Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Pointless tangent: I don't know anything about chess. I was watching a documentary about Bobby Fischer, this American chess player who was a big deal during the cold war. From childhood he basically uses one set of opening moves in every chess game, tweaking and refining his responses and countermoves for ten or twenty years straight. He competes his way up the international ladder, beats the second best guy in the world. He finally gets a shot at this Russian guy who is the best chess player alive. They both spend months preparing for each other. First move of the game, Fischer just does some completely new opening which nobody has ever seen him do before. Russian guy has spent a massive training camp preparing for the one opening move, and suddenly 100% of his training is out the window and he gets wrecked. I was really entertained by this.

Unfortunately it's not true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer#Road_to_the_World_Championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Oh boy does it.

You have a bunch of Olympic gold medalists and golden glove winners, and an Olympic Head Boxing Coach for Team USA. -Blackadder-, if you want to learn how to box and get fit and amazing at the same time, I'm quite sure you can achieve that at the Tacoma Boxing Club. And like most boxing gyms, it's dirt cheap. edit: and they can barely throw up a web page, which is a good sign for a boxing club. I wouldn't be surprised if the head coached didn't know how to use email. Not a bad sign either. (In boxing. Seriously).

Yeah for realsies if you went and trained with these dudes and if you aren't a complete loving useless human you'll learn to box well enough you won't ever need to be worried about lighting someone up if you had to. If I had that kind of instructor close by I'd live in that gym.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Well that's disappointing. It must be a drunken half-memory.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Been a crazy 4 years of life since I got my purple belt. A lot of life happened between purple and brown for me but I am truly honored to be promoted by such an amazing coach, and to have such great training partners and mentors here in Dallas.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Congratulations, that's awesome!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Congratulations, that's awesome!

Thank you. Does anyone know if revgear belts shrink? My coach gave me an A4, and I mean I know I need to lose about 15lbs but I'm an A3!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Bad rear end dude. Good job. :toot:

That's a huge step. I haven't even gotten a stripe on my white belt yet. I've been mostly doing kickboxing, and BJJ is on the same day so that's a bit much for my smoking a pack a day unfit rear end. Since I get my orange "officially" next week I might start doing the M/W/F advanced classes, but remembering all of those combos is difficult for me and I need the conditioning of the beginner classes yet.

Either way, awesome job man.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rabhadh posted:

I'm starting boxing on Monday, I've never boxed in my entire life so what kind of shoes do I wear?

I boxed in $20 asics wrestling shoes for years. Those are probably the best to by and once you figure out how you box best you can buy shoes meant to help with that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ch3cooh posted:

Been a crazy 4 years of life since I got my purple belt. A lot of life happened between purple and brown for me but I am truly honored to be promoted by such an amazing coach, and to have such great training partners and mentors here in Dallas.

Congratulations!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Smoker match trip report:
- we agreed to 195lb same day weigh in. Both of us didn't really seem to cut much.
- no headgear, which was new to me, but I figured what the hell.
- 3 x 2min rounds, 1min rest. Amateur Thai rules (no knees to head, no elbows).
- first round, I did fine. Initiated exchanges, landed good combos, used footwork and pivots to keep away from him. I thought if I could keep it up, it would definitely be my match. But I could also tell at the end of the round that I was tiring.
- 2nd round, I was stalling a lot, backing up, not initiating. Couldn't catch the one head kick he threw, but did block it. Got hit with a lot of kicks, nothing heavy. Took one really solid cross when I was backed up in the ropes. Teammates were yelling for me to initiate the whole time, which helped some. Had trouble standing at the end of the round I was so tired.
- 3rd round, both of us were gassed. I honestly didn't know who output more. The ref (who was from my gym) had the crowd cheer us on; I thought that meant it was 10s left, and started weak flurrying. Nope. So I really wiped myself out and limped around until the real 10s, after which I put in one more terrible flurry.

The adrenaline dump took away my usual stamina, which sucked. I would have loved to do 3 rounds like my first round. Definitely a learning experience.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
D you win?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Our smokers are draws if they go the distance. I need to ask people for footage to review. Everybody was filming vertically :cripes:

Only one match ended early -- 6'2" 170lber threw big rights at his bullrushing opponent and got an 8-count. Then at the bell, he clocked him again and sent him into the ropes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Lots of awesome guys in this thread!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Operation Shrink The Belt is underway. Will post a report after complete

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had a rad four hour Muay Thai/Sub Grappling/Bjj seminar earlier, got my first tag on my blue belt (and dear god how the whole grading thing matters so much less to me than when I was a white belt). Not a bad day, all told.

(Although it still matters enough where I want to mention it on a semi-anonymous internet forum)

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Checking leg kicks today reminded me just how unconditioned my legs have become as a result of taking the summer off.

Inner leg

Outer leg

That area right below the bruise is actually a divot in my leg. That big bruise is almost the size of two silver dollars.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think you might be checking leg kicks wrong maybe.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What the hell is a tag on your belt

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

origami posted:

What the hell is a tag on your belt

I think it's just another word for stripe.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

What in the flying poo poo ? are you training without shinguards ?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Novum posted:

I think you might be checking leg kicks wrong maybe.

The drill went like this: one partner throws a kick, the other guy checks it and immediately fires back with the opposite leg. We were using shin guards, it's just that one guy went a little hard and since I'm new here and not wanting to complain I didn't say anything. Honestly, it wasn't debilitatingly painful when it was happening, it just left some gnarly bruises.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It irks me quite a bit when someone goes too hard in drills. Sparring is more understandable

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

When training, you give yourself over to your partner so they can improve their technique, they should respect this.

What I'm saying is people who go too hard for no reason in drills are dicks.

Edited for clarity.

Dysgenesis fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 29, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I know my gym ain't the roughest toughest ever, but if you're getting bruised doing drills while wearing kick pads, that's a bit rough in my opinion, unless you bruise really easy.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Crosspost from PSP Grappling thread:

I competed in my first ever tournament (only took me 2.5 years...) a few weeks ago annnnnndddd I lost all my matches. Loved the experience though, and will certainly do it again. Finally got the matches on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vn_bEMcIc8

This was my last of the day (I did 4 divisions), but also the only one I scored any points in and looked competent at all. Not coincidentally, it's the only one I start by pulling guard instead of trying to work my meager stand-up game. I'm the one with the goatee. All critiques welcome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KildarX posted:

I know my gym ain't the roughest toughest ever, but if you're getting bruised doing drills while wearing kick pads, that's a bit rough in my opinion, unless you bruise really easy.

With that particular drill, your coach will be telling you to go as soon as the kick lands. To train responding right away after contact. So even if you're not going hard, you'll be going fast, flinging that leg out right away. If you land with just your toes, it'll leave a welt but not as much of a deep bruise. A lot of painful surface damage that doesn't impede you from using your leg.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My first boxing class was amazing fun, can't wait to start sparring. I have no idea if boxing will help my aikido or the other way around but it was really nice to do something resembling a real fight. I really like hitting people (when they want me to).

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Haha. I'm the opposite of that, Rabhadh. After kickboxing I'm really liking BJJ and Judo because I hate hitting people even if they want me to. No problem tearing off their arms and chocking them though! I mean that poo poo's part of the "gentle art". It can't be too painful, can it?

On a related note my throat has been sore for like two weeks now because of all the choke holds we are doing and my dumb rear end not tapping out early enough. God drat I love this stuff.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Emergency posted:

Haha. I'm the opposite of that, Rabhadh. After kickboxing I'm really liking BJJ and Judo because I hate hitting people even if they want me to. No problem tearing off their arms and chocking them though! I mean that poo poo's part of the "gentle art". It can't be too painful, can it?

On a related note my throat has been sore for like two weeks now because of all the choke holds we are doing and my dumb rear end not tapping out early enough. God drat I love this stuff.

My adams apple now sits about an inch up and to the left of where it should because of someone crushing the gently caress out of my throat with a choke. It hurt for about 6 weeks to swallow, now it clicks when I drink or eat.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think I'm going to get him some sort of gift down the road but I have no idea what you would get someone like that. I'll probably ask you guys later on when I do it.

