Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Facility is still the gold standard for that.

Completely forgot the facility, you're right. My vote changes.

Speaking of, I've always thought that there shouldn't be a dead end in that map. That door in the room with the armour should either open to a room connecting back through to one of the big side rooms, or should somehow lead back to the back stairwell, behind the bathroom. There's a CS:GO map that sort of does this, but of course, the shortcut is poorly thought out and is barren, devoid of any set dressing that helps sell people on the location / setting.

Speaking of Duke vs Doom maps, Doom's E1M1, while great for sp/dm really doesn't make any logical sense. It's a base? A lab?

No it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, I've always thought that there shouldn't be a dead end in that map. That door in the room with the armour should either open to a room connecting back through to one of the big side rooms, or should somehow lead back to the back stairwell, behind the bathroom.
The reason it's a dead-end is it's the exact same map data as the single player mission because multiplayer was more or less hacked on at the last minute without Nintendo's knowledge or permission. Behind the back door is the entire rest of the level, unused. :haw:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Amazing how a last-minute addition sneaked into the game turned out to be an enormous system seller and revolutionised multiplayer console gaming altogether!

I wish I'd had a Gameshark or something back then to take advantage of the rest of the facility level.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

unpacked robinhood posted:

The maps feel warmer :v:

That's actually CRT radiation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

I wish I'd had a Gameshark or something back then to take advantage of the rest of the facility level.

Goldeneye was THE reason to own a Gameshark (it's why I did), but trust me; you weren't missing much.

I remember getting so excited to play the full level, but you know what? The rest of the map doesn't work very well as a multiplayer level. It really needs to be either small, circular (with that shortcut I mentioned before), or both. The full level is none of those things. What really killed it was the fact that, beyond that door, there are no spawn points for players or ammo/guns, so everyone comes from the 'original' level, which is also the only place you can get any weapons. It was neat for maybe 30 minutes.

Another thing I tried was multiplayer on 'Cradle'. Yeah, no. Even if the framerate had been able to keep up, it was still not fun at all. Sniping from across the level is fun until that's all everyone does.

EDIT: I love mapchat :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goldeneye was THE reason to own a Gameshark (it's why I did), but trust me; you weren't missing much.

The only thing I ever got out of Gameshark was making Mario's right foot like three times the size of the rest of his body.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks for yet another illuminating post, Fishmech.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Now that Going Down is finished I plan on starting it from the beginning using pistol starts and no quicksaves.

Pistol starting in ZDoom is a loving pain in the rear end. First I just had a quick kill bind key to refresh myself, but respawning always sends me back to the most recent save (the level-start Autosave with all my weapons). So I disabled Autosaves just to find that respawning sends you to the most recent save no matter how many maps ago it was. There doesn't seem to be a way to restore the vanilla behavior of pistolstarting the map when you die. Or am I missing something?

It's an easy fix, as I just have to enter MAP MAPXX in the console, but you'd think there'd be an option for it :shrug:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Someone made a WAD to fix it, or you can make an ACS script to do the same thing.

Supposedly disabling autosaves and emptying your save directory will also work, but it's a lot more effort.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It really annoys me that reloading the last save is default behavior in zdoom. Game is infinitely better when you restart the level upon death.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Speaking of, I've always thought that there shouldn't be a dead end in that map. That door in the room with the armour should either open to a room connecting back through to one of the big side rooms, or should somehow lead back to the back stairwell, behind the bathroom. There's a CS:GO map that sort of does this, but of course, the shortcut is poorly thought out and is barren, devoid of any set dressing that helps sell people on the location / setting.

The Perfect Dark version, Felicity, adds a few neat things... but still doesn't touch that door. :v: The bathroom vents now go all over the place.

Fishmech posted:

:fishmech:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Another thing I tried was multiplayer on 'Cradle'. Yeah, no. Even if the framerate had been able to keep up, it was still not fun at all. Sniping from across the level is fun until that's all everyone does.

As I understand, Statue Park also has a multiplayer setup defined, but it's not accessible without a Gameshark for the same reasons as Cradle - it's a bit big and overly buggy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's how to pistol-start in prBoom+/glBoom: hit "home" when the level starts

glBoom owns

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I just type IDCLEVxx when I beat a level and zdoom lets me pistol start every time I die afterwards. :shrug:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

here's how to pistol-start in prBoom+/glBoom: hit "home" when the level starts

glBoom owns

That's basically what that wad does, it has a toggle that makes you start with a pistol and auto restart with a pistol. It's kinda weird that it's not a built in gameplay option.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Thanks for yet another illuminating post, Fishmech.

To actually expand that into a non-useless answer, it depends on what you mean by "realistic".

If you mean "levels that are modeled after, or at least inspired by, real-world places", I haven't played any that predate Duke, but there's a lot of pre-Duke FPSes I know nothing about. If it wasn't the first, it was probably at least the first to do so with that level of detail.

If you mean "levels that try to be actual locations in which an FPS is set, with an in-universe justification for their design, rather than abstract video game levels designed for FPS gameplay", there's a shitload, with varying degrees of success. Off the top of my head, Marathon 1 and 2 had levels running the gamut from "video game level" (Arrival) to "actual place full of hostile aliens" (G4 Sunbathing, The Hard Stuff Rules). Dark Forces did alright in places, as did System Shock. None of these are super consistent about it - it's pretty hard to explain how, say, Couch Fishing could exist outside a video game, or why there are no toilets on Citadel Station (maybe SHODAN harvested them for raw materials?), but then, Duke has its fair share of "why would anyone build this" levels too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

The Perfect Dark version, Felicity, adds a few neat things... but still doesn't touch that door. :v: The bathroom vents now go all over the place.

Oh, the Perfect Dark version is my preferred version. The vents are nice, but they don't go too far. They just remove the bathroom as a dead-end, allowing a back way out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think I am the only person in the world that loooooved Goldeneye but did not care for Perfect Dark at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think I am the only person in the world that loooooved Goldeneye but did not care for Perfect Dark at all.

That's a shame, because it's pretty much a sci-fi Goldeneye.

What did you think of TimeSplitters?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm the same, but I didn't play perfect dark until so much later that it was probably my own fault. (Or my parents for not buying me more vidjagames! :argh:)

That's a shame, because it's pretty much a sci-fi Goldeneye.

Timesplitters is THE poo poo.

More videogames need to include a piss-easy level editor. I had SO much fun with that as a kid. Halo has forge, but its limited (and wasn't in the first few halo games) portal has a great editor now, but for most FPS games to make your own levels you've gotta learn a complicated editor program that isn't by any means straightforward.

IMO Timesplitters 2 is the best pre-halo console FPS. The levels were so wildly different and fun, and all the characters and weapons created endless variety.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Perfect Dark :allears: I never really got into Goldeneye but I loved PD and played it to death.

I remember reading years ago about a plan some modders had to port it to PC (using the Source engine, I think?) -- did anything ever come of that? Perfect Dark with mouselook and without crippling slowdown would be fantastic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

IMO Timesplitters 2 is the best pre-halo console FPS. The levels were so wildly different and fun, and all the characters and weapons created endless variety.

Timesplitters 2 is the best post-Halo console FPS too. :colbert:

(I actually liked Future Perfect more.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Perfect Dark :allears: I never really got into Goldeneye but I loved PD and played it to death.

I remember reading years ago about a plan some modders had to port it to PC (using the Source engine, I think?) -- did anything ever come of that? Perfect Dark with mouselook and without crippling slowdown would be fantastic.

Just FYI, Perfect Dark on XBLA fixes the main two problems of the N64 version; slowdown and no online multiplayer. It's 'perfect' :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just FYI, Perfect Dark on XBLA fixes the main two problems of the N64 version; slowdown and no online multiplayer. It's 'perfect' :allears:

Sadly, AFAIK they have no plans to port this to PC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I mean, I liked it and all, but I don't remember anything about it. Something about Goldeneye was just the perfect storm of a game for me. I got every cheat except dual lasers and dual RCP-90s, and I managed to get Dual Lasers on someone else's cartridge on accident. Dual RCP-90s I could never do though, it was too hard, you had to beat the Caverns on 00 Agent really fast. It's weird that I can even remember that so specifically. Everything was just so bizarrely designed and had just the right level of jank. I feel like Perfect Dark was almost too polished. They added in a complex (for an N64 game) plot with fully voiced characters. Levels that made more sense, and clearer objectives. Something was lost in the translation.

Goldeneye: Source is a thing, so I think someone agrees with me. There's no Perfect Dark source after all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Sadly, AFAIK they have no plans to port this to PC.

Still, it's the best version so far.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

More videogames need to include a piss-easy level editor. I had SO much fun with that as a kid. Halo has forge, but its limited (and wasn't in the first few halo games) portal has a great editor now, but for most FPS games to make your own levels you've gotta learn a complicated editor program that isn't by any means straightforward.

I don't know about Halo 4, but I know in Reach me and a few friends made some super complicated maps out of it's bits. It can be a bit fiddly, but if you have the patience to minecraft together a level you can make some really impressive stuff.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I remember unlocking dual RCP-90s. The final run was amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't know about Halo 4, but I know in Reach me and a few friends made some super complicated maps out of it's bits. It can be a bit fiddly, but if you have the patience to minecraft together a level you can make some really impressive stuff.

