Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Munin posted:

About leaving behind childish things one of my favourite quote is from German children's author Erich Kästner:

"Nur wer erwachsen wird und ein Kind bleibt, ist ein Mensch."

Roughly translated:

"Only those who grow up and remain kids are human."

Annoyingly it comes across as rather harsh in English. :(
I really understand this quote actually, that doesn't sound harsh to me at all :) we can't leave our childhoods behind because that's where we come from, for better or worse they must remain a part of us, part of our whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Today I get to either impress everyone and/or embarass myself with my pronunciation of Arabic and Persian words.

Handouts:

None at all for once.

Known misses: No known unknowns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love how in the year 2000 people readily thought gas being at $4 a gallon was a sign of a complete economic collapse. To be fair, this was because at that time, gas was only about $1.15 a gallon. At the time I first played Deus Ex fully (and subsequently got to this part of the game), I was working at a gas station in the summer where gas frequently hit the $4/gallon mark or higher. Granted this was just before the 2007-2008 financial crisis, but still I found it interesting how in 10 years we went from "gas being this much would be catastrophic" to just grumbling about the price of gas.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 29, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I would also argue that a tertiary aim of terrorism is to increase radicalism, so as to invite punitive measures not against the exact perpetrators of the terrorist act/s, but to have these measures taken out against people perceived as being aligned with them, regardless as to whether or not these people are, so as to precipitate an increase in 'us vs. them' as well as increase people sympathising with them, not becasue of what they did, but becasue their 'enemy' is striking against many other people who weren't involved. Though that does tie in to a lot regarding politics and media.

Edit - also, I thought Twelvers in Iran had twelve imams, but that the last one didn't die and is supposed to return as some kind of messianic figure? And that imam is not the Mahdi?

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014
I have to thank you for this amazing LP you're doing~ As a long time lurker, your LP was the one what made me finally create this account. Thank you so much, Bobbin Threadbare. You are an amazing LPer and I salute you!
Keep on bringing this LP goodness from one of the best games ever! Keep up the good work. :golfclap:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samovar posted:

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I would also argue that a tertiary aim of terrorism is to increase radicalism, so as to invite punitive measures not against the exact perpetrators of the terrorist act/s, but to have these measures taken out against people perceived as being aligned with them, regardless as to whether or not these people are, so as to precipitate an increase in 'us vs. them' as well as increase people sympathising with them, not becasue of what they did, but becasue their 'enemy' is striking against many other people who weren't involved. Though that does tie in to a lot regarding politics and media.

Edit - also, I thought Twelvers in Iran had twelve imams, but that the last one didn't die and is supposed to return as some kind of messianic figure? And that imam is not the Mahdi?

That's basically what I was getting at by saying that one goal of terrorism is to eliminate the possibility of coexistence.

I can't quite recall if the twelfth imam was a real person initially, but when I was looking up depictions of the twelve imams the last one's face is always blurred out, and there is definitely a belief that he will return from occultation and bring about the promised Islamic world. Wikipedia says he's the Twelver Mahdi, and I believe the book I used as research said so as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I love the hosed up way Helios says "Universe Costruck-T-OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREE". That's my poo poo right there.

Oh yeah, one of the folk from Insert Quarter-Bin, related to Retronauts, made a Sin City based poster for Deus Ex.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Waterboard all the terrorists :911:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A Conspiracy Corner on the history of the Assassin Order and the nature of global terrorism is so my poo poo.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JT Jag posted:

A Conspiracy Corner on the history of the Assassin Order and the nature of global terrorism is so my poo poo.

That it actually debunks modern myths about the Order is the best bit. I mean, I enjoy the Creed games as much as the next person, but they weren't nice guys in the least. Especially if reports about things like "killed a relative for playing an instrument" are true.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

evilmiera posted:

That it actually debunks modern myths about the Order is the best bit. I mean, I enjoy the Creed games as much as the next person, but they weren't nice guys in the least. Especially if reports about things like "killed a relative for playing an instrument" are true.
There are definitely some significant undertones throughout the Assassin's Creed series that both the Templars and Assassins are extremists. Each has good points, but they have such far-out stances, total liberty even if it means total chaos versus total safety even if means no liberty, that neither side can really be considered the "good guy." We just happen to be seeing things from the perspective of the Assassins, so they're more sympathetic by default. Hell, the best protagonist in the entire series, Edward Kenway, is a loving pirate who for the vast majority of the game straight up ignores the Assassins versus Templars metaplot in favor of "get rich, gently caress bitches."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

