Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Force of Will would make half the decks in modern unplayable, off the top of my head Tron, Scapeshift, Living End, UR Twin, and any deck that needs one critical spell to resolve will be gone overnight. The interesting thing is that it would be fine in Standard, since the card disadvantage matters more and almost all Standard decks can recover from having a spell countered.

Tron and Twin are still fine. Tron generally has inevitability once it gets a lot of mana because of the glut of powerful effects and Twin tends to run a secondary tempo plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tron could side in summoner's trap or cavern of souls to deal with fow. Wouldn't be a big deal if they fow your expedition map or something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Tron could side in summoner's trap or cavern of souls to deal with fow. Wouldn't be a big deal if they fow your expedition map or something.

Does GR Tron run creatures of the same type? I don't see how blue tron would benefit from Cavern of Souls over making one of five creature types uncounterable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Does GR Tron run creatures of the same type? I don't see how blue tron would benefit from Cavern of Souls over making one of five creature types uncounterable.

Because all it takes is resolving one Sundering Titan to utterly wreck your opponent.

And aren't you talking about Mono-Blue Tron? Wouldn't that deck love a counterspell that was live as early as turn 0?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because all it takes is resolving one Sundering Titan to utterly wreck your opponent.

And aren't you talking about Mono-Blue Tron? Wouldn't that deck love a counterspell that was live as early as turn 0?

I mean it would allow me to turn 2 crack map but I'm more concerned about other blue decks going to town with it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It seems what you guys really want is something between Modern and Legacy where all sets are legal but everything on the reserve list is banned. That could be a fun format, but is a different beast from Modern. I think Modern is fine as-is for the most part and doesn't need Legacy staples tossed in.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Asphyxious posted:

I have a foil treasure cruise but I have the bizarre feeling if I try to trade it at my game store I'll get laughed out as it's clearly an unsustainable spike.

I'll take it off your hands for a fair price, I think the spike is a lot more sustainable than they do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm sure it looks appropriately fabulous.

We can probably expect delve and the other clan mechanics in Fate Reforged and the 3rd set, right?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
You think it's too late to trade a Sorin for a Sarkhan? I pulled one tonight in a impulse 3-pack buy. It was good timing too, another guy was ripping packs and trading in money rares for more packs so I beat him to the Sorin. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

We can probably expect delve and the other clan mechanics in Fate Reforged and the 3rd set, right?

No guarantees on that front whatsoever since the third set is supposed to be probably-not-wedge-color-themed and is sort of stands alone since it bridges the gap between 3-set and 2-set blocks (when Khans and Fate Refored Rotate out, the third set will stay).

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't be so sure considering they specifically said that it was not a wedge block, and only the set would be wedge/clan-based

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Waffleopolis posted:

ripping packs and trading in money rares for more packs

That sounds like a terribly masochistic way to gamble and I'm sure the store owner loves it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm still holding out for a 5 mana delve counterspell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Force of Mill? :v:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Entropic posted:

That sounds like a terribly masochistic way to gamble and I'm sure the store owner loves it.

I mean, I made that mistake on my first month of playing MTG (traded a Multavault for more packs DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK). He pulled like 4 or 5 fetch lands during the process just to open more packs in an attempt to get a Planeswalker. He didn't succeed because I accidentally stole it from him.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheKingofSprings posted:

At Modern last week someone had apparently never seen Sundering Titan before. The room got really quiet while he and his opponent had their back and forth going over what the card did. I wish I could remember exactly what was said but it was really comical. Sundering Titan is a dick.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cernunnos posted:

12. 4 Buttpost, 4 Glimmerpost, 4 Vesuva.

I don't know where he's getting 16 from.

Cloud to Butt is the best addon ever.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

At Modern last week someone had apparently never seen Sundering Titan before. The room got really quiet while he and his opponent had their back and forth going over what the card did. I wish I could remember exactly what was said but it was really comical. Sundering Titan is a dick.

had that moment. It was so good. Was playing GR tron against UWR control, I resolved it. he lost 3 lands. He bounces it when I swing next turn, I hand him the card to read again and point at the 3 lands I wanted to remove, he scooped.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I don't know how viable it is mainboard but an interesting sideboard for decks running Sarkhan would be the Becoming Immense card to possibly 1 shot your opponent. It's not always win more and can be used as pseudo removal if needed, say putting it on a caryatid. Helps your tramplers do ridiculous amounts of damage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I keep one in MUD at all times and it's never let me down. It even shares a type with Lodestone Golem. :allears:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea, Sundering Titan is in my G/R Tron deck (usually the loner deck for our tourneys).
Takes me back to the Tooth and Nail days.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NovemberMike posted:

Tron and Twin are still fine. Tron generally has inevitability once it gets a lot of mana because of the glut of powerful effects and Twin tends to run a secondary tempo plan.

Boseiju is a pretty reasonable card in Modern and sometimes sees play in Scapeshift already on top of that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yea, Sundering Titan is in my G/R Tron deck (usually the loner deck for our tourneys).
Takes me back to the Tooth and Nail days.
I've been sold on maindecking the Titan and a Steel Hellkite against any deck that plays permanents.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Skillface posted:

I wouldn't be so sure considering they specifically said that it was not a wedge block, and only the set would be wedge/clan-based

The mechanics might remain even if the wedges don't. Prowess could show up only on blue cards, Delve could be exclusive to black, outlast could be mono-white, etc.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Not that they need be absolutely shackled to the past, but if you look at the previous large-small-large blocks, there's been one where they haven't carried over any mechanics (ROE) and one where they carried over one in a relatively minor fashion (AVR).

Coupled with the probability that they intend for time travel to significantly change the "present" Tarkir, and I'd put my money on the side of the mechanics not being the same in the third set.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Melvin question: Orcs, Aven, and Efreeti all existed on Dominaria, right?

I have a pet theory that Tarkir is actually ancient Dominaria, and that we're about to straight-up explore the Elder Dragons' origin stories.

But I don't know that much about the lore of Dominaria or the Elder Dragon Wars, and whether or not that makes any sense...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

All of those races were on Dominaria at some point, although I don't think we've seen efreeti since Mirage block and Jamuraa is phased out. I don't think we ever saw naga, though.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Melvin question: Orcs, Aven, and Efreeti all existed on Dominaria, right?

I have a pet theory that Tarkir is actually ancient Dominaria, and that we're about to straight-up explore the Elder Dragons' origin stories.

But I don't know that much about the lore of Dominaria or the Elder Dragon Wars, and whether or not that makes any sense...

Sarkhan is a post-mending walker, and he's from tarkir. The mending took place long after all of the elder dragon other than bolas died. So your theory is impossible.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Sarhkan and Sorin travel through time and discover Urza, whose first act as pre mending planeswalker is to destroy the reserved list.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

If Sarkhan goes back in time and makes love to Ugin, does that produce a magical time dragon baby or just makes things weird?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does any of the Outlast stuff work well with Phalanx Leader? Or does requiring at least 3 cards for anything to happen make it dumb?

I just want to try to make use of the Lord effects without tapping the creatures on my turn and also keeping to mono/dual colour.

odiv fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 30, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Does any of the Outlast stuff work well with Phalanx Leader? Or does requiring at least 3 cards for anything to happen make it dumb?

I just want to try to make use of the Lord effects without having tapping the creatures on my turn and also keep to mono/dual colour.

I think if the First Strike or Flying or whatever Outlast lords see any Standard play it will be with Ajanis and Abzan Charms.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Entropic posted:

I think if the First Strike or Flying or whatever Outlast lords see any Standard play it will be with Ajanis and Abzan Charms.
The First Strike and Flying ones for sure, maybe the Lifelink one too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm trying to make this work with Preeminent Captain, but I haven't really come up with anything explosive yet.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'm trying to make this work with Preeminent Captain, but I haven't really come up with anything explosive yet.
You could cheat in Armament Corps, High Sentinels of Arashin, Brimaz, Anafenza, and Archetype of Courage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Sarhkan and Sorin travel through time and discover Urza, whose first act as pre mending planeswalker is to destroy the reserved list.
The legacy weapon was meta the whole time. It meant weapons from legacy ie the reserved cards.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

You think it's too late to trade a Sorin for a Sarkhan? I pulled one tonight in a impulse 3-pack buy. It was good timing too, another guy was ripping packs and trading in money rares for more packs so I beat him to the Sorin. :v:

I think you might want to hold on to Sorin? All I hear from people who play with Sarkhan is that he's a worse Storm Breath Dragon. Sorin at least has a niche to fill besides being Storm Breath 5-8?

Then again, Sorin might be replacable by Erebos' whip, I don't play much standard...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

I think you might want to hold on to Sorin? All I hear from people who play with Sarkhan is that he's a worse Storm Breath Dragon. Sorin at least has a niche to fill besides being Storm Breath 5-8?

Then again, Sorin might be replacable by Erebos' whip, I don't play much standard...

Sarkhan only gets that comparison because of the cost and his p/t when he transforms. Stormbreaths and sarkhan are both good for similar but still different reasons. Sorin is also not terrible as a top end for aggro decks but I dont think anyone expects either to stay as high as they are.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The biggest issue with Sarkhan is that he isn't the same CMC as Rorix so we can't call him Planeswalker Rorix. This deficiency is pretty obvious to speculators and the market will adjust accordingly.

• Locked thread