Yeah forge is pretty great and gave us things like griffball arenas, but you were limited to using the prebuilt forge worlds and just moving around walls and doodads. Timesplitters took it even further, as does Portal 2.

If you haven't played with Portal 2's children level editor (you can make levels in hammer or whatever too) you owe it to yourself to check it out for a few minutes. Its fantastic.

They nailed the ability to drag-and-drop map elements like you're building a house in The Sims, and then they also nailed the ability to click a button and hop right into your level, test it out, then go back and change things, hop back in, and iterate. It does all the level and light compilation for you automatically. That's not unheard of, Unreal Editor does similar things, but its really nice. Seriously, its easy enough for children to use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I remember getting so excited to play the full level, but you know what? The rest of the map doesn't work very well as a multiplayer level. It really needs to be either small, circular (with that shortcut I mentioned before), or both. The full level is none of those things. What really killed it was the fact that, beyond that door, there are no spawn points for players or ammo/guns, so everyone comes from the 'original' level, which is also the only place you can get any weapons. It was neat for maybe 30 minutes.

Dude, you can get weapon and other spawns in the full level with a GameShark. You basically need to use the later versions of the GameShark, the ones that have a parallel port in the back of the cartridge for communicating with a computer; because they let you easily handle dumping in the thousands of lines of codes necessary to do so without wanting to commit suicide due to entry by way of N64 controller.

Here's two of my old N64 GameShark code lists, they include a bunch of codesets for things like re-purposing single player levels with complete spawn locations (like the Runway, Bunker time period 1, the rest of Facility both as seperate area from the regular Facility and as one whole map from the tank room to the bathroom, the Dam, etc):

http://fishmech.net/My%20Gameshark%20Codes%20Jan%202005.txt
http://fishmech.net/MyCodes2.txt

You can probably also put these into N64 emulators? Not quite sure how, but they're formatted so that either the official GameShark utilities for Windows 95/98 or Game Software Code Creator (GSCC) for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP can use them (downloads available from http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=810.0).

Incidentally the GSCC software also supports taking screenshots of live N64 gameplay (it copies the graphics RAM to the GameShark onboard storage to immediately send over the parallel port) and dumping ROMs of any N64 game you have (there's simply a button that copies the ROM and saves on cartridge over the parallel port).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I remember unlocking dual RCP-90s. The final run was amazing.

:worship: You are a greater man than I

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

That's the first time I've seen the Portal editor, that looks super great! I like the kinda in-universe art style and presentation too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is that Portal 2 editor available for Mac? (edit: Yes, it is!) Holy poo poo!

Also, the one thing I hated about Forge was that no matter what, the levels all looked the same. Every single piece you used was the same blue-grey metallic colour, which drove me nuts after about 2 maps. Is that silly? I mean, you COULD do so much with it, but good god, it was ugly as poo poo. Until then, I never thought that sort of thing mattered to me, but I guess it does.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

That's the first time I've seen the Portal editor, that looks super great! I like the kinda in-universe art style and presentation too.

Yeah, the editor is loving fantastic and seriously you guys all need to play with it.

Also I love the in-universe explanation!
Here's the video, complete with Cave Johnson voiceover if you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7rZO2ACP3A

I wish I had a Doom editor that was half as slick.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

One of the best in-game level editors would have to be the one for the console-exclusive Far Cry games for the XBOX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-dGjxeeeoc

It was only really suitable for outdoor areas, but it was still incredibly flexible. You could make some fantastic stuff with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I made some incredibly stupid maps with the Far Cry xbox editor. Loved that thing.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
If they remade Timesplitters in HD with characters, weapons and levels from all three games, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

One of the best in-game level editors would have to be the one for the console-exclusive Far Cry games for the XBOX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-dGjxeeeoc

It was only really suitable for outdoor areas, but it was still incredibly flexible. You could make some fantastic stuff with it.

Farcry 3 also has a pretty good editor, yeah.

And Crysis lets multiple people hang out in a live level while somebody is editing it, that's pretty nuts. I think farcry too?
And the latest IdTech editor lets you do that as well. (Although IdTech should be pretty dead, now... :smith:)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

And Crysis lets multiple people hang out in a live level while somebody is editing it, that's pretty nuts. I think farcry too?

You can do that in Forge too. Halo 3 (or one of its DLC packs) even had an achievement for killing someone with the editing tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

look at these scrubs, Mapster32 4 life :colbert: