Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I only use Couch Potato for downloading metadata so each movie directory has it in place regardless of what media center software is used in the future.
Is there a better alternative to Couch Potato for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

I only use Couch Potato for downloading metadata so each movie directory has it in place regardless of what media center software is used in the future.

FileBot appears to do that
http://www.filebot.net/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Natively it just gets subtitles. Guess I might as well learn Groovy anyway.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My NewsDemon (Black Friday $5/month) account was wrong as well. The funny thing about this, is that I made sure to cancel my account so they couldn't ever reactivate it somehow, when I was doing that they said, WAIT DO NOT LEAVE YOU HAVE A 70.65% DISCOUNT AND YOU WILL LOSE IT.

So uh, it looks like they of course did know your discount. Anyhow, moved to the 2 month for $15 astraweb plan.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

http://www.tinymediamanager.org/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

MrEnigma posted:

My NewsDemon (Black Friday $5/month) account was wrong as well. The funny thing about this, is that I made sure to cancel my account so they couldn't ever reactivate it somehow, when I was doing that they said, WAIT DO NOT LEAVE YOU HAVE A 70.65% DISCOUNT AND YOU WILL LOSE IT.

I even tried the link that said "have a month for $5 before reverting to your normal rate"... That did not reactivate my account (at all), so I canceled.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
So is there some consensus as to the best nzb management program at this point? I've been using Sabnzbd for years and its probably time to try something new. I'm not nearly as advanced a user as some of you dudes but I do want to be able to set up a list of things I'd like to download and have the program grab it automatically for me. Like when a particular version of linux comes up, I'd like it to download as soon as its available.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

visuvius posted:

So is there some consensus as to the best nzb management program at this point?

Sabnzbd

The other that has some users is nzbget.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

visuvius posted:

So is there some consensus as to the best nzb management program at this point? I've been using Sabnzbd for years and its probably time to try something new. I'm not nearly as advanced a user as some of you dudes but I do want to be able to set up a list of things I'd like to download and have the program grab it automatically for me. Like when a particular version of linux comes up, I'd like it to download as soon as its available.

You don't need a new client you just need to set up rss.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Okay thanks guys I'm reading all this talk of NZBget, Couch Potato, NZBdrone and all this other stuff and I'm assuming what I'm using is antiquated but apparently not. I just started playing with the RSS function in Sabnzbd and while its a little cumbersome I think I can figure it out.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Okay, so. The PC I was running my Usenet stuff on died catastrophically, I didn't pay attention to NZB.su and it went away, I let my Supernews account expire (and I wasn't using it up anyway), and apparently I have performed a complete memory wipe on myself because I can't even remember what client I was using. I've re-read the last few pages and this is my plan of action:

There's a 2TB block for $60 at http://newsgroupdirect.com/deal-of-the-week#, which seems pretty cool.
Other people have recommended (and obfuscated, so I'll continue without knowing why) t week news, which looks like a good cheap sub for a low-usage person like me.
Finally there's https://www.xsusenet.com/ for emergency fills?

Are these different back-end providers, or am I doubling up somewhere? If I'm not spreading out accounts, where should I go to pick up another backup block?

I don't grab lots of shows and I'm not using this to replace TV, so I don't need something to automate naming or whatever. I'm just going to install NZBGet and trawl around that subreddit to find indexers that are open. The idea of running my own is interesting, though. Does anyone have advice that I won't find through Google?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Newsgroupdirect has been awful for me lately. I'm constantly having to fall back on the free servers to fill most things.

Oben fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 30, 2014

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Oben posted:

Newsgroupdirect has been awful for me lately. I'm constantly having to fall back on the free servers to fill most things.

Yes same here. I'm on a $7 a month unlimited plan which seems pretty sweet but then half the poo poo I try to pull doesn't download. I need a good solid backup source which might just become my main source.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

visuvius posted:

Yes same here. I'm on a $7 a month unlimited plan which seems pretty sweet but then half the poo poo I try to pull doesn't download. I need a good solid backup source which might just become my main source.

Astraweb has been consistent for me in the week I've used it, and it's $15/2months so about the same price.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I just stumbled upon this thread when looking for something else. I'm really out of the loop when it comes to Usenet now. I signed up to Easynews over 15 years ago when I thought Agent was a good client and let it roll and never thought to look at what else was out there, apart from switching to the Easynews web interface. Paying $9.98 for 35gb a month (20gb plus 1gb/year loyalty bonus) and 365 days retention compared to Blocknews $21.59 for 200gb that doesn't run out and over 2,000 days retention is mad. Especially as I don't use all that 35gb every month and the maximum rollover on Easynews is 500gb.

All those wasted gigs, and all that wasted money. :negative:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Seeing an issue with nzbget and videosort. I have the latest stable nzbget, python 2, videosort 5. All of my categories looks correct, videosort is set to my movie category, but when I choose the details it says: "videosort: none"

Also, does anyone know how to remove sample files from nzbget.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
There's usually a samples delete addon included, you just have to include it in the per category stuff (Category->Category.PostScript). Also make sure VideoSort is listed there too. The category stuff in nzbget is case sensitive, so if you have "Movies" in one spot and "movies" in another it can break your automation chain. I would have to see the rest of your config to really lend a hand but I suggest making sure both the category and the videosort addon configs are correct.

As an example my Movies category has a PostScript line that looks like this: nzbtomedia\ResetDateTime.py, nzbtomedia\DeleteSamples.py, videosort\VideoSort.py

My VideoSort config has the Movies category set there and I also use it to set the DestDir. Oh and try changing your Aliases to Movies* to catch indexers giving you weird category names.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 3, 2014

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

visuvius posted:

Okay thanks guys I'm reading all this talk of NZBget, Couch Potato, NZBdrone and all this other stuff and I'm assuming what I'm using is antiquated but apparently not. I just started playing with the RSS function in Sabnzbd and while its a little cumbersome I think I can figure it out.

I think Sabnzbd is still great. But I think NzbDrone is superior to Sickbead. The biggest thing for me is it supports trying different releases if another fails, similar to how Couchpotato works.

I honestly wish one of these guys would move towards a plugin like architecture which you could then support TV shows, movies, music, comics, etc. through instead of needing separate server daemons for all of this crap.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

xgalaxy posted:

I think Sabnzbd is still great. But I think NzbDrone is superior to Sickbead. The biggest thing for me is it supports trying different releases if another fails, similar to how Couchpotato works.

I honestly wish one of these guys would move towards a plugin like architecture which you could then support TV shows, movies, music, comics, etc. through instead of needing separate server daemons for all of this crap.

There is such a program, but last I checked it's pretty buggy and the plugins don't work as well as the dedicated daemons. Still, it's written in python iirc, so it's pretty easy to develop for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do prefer NZBGet to Sab these days, it feels a little more functional. If I was starting from scratch, I'd use get. If I had a stable system with sab, I'd leave it.

I wish nzbs.org supported sending straight to Get, I use the RSS feed but it'd just be a bit easier if it could. And had a mobile stylesheet because jesus it's not 2006.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

There's usually a samples delete addon included, you just have to include it in the per category stuff (Category->Category.PostScript). Also make sure VideoSort is listed there too. The category stuff in nzbget is case sensitive, so if you have "Movies" in one spot and "movies" in another it can break your automation chain. I would have to see the rest of your config to really lend a hand but I suggest making sure both the category and the videosort addon configs are correct.

As an example my Movies category has a PostScript line that looks like this: nzbtomedia\ResetDateTime.py, nzbtomedia\DeleteSamples.py, videosort\VideoSort.py

My VideoSort config has the Movies category set there and I also use it to set the DestDir. Oh and try changing your Aliases to Movies* to catch indexers giving you weird category names.

Thanks I got it working. I am also looking into this subliminal addon, is anyone running it with nzbdrone? Obviously nzbdrone will move the file, not sure if it can move subtitles as well.

I use Plex, and would rather have subs from non-opensubtitles.

Gonna try out:

https://github.com/bramwalet/Subliminal.bundle for Plex, if anyone else is interested in this.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 6, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Konsek posted:

I just stumbled upon this thread when looking for something else. I'm really out of the loop when it comes to Usenet now. I signed up to Easynews over 15 years ago when I thought Agent was a good client and let it roll and never thought to look at what else was out there, apart from switching to the Easynews web interface. Paying $9.98 for 35gb a month (20gb plus 1gb/year loyalty bonus) and 365 days retention compared to Blocknews $21.59 for 200gb that doesn't run out and over 2,000 days retention is mad. Especially as I don't use all that 35gb every month and the maximum rollover on Easynews is 500gb.

All those wasted gigs, and all that wasted money. :negative:
Not to knock Blocknews, but that 365 days retention is only for the website. NNTP retention is over 2000 days for Easynews too, and they only count half your download when you use NNTP. They also use a different backend providers, so it works well to use one as a backup for the other.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

So I've been missing out on new stuff more and more often lately, so I finally decided to move out of the dark ages towards more automation in my setup, instead of just sabnzbd and looking regularly for new postings, though the nzb360 app does that make that pretty painless. Got couchpotato and nzbdrone setup, tried out sickbeard but the whole won't retry on failed download, and if you ask it to try again it will likely download the exact same thing was annoying. I'm liking it very much overall, wish I'd done it sooner, also have everything running on my unraid server for efficiency.
I'm going to need more hard drives.

How do you use RSS feeds?

I'm also using a highwinds reseller, who has the cheapest blockplans on another server for a backup? I think I'm good on indexers, nzbs.org and dognzb (though the bitcoin thing was more than annoying).

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Tanbo posted:

I'm also using a highwinds reseller, who has the cheapest blockplans on another server for a backup?

Still blocknews, I guess? astraweb is a bit more expensive if under 500 GB.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Actually I just switched to Astraweb after seeing the $15 per 2 months deal, little bit cheaper, plus can use the eu server as another backup. Though looks like blocknews is Readnews, so that's still okay.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There will probably be some good deals around Black Friday / Cyber Monday, so if you get a block plan now, go for a small one.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Often times the same item is posted twice with the exact same name, like it won't even say "RP". When using the RSS function in sabnzbd, is there any way to make it only download one of the two posts? I see how to exclude stuff but I'm not sure how to exclude duplicates.

Final-Reality
May 27, 2004

Big Pink: It's the only gum with the breath-freshening power of ham. And it pinkens your teeth while you chew!
I've been using an unlimited newsdemon account for $10/mo for the past ~2.5 years when suddenly it "expired". I talked to support and this is what they said:

quote:

James, We lost one of the disks in our billing system recently and realized that we had lost data for a few users during the recovery process. Unfortunately your account was affected and the only option available at this point is to sign up for a new account.

They won't honor their pricing I had before this supposed "disk failure". What a loving sham.. has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: What's recommended these days? I also have a slow tweaknews account to help with missing blocks but I'd like to get another unlimited high speed account that's on a different backbone than tweaknews.

Final-Reality fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 8, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Final-Reality posted:

I've been using an unlimited newsdemon account for $10/mo for the past ~2.5 years when suddenly it "expired". I talked to support and this is what they said:

They won't honor their pricing I had before this supposed "disk failure". What a loving sham.. has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: What's recommended these days? I also have a slow tweaknews account to help with missing blocks but I'd like to get another unlimited high speed account that's on a different backbone than tweaknews.

Yeah, we discussed this in this thread recently. They're trying to scam you.

Final-Reality
May 27, 2004

Big Pink: It's the only gum with the breath-freshening power of ham. And it pinkens your teeth while you chew!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, we discussed this in this thread recently. They're trying to scam you.

Yeah sorry, I just saw the conversation on the previous page.. shady bastards.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Final-Reality posted:

Yeah sorry, I just saw the conversation on the previous page.. shady bastards.

Do you have any idea how much you downloaded? I would do over a TB a month so I get why they'd cancel my $4 account. I'm curious if you were also what they'd consider a heavy user or if they're just dumping discounted accounts regardless.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Final-Reality posted:

Supernews $9 has server me well, I use that with tweaknews and I am usually good to go.

Final-Reality
May 27, 2004

sedative posted:

Do you have any idea how much you downloaded? I would do over a TB a month so I get why they'd cancel my $4 account. I'm curious if you were also what they'd consider a heavy user or if they're just dumping discounted accounts regardless.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd consider me a heavy user. For me I think about 300GB is a typical month. I seemed to have made it a month longer than most people, I would usually get a received payment email around the 6th of the month. In any case I signed up for astra today so here's hoping things work out better with them..

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

I had a different experience with News demon.

I got one of their 1TB fire sale deals a while back to use as a spare block account and, when I log in to my account on their web interface, my account still shows as active with nearly a TB left on it.
But logging in to their news servers with the same login details in SAB just gets me an authentication failed error. It's very weird. I haven't contacted their support yet, mostly because I have a feeling they'll just fob me off.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I signed up for frugalusenet and it's been great so far. Not a lot of retention though so if you need to download older stuff it's not gonna work for you. But it's 4.99 a month or 50 for a year, so a good cheap option.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I had a different experience with News demon.

I got one of their 1TB fire sale deals a while back to use as a spare block account and, when I log in to my account on their web interface, my account still shows as active with nearly a TB left on it.
But logging in to their news servers with the same login details in SAB just gets me an authentication failed error. It's very weird. I haven't contacted their support yet, mostly because I have a feeling they'll just fob me off.

I managed to get overlooked or something by Newsdemon during their little... billing debacle. My account was temporarily suspended for hitting the cap on their unlimited package (roughly 3TB).

You would think they wouldn't miss someone like me if they were getting rid of the heavy users on that cheap plan.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

St. Blaize posted:

I signed up for frugalusenet and it's been great so far. Not a lot of retention though so if you need to download older stuff it's not gonna work for you. But it's 4.99 a month or 50 for a year, so a good cheap option.

I use frugalusenet as my primary, with blocknews and tweaknews as backup sources for anything older. I also have the EU server for frugal set, and just cut connections on each to a third of my max allowed. I very rarely get anything that doesn't download properly, and it's significantly cheaper than my old newshosting + blocknews setup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PitViper posted:

just cut connections on each to a third of my max allowed.

What is the purpose of this?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
R1CH (waffleimages guy) made an SH/SC thread once about why people should kindly reduce the number of server connections in their browser settings and use pipelining. I took it as a rule of thumb that the minimum number of connections that still provides the same throughput is more "polite" to servers and anecdotally using fewer nntp connections seems to improve responsiveness for loading other web resources as needed for all machines on the network, which I prefer since I consider SAB activity to be bulk network traffic/batch processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

R1CH (waffleimages guy) made an SH/SC thread once about why people should kindly reduce the number of server connections in their browser settings and use pipelining. I took it as a rule of thumb that the minimum number of connections that still provides the same throughput is more "polite" to servers and anecdotally using fewer nntp connections seems to improve responsiveness for loading other web resources as needed for all machines on the network, which I prefer since I consider SAB activity to be bulk network traffic/batch processing.

Well yes, you shouldn't use more connections than you need to maximize your throughput.

If it takes all of them to maximize it, there's nothing impolite about using them all. Unlike most websites, you pay usenet providers for X number of connections.