Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Remora posted:

Hey, quick Pact question - how long does it take to get good? I tried reading the first few chapters awhile ago and now I'm gonna give it another go, but I'd like to know how long of a slog I'm in for.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Edit: ... It takes nine arcs to get good?

It starts to kick in (For me anyway) at 1.06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Remora posted:

Hey, quick Pact question - how long does it take to get good? I tried reading the first few chapters awhile ago and now I'm gonna give it another go, but I'd like to know how long of a slog I'm in for.

The first time I tried to pick it up I got bored after a couple chapters. The second time I put more effort into it and now I read every update as it comes out. I'd say it took me 2-3 arcs to really get interested in the story. Worm was pretty slow in the beginning as well.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Love the new chapter, but it felt short. :( We are seeing some classic Wildbow frying pan/fryer situations develop. :allears:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Love the new chapter, but it felt short. :( We are seeing some classic Wildbow frying pan/fryer situations develop. :allears:

The last few have felt short, I feel. As much as I asked for some meaningful downtime, I feel like actual character building interactions with the team aren't really happening despite the limited action.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Velius posted:

The last few have felt short, I feel. As much as I asked for some meaningful downtime, I feel like actual character building interactions with the team aren't really happening despite the limited action.

Maybe not the main team, but there was a decent amount done for the other Thornburns.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So I am totally expecting andy or more likely his sister to meet their end here, precipitating the others total breakdown, but I'm also sure there will be collateral damage done in the death of one of the witch hunters. I have a very real fear for Blake's friends lives.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That's the best thing about Wildbow: nobody is safe!

There is definitely another point in that Blake picked up Sympathy (and other magic) so fast.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Namarrgon posted:

That's the best thing about Wildbow: nobody is safe!

There is definitely another point in that Blake picked up Sympathy (and other magic) so fast.

Honestly sympathy seems stupidly easy so long as you have a power source. I'm sure all the practitioners in Jacob's Bell are pretty well versed in it or at least defending against it. Blake has just been using it against novices and non practitioners.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lyon posted:

Honestly sympathy seems stupidly easy so long as you have a power source. I'm sure all the practitioners in Jacob's Bell are pretty well versed in it or at least defending against it. Blake has just been using it against novices and non practitioners.

Nah. It's just not usually anywhere near as useful for your typical practitioner as it is for Blake, the guy exists in a mirror world where an exact duplicate of anything in the real world is always at hand.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Yeah, I mean he's a mirror man, sympathy with the real world seems like a given.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a sympathy for the devil joke in here somewhere

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That reminds me...my new wild-rear end guess is that if Rose is really Rose Sr somehow, then Blake is her familiar. We don't really know anything about Rose Sr's familiar, maybe it was literally a "little warrior" and that's the part of Blake that is so goddamn gung-ho. That would also explain Blake's intense devotion to Rose, as we saw with the Behaim familiars they are totally unable to go against their masters in all but the most roundabout ways.

So my complete theory is Blake and Rose Jr both existed as grandchildren, and that Rose Sr and her familiar did some kind of hosed up bullshit to become them, and Blake doesn't remember because reasons. It's a very well-supported thought.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

That reminds me...my new wild-rear end guess is that if Rose is really Rose Sr somehow, then Blake is her familiar. We don't really know anything about Rose Sr's familiar, maybe it was literally a "little warrior" and that's the part of Blake that is so goddamn gung-ho. That would also explain Blake's intense devotion to Rose, as we saw with the Behaim familiars they are totally unable to go against their masters in all but the most roundabout ways.

So my complete theory is Blake and Rose Jr both existed as grandchildren, and that Rose Sr and her familiar did some kind of hosed up bullshit to become them, and Blake doesn't remember because reasons. It's a very well-supported thought.

Rose Sr's familiar was her cat. It died at the same time she did.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TOOT BOOT posted:

A wizard did it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, but 1) all we know is it was a cat and 2) if Rose Sr can be Rose Jr, familiar shenanigans can happen too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think Blake is too symbolically associated with birds to have previously been a cat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look i'm pretty sure a cat full of birds works perfectly well symbolically

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well I guess he does keep them inside his stomach.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It was pointed out the comments thread (I'm bored) that eyes are reflective surfaces. We know Blake is limited to a minimum size of surface for habitation purposes (otherwise just go hog wild and break all the glass in a house), but I wonder if eyes are sufficiently large. He hasn't seemed that interested in trying just yet. If Andy and Eva have to close their eyes to keep Blake at bay, it does give Alexis/Ty/Tiff/Evan a pretty substantial advantage.

Also, Peter apparently made it out of the house, and has been pacing in a circle around the building for the past little while. Maybe he just wanted to make a phone call, but given that Paige was awakened by Isadora it's not out of the question that another of the Thorburns could have been introduced to magic. He was also the person who noticed the diagrams in the house. I just re-read his chat with Alexis, and didn't notice anything that seemed an outright lie.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm ready for an exposition dump, I really really want to know what Blake is and his relationship to Rose.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
No update today, huh? I thought last Thursday was the Thursday off...?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think Wildbow just had poo poo to do this week.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
From 11.6
Peter said, “Why is Rose different? That’s kind of the same question. Because the Rose I knew was a no-life sad sack loser with no friends.”

Game, set, match. It's totally Rose Sr. doing ridiculous things as Rose. :smugdog:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

builds character posted:

From 11.6
Peter said, “Why is Rose different? That’s kind of the same question. Because the Rose I knew was a no-life sad sack loser with no friends.”

Game, set, match. It's totally Rose Sr. doing ridiculous things as Rose. :smugdog:

Or Conquest is having an effect plus she inherited Blake's friends. I don't buy that she is Rose Sr. as she was when she died. Perhaps she is a 'clone' (for lack of a better word) but one who grew up with her own memories/life, not the actual mind of the super powerful diabolist that was Rose Sr.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Caught up. Yeah, it really does take nine arcs to get good, which makes it a lot slower than Worm for me. Arc 4 is where it gets interesting enough. The end of arc 4 is also the single most Wildbow thing I have ever read - from beautiful to completely hosed in six lines.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm not 100% sure and I just don't feel up to looking it up right now, but wasn't there some implication that barbatorum or something barbatorum could do offered some sort of "proof against death" as well as some sort of method of disabling practitioners?

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not 100% sure and I just don't feel up to looking it up right now, but wasn't there some implication that barbatorum or something barbatorum could do offered some sort of "proof against death" as well as some sort of method of disabling practitioners?

I don't think that was in the description of his powers. I can't remember where his abilities were talked about so I can't really look it up. That doesn't sound right though.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
His powers were gone into here

http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/bonds-1-7/

He can extend someone's life (But not indefinetly) or do incredible surgery for a price, but this opens them to possession. Like by bird spirits to pick an example completely at random.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Argh, everyone stop being evasive with Blake, just tell him what's going on!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Argh, everyone stop being evasive with Blake, just tell him what's going on!

Pact posted:

“Blake, we need to plan. If something happens to us, it’s going to set off a chain reaction. Something could happen to Rose. You need to do what you can to help her, even-“

A pause.

“Even what?” I asked, my voice low.

It's been pretty heavily implied at this point that whatever the secret is, it could make him turn on Rose. They're obviously looking out for Rose so it makes sense they wouldn't want to tell him.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

packsmack posted:

I don't think that was in the description of his powers. I can't remember where his abilities were talked about so I can't really look it up. That doesn't sound right though.

I'm talking about the stuff that Grandma Rose talked about/refered to with Aimon Behaim in the later histories, not the stuff written down in that book which is very likely not every thing or just total bullshit all around.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
As usual, the cliffhanger is a complete surprise to me. Would someone remind me where we previously heard about the Seal of Solomon, and what it does to/for Others?

Edit for spoiler: I mean, it can't be good, if he's releasing Thorburns rather than subject himself to it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It was actually Bonds 1.7, linked above when we were discussing the barber. It seems like Blake's dislike of it is basically what he said, that he doesn't want to go with things the way they've always been. I can't remember anything else that would be unappetizing about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we entirely sure that Rose Sr. intended Blake to simply be ablative karma armour/bodyguard for Rose Jr.? She sought to work against the status quo, if slowly and subtly. And now the Other that she presumably created from her line is fighting the status quo as well, if much more bluntly and aggressively.

Did she decide, as she was running out of time, that slow and careful wasn't going to be enough to save humanity from the inevitable fall? I doubt Ur-*snap* is an outlier. It's just another entry on a long list of powerful things that pose a long-term existential threat to humanity, a list of unaddressed long-term threats. If things keep going as they have been (and the system is incredibly biased toward preventing proactive action), we're all hosed.

Blake has been doing a fantastic job of destabilizing the system, not to mention surviving the consequences. I'm not going to be surprised if it turns out Blake was at least in part intended to be Rose Senior's last Hail Mary attempt at enacting change.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Are we entirely sure that Rose Sr. intended Blake to simply be ablative karma armour/bodyguard for Rose Jr.? She sought to work against the status quo, if slowly and subtly. And now the Other that she presumably created from her line is fighting the status quo as well, if much more bluntly and aggressively.

Did she decide, as she was running out of time, that slow and careful wasn't going to be enough to save humanity from the inevitable fall? I doubt Ur-*snap* is an outlier. It's just another entry on a long list of powerful things that pose a long-term existential threat to humanity, a list of unaddressed long-term threats. If things keep going as they have been (and the system is incredibly biased toward preventing proactive action), we're all hosed.

Blake has been doing a fantastic job of destabilizing the system, not to mention surviving the consequences. I'm not going to be surprised if it turns out Blake was at least in part intended to be Rose Senior's last Hail Mary attempt at enacting change.

Yeah. I see no reason why someone would blow the kind of power Blake required on a god damned buffer for Rose. Plus he is just competent as all get out and, if you can make a person (effectively) as brilliantly skilled as Blake why make a loving bodyguard? And Blake being the actual real trick up Granny's sleeve would explain why the Lawyers likely set him up to fail.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What's up with Evan moving when they're talking to the jr council changing the amount blake can see? Is their familiar bond coming back?

Also, tremendous plan: wake the thorburns. Nothing can possibly go wrong (Rose will be so angry).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I find it a little frustrating that this is a chapter in which nothing really happens until the end. The meeting was basically pointless, he said his piece and they shut him down. It was obvious that was how it was going to go. No one got anything out of it, we didn't really learn anything new, so what was the point of this chapter? It felt like spinning wheels when really the action was at the house.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I've been saying this for a bit now. I don't think Blake's a Hail Mary though; I think he's the centerpiece of Rose Sr.'s efforts. I mean, Rose Sr. seemed to be all about changing the system, but she didn't manage to do much while alive, and the only thing she left behind seems to be Blake.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Grundulum posted:

Would someone remind me where we previously heard about the Seal of Solomon, and what it does to/for Others?

Before the Seal, humanity was basically a primite prey species to Others. Solomon was the biggest, baddest wizard that challenged the most powerful Others, and eventually settled on a compromise; 'innocent' humans are kept safe, while Awakened humans can be targeted by Others. While the Seal works for humanity in perpetuity, it only works for Others that were either present when the Seal was made or as this chapter teaches us those that agree to be bound to it afterwards. Also apparently it is a power source, which makes some sense, as no Other would agree to it otherwise.

Presumable the can't-tell-lies was put in there as a form of antiquity chivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Awakening the Thornburns and taking on the responsibility for everything they do in perpetuity seems like such a terrible idea that I can't wait to see what Blake does with them. :allears:

• Locked thread