Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Does every romantic comedy mangaka live in the same building or something? There are quite a few lately that are notable first and foremost for their facial expressions.

If this is some kind of deliberate effort by publishing companies, I say keep it up.

Perhaps, but some manga-ka worked as assistants before their official debut series and they could be influenced by other art styles. Also, I imagine it'd get tedious after the 200th page drawn...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like someone quickly picked up Hajiotsu.

Edit: fixed link, guess they reuploaded the chapter for some reason and broke the first url.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 27, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There's a whopping four new chapters of Kuragehime (chapters 70-73)!! Some interesting developments, Shu continues to be a dummy.

http://www.mangareader.net/kuragehime/70

Also a new Ojojojo: http://www.mangareader.net/ojojojo/20

I'm really happy with whoever mentioned the latter. It's really cute and it's a nice feel good manga at least for me. The couple is just really cute. :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New chapter of Horimiya!

Kids' conversations sure are deep these days...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not just one, but two!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm---about latest chapters of Horimiya Did she really hit him based on on a misunderstanding :v:? Man, just another reason I'm glad I'm not in HS level relationship or shoujo manga. I know the remake manga is based on a completed story but will consider dropping it if they started a jealously subplot.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Hmm---about latest chapters of Horimiya Did she really hit him based on on a misunderstanding :v:? Man, just another reason I'm glad I'm not in HS level relationship or shoujo manga. I know the remake manga is based on a completed story but will consider dropping it if they started a jealously subplot.

I'm pretty sure that story was just for that chapter.

Also she hit him partly because she's Hori and she's just violent. See also: ear cleaning.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love the side characters in Kuragehime, but Tsukimi is becoming increasingly annoying with her obliviousness/lack of confidence. I thought she would have developed more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So she has a nasty temper, beats up her boyfriend and then tries to make him think it is his fault. Miyamura needs to get the gently caress out of that situation.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I love the side characters in Kuragehime, but Tsukimi is becoming increasingly annoying with her obliviousness/lack of confidence. I thought she would have developed more.

True, but I still found the latest chapters to be going in a less than entertaining direction with all the new characters introduced.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So she has a nasty temper, beats up her boyfriend and then tries to make him think it is his fault. Miyamura needs to get the gently caress out of that situation.

TBH, I don't recall all the earlier chapters but I'd definitely try to talk him (if he were a IRL friend) to reconsider this relationship for his own well-being :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hori snaps very easily. It seems that her father used to bear the brunt of it, which says a lot about the likely origin of that behavior. You could also read her killer massages as being the result of a lack of empathy, but that's probably a bit too harsh.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
When the jokey tone is removed and there's actual lingering damage not just cartoonish instant recovery Hori's violence is a little disturbing. :stare: I still liked the resolution of that chapter because they both had to work against their natural inclination and got some positive growth out of it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 30, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Alder posted:

TBH, I don't recall all the earlier chapters but I'd definitely try to talk him (if he were a IRL friend) to reconsider this relationship for his own well-being :v:

I don't know what started the whole "domestic violence is funny!" trope (I want to blame Love Hina but somehow I don't think it's wholly responsible) but it's just about my least tolerated thing in romances. It's a way to inject cheap drama (and as some people seem to think, comedy) in order to pad out a story, as far as I'm concerned, and it never goes anywhere or develops the characters in any way.

The only thing that makes this particular instance better in any way is the fact that she knows she's in the wrong and apologizes. But it's still hosed up because she just thinks her REASON for hitting him is wrong (which yes, it is), and doesn't spare a neuron contemplating that the action itself is wrong too.

Someone needs to subvert this trope. The author should take this stupid one-off drama scene and turn it into actual character progression, like the next time they fight, he needs to say, "If you hit me again, we're done." It would come as a shock to everyone, readers and characters alike, and it would be so goddamn refreshing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know what started the whole "domestic violence is funny!" trope (I want to blame Love Hina but somehow I don't think it's wholly responsible) but it's just about my least tolerated thing in romances. It's a way to inject cheap drama (and as some people seem to think, comedy) in order to pad out a story, as far as I'm concerned, and it never goes anywhere or develops the characters in any way.

The only thing that makes this particular instance better in any way is the fact that she knows she's in the wrong and apologizes. But it's still hosed up because she just thinks her REASON for hitting him is wrong (which yes, it is), and doesn't spare a neuron contemplating that the action itself is wrong too.

Someone needs to subvert this trope. The author should take this stupid one-off drama scene and turn it into actual character progression, like the next time they fight, he needs to say, "If you hit me again, we're done." It would come as a shock to everyone, readers and characters alike, and it would be so goddamn refreshing.

Not that it wouldn't be good to see what you're suggesting at the end there, but there's a bit of a difference between slapstick in a comedy and domestic violence. I won't say that people are always great at seeing that difference, often to terrible results, but there is still a difference.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Che Delilas posted:

Like most romantic cliches in manga, it probably came from one of Rumiko Takahashi's works (like I'm a fan of Love Hina, but even I admit that it's practically a crazier version of Maison Ikkoku). Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura being the likely candidates, though to be fair, those particular manga series didn't try to be serious so slapstick was more common.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Girls shouldn't hit boys the same way boys shouldn't hit girls. Unless there's mutual consensus.

Also another thing people shouldn't do: disturbing the plants watering session. Watering plants is a very essential thing, it's taking care of precious lives! Stop bothering people when they're using a watering can. This is just one of many useful lessons one can learn from the new chapter of Kokoro Kimiiro Sakura Iro.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

toanoradian posted:

Girls shouldn't hit boys the same way boys shouldn't hit girls. Unless there's mutual consensus.

Also another thing people shouldn't do: disturbing the plants watering session. Watering plants is a very essential thing, it's taking care of precious lives! Stop bothering people when they're using a watering can. This is just one of many useful lessons one can learn from the new chapter of Kokoro Kimiiro Sakura Iro.

Oh, is this by the same author of Kurenai Ouji? I really like their art style. Good thing this series is super cute too :kimchi:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

When the jokey tone is removed and there's actual lingering damage not just cartoonish instant recovery Hori's violence is a little disturbing. :stare: I still liked the resolution of that chapter because they both had to work against their natural inclination and got some positive growth out of it.

I did like how their friends encouraged both of them to do the right thing. If Miyamura had automatically apologized when he did nothing wrong that would have been kind of a dark turn for the story to take.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

I initially thought this post was about Nozaki kun.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hell, I initially though this one:

So she has a nasty temper, beats up her boyfriend and then tries to make him think it is his fault.

...was about Kuragehime. It was a very confusing few seconds.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Soylentbits posted:

I initially thought this post was about Nozaki kun.

...Now I kinda want a Nozaki/Horimiya crossover :v:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

...Now I kinda want a Nozaki/Horimiya crossover :v:

I can see Nozaki bombarding Hori and Miyamura questions about their relationship so he can use it for his manga.

Mamiko suddenly becomes more violent in her affections towards Suzuki-kun. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Now that you mention it I do see joke-y hitting your friends/love interest tropes everywhere now. What have you done ...?

IIRC Tonari no kaibutsu has a chapter where Mitty tells Haru (main guy) off for acting inappropriately towards her and how it's inconsiderate to everyone involved. She scolds him for being selfish and not respecting her boundaries (?).

BTW:She should have broke up him and dated Yamaken but Shoujo :gonk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tonari no kaibutsu was kind of amazing because both of the leads had enormous piles of personal issues, but they gradually worked through them together and became better people in the process. The difference is that in TnK, they communicated with each other even though it was very difficult. In Horimiya, Hori saw nothing wrong with her behavior even though she regretted it. She certainly isn't going to talk it over with Miyamura, and likewise he won't ever confront her if he has a problem with something she does. I guess it is just kind of sad that the profoundly damaged Haru and Shizuku could learn and grow but the comparatively sane Hori and Miyamura likely never will. Oh well, that's what comes from comparing works by different authors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What happened was a step in the right direction, but I'll be disappointed if they don't explore and work on their flaws further if they're going to drag them out into the open like this.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The latest Takemyia Jin manga is good. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kila-kila-r13179

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yep. Plus I think that one's an already published collection of shorts/one shots, so presumably it won't be a million years between chapters like some of her other stuff.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

What happened was a step in the right direction, but I'll be disappointed if they don't explore and work on their flaws further if they're going to drag them out into the open like this.

Yeah, and honestly there's a lot of good realistic drama that can come from actually treating these issues as issues (and not just throwaway excuses for comedy). It doesn't necessarily have to resolve with all the issues getting "fixed," either, as long as they are addressed as part of the story. Which, again, partially happened here; at least Hori admitted she was in the wrong.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Some author is going to make a fortune writing a manga that shows real consequences of ridiculous tropes. Like, guy accidentally walks in on a girl in her underwear, girl screams and hits him, guy falls over and cracks his head on a table and bleeds out on the floor, girl goes to jail for manslaughter. Or, magical girl shows up naked in guy's bed and immediately falls in love with him for no reason and guy proceeds to take the week off school for an epic sex marathon. Or a person confesses their feelings to a friend of the same gender and friend says "yeah, just because I like you as a person doesn't mean that translates into sexual attraction".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

organism posted:

Some author is going to make a fortune writing a manga that shows real consequences of ridiculous tropes. Like, guy accidentally walks in on a girl in her underwear, girl screams and hits him, guy falls over and cracks his head on a table and bleeds out on the floor, girl goes to jail for manslaughter. Or, magical girl shows up naked in guy's bed and immediately falls in love with him for no reason and guy proceeds to take the week off school for an epic sex marathon. Or a person confesses their feelings to a friend of the same gender and friend says "yeah, just because I like you as a person doesn't mean that translates into sexual attraction".

Knights of Sidonia. Yes, really. That's not the primary focus at all, but it kind of takes the piss out of manga cliches sometimes. In fact, one of your examples appears in an early chapter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Kissmanga has twoone new chapters of Kuragehime up! (It's one + an omake + author note thing.)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kuragehime/Vol-014-Ch-074-Read-Online?id=209242

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

organism posted:

All of these sound like perfect Douman Seiman 4-koma material to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The realistic portrayal of tropes is becoming so prevalent that it's basically a trope itself now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am already bored of it

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Being bored of tropes is in fact also a trope. Here, let me link you to TVTropes...

On second thought, why not check the new chapter of Ojojojo? It has all the Os and Js you need, provided in a beautiful font.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

organism posted:

That last one kind of happened in Inari Kon-kon and it made me sad, so I do not support this post.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I think this series was introduced earlier in the thread, but HaruxKiyo got a new release a few days ago.

It's pretty funny so far, and I'm getting some LoveCom vibes from it. Which I admit, it's mostly from the mismatched height differences and the overexaggerated reaction faces.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

toanoradian posted:

Being bored of tropes is in fact also a trope. Here, let me link you to TVTropes...

On second thought, why not check the new chapter of Ojojojo? It has all the Os and Js you need, provided in a beautiful font.
Yeah it's a fairly cute little manga. Also, hints at something deeper with her friend??

Not sure why it was getting posted in the shounen thread because I think it belongs here instead, but there is another Teasing Master Takagi as well.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's finally a new chapter of the only real fantasy manga Knights of Alfheim. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/alfheim-no-kishi-r4547
I really wish it would get translated faster.

The new Real Clothes is also very good. http://bato.to/read/_/275986/real-clothes_v8_ch58_by_wingtip-cafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

toanoradian posted:

I used to be really into 4 koma series but now not so much. I think it's the feeling how nothing really changes over time vs reg series. Who knows?

Nondevor posted:

I think this series was introduced earlier in the thread, but HaruxKiyo got a new release a few days ago.

It's pretty funny so far, and I'm getting some LoveCom vibes from it. Which I admit, it's mostly from the mismatched height differences and the overexaggerated reaction faces.

I like the art style but what's with all the misc fonts w/the word balloons? At least keep the normal dialogue speech in a standard font. Sorry, it's just kinda distracting me from the story :v: