Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Cool I figured it was just the speakers. I'll put some cheap bass or guitar speakers in anyways and who cares if they get destroyed?

Might be a cool sound. Tone is relative and I'm pretty thankful I didn't get a bunch of people on here saying "you can if you want it to sound like anus sludge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You may want to pull a data sheet on the speaker, if you have several speakers to choose from. Bass speakers tend to (hopefully) have a lower usable frequency (fundamental) and a lower resonant frequency. Usually by about half.

Not that it necessarily matters, you aren't hearing only the fundamental, but also harmonic overtones. Apparently most of what you're hearing on a low E on a bass guitar is the second order harmonic, but I'm hardly an authority on this subject.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Also keep in mind bass speakers are designed for closed back/ported cabs, which help with low frequency clarity and preventing excessive speaker excursion (which is the main thing that causes basses to blow out guitar speakers). The former means you probably won't see as much difference in terms of low end as you might expect given you've said the JC120's speakers are already pretty decent on the low end, the latter means that there could still be a chance of blowing even a bass speaker if you turn it up too high (basically if you hear any speaker distortion, turn the volume back down), but I'm guessing that you probably won't given it's not "Instant Death" even for guitar speakers (hence the range of different experiences people have with bass through guitar speakers - there's solid explanation/a reason why xlim/xmax are listed in bass speaker spec sheets, but yeah).

I would worry a little about excessive vibration but that's generally only an issue for tube amps (because tubes) or amps that are built like poo poo, the JC120 should be neither of these things.

e:

jwh posted:

Apparently most of what you're hearing on a low E on a bass guitar is the second order harmonic, but I'm hardly an authority on this subject.
Something I was reading yesterday said it depended a lot on the scale length. This could have also been garbage though, because musicians.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

th1nk posted:

Also keep in mind bass speakers are designed for closed back/ported cabs, which help with low frequency clarity and preventing excessive speaker excursion (which is the main thing that causes basses to blow out guitar speakers). The former means you probably won't see as much difference in terms of low end as you might expect given you've said the JC120's speakers are already pretty decent on the low end, the latter means that there could still be a chance of blowing even a bass speaker if you turn it up too high (basically if you hear any speaker distortion, turn the volume back down), but I'm guessing that you probably won't given it's not "Instant Death" even for guitar speakers (hence the range of different experiences people have with bass through guitar speakers - there's solid explanation/a reason why xlim/xmax are listed in bass speaker spec sheets, but yeah).

I would worry a little about excessive vibration but that's generally only an issue for tube amps (because tubes) or amps that are built like poo poo, the JC120 should be neither of these things.

e:

Something I was reading yesterday said it depended a lot on the scale length. This could have also been garbage though, because musicians.

Good info, never thought of the closed back thing. That scale thing could be interesting and relevant as she plays a short scale. At the end of the it will make sound, and for where she is right now in her bass playing that will be good enough.

Her dad does a lot of car audio stuff. We are also considering having him make speaker box with a car amp and ghetto rigging it to run bass. Could be cool.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have this old hybrid peavey amp that's been acting up lately. I decided to order some new tubes for it to see if it helped any of the problems (plus the ones that are in it are likely ancient). It uses 2 6l6gc power tubes and I pulled one out to see what brand it was. I pulled it out and it only has 6 pins. I've never had another amp with 6l6's before, but I've changed el84's and they had all the pins. I don't see any evidence that anything broken off. Do they make these tubes with only 6 pins? The socket seems to have 8 pins but the tube has no 1 and 6 pin. One appears to be a sovtek and the other looks identical but don't see and markings on it. What's the deal? Help me out amp experts.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

6L6s and 5881s don't use pin 6 and only have pin 1 grounded to the tube outer shell if it's metal. If they've ever got those pins included, they're just dead pins.

FWIW, EL84s don't actually use pins 1, 6, or 8.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Fun story, I went to the a shop today to try out a Jet City JCA20HV because they had it on an awesome deal.

When I actually started playing the amp I couldn't get anything out of it outside of a weird hum if the volume was cranked.

When I looked at the back of it I saw that the guy plugged in the matching 16 ohm cabinet to one of the 8 ohm outputs. :cripes:

At least it wasn't my fault, plus it was probably a sign from god or whatever.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Schpyder posted:

6L6s and 5881s don't use pin 6 and only have pin 1 grounded to the tube outer shell if it's metal. If they've ever got those pins included, they're just dead pins.

FWIW, EL84s don't actually use pins 1, 6, or 8.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Wanted to be sure before I ordered new tubes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

Fun story, I went to the a shop today to try out a Jet City JCA20HV because they had it on an awesome deal.

When I actually started playing the amp I couldn't get anything out of it outside of a weird hum if the volume was cranked.

When I looked at the back of it I saw that the guy plugged in the matching 16 ohm cabinet to one of the 8 ohm outputs. :cripes:

At least it wasn't my fault, plus it was probably a sign from god or whatever.

