Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Bloody Pom posted:

Hah, that's nothing. The other night I got four multi-point dominations in a row. My team lost every single one. :suicide:

I distracted myself from the pain a bit by unlocking the Me-163, and after I finished laughing at the fact that it actually has a higher battle rating than the planes that come after it, I took it to Korea and killed a Sabre and a Meteor.

All it did was make me want to be able to use it like :godwin: intended against those base rushing B-17 fucks on Berlin. I say that as someone who loves the B-17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If they cut the 229 BR a bit it'll be doing the job of the 163. Only without the speed or the climb (which is gimped and not just with engine limitations) or the airstarts. So it won't be doing the job of the 163. gently caress.

Gimme an italian tree to buy fat premiums out of :smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Gimme an italian tree to buy fat premiums out of :smith:
105mm howitzer equipped P.108 bomber. :shepspends:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Who wouldn't want to buy an Re.2000 as a Tier 1 premium? Its good performance for early war and looks beautiful.

Too bad, like most Italian planes, it only has two Breda-SAFAT .50cals :downsgun:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MrLonghair posted:

Only without the speed or the climb (which is gimped and not just with engine limitations)

What's their justification for doing this anyway?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who wouldn't want to buy an Re.2000 as a Tier 1 premium? Its good performance for early war and looks beautiful.

Too bad, like most Italian planes, it only has two Breda-SAFAT .50cals :downsgun:

It comes with an alternative canopy tho'. :v:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Whats up with that ugly rear end paint scheme that all italian planes seem to have? Aren't those guys supposed to be stylish?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its :airquote:camouflage:airquote:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

They don't know how to hide themselves in the background. Even their camouflage is loud and proud.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That made me wonder, how standardized was/is the paint scheme of planes irl? Did they just give the factory workers some buckets and told them to roughly make spots and striped all over the place?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Galaga Galaxian posted:

2 50s are good enough for the Ki-43.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ghetto wormhole posted:

Realism, probably.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

Flight model's probably hosed up and unfinished like most of the planes they add to the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

wargames posted:

2 50s are good enough for the Ki-43.

Yeah, but these are Breda-SAFATs. :v:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Aren't those identical?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the ammo is almost the same, but the Japanese gun's quality is better. You're right though, but for some reason, the Ki-43's guns always felt better to me than the MC.200's or whatever. :shrug:

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

Three loving games in a row. What the gently caress, Berlin.

Ahh...remember that 20 wins event or whatever it was? Yeah, I played for 12 hours trying to get my 20 wins as Americans, and another 12 hours a day or so later....I got a grand total of 8 wins. It was mostly due to the enemy team being 90% heavy bombers while my team was 90% 'random plaen' and weren't doing anything other than chasing the first person that got into range. For the most part it was like I was playing with lovely AI. I'd go up and shoot down five bombers in a row only to look down and notice that our our airfield just got blown up...their strat bases would be at full health, and they'd have a full bar. That was the majority of games during that event for me.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Admittedly, the parts I've seen of the Italian countryside (Chiasso, Switzerland to Milan to Florence) are indicative it probably was perfectly functional camo, at least regionally, in Italy despite being an eyesore up close.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, camo comes in all sorts of weird styles. This, for example is genuine camouflage (invasion striping aside).

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, camo comes in all sorts of weird styles. This, for example is genuine camouflage (invasion striping aside).

That needs to be in the game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ghetto wormhole posted:

:gaijin:

It's just about the same weight as the Me262 A1/U-4 running a pair of Jumo004 engines, and the acceleration as of the latest dev FM shows it running at 75% power on the 229, just like the prototype flight of one of those models.

Which is completely 100% correct and a flying wing has super bad aerodynamics so it's meant to accelerate and climb terribly, according to a sperglord on the WT forums with a special tag for giving them flight data.

Flight data that he lost his poo poo over when he was calmly asked by forums users to list his sources of. He didn't even leave an ISBN for the book, no name, no nothing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got some flight data right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLelTbeXA4g&t=32s

My Ki-200 can't even climb at that angle when it starts out going 500kmh in midair. When you do try to climb at a high elevation you rapidly lose speed and stall.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 30, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Italians copy the M2 and 1919, gently caress them up horribly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That made me wonder, how standardized was/is the paint scheme of planes irl? Did they just give the factory workers some buckets and told them to roughly make spots and striped all over the place?

Depends on the style but for the most part it was quite standardized across the board. Much of it had to do with the time/location/squadron/role.

Germans probably had the most interesting paint schemes. Materials available sometimes affected this. From what I've seen, people that make those lil scalemodels love to sperg over exactly what shade of grey to use.

http://www.fritzthefox.com/german_camo_guide.html

If you scroll down, that site also has a quick breakdown of all the other nations you'll find in War Thunder. There's also a lot of good trivial info and charts on specific planes for a website that was apparently designed by a furry.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Vadoc posted:

That needs to be in the game.

It was. They took it out a few patches ago.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Whats up with that ugly rear end paint scheme that all italian planes seem to have? Aren't those guys supposed to be stylish?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's weird how well the odd-looking pink paint schemes worked for the Brits. The LRDGs had some particularly gaudy-looking ones that were considered to be incredibly effective:

http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/camo.html

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 30, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Thief posted:

Depends on the style but for the most part it was quite standardized across the board. Much of it had to do with the time/location/squadron/role.

Germans probably had the most interesting paint schemes. Materials available sometimes affected this. From what I've seen, people that make those lil scalemodels love to sperg over exactly what shade of grey to use.

http://www.fritzthefox.com/german_camo_guide.html

If you scroll down, that site also has a quick breakdown of all the other nations you'll find in War Thunder. There's also a lot of good trivial info and charts on specific planes for a website that was apparently designed by a furry.

This is completely out of the blue, but I read that website a year or so ago - besides the :stare: implications of using a swastika and making the main guy a German Nazi fox, he basically made this for his autistic son so he could comprehend WW2 and aviation in general more easily. It's a decent site, my only complaint is the nazi fox with the swastikas. :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

um excuse me but Fritz the Fox would never put a Swastika on his plane:

Also, those "straight-line" camo patterns you see on many German planes were cool because they used the actual design of the plane (like basically drawing diagonal lines from panel corner to panel corner) as a guide while still leaving room for variation:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
yo can I get an invite to LAME or GI/GO or whatever the gently caress goon clan is active. In as DerHomeauxSechs

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

LAME should be open but you have to search it and apply in game, I don't think there's a way to send invites yet.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh ok

E: applied

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 30, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

El Disco posted:

The panther.

I guess it's just a bad joke?
[/quote]

Or you guys are dumb but hey I'm no comedian.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

This game makes me irrationally angry.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Ok, since the latest patch has turned planes into flying tanks, what's the solution?

Pre-patch, I was routinely getting 7-8 kills per arcade match. Now I'm getting 2-3. And before all the cyberaces in the thread go "point and click easymode. L2P noob," I don't think I'm the issue. And I've been having the same issue in RB.

I'm getting hits, I'm getting crits, planes are smoking, and nothing's happening. Unless I nail them with a 37mm shell or pop the pilot, they just aren't going down. I'm at the point where 7 of my last 10 kills have been pilot snipes. When I light someone on fire, I just get killstealed.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Bacarruda posted:

Ok, since the latest patch has turned planes into flying tanks, what's the solution?

Pre-patch, I was routinely getting 7-8 kills per arcade match. Now I'm getting 2-3. And before all the cyberaces in the thread go "point and click easymode. L2P noob," I don't think I'm the issue. And I've been having the same issue in RB.

I'm getting hits, I'm getting crits, planes are smoking, and nothing's happening. Unless I nail them with a 37mm shell or pop the pilot, they just aren't going down. I'm at the point where 7 of my last 10 kills have been pilot snipes. When I light someone on fire, I just get killstealed.

play RB :getin:

Also somebody told me to go back to arcade for using stealth ammo, then told me I was immature for laughing at him. What

edit: also right before that I saw some goon nosedive into the ground trying to get the last enemy. Godspeed [GI]RichardBong

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9gSpny4-c
Here's one flying. This paint scheme is for recon planes at dawn and dusk or just below clouds. The sky is red enough at dawn and dusk that pink is extremely hard to see, and clouds filter out more blue light than red light so the light filtered through clouds has a slight pink tint that we don't typically notice.

My favorite though is dazzle camouflage.

It's impossible to camouflage ships for every weather so in some types of weather your ship will be visible. However, ships engage at ranges far enough away that identifying the type of ship, its size, and range becomes extremely difficult and the enemy ships are less likely to hit. It is questionable how much it actually worked and it doesn't work at all since ranging is done with radar now, but early WW2 it was theoretically functional. It made cool looking ships, at least.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bacarruda posted:

At least in RB, crits will still gently caress up your handling and I'm seeing a decent amount of blown-off control surfaces. I'm not sure exactly what someone could do to compensate for increased durability and kill-stealers other than maybe trying to blast the elevator off. I may be just saying that because seeing surfaces pop off makes me giddy.

Pre-patch was also the glass wings era, and I'm not clamoring for the return of that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I too am enjoying the new damage model. Swooping in on lone enemies, igniting them with a burst of .50 fire and then bugging out to watch them slowly burn down in the killfeed is pure schadenfreude. :getin:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I guess it's just :gaijin: Oh well, I can deal with it.

Still loving frustrating to watch a "mine, mine, mine" gaggle of pubbies killstealing I guy I critted three time, then lit on fire. Or lighting some guy on fire, then watch him shake it off like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You were not good enough. You should see the loving nerve all these people in CS who walk away with 96 points of damage and even more so the people who shoot them. They should have just given the kill for me.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread