Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jesus christ, how appalling is it that the Labour puking festival of a conference, which really should have precluded anyone from ever voting for them again, is now a land of lollypops and sunshine?

Who, outside people with country estates, are going to survive another four years of Tory-dom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

Jesus christ, how appalling is it that the Labour puking festival of a conference, which really should have precluded anyone from ever voting for them again, is now a land of lollypops and sunshine?

Who, outside people with country estates, are going to survive another four years of Tory-dom?

Actually I think you'll find both parties are exactly the same.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Noxville posted:

Yeah, but at least Labour pretends :(

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Cameron was on Northern Ireland local news appealing to the nationalist parties in the NI Assembly to please, please punish your poors. Absolutely no regard for the unique social and economic problems still blighting Northern Ireland on account of only emerging from 30 years of civil war in 1998. Nope, on your bikes scroungers! All that matters now is the hardworking taxpayer.

quote:

Speaking to UTV's Ken Reid on Monday, Mr Cameron urged Northern Ireland's main parties "even if they can't do all of welfare reform to do some welfare reform".

"I think we've demonstrated in the rest of the United Kingdom that welfare reform really works," he said.

"We've got half a million fewer people across our United Kingdom out of work benefits because we've made welfare reforms."

The Tory leader was explicit that extra resources for the region are not available.

"Northern Ireland is funded generously, they do have to make decisions."

The Executive is faced with the task of finding £200m in cuts - almost £90m of which is from the fines imposed because of the disagreement over welfare reform.

DUP Finance Minister Simon Hamilton has warned that the Assembly could face further penalties or the Treasury stepping in if action is not taken soon.

Sinn Féin opposed the Bill which has been introduced in the rest of the UK.

quote:

There can't be extra money. I don't think that would be fair on tax payers elsewhere in the United Kingdom.

Prime Minister David Cameron

I was talking about this earlier when I phoned my mum and she said a lot of the working class unionist support for the Good Friday Agreement was won because people were promised that power sharing would make their futures less poo poo. Last week she got a leaflet through the door advising to take extra care on the roads this winter because damaged roads may go without repair and streetlight bulbs will not be replaced :stare:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I hope David Cameron dies soon

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

gorki posted:

Cameron was on Northern Ireland local news appealing to the nationalist parties in the NI Assembly to please, please punish your poors. Absolutely no regard for the unique social and economic problems still blighting Northern Ireland on account of only emerging from 30 years of civil war in 1998. Nope, on your bikes scroungers! All that matters now is the hardworking taxpayer.

I was talking about this earlier when I phoned my mum and she said a lot of the working class unionist support for the Good Friday Agreement was won because people were promised that power sharing would make their futures less poo poo. Last week she got a leaflet through the door advising to take extra care on the roads this winter because damaged roads may go without repair and streetlight bulbs will not be replaced :stare:

We're getting absolutely shafted by the Tories welfare reform and personally I support the refusal to rubber stamp the package presented to the assembly, NI was always going to be hit the hardest by the reforms to incapacity/DLA and not taking into account our unique circumstances is ridiculous.

We're talking of losses amounting to about £650 a head in annual income, three of the four areas in the UK that will be hardest hit are in NI (in Derry the projections are £900 a head!). Our economy is also recovering considerably slower than the rest of the UK and there simply is not the capacity to employ everyone currently on incapacity, its a loving joke.

More figures and poo poo on The Detail
http://www.thedetail.tv/issues/279/welfare-reform/northern-ireland-is-uk-region-hardest-hit-by-welfare-reform

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Noxville posted:

"There's barely a Rizla paper between them!" is completely true but also a few people, usually the very vulnerable, literally live or die by that figurative Rizla paper.

It's the most depressing situation really, New Labour has a lot to answer for.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

"There's barely a Rizla paper between them!" is completely true but also a few people, usually the very vulnerable, literally live or die by that figurative Rizla paper.

It's the most depressing situation really, New Labour has a lot to answer for.

There's a shitload more than a rizla paper between previous Labour NHS policy and current tory policy and I'm at five friends and counting dead thanks to situations that absolutely should not have been allowed to happen.

The NHS reached breaking point a long time ago. Crisis Teams no longer head out with any qualified medical staff, and the police are beginning to feel the strain of having to house people they know full well should be in a mental hospital. Thankfully, there are people willing to open more prisons for us :v:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Spangly A posted:

Crisis Teams no longer head out with any qualified medical staff

this is bollocks

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Wont the Scrounger Card™ see an increase in theft and muggings as dependants seek an alternative income to fund their addictions? The entire thing doesn't sound very well thought out, but I guess on paper its a Daily Mailer's wet loving dream.

Between the conservative announcements today and labours plan to freeze working and child benefits for another 2 years I feel that im kind of hosed either way.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

this is bollocks

When's the last time you interacted with one?

(redacted)

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 30, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Spangly A posted:

When's the last time you interacted with one?

recently

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ok, are you counting social workers as qualified medical professionals?

(redacted)

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 30, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I like that Osborne is trying to obfuscate what's actually being affected by that "working age benefits" freeze.

Like my Carer's Allowance. I'm sure the Tories would have you believe that they're striving to make my life easier, being part of the Big Fuckin' Society All in this Together, then are freezing the benefit I have to claim because I CAN'T be present at a full-time job without taking away my mother's independence.

I'm actually looking into applying for Income Support this week, after discovering I should be eligible for it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Fumble posted:

Wont the Scrounger Card™ see an increase in theft and muggings as dependants seek an alternative income to fund their addictions? The entire thing doesn't sound very well thought out, but I guess on paper its a Daily Mailer's wet loving dream.

It will certainly lead to 40p on the pound groceries traded for cash by people that lack a social safety net but have addictions. Shoplifting and pay-day lender debt will increase. The social signifier of the card will make people less inclined to start receiving the economic support available to them. And it'll open a new market for lobbyists to parcel out where the cards can be used (extra pasta for Scrounger Cards if you "buy" at Tesco! Tampons only available to Scroungers at Asda!).

It's brutality masquerading as policy.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
I don't think crisis teams have ever had medical professionals. At least, not as a policy. The reliance on them is absolutely a problem, the mental health section of the NHS is getting cut down fast and it was never top-tier to start with.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I like that Osborne is trying to obfuscate what's actually being affected by that "working age benefits" freeze.

Like my Carer's Allowance. I'm sure the Tories would have you believe that they're striving to make my life easier, being part of the Big Fuckin' Society All in this Together, then are freezing the benefit I have to claim because I CAN'T be present at a full-time job without taking away my mother's independence.

I'm actually looking into applying for Income Support this week, after discovering I should be eligible for it.

It's more of a cut than a freeze, since it doesn't follow inflation.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

(whole lotta redacted)

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 30, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

and was told yesterday that as a former drug addict, I would be offered no support as they believed I would be noncompliant.
That sounds like a great way to encourage people with substance issues to never seek help in the first place. :catstare:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Of course crisis teams have psychiatrists. They are fully multidisciplinary. Just because you have t seen one doesn't mean they aren't available or are being consulted with behind the scenes. Anyway regardless of profession, mental health has been working in a more generic way for a long time, social workers, nurses,OTs etc on the front line are doing the same roles

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Of course crisis teams have psychiatrists. They are fully multidisciplinary. Just because you have t seen one doesn't mean they aren't available or are being consulted with behind the scenes. Anyway regardless of profession, mental health has been working in a more generic way for a long time, social workers, nurses,OTs etc on the front line are doing the same roles

Then it's regional, I was outright told they no longer have psychiatric on staff (redacted)

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 30, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Some surprising news from a few days ago: The only NHS hospital run by private firm provides ‘poor’ care, inspectors say.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Spangly A posted:

Then it's regional, I was outright told they no longer have psychiatric on staff and were unwilling to find an on-call from the hospital for me.

Then again this is the same region that had it's A&E shut down for habitual malpractice regarding emergency admissions.

they no longer have psychiatric staff, on the psychiatric ward or dept of the hospital? or there is no psych ward or dept? so where are the crisis team coming from? they cant do poo poo without a psychiatric assessment of the patient, to see if the patient's needs can be better met by crisis team involvement rather than a hospital stay. How can a crisis team be involved without a psychiatrist?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

the solution is obviously more privatisation

e: I'm joking, but you know that someone somewhere is arguing that unironically :smith:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Spangly A posted:

Then it's regional, I was outright told they no longer have psychiatric on staff and were unwilling to find an on-call from the hospital for me.

Then again this is the same region that had it's A&E shut down for habitual malpractice regarding emergency admissions.

They probably meant there was no doctor on duty in the team at that time, not that they didn't have one at all.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Maybe the private firm should have invested more in the upkeep of an expensive, valuable CEO to turn things around. Was their CEO badly paid? Maybe that's why it couldn't cope.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

stickyfngrdboy posted:

they no longer have psychiatric staff, on the psychiatric ward or dept of the hospital? or there is no psych ward or dept? so where are the crisis team coming from? they cant do poo poo without a psychiatric assessment of the patient, to see if the patient's needs can be better met by crisis team involvement rather than a hospital stay. How can a crisis team be involved without a psychiatrist?

Quite easily. Frontline assessment in psychiatry is often carried out by a professional other than a doctor. Trust me, most doctors in psychiatry other than the consultants are GP trainees on rotation and a experienced mental health nurse or other allied professional will run rings around them in terms of knowledge about mental health, particularly i terms of risk management.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Yeah I looked it up and it is policy to have a psychiatrist on-hand, but I can't find whether that means that they're literally part of the team or just someone that the team can consult. Anyway, can you somehow strongarm the GP into giving you an emergency appointment by mentioning malpractice? I really can't see any reason they'd have not to provide you with one except for sheer negligence.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm already known to the crisis team, they respond to the pager. They don't have permanent on-call staff psychiatrists, who I met with during every callout in my first year of hospitalisation. This I have been told is a recent change for budgetary concerns.

The local psych ward has been closed down due to budget for the last two years. All inpatients in this time, including myself on one occasion, are either sent to Ashford or the Cygnet ward in London. Which charges £5k a week. No patients have been sent to Cygnet in the last six months, and the police told us on saturday that they've nearly trebled the number of 136' issued in this time.

I don't know where the crisis team base now. Margate, I think.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 30, 2014

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Then make a complaint via PALS

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Then make a complaint via PALS

Man I'm not trying to be combative here, PALS already know. I've got a much, much better chance than a lot of people in my position would have. The entire situation is literally killing people and I just flipped at the thought that they weren't required to bring a Psych by policy, I'm sorry.

e; I also went way more in depth personally than I wanted to. I'm not comfortable with that and will be editing out personal details.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 30, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

In any decent world Labour would be running with this to an election victory. But doing so would mean them ditching their current Shadow Health Secretary, as he signed off on its privatisation in the first place.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Spangly A posted:

Man I'm not trying to be combative here, PALS already know. I've got a much, much better chance than a lot of people in my position would have. The entire situation is literally killing people and I just flipped at the thought that they weren't required to bring a Psych by policy, I'm sorry.

e; I also went way more in depth personally than I wanted to. I'm not comfortable with that and will be editing out personal details.