The best gift you can give him is showing up to class, doing your best and enjoying the gently caress out of the classes. It sounds cheesy, but if he's anything like my instructors and coaches, knowing that you're getting positive life changes out of what he's offering will be worth a ton.

Stick with it, don't stress if you miss some classes due to having a low week, and just keep at it.

And if you really want to get him something, a card and a gift certificate to a top notch steakhouse would probably be a cool gift. Dude's gotta eat, right?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got my sambo shoes! They're a size too big so I'll need to exchange them, but they feel just like slippers. Can't wait to train in these.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Perdido posted:

The best gift you can give him is showing up to class, doing your best and enjoying the gently caress out of the classes. It sounds cheesy, but if he's anything like my instructors and coaches, knowing that you're getting positive life changes out of what he's offering will be worth a ton.

Stick with it, don't stress if you miss some classes due to having a low week, and just keep at it.

And if you really want to get him something, a card and a gift certificate to a top notch steakhouse would probably be a cool gift. Dude's gotta eat, right?

Not a bad idea. He said he's liking me showing up to class more often. I was supposed to get my orange tonight. He even said 15 minutes before class was over that he was going to. Then he walks out with two yellow belts and I was like... awwww. I asked him about it afterwards and he was just like "Aw poo poo, I forgot". No big deal. I understand he's a busy guy. But with my dumb brain it really bummed me out. He said he would on Thursday.

I think a gift certificate for him and his wife might be a good gift. I just have to find a good place in town that he likes. It will probably be a while though. He started up his own cage fighting thing and we have 9 guys out of 14 fights on November 8th. It's called Wisconsin Xtreme Cagefighting or something like that. I'm going to try to not to drink until then. I think this will be the 3rd event. I haven't missed one yet and it just wouldn't be the same not drinking at one.

Edit - I ran that by my mom and she thinks that would put him in an awkward situation. I'm not sure I agree. I just want to show my appreciation in someway how he is truly changing my life and helping me with my mental health. Uhg. :suicide:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It's terrifying that a goon's life depends on Ben Rothwell's continued success at fighting.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Your mom is right.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Ben Rothwell: Breaking faces and saving lives.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

I think a gift certificate for him and his wife might be a good gift. I just have to find a good place in town that he likes. It will probably be a while though. He started up his own cage fighting thing and we have 9 guys out of 14 fights on November 8th. It's called Wisconsin Xtreme Cagefighting or something like that. I'm going to try to not to drink until then. I think this will be the 3rd event. I haven't missed one yet and it just wouldn't be the same not drinking at one.

Edit - I ran that by my mom and she thinks that would put him in an awkward situation. I'm not sure I agree. I just want to show my appreciation in someway how he is truly changing my life and helping me with my mental health. Uhg. :suicide:

I'm friends with someone who owns and operates their own school and she gets a lot of little gifts from parents of students and from adult students. Maybe if the gym is super macho or something it might be weird, but it seems like it isn't, so what the hell.

That could be something to help motivate you to keep going to class: come up with a milestone that you'd like to accomplish (new belt level, nailing some combo or submission or something in class, etc.) and when you get to it, just give him your gift and thank him. It sounds like you've got some very serious issues and I think your situation is a little unique, so I don't think it'd be weird at all.

And keep going to class! And eating well and minimizing your drinking! That's the biggest thing you can do to show your gratitude: keep improving and bettering yourself.

Novum posted:

It's terrifying that a goon's life depends on Ben Rothwell's continued success at fighting.

This, also, haha. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You guys are all right. I am kinda hosed up. You should see the list the VA has on my diagnosis-es? and reason I'm 100% disabled. It's a page long of crazy poo poo I don't even remember doing. Like persistent danger of hurting others and self. Delusions or hallucinations, etc. WTF?

I don't really have a life right now and my main goal IN my lovely life is to get stable. I can't work, I do nothing all day, and all I'm trying to do is stay out of trouble and somewhat sane and positive. Obviously the alcohol needs to go because that has been involving the police and hospitals more and more frequently due to suicide attempts and general buggery.

Most importantly, Ben happens to be the biggest role model I have in my life right now, and as sad as that is, he (unknowingly) is truly helping me to make changes. It gives me a reason to wake up everyday which I loathe as I lie in bed. I slept 18 hours two days ago and 12 yesterday. I've got nothing... but MMA.

I know it seems like I'm some pathetic weirdo (I am), but if you met me in person you'd think I'm 100% normal. I'm not a normal goon. I'm not super fat; I'm about 195 and 5'10.5" with very little muscle though. I shave occasionally. I bathe. I can carry on a normal conversation. I have a sense of humor. I hate anime. I just have a serious mental disease. And right now I'm working very hard to get some positive things in my life. MMA, so far, is the most positive thing I have and I want to work harder at attending more and getting better and better. I don't think I'll have the stability to join the fight team but I might eventually do some BJJ tournaments in the far future. I normally have none, but there is always hope that I can improve myself and at least be able to live a somewhat normal life.

I know that I tell you guys a lot of boring and personal bullshit, but it helps a little to talk about the only thing I have right now, and I appreciate you guys not kicking me out of here yet.

Edit - Thanks for the advice Perdido

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 1, 2014

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

You guys are all right. I am kinda hosed up. You should see the list the VA has on my diagnosis-es? and reason I'm 100% disabled. It's a page long of crazy poo poo I don't even remember doing. Like persistent danger of hurting others and self. Delusions or hallucinations, etc. WTF?

I don't really have a life right now and my main goal IN my lovely life is to get stable. I can't work, I do nothing all day, and all I'm trying to do is stay out of trouble and somewhat sane and positive. Obviously the alcohol needs to go because that has been involving the police and hospitals more and more frequently due to suicide attempts and general buggery.

Most importantly, Ben happens to be the biggest role model I have in my life right now, and as sad as that is, he (unknowingly) is truly helping me to make changes. It gives me a reason to wake up everyday which I loathe as I lie in bed. I slept 18 hours two days ago and 12 yesterday. I've got nothing... but MMA.

I know it seems like I'm some pathetic weirdo (I am), but if you met me in person you'd think I'm 100% normal. I'm not a normal goon. I'm not super fat; I'm about 195 and 5'10.5" with very little muscle though. I shave occasionally. I bathe. I can carry on a normal conversation. I have a sense of humor. I hate anime. I just have a serious mental disease. And right now I'm working very hard to get some positive things in my life. MMA, so far, is the most positive thing I have and I want to work harder at attending more and getting better and better. I don't think I'll have the stability to join the fight team but I might eventually do some BJJ tournaments in the far future. I normally have none, but there is always hope that I can improve myself and at least be able to live a somewhat normal life.

I know that I tell you guys a lot of boring and personal bullshit, but it helps a little to talk about the only thing I have right now, and I appreciate you guys not kicking me out of here yet.

I don't think there's a single person in this thread that hasn't seen significant improvements in life from training martial arts it sounds cliche but it really does make you a better person.

Keep at it dude your clearly doing awesome!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We always throw some money in a metaphorical hat and buy a meal voucher for whatever is the best place in town at that time for our coach and his wife, gives him an excuse to take her out, because the rest of the time the dude's holding down a full-time job and then teaching most evenings. Hopefully makes her realise we appreciate her not wrecking our training by leaving him due to neglect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

No worries man. It's been cool to read some of your posts talking about your struggles and dealing with your personal issues here in a way that a lot of Goons really don't, so props to you for trying to deal with some serious poo poo in your life as best you can. I can't imagine it's easy, given the severity of it all.

One thing I haven't really noticed you talk about is your diet. If you're looking for another way to utilize your time, look at ways you can improve your eating habits. It's probably a seriously minor, almost inconsequential thing in regards to addressing your issues, but it might help with the lethargy you're feeling and get you out of bed.

But keep up with the training and do your best with it. And don't beat yourself up, man! Yeah, you might be hosed up (who isn't, these days?), but there's nothing sad about having a goddamned UFC fighter as a role model (unless it's someone like Matt Hughes) or weird about having a boner for martial arts.

• Locked thread