Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

So pretty much an unfunny Venture Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

So pretty much an unfunny Venture Brothers.

More like a complex and deeper Dr. Who.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My irritating movie moment is more of a thing with viewers, but I hate how really hate how there are movies with twists people will not shut up about. My favorite movie ever is Fight Club, but I keep it a secret from my friends until we get a chance to have a movie night or something because even if they don't google it, there's still a huge chance of them just randomly coming across the big spoiler.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Sep 29, 2014

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

One of the best moments of my life was getting to show Dusk til Dawn to a friend who knew nothing about it. The vampire reveal basically resulted in him losing his god drat mind screaming wtf.

It was hard getting him in blind. I made him close his eyes when I played it because even the Netflix description gives it away.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking of Dusk till Dawn too, it's one of the best example of that. poo poo, it's ridiculous. Good work though on getting them to it unspoiled. In the loving summery! It's like people don't understand that maybe a good twist shouldn't be a well known and ruin it for other people.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Sep 29, 2014

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm told that the books don't make much more sense.

Personally, I'm prepared to forgive everyone involved in the recent YA-books-into-movies trend if someone goes nuts with William Sleator's Interstellar Pig.

Thanks for this, I loved that book when I was younger, but had totally forgotten the title and author. Time to hit amazon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What's so hard about making a decent Godzilla, Hulk, Transformers film or even a decent Alien or Terminator sequel or a new RoboCop movie? These things practically write themselves they're so god damned simple, especially Godzilla and Hulk. Why is this tricky? Showing Hulk smashing and Godzilla wrecking poo poo should be remarkably easy. One is "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a dash of Frankenstein" and the other is "Giant Monster Fucks Up Cities; gently caress! Run! Someone Kill It!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Xinlum posted:

One of the best moments of my life was getting to show Dusk til Dawn to a friend who knew nothing about it. The vampire reveal basically resulted in him losing his god drat mind screaming wtf.

It was hard getting him in blind. I made him close his eyes when I played it because even the Netflix description gives it away.

I was cruising Netflix the other night and noticed it was spoiled right in the synopsis text. Why ruin one of the best reveals in film history like that?

Silly Newbie posted:

Thanks for this, I loved that book when I was younger, but had totally forgotten the title and author. Time to hit amazon.

If you go looking for the rest of his catalog, be aware that among his pretty consistent string of terrific books, he published a few real stinkers (seriously, don't go near Others See Us, and for God's sake, don't touch his 2002 sequel to Interstellar Pig). Most of his earlier works are great--House of Stairs is a short read that is still darn good forty years after he wrote it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was like seven when From Dusk Till Dawn came out so I don't remember seeing any trailers for it. But https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RF0hYk7tc8 it looks like that wasn't exactly intended to be a twist?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Len posted:

I was like seven when From Dusk Till Dawn came out so I don't remember seeing any trailers for it. But https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RF0hYk7tc8 it looks like that wasn't exactly intended to be a twist?

It's definitely a twist, as in a turn in the story, trailers are made by the worst people and are completely shamless in how they spoil great twists or completely mis-represent movies. Don't watch trailers, nothing good can come of it.

e: in theatres, the best move is to cover your head in a popcorn bag and scream show tunes until they're done playing

Aggressive pricing has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Sep 29, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Len posted:

Trailers aren't done by the director. Same with Terminator 2 and the Arnie reveal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aggressive pricing posted:

completely mis-represent movies. Don't watch trailers, nothing good can come of it.

THIS FILM IS ALL ABOUT KEN WANTANABE, BRYAN CRANSTON, AND A GIANT FUCKOFF MONSTER, AND IT IS TOTALLY NOT ABOUT SOME RANDOM GOOBER'S FAMILY

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's definitely a twist, as in a turn in the story, trailers are made by the worst people and are completely shamless in how they spoil great twists or completely mis-represent movies. Don't watch trailers, nothing good can come of it.

I get that it's a major turn in the story. But I've never known if it was supposed to be a secret of it the internet just goes ahead and assumes it was supposed to be. Since the trailers, the movie poster, the box art, the back of the back, directv and netflix all told me it's about vampires I just assumed it was never intended to be a secret.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Len posted:

Since the trailers, the movie poster, the box art, the back of the back, directv and netflix all told me it's about vampires I just assumed it was never intended to be a secret.

All of these things are made by awful people who don't give a poo poo about the audience's enjoyment, they just want money and if they think 'VAMPIRES! CLOONEY! CLOONEY FIGHTS VAMPIRES!' will make more money, then that's what they're gonna advertise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All of these things are made by awful people who don't give a poo poo about the audience's enjoyment, they just want money and if they think 'VAMPIRES! CLOONEY! CLOONEY FIGHTS VAMPIRES!' will make more money, then that's what they're gonna advertise.

So it is just the internet thinking it should be otherwise. Gotcha.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I watched it with a bunch of people when it first came out on VHS. We all knew the twist going in because it was in every single trailer for the movie, except for one person who hadn't seen the trailers and yelled out "what the gently caress?!" when the vampires finally showed up. That was fun.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

It should be secret. I saw it blind as a kid and my friend agrees also. Not knowing ahead of time makes the movie an amazing mindfuck. Probably one of Tarintinos best.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I saw From Dusk Till Dawn when it first came out in theatres and the vampire stuff definitely came out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting it in the least.

edit: just checked IMDb...1996? Really? :corsair:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Len posted:

So it is just the internet thinking it should be otherwise. Gotcha.

I'm pretty sure Rodriguez thought so to, but that drat tv series makes it impossible to find anything about it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

More recently, my roommate and I had a good "What the gently caress?" watching The World's End. We had a friend over later just to watch her reaction to that scene. If you've seen the film, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The ending also has a "What the gently caress?" twist to it. Although I wouldn't call it a twist, as that was pretty logical how it had to end, but they did it so straight-faced, it was amazing.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Is there a rationally irritating movie moments thread? Because I just saw the maze runner, and while it's pretty intriguing for most of the movie, the plot dump at the end is a load of horse poo poo.

So, in order to save humanity from a combination heat wave zombie apocalypse, you perform an unfathomably expensive experiment which will help you develop children that are immune to... mazes? There is no drat reason for there to be a maze. Furthermore, if the purpose of the test is indeed to determine which children are immune to the virus [and mazes?!?], why would you have the vector for the virus transmission be a horrendous cyborgspider?? The grievers are clearly more than happy to just rip the children apart and murder them outright than to jab them with their poison virus stinger.

Has anyone here read the books? What is this bullshit? And how did that one kid even get there at the end?

Book spoilers: I haven't seen the movie and it sounds a bit different from the book but in the book, the scientists knew which kids were immune to the virus and which weren't. The maze was part of a system of trials to test the kids' brains and how they reacted to different stimuli. The virus attacks the brain so obviously immune people had a special brain! Immune systems? Nah, definitely the brain. So basically the maze and subsequent trials tracked their brain patterns and poo poo with the non-immune kids being a control group. The book never adequately explains why the grievers have poison beyond the whole stupid premise of producing another stimulus to see how the brains react.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Trailers can never be misleading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvqEIKP4t8

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

IUG posted:

More recently, my roommate and I had a good "What the gently caress?" watching The World's End. We had a friend over later just to watch her reaction to that scene. If you've seen the film, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The ending also has a "What the gently caress?" twist to it. Although I wouldn't call it a twist, as that was pretty logical how it had to end, but they did it so straight-faced, it was amazing.

I like to think that the entire film was a long setup for the joke right before credits rolled. loving brilliant :dance:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

I've always liked this misleading bit from the trailer for The Relic: http://youtu.be/mI4adLmGj1c?t=1m31s

Basically, a completely throwaway joke line in the movie is made out to be a big plot point in the trailer. The movie is in no way about the gradual extinction of the human race.

Also, yeah, saying that there's a twist in the movie spoils the twist. Now that i know there's a twist I'm going to be unable to stop trying to figure out what that twist is and basically spoil it for myself. You put your guard up, basically. Me and many other people watch a movie differently when we go in expecting something like that.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

THIS FILM IS ALL ABOUT KEN WANTANABE, BRYAN CRANSTON, AND A GIANT FUCKOFF MONSTER, AND IT IS TOTALLY NOT ABOUT SOME RANDOM GOOBER'S FAMILY
APRIL O'NEIL AND HER FATHER'S VILLAINOUS FRIEND, OH AND SOME REPTILES

HUGE MECHANICAL ALIENS loving EACH OTHER'S poo poo UP SOME SPAZZY GUY SHOUTING 'NO' IN FRONT OF EXPLODING TITTIES

I didn't watch these movies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I've always liked this misleading bit from the trailer for The Relic: http://youtu.be/mI4adLmGj1c?t=1m31s

Basically, a completely throwaway joke line in the movie is made out to be a big plot point in the trailer. The movie is in no way about the gradual extinction of the human race.

The trailer for The Bourne Legacy did something kind of similar. There's a lot of praise for a guy and they make you think they're talking about Jeremy Renner's character when instead they're talking about a bad guy who gets introduced late in the movie.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Remember how everyone thought Kangaroo Jack was a movie about a talking kangaroo?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

"A special kind of movie magic"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Seventh Arrow posted:

To be fair, it says "from the creators of 'Watership Down'" right after that, so fair loving warning.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ah, so it's like Homeward Bound, but with shotguns

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

To be fair, it says "from the creators of 'Watership Down'" right after that, so fair loving warning.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

I was like seven when From Dusk Till Dawn came out so I don't remember seeing any trailers for it. But it looks like that wasn't exactly intended to be a twist?

Note: I'm not spoiling it because it's Terminator 2 ffs.

In Terminator 2: Judgement Day, James Cameron intended that at the start of the movie, all you know about the T-800 is that in the first movie, one that looked exactly like it nearly killed Sarah Conner, did kill Kyle Reese and nearly doomed mankind. You were supposed to think he was a badguy, up until the scene in the mall where he shoots the T-1000. I'm not even sure they had shown the T-1000 explicitly killing anyone up until this point.

Then the marketing department got their filthy little mitts on the movie and made a trailer that showed how awesome he was, set to Guns'n'Roses. In short: trailers suck don't watch them.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Watership Down, yes. Cute protagonist rabbits being mauled by cats, strangling themselves to death in snares and oh yes, asphyxiation featuring facial close-ups where their eyes bulge out of their heads as they die.

Rated Universal in the UK. Not even a PG.

Its really good though.

Edit: Having just checked youtube, its appears I forgot the ludicrous amount of blood. Wow.

Cheshire Puss has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Sep 29, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

What's so hard about making a decent Godzilla, Hulk, Transformers film or even a decent Alien or Terminator sequel or a new RoboCop movie? These things practically write themselves they're so god damned simple, especially Godzilla and Hulk. Why is this tricky? Showing Hulk smashing and Godzilla wrecking poo poo should be remarkably easy. One is "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a dash of Frankenstein" and the other is "Giant Monster Fucks Up Cities; gently caress! Run! Someone Kill It!"

Same loving question about Greek mythology movies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The Bridge to Terebithia was a decent book I remember from such times as grade school. It was also about a kid dying and I don't remember any fantasy elements. I was maybe ten though.

Someone needs to film this.

But make it more Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

I probably shouldn't pitch things that would make serious money here.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Same answer. CGI budget vs every other part of making a good movie.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Byzantine posted:

Same loving question about Greek mythology movies.

The "Aries fucks up everyone in a blink" scene in "the immortals" was loving awesome.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Sep 30, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Do CGI budgets make people decide "hrm, i think what people want in this giant monster movie is more kids"? Seems like they'd just make the movie shorter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cheshire Puss posted:

Watership Down, yes. Cute protagonist rabbits being mauled by cats, strangling themselves to death in snares and oh yes, asphyxiation featuring facial close-ups where their eyes bulge out of their heads as they die.

Rated Universal in the UK. Not even a PG.

Its really good though.

It's also the only U-rated film to contain a swear word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking of Dusk till Dawn too, it's one of the best example of that. poo poo, it's ridiculous. Good work though on getting them to it unspoiled. In the loving summery! It's like people don't understand that maybe a good twist shouldn't be a well known and ruin it for other people.

Netflix is really bad about spoiling poo poo. Especially TV shows. Character that maybe could actually die had a cliffhanger where they may be dead? Let's show them fine and walking around in the still image preview as the episode loads! Every time.