There are definitely some significant undertones throughout the Assassin's Creed series that both the Templars and Assassins are extremists. Each has good points, but they have such far-out stances, total liberty even if it means total chaos versus total safety even if means no liberty, that neither side can really be considered the "good guy." We just happen to be seeing things from the perspective of the Assassins, so they're more sympathetic by default. Hell, the best protagonist in the entire series, Edward Kenway, is a loving pirate who for the vast majority of the game straight up ignores the Assassins versus Templars metaplot in favor of "get rich, gently caress bitches."

His story is also a remarkably faithful adaptation of the old addiction plotline. Just replace "booze" (or gambling, or hard drugs) with "pirating" and "finding God" with "finding the Assassins" and there you go.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

His story is also a remarkably faithful adaptation of the old addiction plotline. Just replace "booze" (or gambling, or hard drugs) with "pirating" and "finding God" with "finding the Assassins" and there you go.

How do you have pirating without booze? I reject your premise as unworkable. :colbert:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I rather enjoyed the special message at the end. :golfclap:

And I definitely enjoyed the topic as well. I'm glad to see you'll take on just about anything without much fear of what it could spark. And despite most of the potentially very inflammatory subject matter, there hasn't been much in the way of issue in the thread. I personally just try to keep my head down day to day and end up ignoring a lot of the subjects brought up here. It's very enlightening and entertaining to see the corners and discussions that happen.

I think I'm going to be sad most of all for the lectures to end once you run out game to play.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can I just say again what a fantastic let's play this is? I don't watch much of them, but it's really nice to be able to watch this series and not have some sort of over the top CRAZY WACKY GUY WOHHHH commenting all over everything every two seconds and screaming their face off.

Also, all the additional work you put in with the corners and stuff.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

OAquinas posted:

How do you have pirating without booze? I reject your premise as unworkable. :colbert:

Now, now, I never said there was no booze, it's just that Kenway is a piratholic, not an alcoholic. Also, instead of learning to let go of his cravings and have faith in Jesus, Kenway learns to let go of his pillaging and have faith in murdering people.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Munin posted:

Annoyingly it comes across as rather harsh in English. :(

Most German things do, really. "Ich liebe dich" sounds like an ultimatum with all but the most soft-petaled spoken delivery.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Now, now, I never said there was no booze, it's just that Kenway is a piratholic, not an alcoholic. Also, instead of learning to let go of his cravings and have faith in Jesus, Kenway learns to let go of his pillaging and have faith in murdering people.

1. We admitted that we were powerless over piracy; that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Mayan dude in a hood issuing murder orders could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of a bunch of crazy terrorists as we understood them.
4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of the crazy number of weapons that we carried with us at all times and made a token effort to hide in plain sight despite them.
5. Admitted to our targets, to the player, and to anybody observing us from the framing device in the future the exact nature of our killings.
6. Were entirely ready to be penalized by desynchronization when we fell off of poo poo for the seventeenth time.
7. Humbly asked the player to try again with less failure this time.
8. Made a list of all persons who we needed to harm, and became willing to harm them all.
9. Murdered all such people directly wherever possible, except when to do so would involve putting our blade to the flesh of innocents.
10. Continued to take inventory of our weapons as we started being allowed to use them again.
11. Sought through dead drops and surreptitious conversation to improve our correspondence with the assassin's order as we understood it, asking only that we avoid compromising our brothers.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry swift death to our targets, and to practice the Creed in all our affairs, especially the murder-related ones.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think there was another item in that truck with the huge crates. That is why you were blocked from going all the way in.
It seems that knocking Sandra out at the 'ton counts as a kill, since she didn't appear.

This is a great little map. Full of secrets and areas to attack from. Going in from the roof is a crapshoot in stealth. I went in cloaked and half the time, the guards immediately went for the kill. It is also a very bad idea to talk if there are still enemies around, since they seem to all home in and do their cutscene dance before shooting you.

As an aside: It seems the cost of gas is finally starting to drop in a more meaningful way, through a reduction on importing foreign oil. Normally, the price would rise when anyone mentions the Middle East for any reason, like the attacks on ISIS. Hopefully, it keeps going for the rest of the century, both of them.

If you are checking out the Assassin's Creed LP for a closer look on the assassins, the gameplay is the least interesting thing.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 30, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know this is dumb nitpicking, but hasn't it only been like 2-3 days since New York? How did Sandra hitchhike 3000 miles in that time? It is cool that she shows up again like that though.

Were you planning on showing us the dialog that happens if the hostage dies? I don't think I've ever seen it actually.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know this is dumb nitpicking, but hasn't it only been like 2-3 days since New York? How did Sandra hitchhike 3000 miles in that time? It is cool that she shows up again like that though.

She got a ride on a passing SR-71.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

As an aside: It seems the cost of gas is finally starting to drop in a more meaningful way, through a reduction on importing foreign oil. Normally, the price would rise when anyone mentions the Middle East for any reason, like the attacks on ISIS. Hopefully, it keeps going for the rest of the century, both of them.

Hyperbolic price shocks in oil were mostly driven by speculation by people with amounts of money that are only theoretically possible for humans to imagine. The global (but predominately American) decision to declare a war on the firmament with fracking has done a lot to make speculating on oil fairly pointless--we all know supply is guaranteed one way or another. That's pretty cool until you get to the part where the ecological toll of a century of hydrocarbon use is increased exponentially in the next century as those hydrocarbons are used to spread capital into a global layer of what a Senegalese goatherd would consider "wealth".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Most German things do, really. "Ich liebe dich" sounds like an ultimatum with all but the most soft-petaled spoken delivery.

The only lyrics for this jaunty tune is "Love is the greatest power of all". As in you could sum up Hamtaro HamHam Heartbreak with this.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I seem to recall that the mongols may not have been the total cause of the destruction of the Hashashin order and that a good number of them fled into Europe, to Lithuania I think. And they were then subsequently purged by Inquisitors.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Willie Tomg posted:

That's pretty cool until you get to the part where the ecological toll of a century of hydrocarbon use is increased exponentially in the next century as those hydrocarbons are used to spread capital into a global layer of what a Senegalese goatherd would consider "wealth".

What is this supposed to mean? I'm thinking a goatherd probably regards goats as wealth, so... hydrocarbons are used to spread capital into a global layer of goats? :shrug: That's sweet as hell to imagine, but I'm pretty sure it's not what you actually meant to follow a warning about rising environmental costs with.

Edit: Mods, please change my name to "A Global Layer of Goats" and I will begin work on a suitable avatar of infinite goats covering the earth.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 30, 2014

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

What is this supposed to mean? I'm thinking a goatherd probably regards goats as wealth, so... hydrocarbons are used to spread capital into a global layer of goats? :shrug: That's sweet as hell to imagine, but I'm pretty sure it's not what you actually meant to follow a warning about rising environmental costs with.

Nah, I don't think so, more wealth/goats would mean less food for all the other goats, and, well, they're GOATS. The only things they care about are food and being the highest goat in the tower. You cover the earth in goats, and where are they going to put their goat towers? Don't deny them their greatest joy.

Unless he meant a goatherdER thinking goats are wealth, but that raises the problem of supply and demand. Billions and billions of goats would let everyone have their own herd.

I can only imagine chrome-plating the entire earth into a reflective sheen, and letting the goats eat like kings, instead of little peasant goats eating tin cans? Wait, if goats actually do eat everything, and that's not just an exaggeration, maybe he meant covering the earth in oil from spills and pipe breaks, and the goatherd and goatherder get rich by eating/being paid to rent out their goats respectively in order to clean up the mess?

I'm probably over thinking this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Willie Tomg posted:

Hyperbolic price shocks in oil were mostly driven by speculation by people with amounts of money that are only theoretically possible for humans to imagine. The global (but predominately American) decision to declare a war on the firmament with fracking has done a lot to make speculating on oil fairly pointless--we all know supply is guaranteed one way or another. That's pretty cool until you get to the part where the ecological toll of a century of hydrocarbon use is increased exponentially in the next century as those hydrocarbons are used to spread capital into a global layer of what a Senegalese goatherd would consider "wealth".

:whoptc:

This statement is the sort of thing that would get you hung up on on Coast to Coast AM for being too crazy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

counterfeitsaint posted:

:whoptc:

This statement is the sort of thing that would get you hung up on on Coast to Coast AM for being too crazy.

Right up there with that time Dan Quinn called in to Alex Jones' show.

On a related note, I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a conspiracy corner on artificial sweeteners in general. poo poo's like a conspiracy person lightning rod of GMO/WTO/Illuminati insanity.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 30, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

RZApublican posted:

On a related note, I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a conspiracy corner on artificial sweeteners in general. poo poo's like a conspiracy person lightning rod of GMO/WTO/Illuminati insanity.

We've still got plenty of lectures to go.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RZApublican posted:

There really is no way that this series is going to be an exhaustive list of all the types of :tinfoil: out there. And as much as I like the conspiracy bits, I'm much more interested in the history/science/literature bits. (roughly in that order)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zeniel posted:

I seem to recall that the mongols may not have been the total cause of the destruction of the Hashashin order and that a good number of them fled into Europe, to Lithuania I think. And they were then subsequently purged by Inquisitors.

And we all know who they worked for! :tinfoil:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think there was another item in that truck with the huge crates. That is why you were blocked from going all the way in.
It seems that knocking Sandra out at the 'ton counts as a kill, since she didn't appear.

I double checked the trailer, but the only secret item is that silencer I found. I even tossed the crates outside to be certain, but nothing new appeared.

Incidentally, it turns out that you can use the big crate to jump over the side of the junkyard fence you aren't supposed to access. Nothing over there aside from an invisible wall at the edge of the world, though.

RZApublican posted:

Sorry, but I don't believe Deus Ex refers to aspartame at any point.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I did not realize those pipes were climbable, and never use the sewer. I basically always approach from behind the gas station with the dogs being the first threat I see. I think I just double back to the start and run up? I'd have to replay to see how I do it but it isn't particularly esoteric I think.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Tiny little detail, but it's possible to destroy the gas tanks outside the station. This'll cause the overhang to collapse and kill whoever's standing beneath it. Useful trick if you go in guns blazing. :black101:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sorry, but I don't believe Deus Ex refers to aspartame at any point.

It's just hidden very well. Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which causes phenylketonuria*, an enzyme deficiency. Those people are dumping poison into their bodies!

The hidden crate on this level is one of the few things I did know about, but I never realized you could make the jump up on the highway.

I also wonder if Sandra is heading to Oregon and took a wrong turn at Kansas City, or if there's some guy named Eugene she's after.

*can't help myself from not spreading misinformation just in case someone misses it. Phenylketonuria is a heritable condition; phenylalanine is very dangerous for those who have it, not so much for the rest of us.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kangra posted:

I also wonder if Sandra is heading to Oregon and took a wrong turn at Kansas City, or if there's some guy named Eugene she's after.

*can't help myself from not spreading misinformation just in case someone misses it. Phenylketonuria is a heritable condition; phenylalanine is very dangerous for those who have it, not so much for the rest of us.

I imagine she probably hitchhiked, and the best she could do was people heading generally west-bound.

genola
Apr 7, 2011
You know, I just realized, for this entire game about conspiracy, the big :siren: CIA :siren: seems to show up surprisingly little.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

There's a bunch of mod missions for DX called "Zodiac" that -sorta- deals with the CIA. A bit. It's pretty decent.

Uh, are we allowed to talk about DX mods, actually? Dunno if that's ever come up in this thread.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Erwin the German posted:

There's a bunch of mod missions for DX called "Zodiac" that -sorta- deals with the CIA. A bit. It's pretty decent.

Uh, are we allowed to talk about DX mods, actually? Dunno if that's ever come up in this thread.

It has, and go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Right, well, Zodiac is a pretty decent bunch of missions featuring Paul as the protagonist, which earns him his own pair of sunglasses, apparently. It deals pretty heavily with some of the crazier conspiracy theories that Deus Ex only mildly alludes to like ancient aliens. The CIA also gets a lot of screen time early on, so it satisfies that itch as well.

Only issue is that the mission areas tend to be too sprawling, so you'll end up doing a lot of running around, but I enjoyed it a lot overall. Writing isn't too terrible, either, for what it's worth.

• Locked thread