Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azran posted:

Whoops. My bad. :downs: Dunno how I skipped over that. Did you get a cutscene? This is what I did - Went to Vendrick, exhausted his dialogue, realised I was missing the King's Crown, went back for it, came back, he said some lines of dialogue, cutscene. I couldn't go back to talk to Vendrick once I did this.

Turns out you have to have collected all 3 Crowns in one playthrough, as the switch for activating the cutscene is for picking them up, not for just having them in your inventory. I hadn't killed Sinh on NG+ yet, but after I did everything worked just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Bone Fist +5 is hilarious fun. Especially against another bone fist.

e: The Ivory UGS is kind of crap in pvp though. Too slow, like all the others.

e: The Double Smelter AOE. :stare:

e: Oh there is a little cutscene if you go back to Vendrick with all four crowns. Neat!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 30, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I know this will sound stupid, but how do I get to the two challenge routes in OIK/Ivory King? I couldn't find them and I found just about everything else. I found the door to the one in Ivory but it's locked.

Gologle posted:

...they gave us Old King Allant. Good guy From.
Am I crazy, or is the entire DLC an extended homage to Boletarian Palace?
  • The vista of the first bonfire resembles the entrance to 1-1.
  • There's a rampart segment extremely similar to 1-1.
  • The enemies include knights and dogs, which are pretty much all over that area (granted, they're in a lot of places in the Sousl games).
  • You go from a castle area to a bridge to a town-ish area then into a great cathedral-like castle.
  • There's an area reminiscent of the crypt where Old King Doran hangs out.
  • The final boss's fighting style resembles False King Allant.
It's not substantially similar in terms of layout or anything, and obviously it's all snowy, but it definitely "feels" like it's meant to be a Demon's Souls callback.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gently caress these stupid horses. Where am I even supposed to go? I've been past three ruined buildings and I think I saw what might have been a way down from the last one, but then I was murdered by a thunder horse and have been getting mauled by them ever since. I have no idea how I made it so far the first time but every subsequent try has been a failure faster and faster. Also, is there a bonfire anywhere down here?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

I know this will sound stupid, but how do I get to the two challenge routes in OIK/Ivory King? I couldn't find them and I found just about everything else. I found the door to the one in Ivory but it's locked.

• The enemies include knights and dogs, which are pretty much all over that area (granted, they're in a lot of places in the Sousl games).
  • You go from a castle area to a bridge to a town-ish area then into a great cathedral-like castle.
It's not substantially similar in terms of layout or anything, and obviously it's all snowy, but it definitely "feels" like it's meant to be a Demon's Souls callback.

Yeah I haven't even played DeS and I still felt that way. Probably a coincidence though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

gently caress these stupid horses. Where am I even supposed to go? I've been past three ruined buildings and I think I saw what might have been a way down from the last one, but then I was murdered by a thunder horse and have been getting mauled by them ever since. I have no idea how I made it so far the first time but every subsequent try has been a failure faster and faster. Also, is there a bonfire anywhere down here?

I don't have any advice since your experience mirrors my own, however I can tell you there's no bonfire since I've got all the slots filled on my warp screen.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Nakar posted:

Iron King seemed like an homage to Stonefang (with the exploding barrels and the workers) so it wouldn't be a stretch. I feel like Sunken King is an homage to Kings Field or even the Shadow Tower games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

No bonfire. Once you're at the third ruin go right. You can go down an incline onto a bridge. Be careful, the reindeer will follow you.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Wow that optional area. This is the most unfun thing I've done in a game for a long time now.

On a related note, anybody here around 4.5m SM in NG that could help me out here? I'd really appreciate it.

E: Never mind, I got it. Still gently caress that place though.

OurLivesOnline fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2014

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Anyone figure what the ring of the embedded does yet?

I'm not sure if it does anything else, but it gave me vigor, endurance, and vitality. Check the stats on the equip screen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No bonfire. Once you're at the third ruin go right. You can go down an incline onto a bridge. Be careful, the reindeer will follow you.

I guess I was going the right way, but man this area is a bitch and a half. At least I found a cool hat. This DLC is full of those, actually. The Symbol of Avarice, the Mirrah Hat, and Durgo's Hat so far.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Attention DLCers if you don't have at least 2 knights I'm going to black crystal out.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So the Sunken was about status effects/boosts, Iron was about rad weapons, and Ivory is about bitchin' hats?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Where's the Mirrah hat again?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azran posted:

Where's the Mirrah hat again?

On the outside wall of the first house in the wasteland area.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The optional area and its enemies were a pile of garbage, but the boss at the end was super fun. The rest of the DLC was really great also.

I'm sad that this is the end. :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Barfing Cumlord posted:

The optional area and its enemies were a pile of garbage, but the boss at the end was super fun. The rest of the DLC was really great also.

I'm sad that this is the end. :(

Bloodborne. And I'm sure they're already working on King's Field 8.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Has it been confirmed this is the last DLC? Aren't there still unreleased reskins in the files?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a three year old winning a PVP match. Guess what weapons she's using?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXWyRwtTQEs

raton fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 30, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Coaching is banned

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crummelhorn posted:

Has it been confirmed this is the last DLC? Aren't there still unreleased reskins in the files?

This is the last DLC they announced for the season pass. It is technically possible that we get something else, but I doubt it. Hopefully at some point they add the Majula chest weapon reskins to a vendor somewhere though for anyone that missed them.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So two more newbie questions.

1) When exactly are the i-frames during your roll? I have not yet managed to figure out when exactly I cannot be hit during a dodge.

2) How different are things like different 1 handed swords? Is there a different moveset for each different weapon in the same category or what? I saw someone post a video for a 2 hander somewhere that was the specific moveset for that sword. After starting sorcery I'm gathering that the melee game is much more nuanced and have no idea what I'm doing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

So two more newbie questions.

1) When exactly are the i-frames during your roll? I have not yet managed to figure out when exactly I cannot be hit during a dodge.

2) How different are things like different 1 handed swords? Is there a different moveset for each different weapon in the same category or what? I saw someone post a video for a 2 hander somewhere that was the specific moveset for that sword. After starting sorcery I'm gathering that the melee game is much more nuanced and have no idea what I'm doing.

1) I-frames depend on agility. How much agility you have depends on your adp and att stats. adp gives more agility thant att does. If I remember right an agility of 105 has the same i-frames as fast rolling in dark souls 1. 85 agility is the lowest agility you can have.

2) Some weapons have 1 handed moves worth using and some don't.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Assume your iframes start right at the beginning of your roll (even though it feels to me like they start like 1 frame after -- I'm probably wrong though), so press the roll button at the last possible instant. As you improve your Agility (you do this by putting points into ADP, most of the time one point in ADP will get you one point in AGL but sometimes you have to put in two points of ADP to get agility to increase) you will get more iframes tacked on to the initial ones. You start at 8. If you get up to 100 AGL (usually 20-some ADP to get there) you will have 12 frames, which is like a 70% improvement and will make dodging a LOT easier and get you out of hard to dodge attacks (horizontal sweeps and overhead smashes) much more reliably. The roll is 25 frames total so if you're at 12 you're invincible for the whole first half of your roll.

The distance you roll depends on how much of your equip load you're using. If you're below 50% you roll almost as far as you would at 0%. If you go over 50% your roll distance gets a lot shorter. You keep your iframes but being able to move back with your rolls (or behind in PVP) is as useful as the iframes themselves. Try to stay under 50% unless you have a huge fuckoff shield equipped. More details here

Most weapons in a class have similar movesets with mild variation. The Longsword has diagonal R1s with good tracking and R2s have slightly delayed horizontal sweeps that hit almost all the way around you -- in two hands it has quick horizontal sweeps with the R1 and extremely effective stabs with R2. The rolling attack is a very fast stab, the running attack is a very fast sweep. The Sun Sword has identical moves except all the R2s are stabs which is great for PVE and not ideal for PVP (in my opinion). There are lots of videos on Youtube showing you the different movesets, most weapons in a class differ from eachother on only one or two of the 1H(R1/R2) 2H(R1/R2) Run/Roll move selection, sometimes the first R1 is the same but the second is different or the order is swapped, the variations are small but when you have six basic moves one or two different ones that you like can really enamor you of one weapon over another. Always choose your weapon based on the moveset you like -- there are only a few dud weapons in the game that can't be made functional damage-wise in one way or another.

The following videos show you the movesets of almost all of the weapons, with links to each individual weapon in the poster's comment section.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkyIrzSxSJPXwnut5irEcw/videos (The ones you want are the first ones he posted chronologically, so the ones on the bottom of the page -- just click Show More a couple of times to see them)

For less formal / more feel type info Youtuber MrIWont4Get has good "feature" videos for a lot of the weapons that people are generally interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ku-XxGoc9c&list=PLi4wOT-O4CYVPeemNh4kfP81TlyiDAe_Y

The Souls games have always been balanced on and centered around melee. If you haven't tried it out yet you're in for a real eye opening experience.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
The uhh, fight with the burned up guy in the DLC is probably the worst boss fight they've ever come up with. It's just so insanely tedious.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what's considered overall better, Raw Avelyn, or Lightning Avelyn? :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwack posted:

The uhh, fight with the burned up guy in the DLC is probably the worst boss fight they've ever come up with. It's just so insanely tedious.

Go find the other knights if you haven't, I could only get his health down to about 1/5 or so before dying when I tried with only the one you get by default. There should be three in the level. I kinda agree though, it's an interesting concept but the execution is poor. Same with the optional area, but it's not like that isn't true of every optional area in the DLCs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Count Bleck posted:

So what's considered overall better, Raw Avelyn, or Lightning Avelyn? :v:

For PVP probably lightning so you can get that cheesy last hit on shield users.

For PVE I don't know.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The execution of the Iron Passage is very good

Your execution that is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iron Passage isn't even hard, it's just incredibly annoying.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It'll annoy you

To death

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Iron passage is fine. It just has nothing worth getting besides the boss so you're better off ignoring everything there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Iron Passage is fine

A fine place to die

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OH MY GOD the bone fist is literally everything I never knew I wanted in Dark Souls 2. It is...amazing. Come tomorrow, I'm going to do my best to get two of these babies and see what they can do powerstanced.

Also gently caress the Icy Outskirts, or whatever the optional area was called. I couldn't see poo poo, and those loving reindeer kept bulldozing the poo poo out of me. Not to mention the random Hollows in the shelters/landmarks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Here's a three year old winning a PVP match. Guess what weapons she's using?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXWyRwtTQEs

That dad owns.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Stokes posted:

Attention DLCers if you don't have at least 2 knights I'm going to black crystal out.

This, a million times. 9 out of 10 times I got summoned yesterday the players only had one knight, which is pretty much a lost cause!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gologle posted:

OH MY GOD the bone fist is literally everything I never knew I wanted in Dark Souls 2. It is...amazing. Come tomorrow, I'm going to do my best to get two of these babies and see what they can do powerstanced.

Also gently caress the Icy Outskirts, or whatever the optional area was called. I couldn't see poo poo, and those loving reindeer kept bulldozing the poo poo out of me. Not to mention the random Hollows in the shelters/landmarks.

You can powerstance it with a Caestus which has higher AR anyway.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RabidWeasel posted:

You can powerstance it with a Caestus which has higher AR anyway.

Does it do anything fancy while powerstanced?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Count Bleck posted:

Does it do anything fancy while powerstanced?

Is hadoken fancy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sucks that it requires 45 dex though.