I wasn't trying to be combative either, I just wanted to make the point that the role of the medic within the MDT in mental health is radically different from in other branches of medicine, and frontline assessments being carried out by someone other than a psychiatrist is not about cuts or poor practice and in many cases, especially crisis work where often the majority of their initial contacts are offering brief support or assessment of emotional crisis. Often other professionals are as able or better able to offer an appropriate intervention. I wasn't commenting on your particular circumstances. There's no doubt that government cuts to the NHS budget are disproportionately impacting on mental health care, I see it daily, and I'm sure that your experience reflects that, but not necessarily because a crisis team are not obliged to provide someone with a face to face assessment by a consultant psychiatrist.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
It's also important to recognise that, due to the very egalitarian nature of labour distribution in mental health services, there's not much a doctor can offer that a well trained mental health nurse can't also offer. It pretty much just comes down to prescribing pills, which, as we've discussed in here before, don't actually work beyond the placebo effect in the majority of cases. So, as Serotonin's being saying repeatedly, other mental health professionals can usually provide a better and more appropriate intervention than a psychiatrist can, especially in the crisis situation.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Does anyone have Goddamntwisto's excellent post on the deficit saved by any chance?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kim jong-illin posted:

It pretty much just comes down to prescribing pills, which, as we've discussed in here before, don't actually work beyond the placebo effect in the majority of cases

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm

On the plus side, Ketamine is tearing through phase 3 with flying colours. The american phase 3s showed nearly 3x the effectiveness of proper use of SSRI, in a single dose, maintained for two weeks. Our trials are showing immediate marked improvement, maintainable, in chronic treatment-resistant cases.

On the negative side, gently caress the mentally ill, giving someone a controlled substance would mean admitting that government drug policy has always been about disenfranchisement. So it's never going to go to 4s.

haakman posted:

Does anyone have Goddamntwisto's excellent post on the deficit saved by any chance?

I have the debt one and I'm just going to start hoarding everyone's now.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Spangly A posted:

I have the debt one and I'm just going to start hoarding everyone's now.

That's the one I mean.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What, is ketamine being used as an anti-depressant, or at least being trialled as one? Or am I completely misunderstanding what Spangly A just posted?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Moderate doses of it seem to have a positive effect on severe depression.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

haakman posted:

That's the one I mean.

twisto posted:

National debt is completely and totally unlike household finances. The thing is that people just aren't used to thinking of money on those terms and default to thinking about credit cards, egged on by politicians who want to manufacture a crisis to implement their political agenda.

So first of all, sovereign debt (that is, debt issued in the currency of the issuing nation) has a pretty spectacular get-out-of-jail-free card. We agree to pay someone 1.1 billion quid in a year if they lend us a billion (the interest rate is a *lot* lower than that in reality but obviously I'm simplifying). Hmm... where can we lay our hands on 1.1 billion quid? Well, there are these printing presses over here... Long-term this isn't sustainable - the "free" money makes its way back into the economy, devaluing the pound and causing inflation, and the people we lent the money to remember and want more money next time - but short-term, say when recovering from a truly unprecedented crash in the world economy, it's fine.

This, by the way, is why any comparison to Greece or any other Eurozone nation is entirely pointless. Greece don't have a printing press, the Germans have it, and they're not going to gently caress up their own economy to help out the Greeks, European Ideal or not. It's also why debt-to-GDP is completely and totally pointless as any kind of indicator when comparing us to the Eurozone. We can use our printing press to grow our economy, through investment in infrastructure, R&D, and all that sort of fun stuff. We don't need to shrink the debt side if we grow the GDP side.

The next important difference between sovereign debt and household debt is cost - bond yields (the equivalent of an interest rate - basically we auction off bits of paper that are effectively IOUs saying "We'll pay whoever owns this bit of paper x million pounds on y date, and the difference between that face value and the amount they sell for at auction is basically the interest rate we pay) are spectacularly lower for sovereign debt. Indeed, in times of great financial calamity - like, say, the last 5 years - investors are so desperate for a safe harbour for their money that they are willing to pay more than the face value of the bond for the lack of risk. Just to reiterate, in bold because this is really loving important, when things are really hosed, we actually pay a negative interest rate. People will give us a million quid now for 990,000 quid later.

