Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Linguica posted:

Well, the linesman comes up and him and I, I say ‘I want to buy him back,’ and the referee says you can't do that’ and the miscommunication or whatever it might be, the head linesman says, ‘Yes, you can’ and so by that time Shane’s on the field taking one more snap, handing the ball off, [and] Devin gets his helmet back on. That's how that sequence went.

I dunno, that sounds pretty reasonable. I mean, as long as there isn't clear video evidence that this wasn't actually what happened and that Hoke is just full of poo poo and lying.

Oh.

Also if anyone else is like me and heard about what happened but didn't actually see it, here's a video that includes the announcers first noticing that Morris is really hurt, then limping, then taking a helmet-to-helmet hit before being put into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mIcYz-DM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

Do the officials have any power to declare a player unable to play based on injury?

No, and they probably shouldn't since they aren't doctors, but there should probably be a medical official the referees can bring in if necessary (like a replay official but you know for determining the viability of a player returning to a game).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Declan MacManus posted:

No, and they probably shouldn't since they aren't doctors, but there should probably be a medical official the referees can bring in if necessary (like a replay official but you know for determining the viability of a player returning to a game).

I have been saying for a long time now that there needs to be an independent medical official on each sideline.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

swickles posted:

I have been saying for a long time now that there needs to be an independent medical official on each sideline.

There is if coaches can't fulfill one of the most basic loving requirements one would think a coach of a bunch of collegiate men would have, which is to guarantee the safety of his players.

Holy poo poo, what an rear end in a top hat. And to completely ignore that duty and just say, "Oh, well, our medical staff, our medical staff." Who answer to who again? You? Where the buck stops, as they say?

"Well, there was lightning dancing in the sky, but our resident meteorologist didn't say we couldn't play, so off you go, out into the field, play ball."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

With regards to SMU chat, I think the right coach, someone who can recruit Texas and build a decent spread (or hire an OC who can) could actually build a MWC TCU-esque program there. Maybe even Mack Brown. June Jones was a notoriously terrible recruiter and he still brought SMU from death to a few 8-win seasons. Mack Brown, for all his faults, could still do some recruiting. Stick him right there in the metroplex with all its talent, get him an assistant who understands the spread offense, and you've got a recipe for a pretty decent program.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

swickles posted:

That's a really good idea. Although, it's already making my head spin thinking about the logistics of keeping said official impartial, anonymous, and all the other things that could happen from having one guy be able to drastically swing the outcome of a game.

I guess it would just be like any other referee? Employed by the NCAA/conferences and rotated throughout the various game schedules. Maybe my concern is it seems like a bit more personable and subjective ruling. How exactly they initiate a ruling would be a bit tough too... Do they stop the game while the player is evaluated? Is it done on the sidelines or in another place? I could see a bit of a disaster scenario too when a starting QB is taken out in a crucial situation and then the doctor goes "he's fine, you can have him back now!" after it's too late.

One thing is for sure, whomever the doctors that are employed for this situation are, they'd have to be 100% supported by the NCAA/conferences. No way could they risk going back to practicing publicly in, say, Tuscaloosa after taping someone to the bench in a loss.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
So......Stanley Williams, Dorian Baker, Drew Barker, and Tymere Dubose have all been suspended for the South Carolina game. For those who don't follow UK news closely (like all of you) there was a lockdown last night for gunmen on campus which turned out to be these 4 screwing around with a BB gun. From what I understand, they didn't do anything but shoot BB's in the air and they didn't try to rob/intimidate people with it, so this isn't an expelled from school thing but it's still really loving dumb to do.

Baker and Williams are major contributors this season, so it's awesome that they decided to gently caress around the weekend before a major game.

Dipshits.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I went to Wyoming from '89-'93, and all sports admissions were covered by a small - I mean about $10 - fee on our bills. We just swiped our IDs at the Memorial Stadium gate, and we were in.

My freshman year at Louisville was entirely different. We had to buy football tickets with basketball tickets. That was two seasons before the Cards made the Fiesta Bowl, and three after they won the '86 NCAA Tournament, so it made sense. The basketball games were pure bonkers; I went to a game against UNLV on Super Bowl Sunday in '89, and that is still the wildest sports crowd I've been in.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Shappa posted:

That's a really good idea. Although, it's already making my head spin thinking about the logistics of keeping said official impartial, anonymous, and all the other things that could happen from having one guy be able to drastically swing the outcome of a game.

I guess it would just be like any other referee? Employed by the NCAA/conferences and rotated throughout the various game schedules. Maybe my concern is it seems like a bit more personable and subjective ruling. How exactly they initiate a ruling would be a bit tough too... Do they stop the game while the player is evaluated? Is it done on the sidelines or in another place? I could see a bit of a disaster scenario too when a starting QB is taken out in a crucial situation and then the doctor goes "he's fine, you can have him back now!" after it's too late.

One thing is for sure, whomever the doctors that are employed for this situation are, they'd have to be 100% supported by the NCAA/conferences. No way could they risk going back to practicing publicly in, say, Tuscaloosa after taping someone to the bench in a loss.

It's a good thing the NCAA is a non profit org and the schools don't make any money from football programs to be able to create a stable of doctors similar to how they do officials. </sarcastic handjerking motion> Certainly there's a supply of docs willing to get an expense paid trip for the day to a NCAA football game.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:getin:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

:catstare:

yes. yes it would be a story.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"I'm not really good with technology. All this button pushing and whatnot. I mean, you can just imagine based on what's happened in the last 15 years. Conversations won't happen 10 years from now. There aren't going to be people to talk to, it's going ot be this (mimics pushing buttons). 'Do you want to go out on a date with me?' 'I don't know, what do you look like?' 'Well I look kind of like this.' 'OK, what are your interests?' 'Well, what do you think my interests are? Looking to this thing and typing into this just like yours are.' 'Yeah, no kidding, that's what everybody's doing.' 'Well, where do you want to go?' 'Well, what difference does it make? Because all we're going to be doing is looking into machines anyways.' Well, that's true and in the end, it's going to tough to perpetuate the species. There's no question about that. So we're all going to look in this box and eventually be extinct. That's how it ends."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I do enjoy hashtags despite them angering old men because they clarify the tone of otherwise minimalist statements. Otherwise someone could misconstrue Kirk Herbstreit as making an interesting point

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yes, because even from a cynical point of view, people would be jealous of their success and jump on anything bad they did.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The new Godspeed! You Black Emperor album is shaping up to be a monster

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Total Defense
116th 2200yds 440ypg

Pass Defense
124th 1378yds 275.6ypg

Rush Defense
90th 822yds 164.4ypg

Scoring Defense
110th 165pts 33ppg

3rd Downs
69th 26-64 40.6%

We're real fuckin bad. I'm still not, and probably will never be, sold on Thompson. He's erratic on every play. That "perfect pass" to Cooper was really 3 inches too high and left him out to dry, anyone else and that would have been an incompletion and we're lucky as hell he didn't get Cooper injured. Davis, Wilds, and our o-line are good, but we don't have the defense to be a running team. With the exception of Elliot Fry, our special teams are atrociously bad in every situation. If this was last year and we lost the games we've lost this year I'd argue they were flukes, bad luck, all that, and we'd still deserve to be in the top 25 because we legitimately could beat any of the 100 other teams pretty much any Saturday. Not so much this year. We're Holtz-era bad and Thompson is no Blake Mitchell.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kidd-Liggit posted:

So......Stanley Williams, Dorian Baker, Drew Barker, and Tymere Dubose have all been suspended for the South Carolina game. For those who don't follow UK news closely (like all of you) there was a lockdown last night for gunmen on campus which turned out to be these 4 screwing around with a BB gun. From what I understand, they didn't do anything but shoot BB's in the air and they didn't try to rob/intimidate people with it, so this isn't an expelled from school thing but it's still really loving dumb to do.

Baker and Williams are major contributors this season, so it's awesome that they decided to gently caress around the weekend before a major game.

Dipshits.

Airsoft guns? This seems to be becoming a thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kirk Herbstreit was, once upon a time, the voice of reason amongst a bunch of dumb old school football types. For the past few years he's been a cantankerous old coot just like all the others.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think more than anything, the reason that I will never like Texas Tech is that Craig James helped convince them to fire Mike Leach.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mike Leach is a dangerous madman

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

You misspelled genius.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Craig James has saved us all by making sure he's confined to Pullman, Washington.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Mike Leach posted:

"Well you want some place casual to begin with because you don't want something real formal in the beginning so some place casual -- I recommend Cagle Steakhouse, which is very casual. The other thing that's great about it is that there's very little salad there at Cagle's so the girl will be forced to eat in front of you which is something women hate. But if you can make them do it, the earlier the better, the more than they'll conversate and show their true self. I'm a big movie guy. If you want to do it more like I did when I was your age, you could go to the Stars and Stripes Drive-In Theater because that's what they had in Cody, Wyoming. Otherwise, the movie theater is pretty good, but then you want to end at somewhere like some cool coffee shop type of place where there is bizarre-looking characters going in and out so if the conversation isn't going well you can reference some of the different characters you see coming and going from the place. And if it's a huge night and you're really having a good time then you can trade computer schemes and e-mails and all that mischief that people are up to now-a-days that I know nothing about."

I love this man.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Dipshits.

Oh is that why my brother's phone kept going off last night.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Chieves posted:

I think more than anything, the reason that I will never like Texas Tech is that Craig James helped convince them to fire Mike Leach.

But all the people that were involved in that have now been removed (seriously, the AD, President, Chancellor, most of the Board of Regents, etc). Also we have coach bro now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How old is Mike Leach because he already tells the rambling story of an 80 year old

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

i loving love this man

i had a bizarre dream last night where i was visiting my parents house and every bookshelf was full entirely of his books, and he had thousands of them

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Mike Leach is so great. How did Tech ever let him go? I find it super believable that he locked someone in a shed or whatever, but that is the price of doing business with an eccentric genius.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

1) Tennessee should beat Florida this weekend, but honestly probably will not because there is something about playing the Gators that makes the Vols just literally poo poo themselves out of whatever good habits they've built up.

2) UNC has a god awful defense and somehow the Hokies are going to make them look good by barely scoring over 20 points. BOOK IT. IT IS WHAT WE DO NOW. At least we got a GUNSLINGER for a qb amirite, keeps it forever interesting.

3) Texas Tech should never have gotten rid of Leach, but poo poo man those old boosters need to keep control over something. Can't have hip new kids on the block ruining it for them.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ESPN.com cfb section posted:

Twelve SEC teams still in playoff contention

I'm starting to wonder what it takes to get out of playoff contention

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pillsburysoldier posted:

4 losses, with at least 3 of them being to non-SEC teams.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Play in a non-SEC conference.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wish Leach had the success of Spurrier because the insanity would be ramped up ten fold

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Weird that people complain about SEC schools like Ole Miss being overrated here but you never see any posts questioning why ASU was in the top 25.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Spacebump posted:

Weird that people complain about SEC schools like Ole Miss being overrated here but you never see any posts questioning why ASU was in the top 25.

There absolutely were people saying that. They just happened to be Arizona fans so no one listened.

Also UF may be bad but they will definitely win one of UGA, Tenn, or FSU because football is loving crazy.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Thermos H Christ posted:

Mike Leach is so great. How did Tech ever let him go? I find it super believable that he locked someone in a shed or whatever, but that is the price of doing business with an eccentric genius.

Craig James played football real good when SMU wasn't a joke (and murdered five prostitutes) and used that get good jobs and gather influence with the good old boy's club (BECAUSE TEXAS) so that one day he could get his talent-less son on a good football squad (to be fair he probably would have been a decent player in a lesser football division but that wasn't good enough for the scion of the James family). Naturaly Adam james squandered his good fortune by being lazy and not living up to what little potentional he had.

Mike Leach (who didn't get along with the old boy's club that well to begin with) got tired of Adam's bullshit and made him work out in an air-conditioned equipment shed that was often host to meetings and had an ice machine to boot, under coach supervision the whole time. This infuriated the Adam James (MY DAD PLAYED AT SMU!!!) so the next time he was alone he snuck into a electrical closet and lied to his father and the media about being locked in there along with other things.

When ordered to apologize to the little poo poo Mike leach told them to get hosed, and was fired for it. Then everybody found out about Adam James lies but it was too late, what was done was done.

Then Craig James got fired, lost an election, and got fired again. The end.

PS: Most of the University administration got canned too (resigned to spend more time with family) because you do not gently caress with football in the state of Texas, and firing the best coach you ever had and hiring some washed up hack from the SEC is loving with football. TEXAS!

I told this story to a guy who didn't follow college football and he had the kind of horrified expression one might have if told your wife and kids had all died because the Russians had shot down the airliner they were all on.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 30, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Kirk Herbstreit was, once upon a time, the voice of reason amongst a bunch of dumb old school football types. For the past few years he's been a cantankerous old coot just like all the others.

His da was a coach and he's super defensive of them even when they are obviously in the wrong.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Also reminder that Adam James filmed himself in the electrical closet (iirc it was the one connected to the presser room), posted it to youtube and people took this as irrefutable evidence that Mike Leach was a monster. Like even people here for a while didn't bother to do any actual research into and just assumed it was fact because EVERY media outlet took the James' side until way too late.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

And the mainstream media remains silent about those grisly Craig James murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
It was funny every game (that was on ESPN) to hear the commentators talk about how loved Adam James was for going through his terrible experience at the hands of Leach when the reality was that most wanted him kicked off the team and also possibly dumped into an unmarked grave out in desert somewhere.

• Locked thread