Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Pukechat 2014 should be required reading for teenagers the world over. Can't be bothered to put on a condom? BABIES BARF IN YOUR MOUTH!

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We were taking both our cars to Walmart to get routine maintenance done on both of them. Jasper had just polished off about an 8 oz bottle and was in the back of my husband's jeep. When we pull into the parking lot, my husband said he heard this noise like someone had dumped a gallon of water in the back seat. Jasper had puked all that formula all over himself, the car seat, the back of the car, etc. Of course this was one of the few times we neglected to bring a change of clothes. I had to go into walmart and buy a new outfit and take him into the bathroom with some wetwipes and do by best to clean him up while my husband tried to clean the back of his car with a jug of water I keep in my trunk and paper towels. It had a distinct old dairy smell for a while.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
My son seems to love barfing. Especially after he leaves the boob. He'll look at you, smile, and while he's smiling it'll slide out the corner of his mouth. He doesn't stop smiling either.

I like to pretend he knows exactly what he's doing and is getting a ton of enjoyment out of soiling every shirt i own.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

My son is now about 30 months old, and hasn't been regularly barfy for at least fifteen months if not longer, and I only took the spare shirt for myself out of the diaper bag about three months ago. I kept seeing it in there and saying, "I'm not really going to need this, am I?" and then saying, "But what if I'm wrong?" :ohdear:

Though I have to say, spat-up milk is not as horrifying as vomit after solid food, and my go-to incident to use to horrify future parents will probably always be Poosplosion At Thirty Thousand Feet. Just the title is usually enough :j:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sockmuppet posted:

Pukechat 2014 should be required reading for teenagers the world over. Can't be bothered to put on a condom? BABIES BARF IN YOUR MOUTH!

I came up with an idea, in the sleep deprived state of mind that only a newborn can bring that there should be a class in high school that kids get pared up with new parents. The parent calls the kid at 2 am when the baby is awake crying its brains out and requires the high school kid to experience it. The parent gets to fail the teen if they don't stay on the line and experience by proxy the horror of being up in the middle of the night with a hungry angry baby. Cure teen pregnancy forever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or just free over the counter birth control.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

greatn posted:

Or just free over the counter birth control.

Combo it. Call them up at 2am when your baby is crying. "DID YOU TAKE YOUR PILL TODAY!?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I would like to thank pukechat for my daughter puking today after I'm not sure how many months of inverse digestive flow sobriety.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What temp do folks keep their house at with newborns?

We've been keeping ours at about 73-75, but as I was setting up our baby monitor system (that has built in thermometers on the cams), the manual said the preferred temp for newborns was 61-68 degrees which seems ... a bit on the cold side.

Our kid seems fine with the temp so this isn't a worry post, but it got me wondering what other folks do.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

BonoMan posted:

We've been keeping ours at about 73-75, but as I was setting up our baby monitor system (that has built in thermometers on the cams), the manual said the preferred temp for newborns was 61-68 degrees which seems ... a bit on the cold side.

Our kid seems fine with the temp so this isn't a worry post, but it got me wondering what other folks do.

I couldn't have kept the temperature at 61 degrees when my son was born unless someone else was paying our electricity bill, because even in January we would have needed air conditioning to make the house that cool. (Even with the heat off I don't think I've seen the house ever get cooler than 64 in the seven years I've lived here.) We actually set our air conditioning at about the same place you do, and I just dressed the baby in very lightweight pajamas or onesies. As far as I can tell, he's fine, except he doesn't hate hot weather the way I do and doesn't understand why Mommy doesn't want to run around at the park when it's 95 degrees outside.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We generally keep it between 68-74. Toward the cooler end during winter and the warmer end during summer to save on gas/electric bills.

We adjust between warmer and cooler pajamas depending on the season.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

BonoMan posted:

In the winter, we keep the house at 68 during the day, 64 at night. All the bedrooms are upstairs, so it's a bit warmer than 64 up there. I would just put the kids in fleecy, footie jammies on a nice flannel sheet when they were tiny. During the summer, the air is set to 74, with the upstairs getting around 80, so they'd sleep in a onesie only.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

the preferred temp for newborns was 61-68 degrees which seems ... a bit on the cold side.
A/C in homes didn't exist en masse until the 1950's. So, outside of the wintertime, it was literally impossible to keep a child in a place of this temperature when my parents were born, and for all of human history before that.

I am a cheapskate, my daughter was born in the wintertime, we did run the heat more that winter, but it seldom reached 70F in my house. I kept her in fleece jammies.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
That's coming from fears of SIDS. They don't know everything about what causes SIDS, but being too warm is something that comes up as part of the circumstances.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001566.htm

This government site puts the guideline as "Make sure the room temperature is not too hot. The room temperature should be comfortable for a lightly clothed adult. A baby should not be hot to the touch."

But again, no one really has a definitive say on what causes SIDS or what factors are most important.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We kept our house a bit more on the cool side (during this summer). It's only a couple of months anyway so I chalk up the extra money as just part of the increased baby expenses.

Vomit chat: we initially tried switching nipples to the size 2 when the manufacturer suggested it (at about 1 month old) and, oh boy, was that an adventure. Projectile.

He's now 3 months and we're just starting to try the #2s again. It seems to be going well (will edit this message tonight when the pukening begins).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hepscat posted:

That's coming from fears of SIDS. They don't know everything about what causes SIDS, but being too warm is something that comes up as part of the circumstances.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001566.htm

This government site puts the guideline as "Make sure the room temperature is not too hot. The room temperature should be comfortable for a lightly clothed adult. A baby should not be hot to the touch."

But again, no one really has a definitive say on what causes SIDS or what factors are most important.

I seem to recall a few studies showing a very high correlation with second-hand smoke. I wish I could find a link. (Don't smoke: it's bad for you and your kids.)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I seem to recall a few studies showing a very high correlation with second-hand smoke. I wish I could find a link. (Don't smoke: it's bad for you and your kids.)

We've convinced an entire nation to force their kids to sleep on their back because of a risk factor that is within the margin of error. SIDS is still a mystery.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Poop chat: holding the younger twin yesterday and he gives me a look and then unleashes a massive poop that flew out the side of his diaper, spattering floor, brother, furniture, me, everything. Pretty impressive. Same boy the day before managed to get a perfect pee arc off the changing table and directly into his brother's face. Swaddled and asleep, brother just looked really confused until I toweled him off. Need to rearrange crib and changing table to make that more difficult.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Volmarias posted:

I would like to thank pukechat for my daughter puking today after I'm not sure how many months of inverse digestive flow sobriety.

This thread's a goddamn curse now. I was deriving a lot of amusement out of everyone's stories in this thread until earlier this evening. My 2.5-year-old managed to wedge himself in a corner between the portable A/C and the window and had a completely silent puke. My husband and I both have colds and can't smell a drat thing so there's no telling how long it would have taken us to find it if I hadn't happened to turn my head at just the right time and catch a glimpse of the multicolored barf arc out of the corner of my eye. He miraculously avoided getting any of it on his clothes, too.

He vomits somewhat regularly because he gags at EVERYTHING, though. When we brought the new baby home 6 months ago and the toddler would look at him up close? Gag. New baby spat up? Gag while refusing to look away. He got used to it for a while until we recently began feeding the baby solids. Now he gags when watching the baby eat in person AND on video.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Toot toot all aboard the baby train:

In other news Daniel is standing up on his own using support, pretty much on schedule given his real age is supposed to be 10 months now.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Briar is 25 months and while I'm happy we're over the baby spitting up phase, the other week I got my first intro to solid food barfing. She had just eaten dinner and had a huge glass of milk and I was laying on the couch. She was sitting behind my back and all of a sudden she starts petting me and saying 'mommy gross'. Confused, I sat up to find that she had silently stealth vomited all over my side, and I hadn't noticed because I was wearing enough layers that it didn't soak through right away.

Bonus fun: she was petting the barf on me and before I could stop her she immediately ran her hands through her hair. :/

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Connor just gets car sick, you'll be driving along and then hear a cough that turns watery and explosive and have to hope that you find somewhere to pull over before the vomit stench wafts to the front of the car.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Connor just gets car sick, you'll be driving along and then hear a cough that turns watery and explosive and have to hope that you find somewhere to pull over before the vomit stench wafts to the front of the car.

I'm glad my guys don't have that particular problem. I was surprised too because their mom gets queasy all the time. Sick smell in the car sucks.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

raaaan posted:

she was petting the barf

This just sums up the hilarious insanity that is small children, really.

My kid suddenly spiked a pretty high fever today, and, being a complete idiot, I googled meningitis. I read through the list of symptoms, and breathed a sigh of relief that she only had that one symptom - and then at the end it said: "Small children don't neccessarily have all the typical symptoms."
Thank you, now I feel SO MUCH BETTER :v:

I'm not too worried, but I do have the baby monitor next to me on the sofa with camera and sound turned on. If she hurls, I want to know about it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
When do babies start sleeping through the night? Molybdenite is 18mo and still waking up at 1am like clock work.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Molybdenum posted:

When do babies start sleeping through the night? Molybdenite is 18mo and still waking up at 1am like clock work.

ouch. Both of our boys were a lot earlier than that. Like 6-9 months they should be able to sleep through the night, at least in terms of not getting hungry overnight. I'd ask what your feeding schedule is like but at 18 months they should basically be eating what you eat/with you right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

Sydney at 18mo does too. I'm hoping it changes on its own, and we're just starting to move to later wakeups. Last night we only had a short 4am wakeup and then a 6a wakeup which was close enough to when we all get up for the day (6:30 ideally).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mines around 16 months, wakes up around that time about 50% of the time, but I basically go in and assure him we haven't gone anywhere, check his diaper to make sure it isn't bursting, and tell him he needs to go back to sleep. He generally will after about ten minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

greatn posted:

Mines around 16 months, wakes up around that time about 50% of the time, but I basically go in and assure him we haven't gone anywhere, check his diaper to make sure it isn't bursting, and tell him he needs to go back to sleep. He generally will after about ten minutes.

Yeah, Sydney's wakeups are very quick (less than 10 minutes usually). Drink of water and some cuddling and she's right back down. 6am and later though, she's up for the day.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

He's now 3 months and we're just starting to try the #2s again. It seems to be going well (will edit this message tonight when the pukening begins).

Of course I jinxed it. He's might've caught a small bug because he's spitting up a bit after every feeding even after we switched back to the #1 size nipples. Ugh.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

It's just the luck of the draw I think. I had three boys that slept through the night from 6 weeks, then my daughter who is 18 months and still waking up a few times most nights (as in maybe once a month she might sleep from midnight to 6am but usually it's waking up between 11pm and 1am, then again between 3am and 4am). She's less likely to wake up if she's in bed with us but that's not ideal either as she throws herself round and kicks the covers off all night.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

At 22 months, Jasper has gained the ability to be scared of things. He use to be fearless about everything and now the dark scares him, certain Muppet videos he use to like scares him, some of his toys scare him, and he has night terrors now! He was good about sleeping through the night, but for the past week or so he'll wake up freaking the gently caress out and it takes a while before he'll calm down and he has to sleep in our bed. Suggestions on things to help him not be scared of stuff? We were at Michaels yesterday and they had some Halloween decorations out and I was showing him the grim reapers aren't scary and they're really fun and like to give high fives. He seemed to like that. I got a few odd looks.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Alterian posted:

At 22 months, Jasper has gained the ability to be scared of things. He use to be fearless about everything and now the dark scares him, certain Muppet videos he use to like scares him, some of his toys scare him, and he has night terrors now! He was good about sleeping through the night, but for the past week or so he'll wake up freaking the gently caress out and it takes a while before he'll calm down and he has to sleep in our bed. Suggestions on things to help him not be scared of stuff? We were at Michaels yesterday and they had some Halloween decorations out and I was showing him the grim reapers aren't scary and they're really fun and like to give high fives. He seemed to like that. I got a few odd looks.

My son's preschool teacher said that's pretty normal for that age. She recommended the book "Go Away, Big Green Monster" to help teach them that they have control over their imaginations if they think about something scary.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
My daughter is getting too large for her car seat. She is 11 months old and is about a half inch shy of the recommended height maximum for her current seat. I'd prefer a rear facing seat that is convertible - that is to say I hope to not buy more car seats after this. Anyone have recommendations?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Grifter posted:

My daughter is getting too large for her car seat. She is 11 months old and is about a half inch shy of the recommended height maximum for her current seat. I'd prefer a rear facing seat that is convertible - that is to say I hope to not buy more car seats after this. Anyone have recommendations?

Evenflo Triumph. The easy to tighten/release for the belts is a godsend for getting rugrats in and out. Especially this time of year in PA. Its 80 degrees, tighten the stupid belts up since they don't have a jacket. Oh its 45 degrees in the morning, loosen everything up! We have a graco seat that is more basic, and its a pain in the rear end.

http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Trium...evenflo+triumph

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think Graco is Italian for "lovely non-working buckles and clasps." Seriously that can be some staggeringly poorly made stuff. Not one single item we have doesn't have trouble with the buckles/harnesses. Ugh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I think Graco is Italian for "lovely non-working buckles and clasps." Seriously that can be some staggeringly poorly made stuff. Not one single item we have doesn't have trouble with the buckles/harnesses. Ugh.

It also apparently means 'the worst wheels ever attached to a stroller' if my brother in law who works for a Graco distributor is to be believed. Our Graco Snugride carrier was pretty good though, buckle-wise.

Grifter posted:

We switched from that Graco to this Diono thing and it works well. We never used it in the rear-facing configuration and I was really skeptical of Sydney's ability to sleep in it, but she can and does pass out in it like a champ.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2014

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
We have the Diono RXT also and rear facing. Get the angle adjuster if you're in a smallish vehicle. It's tall so as a rear facer takes a lot of front to back room. Side to side though it's tiny.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Our 20 month old still cannot consistently fall asleep without being rocked. Unfortunately it is taking longer and longer and becoming more and more uncomfortable as he is continuing to grow. It is also getting much harder to get him fro the rocking chair to his crib without waking him, I assume because his nervous system is developing. Between bedtime, his usual waking up at 3:30-4am, and his nap, I am spending 4-6 hours a day rocking him in his chair, time when I think he should be sleeping. He only sleeps about 7-8 hours a night and typically takes a 1.5-2 hour nap. If you put him in his crib at anything less than 100% asleep he stands up and cries until you rock him. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Man, I think we're proving that talking. Bout your kids not barfing baits it. My younger guy just lost both of his lunch and breakfast all over my shirt, the carpet, and his clothes. I had to immediately leave after cleanup to take my older guy to skating so I can still smell the barf on me. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee