Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
And looks like they have Georgina Haig for Elsa. You might recognize her from the last season of Fringe.

http://tvline.com/2014/07/03/once-upon-a-time-elsa-georgina-haig-season-4-cast/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
drat I am way more excited than I have any right to be.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

:toot: Yay the show is back!

I liked the snow monster.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Count me in as one of the people who doesn't really care too much that OUAT didn't do their own version of Frozen and just continued more or less from where the movie finished.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
hahahaha that cgi troll oh my god I love this show

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I just splurged this whole series, finishing it off last week. :neckbeard: So good, gently caress the haters. Just watched the season premiere and I am so loving excited to see what happens. I had wondered what happened to Sidney so it was nice to have that cleared up.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just watched the season finale tonight and I gotta say, that scene where Rumple is holding onto Emma by the portal and Emma's talking about Neal's death and don't let it be in vein, that might be the best scene of the series. We get endless schmaltz and glurge, but that scene felt like genuine emotion, she was so desperate, I really enjoyed that.

Also yes. This scene was absolutely loving amazing. She seriously sold that moment and I was so scared Rumple wouldn't listen.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So that was the Mickey Mouse blue sorcerers hat, right? Because I cracked up laughing thinking it was.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

foxatee posted:

So that was the Mickey Mouse blue sorcerers hat, right? Because I cracked up laughing thinking it was.

That or Merlin's hat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

foxatee posted:

Yes, that's absolutely Yen Sid's hat. I knew it was coming the second they showed the trinket on the table. It was clearly a bucket with "water" in it with gold stars. I was pretty happy when he made the hat appear. If you listen to the music during that scene, it's also taking a little bit from the music in Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I loved Belle and Rumple dancing with the full costumes and the music. I loved how Anna and Elsa's stuff is implemented. I loved that the troll actually looked pretty good for the most part and the snow gollum looked not as good but still okay. I think they just didn't bother with proper lighting for him. The troll looked and moved very nice though I thought, which is a step up for a show that fumbles on its CGI so much. Maybe Disney allowed more of a budget so that Frozen isn't stuck with completely bad TV CG? Also Elsa looked and played the part well I think and Anna was basically perfect. Apparently this is that actress' first acting role? She nailed it I think.

Kristoff is uh... well they didn't spend much time casting him clearly :v:

But yo I'm a total sucker for any and all nods to the Disney version of these fairy tales so the thing with Yen Sid's hat made me SO happy.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 29, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I dunno at times it felt like Anna was just reading her lines out as fast as possible. If she was trying to do the "I said a thing, but wait I just realized something the middle of it" schtick she has in the movies, she needs just a little work. Felt off in a few scenes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Macaluso posted:

I loved Belle and Rumple dancing with the full costumes and the music. I loved how Anna and Elsa's stuff is implemented. I loved that the troll actually looked pretty good for the most part and the snow gollum looked not as good but still okay. I think they just didn't bother with proper lighting for him.

Yeah the snow golem was off, like they tried to knock the "cartoony" elements off and went a little too far with it. Looked like they slapped a Halloween mask onto Anton.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yes, that's absolutely Yen Sid's hat. I knew it was coming the second they showed the trinket on the table. It was clearly a bucket with "water" in it with gold stars. I was pretty happy when he made the hat appear. If you listen to the music during that scene, it's also taking a little bit from the music in Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I loved Belle and Rumple dancing with the full costumes and the music.

100% agreed. The music made these scenes for me. And I thought the swirling galaxy in the hat was a cool interpretation.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the episode. The Sorcerer's Apprentice hat was neat. I don't really pay much attention to CG stuff because it's TV, and they have a lower budget so who cares if it's not the best.

I liked all the little nods they threw in, like the scene with Emma and Regina doing the Frozen thing.

I admit, I was a bit hesitant about the Frozen stuff, but so far it was a good setup.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Senerio posted:

I liked all the little nods they threw in, like the scene with Emma and Regina doing the Frozen thing.

I didn't even make this connection :psyduck: That's awesome

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

drat my brain hurt when I just realized it. I wondered why they decided to do that when I was watching it. :psyduck:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Haha that's great. I thought that was different from how they usually film the show but I didn't put it together. I love this show so drat much.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This show needs a new permanent villain. We can't keep treading water with Rumple and Regina.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of tired of them yanking the rug out from Regina to be honest. This whole thing with Marianne just feels like an attempt to remind people that Regina is totally evil.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Transmogrifier posted:

I'm kind of tired of them yanking the rug out from Regina to be honest. This whole thing with Marianne just feels like an attempt to remind people that Regina is totally evil.

Is it? I felt the complete opposite. Like she starts to go back to how she was with Marianne at first because she's super pissed off, until she has the mirror show her when she captured her back in the forest. And it completely changes her mind and in fact saves her. And then Emma talks to her from the other side of the door and wants to help her find her happy ending. She then refocuses on the book, and wanting to change the story so SHE can get a happy ending, probably not so much at the expense of others this time (besides Sidney I guess :v:). And that's awesome because her quest is now "find out who the author of the book is" which is a mystery I imagine everyone watching is glad they are finally heading toward solving.

Like I felt like the Marianne thing this episode was to show that she WASN'T evil anymore. She's still like, not going about things the right way cause Sidney is still stuck in a mirror but

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That's a real punchable face

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Goddamn that's perfect casting

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I really like this show in spite of myself. It's so cheesy and schlocky and gaudy, especially with the bad CGI and FOLLOW YOUR HEARTTTT~ stuff, like a live-action Disney show very well should be. I hope it lasts for ten goddamn years because I don't want to imagine a future without it.

Also Hook is so sexy. And I was kinda cheering when Hood's wife almost got smooshed by the ice giant.

That is all.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Macaluso posted:

And that's awesome because her quest is now "find out who the author of the book is" which is a mystery I imagine everyone watching is glad they are finally heading toward solving.

"Who the devil are you?!? Don't come here to D'ni! My name is Atrus...I fear you've met my sons..."

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

her quest is now "find out who the author of the book is" which is a mystery I imagine everyone watching is glad they are finally heading toward solving.

I didn't even see this coming tbh but I think it's a neat storyline idea. I always figured the book wrote (and rewrote) itself.

I was trying to think of what fairy tales haven't been covered by OUAT yet and I've come up with Goldilocks, the Little Match Girl, and Sword in the Stone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

They technically did a sort of King Arthur thing with some of the characters back in S2, as well as a Excalibur fakeout.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

After googling for one second I found this this Disney movie list which has a ton I didn't think of (like Davy Crockett). Not to mention whatever classic fairy tales that Disney hasn't picked over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

A mysterious arcade cabinet mysteriously appears in storybrook. Henry goes to play it and suddenly him, Emma, Regina, the Charmings, and Rumple are sucked into Sugar Rush :getin:

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
The fact that absolutely nothing happened in that episode, yet I was pretty well entertained, means something about the show or means something about me. Or both.

Transmogrifier posted:

Evil Queen for how many years? Mayor of Curseville for 20+ years? Just because she's been "good" for about half a season doesn't mean nothing from her past can come back to bite her.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Merlinicus posted:

The fact that absolutely nothing happened in that episode, yet I was pretty well entertained, means something about the show or means something about me. Or both.
A lot happened in the premiere actually.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never seen Frozen but the premier was decent enough.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Xealot posted:

"Who the devil are you?!? Don't come here to D'ni! My name is Atrus...I fear you've met my sons..."

Ahahahaha!
Nice.
--------
I've never seen Frozen, so I don't get most of the references-- but I get the gist of what the movie plotline involved, I guess. Hope that's enough because I have no plans to watch it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Did Hans trap Elsa? Atleast thats the urn from Rumpel's vault he is holding on the picture.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

I've seen frozen once (over the summer) and it was enjoyable enough for what it is. I probably wouldn't choose to watch it a second time, but if you're into OUAT it's worth it to have the background on what I'm assuming will be this season's arc.

Like someone else said, it's smart the show is "continuing on" from the end of the movie instead if trying to make it a concurrent or alternative timeline.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

Actually the fact that she reacts the way she did makes me sympathize with her even less, like her redemption was just to get what she wants rather than a genuine attempt.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Did Hans trap Elsa? Atleast thats the urn from Rumpel's vault he is holding on the picture.

Oh man I didn't even notice that it was the same urn. That's pretty interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Frozen but I think that those characters can still do well on OUAT. I had to roll my eyes at the "your parents were actually going to the Enchanted Forest!" though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Once Upon a Time Season 4: Regina and Elsa's pity party.

"I'm a good person. That was the old me. I've changed."

*still has a dude locked up in one of her dungeons*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's been kind of fun watching the complete sociopath with god-powers very, very slowly learn how to be a better person. Like, she no longer murders hundreds of people or brainwashes entire kingdoms into being trapped in a timeless nightmare, but it just doesn't occur to her that trapping the guy she left in a padded cell for years in a mirror again is wrong. At least this time when she went for her normal fallback to any problem, "Turn completely evil," she realized it was probably a bad idea.

The Frozen stuff feels almost superfluous to what I'm sure will be the major point for this half-season: find the author. Right now, it feels more like it's there to fill the flashbacks for awhile (I suppose there's only so much of the Charmings saying "I sure do wish that bad thing didn't happen to us!" and the power of true love making it not happen we can watch).

My fiance got me into the show and I love it. It's candy-coated Lost, except it ends every half season and starts over again. The Peter Pan plot was probably my favorite so far, if only because that kid clearly took a lot of joy in playing Dark Lord Peter Pan.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well I am kinda glad the Frozen stuff is the main plot arc of the first half-season, but also glad they didn't make it the Frozen show with OUAT or something. But it's pretty obvious where most everything is going in the first half.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

fork bomb posted:

I didn't even see this coming tbh but I think it's a neat storyline idea. I always figured the book wrote (and rewrote) itself.
With the show being what it is, I figure the "author" is going to have to be some interpretation of Walt Disney, and Yensid seems like a good way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Reo posted:

Yensid

:doh:

• Locked thread