I've contacted JC about their ratings before.

Direct from the horses mouth, they say you can run dual 16ohm cabinets into the dual 8ohm ports on the JCA22H.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Whelp, I have no idea what happened then.

Still you'd think a guy working at a music store would be careful about impedance matching.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

Whelp, I have no idea what happened then.

It was the tone gods telling you to go with the two channel version. ;)

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Would, but the store is clearing out their JC stuff and the 20HV and the 100HDM were the only things left, which is way too much amp for one bedroom.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 26, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Get a second bedroom, then.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

Get a second bedroom, then.

this

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a question about the Line 6 Spider III. A friend has one and is offering it to me; I'm not taking it, but it has a weird feature/bug/??? that makes no sense to me and I'd like an explanation of it.

The guitar volume knob doesn't do anything on it except allow me to cut the signal. 10 and 3 have the same output. My question is: why does it do that?

Broken pot, dirty pot or a bad solder connection the pot.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Someone in Illinois needs to go buy this Linden era Ampeg bass amp and cab for $165.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AMPEG-BT-15-BASS-AMPLIFIER-50-WATTS-Guitar-Speaker-/331305063096?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Yes, buy it and sell me the head for $165 because I bought a BT-15 cab for $60 last year.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Big thanks to you guys who gave me advice on clean amps. I'm back with a refined idea of what I was really looking for. The best tone I've ever pulled out of my equipment is my CV50s Tele with flatwounds into my Aguilar TH500 bass amp. It's the exact punchy, full bodied, clear sound I've been hearing in my head for a long time. Is there a guitar amp equivalent of that? If I could get an amp that gives me the Tone Hammer sound but slightly more guitar focused I would be in heaven. I could get a few dirt pedals in front for when I need to fart out some metal and be set for a long time.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Big thanks to you guys who gave me advice on clean amps. I'm back with a refined idea of what I was really looking for. The best tone I've ever pulled out of my equipment is my CV50s Tele with flatwounds into my Aguilar TH500 bass amp. It's the exact punchy, full bodied, clear sound I've been hearing in my head for a long time. Is there a guitar amp equivalent of that? If I could get an amp that gives me the Tone Hammer sound but slightly more guitar focused I would be in heaven. I could get a few dirt pedals in front for when I need to fart out some metal and be set for a long time.

The first thing that comes to mind would be a Hiwatt or something similar. A 50 or 100 watt head might be a bit overkill depending on your situation, though there are lower powered options with a similar flavor as well.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I am all about fender bassman/ ampeg v4 for clean tone, course I also like LOUD clean tone

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Didn't know if I should put this here or in the guitar thread, but I'm sure there's enough cross posters either way.

I'm finally getting around to making my amp cab, and I'm just not 100% clear on the role of resistance. I've got an Orange Micro Terror, which has a "Minimum 4 Ohm" rating on the back. That only refers to how low I can go in terms of total resistance, not what I should be trying to hit as a target for best sound? If I were to run with a 16 ohm speaker, would there be a sound difference vs an 8 ohm of the same model? I'm currently looking at a single speaker that I could reuse if I decide to go to a side by side when I stop living in an apartment, but I don't want it to sound awful if it's running solo.

Also, do you guys think a Warehouse Green Beret is a good match for the Micro Terror?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Here's a recent post of mine in the guitar megathread with a couple of links to guitar amp impedance guides.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

pointlessone posted:

Didn't know if I should put this here or in the guitar thread, but I'm sure there's enough cross posters either way.

I'm finally getting around to making my amp cab, and I'm just not 100% clear on the role of resistance. I've got an Orange Micro Terror, which has a "Minimum 4 Ohm" rating on the back. That only refers to how low I can go in terms of total resistance, not what I should be trying to hit as a target for best sound? If I were to run with a 16 ohm speaker, would there be a sound difference vs an 8 ohm of the same model? I'm currently looking at a single speaker that I could reuse if I decide to go to a side by side when I stop living in an apartment, but I don't want it to sound awful if it's running solo.

Also, do you guys think a Warehouse Green Beret is a good match for the Micro Terror?

In regards to the WGS Green Beret, I wouldn't recommend it. The Micro Terror (and Orange amps in general) is a darker amp with an emphasis on the lower-mids, while the Greenback is a mid-rounded guitar speaker; which tends to make it not as bass-y or as bright as you may or may not want.

But for some speakers also by them, my number one would be their Veteran, it has a more of an upper-mid emphasis which helps balance out the sound (plus Orange puts their inspiration, the Vintage 30, stock in their cabs and I don't think anybody complains about them). I also have a 212 cabinet with a Celestion Greenback and a G12H Anniversary and it sounds alright (though it could use a little more high-end); the greenback sounds a little dark, but I would highly reccommend the G12H; and it's WGS counterpart the Reaper.

Edit: Played my Micro through my cab again just now, and I can attest that a greenback makes it sound too dark and unfocused; but the G12H has clarity and good enough for what you'd want out of the Micro Terror. I'd still recommend a 'Vintage 30'-like; just so that you'll get the 'Orange' sound.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I like V30s in general and I think they really shine with Orange amps. WGS has a V30 equivalent (Veteran 30) with an evened out treble response but you might want to roll with their more faithful repro, the Retro 30. The upper-mid hump is really useful for cutting through a mix.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Since the concensus on the Bugera v22 is that it's kind of a lemon, what should I get instead?
I want a small tube-amp at around the same price with a nice fat clean tone. I don't need ultra high gain.

I sort of have my eye on the Laney Cub12R because it has a seperate 1W input for bedroom use.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Used Peavey Classic 30.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone have a Laney IRT studio? I'm looking for a high gain tube amp I can play at low, my wife wont divorce me, levels. I play mostly vst plugins but I've been craving an actual amp again.

If I absolutely have to go solid state the Yamaha THR10X looks really cool. Any experience with these?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

umalt posted:

I'd still recommend a 'Vintage 30'-like; just so that you'll get the 'Orange' sound.

Took your advice, finally got the Veteran 30 (it was backordered), sounds AMAZING! Thank you, it sounds so much better than the basic cab did.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Whale Cancer posted:

Anyone have a Laney IRT studio? I'm looking for a high gain tube amp I can play at low, my wife wont divorce me, levels. I play mostly vst plugins but I've been craving an actual amp again.

If I absolutely have to go solid state the Yamaha THR10X looks really cool. Any experience with these?

Yamaha THRs are loving rad and I'd recommend going with that.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

pointlessone posted:

Took your advice, finally got the Veteran 30 (it was backordered), sounds AMAZING! Thank you, it sounds so much better than the basic cab did.

Awesome to hear, if my favorite amps weren't all Voxes then I'd probably have one myself.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
veteran 30s rule

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I'm increasingly becoming dissatisfied with the speaker in my Princeton Reverb. I think is because I mainly use pedals for dirt and the speaker just breaks up too low and can sound shrill.

I'm looking for something warmer and more efficient but I don't want to drop $90 on a Weber.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

So I'm increasingly becoming dissatisfied with the speaker in my Princeton Reverb. I think is because I mainly use pedals for dirt and the speaker just breaks up too low and can sound shrill.

I'm looking for something warmer and more efficient but I don't want to drop $90 on a Weber.

I'd try the WGS G10C/S or the Veteran 10. The G10C is more efficient (the Veteran 10 is only 20 watts) but I like the way the Veteran 10 breaks up more.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
After lots of research the Eric Johnson Eminence EJ1250 is really the loudspeaker I've been needing to improve my Musicman 212 HD 130. My plan of winning the lottery to pay for a pair is right on track at the moment

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I really wish Axe-Fx wasn't four figures.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chalets the Baka posted:

I really wish Axe-Fx wasn't four figures.

Get a Mustang III, the poor man's awesome modeling amp. Seriously it cannot compete with an Axe but it unbelievably owns if you want affordable modeling++.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Get a Mustang III, the poor man's awesome modeling amp. Seriously it cannot compete with an Axe but it unbelievably owns if you want affordable modeling++.

Avid's 11 Rack, it's damned near the sound quality of the Axe without pitch effects (which is my primary bitch) and not as flexible wish the effects and routing, but if you're wanting a true, studio and gig quality emulation system, it's damned hard to beat for the money.

Every time I gigged my 11 Rack I had multiple people telling me they were glad I wasn't running 'that damned digital poo poo' (I always kept a tube setup onstage 'just in case' since it was new tech for me).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So if I were to pick up an 11r, should I use full range speakers for gigging?

(also iostream if you still have the 11r you should pm me)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Only if you give a poo poo about having a proper back line sort of setup, if your monitor situation is good just throw it straight into the PA and don't worry about an FRFR thing.

If you DO want a good monitor, the EV ELX are fantastic and can be had very inexpensively, the QSC K series are great but a little more.

If you're shopping them, remember to not look at the size in reference to a guitar cab, but rather what it IS, which is typically a PA main. One of my K12s easily keeps up with either of my other guitarists 4x12s for example (to the point I'm thinking of picking up some K8's at some point).

In my opinion, best value FRFR would be EV ELX112P, they're $600 new, but call into GC and ask what their best price is (you may have to say you found one used on CL but would rather have a warranty), they'll offer them to you for about $450 + tax w/free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm transitioning jobs, and long story short, I need to make some cash. I have my bass amp that I love, and I'm sure its worth something, but I'm not sure exactly what to ask for. It's a bit rare (Mesa Boogie Bass 400[not Plus]), so just looking at ebay ect isn't getting me anywhere. All my google-fu brings me prices for the Plus version. Is there a resource I can use to determine a fair price for it?