So. National debt - at this point - not an actual issue. However the Tories never let a crisis go to waste. They implant the idea that we have to pay off our national credit card (obviously bloated by evil Labour spending money on mansions for pedophile gypsies, not in a desperate attempt to rescue a financial system that is the darling of the neoliberals from imploding from the inevitable stupidity and unreality at its heart). This idea takes hold and the Tories give a really obvious solution to it - cut government spending! This is an obvious, common-sense, man-on-the-street solution and so is, of course, completely and totally the wrong thing to do. It completely ignores where almost all government spending goes, which is of course straight into the economy - in particular mostly to the poorest members of society, who instantly spend it (the feckless bastards) in local shops, who spend it with local suppliers, who spend it with local wholesalers, generating jobs and tax revenue all the way down the line. Much better to let the rich keep it where they can do good things like it like dumping it into the housing bubble or squirrel it away in the Virgin Islands.

The net effect of massive spending cuts then is to shrink the economy, shrinking tax revenues, meaning... you're going to love this... we have to borrow more money when we cut spending. It's a lie so spectacularly big that literally nobody ever dares call them out on it. The government's solution to a problem which doesn't actually exist actually exacerbates the problem. MORE CUTS FOR THE CUTS GOD! So why are they doing this? The same two reasons they do everything, and the two central planks of all Tory (of all colour) policy:

1: More money for us
2: gently caress you

Spending cuts have only one real effect - concentrating money into the hands who already have it. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's simple fact. When pressed on this Tories will either say that well actually the people at the top deserve that money or really it's going to help the economy in the long term by getting the nasty inefficient government out of the way of the strivers, but see points one and two and work out which story better fits the observable facts.

So, what could we as a society actually have done in '08? Good question. The one thing nobody knows is what would have happened if we'd just let it all crash. not even the most lunatic anarchocapitalist says that it would have worked out well - if nothing else pretty much every piece of money and property in the world would have ended up being the subject of three dozen different court cases in as many different jurisdictions trying to work out who actually owns it. What's certain of course is that the poorest would be the most hosed because that's the inevitable conclusion of everything that happens in this world. At best - at best - the whole world would have ended up like Russia in the nineties, with people giving up everything they own for just enough food to live, to the tiny amount of people who actually had ready cash.

Given that, if we accept that the system needed to be rescued, we could have just done what we always did before - borrow money, inflate ourselves out of the crisis, try to do what we can to cushion the blow as much as possible, and for fucks sake regulate the banking system properly to stop it happening again. So, of course, what we're doing is the exact, polar opposite. We're loving over the very poorest, saddling ourselves with more debt at worse rates (because the money markets aren't stupid and know that austerity is hurting our ability to repay and so cranking our rates up) and of course rejecting any calls to regulate anything ever.

When it happens again - and it will happen again - unless something big happens, the next crash will probably take the whole lot down because we've pissed away all our chances to fix it.

Still, some people made a couple of hundred quid off the Royal Mail privatisation!

JFairfax posted:

What, is ketamine being used as an anti-depressant, or at least being trialled as one? Or am I completely misunderstanding what Spangly A just posted?

Several trials have finished, the UK one is running. I've not read any definite requirements for a phase 4 to be granted but the rumourmill seems to think the government wants 6 weeks maintenance per dose. I've got a few of the papers handy if you're interested.

Filboid Studge posted:

Moderate doses of it seem to have a positive effect on severe depression.

.5mg/kg is hardly moderate, you're not going to notice any intoxication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Medicated Ketamine for depression?

This strikes me as a little risky, but back in Bristol Ketamine was loving huge, and still is, as a recreational drug - as I assume it is in various other places of the country.

But the problem is it has a nasty habit of loving up your bladder, I think the irreversible physical effects are quicker to manifest themselves than for pretty much any drug that is popular in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/7867449.stm

Like kids in their early 20s having their bladders removed.

http://www.ketaminebladdersyndrome.com/KBS/Welcome.html

So... yeah... I mean it sounds like the doses you're talking about aren't going to be the same league as kids who can hoover up a couple of Gs in a day or two, but it's a pretty solid recreational drug with some sever physical effects with prolonged heavy use...

• Locked thread