially with the politics involved.

In summary, nobody wants to hold roubles right now because it is too risky. This creates more sellers than buyers of roubles, reducing its value.

e: clarified some things.

Most of the loss has always coincided with a significant drop in oil prices at the same time, the ruble is a petrol-currency. Foreign investors pulling out assets is going to effect it, but so is a drop in oil prices.

It is a little from both A and B.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
http://echo.msk.ru/blog/sergei_mitrohin/1408746-echo/
An article on property seizures in occupied Crimea. I think we all know whom
this will target.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Could you translate it into some plebeian language?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

kalstrams posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthago_delenda_est

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29429602
BBC reporting that the EU will keep sanctions on Russia in place for now, as the Ukraine peace deal "is not fully effective."

Along those lines, artillery "pounding" Ukrainian positions at/near Donetsk airport, and Grad rockets hit a Ukrainian-held town (Popasna) west of Luhansk.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29424766

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

kalstrams posted:

English: "Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed"

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Cool article:

http://boingboing.net/2014/09/30/when-russians-thought-the-inte.html

Best quote in it: "There are dozens of comments on any political post. The commentators write about the wisdom of Putin, the increasing Russian economy and the greedy and guileful United States who dreams to destroy Russia and conquest their territory before a San-Andreas earthquake or Yellowstone explosion ruins their country."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TeodorMorozov posted:

English: "Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed"

I figured Lucy could use it, you know?

Sorry, I figured it was right up there with "Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est" as something that didn't really need translation.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 30, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Sorry, I figured it was right up there with "Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est" as something that didn't really need translation.
Don't worry, I am fairly uneducated since all quotes like that are translated to Latvian in history books I've read.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Eh, your English is better than my Latvian, so there you go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Warcabbit posted:

Aside from being in Latin, not every country is equally obsessed with Rome.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Well I needed that translated as well, not that I am incapable of using google. I found both translations easily enough.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Niedar posted:

Well I needed that translated as well, not that I am incapable of using google. I found both translations easily enough.
I am off the phone for a while so I did my best :effort: on Google. :smith:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Belarusian Air Force lost a Su-25 today. the pilot ejected and there were no injuries.

http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=136222

quote:

On September 30, Lida district, Grodno region crashed military aircraft Su-25. About this TUT.BY told several sources. Information about the dead and injured yet.

Get a comment in the Ministry of Defence have not yet succeeded.

As reported on its Facebook Yulia Goncharova, "at the crash site of the aircraft in the Grodno region has already begun work investigating team. Along the way we will inform.

Dead and there were no injuries. "

As ERB adds that the incident happened at about 11:50. During the scheduled flights of Su-25 116-Attack Air Base Air Force and Air Defense Forces "as a result of an extraordinary situation went out of control." Pilot ejected, already found it, it does not hurt.

On the ground, the victims and the destruction there is none - attack fell into an uninhabited area, reports By24.org.

To elucidate the causes of the crash in the Defense Ministry of Belarus, a special commission. On termination of flights of Su-25, the press service of the Defense Ministry have not yet reported.

By24.org adds that the Su-25 was designed in the early 1970-ies of XX century in the Soviet AKB named after Pavel Sukhoi. In all there were 1,320 units. Among the operators of the Su-25, only three countries - Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, all of them went to the aircraft after the collapse of the Soviet Union in the process of division of property of the Soviet Air Force.

Total Air Force Belarus has so far been 18 Su-25 and 5 combat-capable Su-25UB. All of them are based at the airport 116th Guards Red Banner Radom Assault Brigade in Lida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BsPtsz-zyQ

Remember that Lithuanian fishing boat that Russia took control of? They still have it and the crew in custody, so now the EU sent the Russians notice to let the boat and the crew go free. Let's see how well that works out for them.

http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/542aebfccbb20ff624de673c

And finally, enjoy some funky beats from Belarus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDocZvF2WjA

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2014

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ardennes posted:

Most of the loss has always coincided with a significant drop in oil prices at the same time, the ruble is a petrol-currency. Foreign investors pulling out assets is going to effect it, but so is a drop in oil prices.

It is a little from both A and B.

Oil prices do not directly affect currency.

Russia sells their oil in rubles, you need rubles to buy it. Oil prices go down, you need less rubles to buy said oil. Being a major exporter of oil creates a internal demand for rubles because foreign buyers are forced to purchase them to get oil. FX, more than any market, is all based on supply and demand.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Russia sells their oil in rubles, you need rubles to buy it. Oil prices go down, you need less rubles to buy said oil. Being a major exporter of oil creates a internal demand for rubles because foreign buyers are forced to purchase them to get oil. FX, more than any market, is all based on supply and demand.

Confidence in the Ruble is going to directly depend on economic variables like the viability of exports, and for Russia that depends on the demand for oil. I don't buy that a steep decline in oil prices isn't going to affect the currency of a country where it makes up over 50% of exports, even if you want to say it isn't "direct."

Btw "Petro-Currency" has 3 majorly used definitions,

quote:

Petrocurrency is a neologism used with three distinct meanings, though often confused:

1. Trading surpluses of oil producing nations, originally called petrodollars
2. Currencies of oil producing nations which tend to rise in value against other currencies when the price of oil rises (and fall when it falls).
3. Currencies used as a unit of account to price oil in the international market.

I am using the second definition.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 30, 2014

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

eigenstate posted:

The second would be Pat Buchanan. His foreign policy articles are frequently translated into Russian because they are generally very amiable to Russia. This makes him the anti-McCain. Maybe any Americans here can explain to me what's up with Mr. Buchanan because I don't understand where he's coming from.

Sergg posted:

Pat Buchanan is basically a fascist.

He's a "paleo-conservative" who introduced the concept of "Culture War" in America during his 1992 speech at the Republican National Convention. He's also somewhat of a Holocaust denier and very sympathetic towards the Nazis.

The Anti-Defamation League has called Buchanan an "unrepentant bigot" who "repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with white supremacists."

It's very sad that Russian's feel anything other than contempt for Buchanan.

Pat Buchanan wrote a (vile) book entitled Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War. Buchanan regrets that Nazi Germany lost, or at least lost as they did, because Nazi dominated Eastern Europe would have been preferable to a Russian dominated one. The book contains the line: "the victory of 1945 was a tainted victory, if indeed it was a victory at all."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The question is, to whom does Russia export oil? With the sanctions taking effect and being expanded, there is only one ready answer which immediately comes to mind.

Whats worse for Russia, this economy is experiencing a bit of a slow-down and is well on its way to a balance sheet recession.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

And finally, enjoy some funky beats from Belarus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDocZvF2WjA

This loving owns.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Dilkington posted:

It's very sad that Russian's feel anything other than contempt for Buchanan.

I have to correct my mistake about Buchanan. I strongly implied that Buchanan was a congressman, while anyone remotely knowledgeable in the subject would know that's not the case. That's entirely my mistake. Here are just some that were translated into Russian in the last year:

Why play Cold War games in Ukraine?
The Specter Haunting Europe
Balkanization Beckons
Nationalism, Not NATO, Is Our Great Ally
Whose Side Is God on Now?

-----

Back in financial news, the ruble tumbled again yesterday on rumors of capital control: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russias-ruble-dives-to-record-low-as-rumors-of-capital-controls-spread/508131.html
:lol: Deutsch Anlegern :a2m: Russland

Then today, the Russian Central Bank is denying all such rumors and investigating Bloomberg News for market manipulation: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busin...ble/508161.html
:commissar:

-----

Also recently, Russia suspended the Future Leaders Exchange Program (FLEX) with the US because ...
:derp: Americans are abducting Russian children into homosexual families and turning them gay! :derp:
http://www.rferl.org/content/astakhov-us-program-exchange-couple-gay-illegal-adoption/26615391.html

-----

In the serious news of wrestling geo-politics, the WWE had to apologize about the incident with the Russian flag:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/wwe-apologizes-russia-flag-rusev-big-show
Now I have to wonder if the Hulk Hogan Soviet flag incident could have been a WW3 flashpoint. :ussr:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

eigenstate posted:

Back in financial news, the ruble tumbled again yesterday on rumors of capital control: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russias-ruble-dives-to-record-low-as-rumors-of-capital-controls-spread/508131.html
:lol: Deutsch Anlegern :a2m: Russland

Brent recently has dropped to 94.2 dollars a barrel.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Vice prime minister Rogozin confirmed that Moldavia is probably the next target.

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/752249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OhYeah posted:

Vice prime minister Rogozin confirmed that Moldavia is probably the next target.

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/752249

Yes, Romanian intelligence leaked that to us months ago.

• Locked thread