Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

The halo of pure white space surrounding it draws the eye making it the focus. And Cloud Potato was right. It's something editorial cartoonists draw on the eve of any election when they have to talk about something but don't know anything yet.

Yeah but I don't mean a visual focus, I mean the narrative focus (or something). If you wanted to draw a 'frenzied campaign but the actual voting is forgotten' cartoon, that would be a good way to do it, because the voting booth is untouched and apparently abandoned in the corner. There's no sign of anyone about to vote, the booth isn't framed centrally like 'this is all that matters now', it looks more like a 'by the way' aside than the main focus of the scene.

You can make arguments either way, which makes it ambiguous at best, which is a bit poor for this kind of generic 'moment of history' cartoon

Extreme0 posted:

So I think we are going to see cartoons of Salmond getting kicked, mauled, stabbed or something.

The Times will probably run Salmond Mouse in a union jack-themed trap screaming NOOOOOOOOO while his pound coin ears pop off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Scottish referendum result – Referendum hangover could be found on streets across Scotland as the "Yessers" – whose optimism had infected Scotland's high streets during the campaign – came to terms with defeat"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Wait, poo poo, I like this one. This is confusing.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

For gently caress's sake already.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I didn't expect the Telegraph to have the only good cartoon about the whole thing. Although this being the Telegraph they're probably applauding him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Adam's reunited kingdom is missing NI.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cliff Racer posted:

Adam's reunited kingdom is missing NI.

Yeah but you can't expect that level of minor detail, it's not like he put the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight on there oh wait

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but you can't expect that level of minor detail, it's not like he put the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight on there oh wait

Yeah I was going to say "Maybe he just did Britain" but Isle of Man is there. D:
Isle of Wight is part of England so that's not a big issue, its mainly the Isle of Man thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Isle of Man is Telegraph country, son :clint: / :wotwot:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The union is saved, but what lurks around the corner? - Chris Riddell on the Scottish independence, more devolution... and the prospect of another vote"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

Bit late for a Robin Williams tribute cartoon, I feel.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on new powers for Scotland – Ed Miliband and David Cameron at odds after 11th-hour promise of devolution before Scottish referendum"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Chin penes?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ahaha jesus, Thomas probably blacked out when he realised his nemesis Gordon Brown was back in the spotlight. I was looking at that Express thread on Mailwatch a while back, during the Brown years pretty much every single cartoon was I HATE GORDON BROWN whether there was any news story to tie in or not. Even the text gets heavier as soon as his name is mentioned

Loving Rowson's Clegg finger spiking all the promises

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on new powers for Scotland – Ed Miliband and David Cameron at odds after 11th-hour promise of devolution before Scottish referendum"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Gotta love how the potential eternal Tory majority is such a source of mirth. Miliband is somehow in the wrong for not wanting his own party out of power forever. What a buffoon!

It'll be interesting to see how the BBC handles this topic as they've been very cosy with the Tories since approximately when it looked like they had won the election. You know when they kept calling it for the Tories and forgot how UK politics works and what a majority was.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Ed Balls and the Labour party conference – The shadow chancellor addressed the Labour party conference in Manchester, proposing a spending watchdog role in vetting expenditure plans"

Telegraph:

Tony Blair on Islamic State: 'Don't rule out ground troops'

Independent:

Times:

Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Some Back to the Future action from Thomas.

Whenever I see that Times caricature I have to remind myself it's supposed to be Ed Balls and not Ken Clarke. Or maybe Hitler??? That's some prime labelling too, Brant would be proud

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There's something a bit disturbing about the way the bright, sunny day ends at the window, making the interior a black, shadowy, lamplit gloom.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's the spectre of communism pouring out from the labour conference into British homes across the nation

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There's something a bit disturbing about the way the bright, sunny day ends at the window, making the interior a black, shadowy, lamplit gloom.
They're in space, that window is just a flatscreen showing relaxing scenes. His tea & biscuits are clearly floating and that cat is hanging onto him for dear life.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but I don't mean a visual focus, I mean the narrative focus (or something).

*arouses from slumber* It's a cartoon, they're the same thing.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Ed Miliband’s Labour conference speech - Labour leader promises to bring the country back together during his address to party faithful"

Telegraph:

Tesco suspends execs as inquiry launched into profit overstatement

Independent:

Times:

Express:

I'm off to London for the next couple of days. Bye!

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 24, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

*arouses from slumber* It's a cartoon, they're the same thing.

Nah, because you can have different meanings where the same element is the focus, there's just a story built around that element and the framing helps to tell it. I mean there were a few of us reading completely opposite meanings into the same image, some of us saw:

and others saw

If Adams wants to make such an (uninspired and clichéd) point he could at least get a clear narrative in there! Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he left it ambiguous on purpose, to fit in with the general right-wing theme of chaos and a democratic shambles

Yeah I know it's looking into the craft a bit but I feel bad just saying 'Thomas is poo poo' all the time :shobon:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Did you miss me?

Guardians:

Telegraphs

Independents

3 After Bruegel

Timeses

Expressessessessessesses

But continental breakfasts are great? :confused:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Welcome back! I knew there was something missing in the bookmarks...

:phoneline::phoneline:

:heysexy:

Good to see the Times calling out the jingoism too

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

But continental breakfasts are great? :confused:

Oh, man, First Dog. Do more of him please, even if he is technically Aussie.

Also that express cartoon is bang on considering Cleese is an unrepentant bigot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why does every male asylum seeker wear some form of forage cap in Paul Thomas World? Is that even a thing? Where are they supposed to be seeking asylum from? Tsarist Russia?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
It's just an incredibly racist caricature of Romani people, it doesn't have to reflect reality. Actually it's better for him if it doesn't, because then it really gets the swivel-eyed crowd going "they're so different to us!"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah all the men are swarthy and unshaven with their funny hats and patched-up clothes, the women are... swarthy and unshaven (check out that loving attention to detail) with their funny headscarves and hoop earrings and shawls. They all do double duty as his general 'eastern european' stereotype, no matter where they're meant to be from. Pretty amazing how this is actually allowed to be printed

For anyone playing along at home, the woman at the front is probably meant to be a good honest English person unnerved by the presence of all these foreign types in... a hotel. The pinstripe guy on the right is 100% angry patriot material

Forums Terrorist posted:

The Guardian carries it now, because a) it's funny and b) even the Australian stuff somehow manages to be completely relevant to what's happening the UK! Wow!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Eastern European/Romanian asylum seekers. Good to know that he doesn't know or care the difference between an Eritrean or Iranian fleeing violence and a Bulgarian moving around within the EU.

I'm not sure if that's better than the alternative though, I can almost imagine what his East Africans migrants would look like.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's Conservative party conference speech – [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29402844"}Chancellor says a re-elected Tory government will freeze benefits, tax credits and public sector pay[/url]"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Ingmar Bergman.

Times:

Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

IMMIGRANTS EVERYWHERE

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

IMMIGRANTS EVERYWHERE
:golfclap:

loving foreign tradesmen looking all over the place for are royals.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thank you Mario! But our Princess was murdered by the foreigns!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Thank you Mario! But our Princess was murdered by the foreigns eaten by foreign swans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

IMMIGRANTS EVERYWHERE

baka kaba posted:

Thank you Mario! But our Princess was murdered by the foreigns!

Excellent :golfclap:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Forums Terrorist posted:

His art is godawful but sometimes he's pretty spot on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

baka kaba posted:

IMMIGRANTS EVERYWHERE
This owns, that is all

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Conservative party conference – Theresa May, in a chilling speech in which she highlighted the scale of the threat to Britain from Isis, stressed the need to "defeat the ideology that lies behind the threat""

Bonus: Martin Rowson: drawing ‘the vilest government of my lifetime’

Telegraph:

World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report

Times:

Express:

David Cameron promises seven-day GP access by 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:stonk: That Farage is horrifying!

This is a pretty cool insight into his working.

• Locked thread