Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

Yeah, at what point does this fuckwit's desire for liberty end? Why does the government oppress my freedom by making me get a driver's license? Why can't I yell fire in a theatre? Why can't I stalk people and scream obscenities at them without the police infringing my rights?
Why can't I just release a cloud of polio into the air over Marin county? It's my choice, you can't criticize me for a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Minnesota State High School League (the organization all schools, including private Christian schools, must be members of in order to compete in state athletics) is working directly with OutFront Minnesota on a Transgender Student Athlete Policy that will allow boys who identify as girls to play on girls’ sports teams and girls who identify as boys to play on boys’ sports teams. This also means that boys and girls can have access to the same showers, locker rooms, bathrooms, and hotel rooms as the opposite sex.

:byodood: Girls who identify as boys are going to be sleeping next to your son, and boys who identify as girls will be washing down next to your daughter!

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 30, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So boys will be sleeping next to your sons, and girls will be sleeping next to your daughter?

I'm not sure what you're complaining about, people?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So boys will be sleeping next to your sons, and girls will be sleeping next to your daughter?

But what if they're homosexual? :ohdear:

Fortunately, bisexuals don't exist. So that improves the odds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The Body of Christ says "girl trophies for girl parts."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Kids today get too many trophies!

DON'T YOU GIVE THAT LITTLE TRANS KID A TROPHY THAT SHOULD HAVE GONE TO MY LITTLE PRINCESS THOUGH!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
We (the body of Christ)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to speculate that the body of christ contains male and female members.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GreyjoyBastard posted:

But what if they're homosexual? :ohdear:

Fortunately, bisexuals don't exist. So that improves the odds.
There are no out homosexual children in good Christian schools :colbert:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'll let them explain, because of course there was more and it was worse:

quote:

WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS TRANSGENDER POLICY?

-Talking Points-

1. Such a policy is NOT (repeat NOT) required under state or federal law.

2. This policy will affect both public AND private schools--and HOMESCHOOLED students who participate in public or private school athletics. There is NO exemption for religious schools or religious students.

3. The policy allows transgender boys to play on girls’ sports teams and transgender girls to play on boys’ teams with no safety provisions for physical disparities.

4. Transgender boys can access girls’ locker rooms, showers, bathrooms, and hotel rooms (and vice versa).

5. The policy requires privacy accommodations for transgender students, but the protection of non-transgender students’ privacy rights is not required.

6. The policy basically puts an unfunded mandate on all schools, requiring “Transgender Sensitivity Training” for school staff, parents, students, and others…

7. The policy leaves schools vulnerable to lawsuits for violations of students’ and parents’ rights and religious freedom rights.

8. The process for developing this policy has lacked transparency, bringing only one viewpoint to the table, despite requests and offers for participation from other viewpoints.

WHAT’S THE CHRISTIAN RESPONSE?

That’s easy—LOVE. The Christian response should always be one of love because we serve the God who IS Love and Who BECAME Love in the flesh.

And Love doesn’t lie. Being loving means always speaking the truth—in love (Eph. 4:15). Love never rejoices in wrongdoing—it rejoices in TRUTH (1 Cor. 13:6).

Responding in love means there’s no room for the follower of Jesus to disregard the pain of those struggling with their gender identity.

Responding in love certainly also means that there’s no room for the follower of Jesus to help spread the lie that because you “feel deeply internally” that you are a girl makes you a girl when God fearfully and wonderfully made you a boy in His own image (Psalm 139:14)!

And, when it comes to children, we have an even greater duty to protect and ensure that they are not being fed lies that will harm them. Jesus said it would be better for us to drown than to cause one of His children to stumble and sin! (Matthew 18:5-6)

Part of Turning the Lights Back On in Minnesota this year means letting YOUR light shine—speaking the truth in LOVE.

Join us as we help shed light and truth on the harm this policy will cause to our kids, our schools, and our ability to speak the Truth about who God designed us to be.

There's a lot of terrible in there, but this bit about how physical anatomy trumps gender identity:

quote:

Responding in love certainly also means that there’s no room for the follower of Jesus to help spread the lie that because you “feel deeply internally” that you are a girl makes you a girl when God fearfully and wonderfully made you a boy in His own image (Psalm 139:14)!

Fuuuuuuuck Yooooooooooou.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Mo_Steel posted:

There's a lot of terrible in there, but this bit about how physical anatomy trumps gender identity:

ewwwwwwww man these people are te worst

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Stupid Hate-Filled Rhetoric posted:

4. Transgender boys can access girls’ locker rooms, showers, bathrooms, and hotel rooms (and vice versa).

5. The policy requires privacy accommodations for transgender students, but the protection of non-transgender students’ privacy rights is not required.

So which is it? Are they in private accommodations or are they mixed in with all the other students? These 2 points contradict each other.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

quote:

At this point, humility should come into play. The above statement seems logical to me- girls have girl parts, and boys have boy parts, end of story. It seems that way to me because I am cisgendered and have never felt like I was in the wrong body, but trans people assure me it's a real thing and makes a big difference. At that point, I listen to what they have to say and don't try to force my own way of thinking on them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Christian love: "You're a boy, you're a boy, you're a boy, you're a boy!" *shakes child* "You're a boy! A boy! A boy! You have a penis! I love you! This is love!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr E posted:

The thing is, I legitimately don't think it should be a right to choose against vaccines if you don't have a medical reason. If you want your lovely kids to die, I guess that's your choice, but as was mentioned it harms the entire community, not just your child.

It's my right to choose whether or not to feed my child. The government passing a law to force me sounds like tyranny.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I have the right to shake my baby.

I have the right to feed him bleach.

My rights supercede your inanity.

And if you don't think so, IMPEACH.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

I have the right to shake my baby.

I have the right to feed him bleach.

My rights supercede your inanity.

And if you don't think so, IMPEACH.

:golfclap:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

quote:

3. The policy allows transgender boys to play on girls’ sports teams and transgender girls to play on boys’ teams with no safety provisions for physical disparities.

I'm neither a doctor nor a woman, but what are they talking about? Do they think the transboys will accidently rip off other boy's penises or something? What do they mean by this, beyond the obvious and idiotic "MUST PROTECT GIRLS THEY WEAK" bullshittery?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

T-man posted:

I'm neither a doctor nor a woman, but what are they talking about? Do they think the transboys will accidently rip off other boy's penises or something? What do they mean by this, beyond the obvious and idiotic "MUST PROTECT GIRLS THEY WEAK" bullshittery?

:biotruths:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

T-man posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_high_school_national_records_in_track_and_field

edit: Though that's not safety provisions, I suppose. But boys and girls sports are kept separate for a reason.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have the right to set myself on fire and run around a crowded building and if someone gets hurt that's just the price of freedom.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Taking this retarded thing at face value, are they implying the boy would also find it uncomfortable sleeping next to the girl? Because hahahha holy poo poo somebody's never been within a 50 mile radius of a high school campus, ever. :allears:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Gen. Ripper posted:

Taking this retarded thing at face value, are they implying the boy would also find it uncomfortable sleeping next to the girl? Because hahahha holy poo poo somebody's never been within a 50 mile radius of a high school campus, ever. :allears:

On the contrary. Your little angel might be tempted into sin by that hussy.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_high_school_national_records_in_track_and_field

edit: Though that's not safety provisions, I suppose. But boys and girls sports are kept separate for a reason.

Pretty much. You can expect the transgender "girls" to start winning all the trophies.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's totally irrelevant if they're doing hormone therapy. The greater average athletic ability of boys is due to the effects of testosterone.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There's some skeletal structure stuff too that hormone therapy after puberty couldn't change, so they are right in some cases. Therefore, the transgenders are the real oppressors.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Armyman25 posted:

Pretty much. You can expect the transgender "girls" to start winning all the trophies.

drop the scare quotes, dickweed

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

It's my right to choose whether or not to feed my child. The government passing a law to force me sounds like tyranny.

It's weird how obsessed with rights that guy was, for a conversation that had nothing to do with them. Yes, you have the right not to take vaccines, but to not do so is dumb as hell. Saying it's your right is not a response to someone arguing why you should.

It's like people who cry freedom of speech when their opinions are criticised. If the only defense of your position is that it's NOT ILLEGAL you need better opinions

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

There's some skeletal structure stuff too that hormone therapy after puberty couldn't change, so they are right in some cases. Therefore, the transgenders are the real oppressors.

Looking forward to people going transgender if they can't hack it as male athletes and want an easy win. It's so easy, quick and if it doesn't work, they can just reverse it!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah, I totally bet the transgirls are just going to start completely dominating in women's sports especially since everyone is NOT going to be yelling, "get that human being crossdresser off the field, he shouldn't be playing with girls!" as soon as she starts doing well at all.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
This whole argument puts Foekje Dillema to mind.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Two friends posted this (1 is a decent college student, 1 is a soldier who served in Iraq and is now a prison guard) Absolutely none of it is cited and it comes from "The Revolution" facebook page.

I do love the random complaining about different languages and the complaining about the non-existant "push 1 for Spanish".

Edit: I forgot to ask: How do you even argue with this stuff? Nothing is cited so there is no way to really rebut it, is there?
They forgot the stats about what else happens when you chase off your undocumented workforce:

quote:

The dirty secret that everybody knew was that most of the state’s agricultural workers were immigrants, many of them illegal. Some lived in the state; others migrated with the harvest from southern Florida up to New York and back. Some of the former have moved away, while many of the latter are bypassing Georgia. Without them, according to a University of Georgia study, farmers were about 40 percent short of the number of workers they needed to harvest last year’s crop.

Despite high unemployment in the state, most Georgians don’t want such back-breaking jobs, nor do they have the necessary skills. According to Dick Minor, president of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Grower’s Association, immigrants “are pretty much professional harvesters” with many specializing in particular crops.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Guilty Spork posted:

Also, not only is "Press 1 for Spanish" not a thing (it's usually like number 8, mentioned after almost everything else except the option that lets you talk to a person), but oddly enough there are people here legally who do in fact speak Spanish.

Actually, it is a thing, but the way it's done make these people seem even stupider. Usually it's a "Hello, welcome to XXX Company. Para español, oprima uno."

If you speak English, you literally have to do nothing, then it dumps you in the main menu.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just switched carriers for my cell phone and to set up my voicemail I had to press 1 for English. It was terrible. I now want armed guards on the border!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ArchangeI posted:

Looking forward to people going transgender if they can't hack it as male athletes and want an easy win. It's so easy, quick and if it doesn't work, they can just reverse it!

True. I saw it on Futurama.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ArchangeI posted:

They think that this was a documentary.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:

JohnClark posted:

To continue with Ben Carson chat, I have really grown to love Facebook's suggested articles:

LOL I guess it has been a "long time" since literally the last republican primary, when Ron Paul contended as a former vagina doctor.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
My Aunt (whose adorable chocolate lab is named Reagan) just posted this racist bullshit:

Most of the comments are versions of:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
This has been making the rounds on my Facebook. I don't even know what to say, except that logic is losing. :(

quote:

How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
Damon Linker

You should really care that the German Ethics Council (a government committee) has pronounced that Germany's laws banning consensual incest between adult brothers and sisters ought to be abolished.

Now, it's not because Germany's laws directly affect the United States; they don't, of course. And even within Germany itself, the ruling party of Chancellor Angela Merkel has indicated that it doesn't plan on following the council's recommendation.

The reason why Americans — and especially American liberals — should care about the council's ruling is that it gives us a glimpse of America's future.

The German council's position is based on the claim that "the fundamental right of adult siblings to sexual self-determination" overrides all other moral considerations, including "the abstract idea of protection of the family." That is very similar to the rationales that have been used to uphold reproductive rights and to strike down bans on same-sex marriage throughout the United States. And we have every reason to think the same logic will eventually apply to bans on sibling incest in this country.

Many liberals will want to deny this, since it sounds like a slippery-slope argument, which social conservatives love to deploy but liberals prefer to mock and dismiss, often illustrated by outrageous and ill-informed quotations from Rick Santorum. But slippery-slope arguments are aren't always foolish. On the contrary, they can be powerful and persuasive when they simply point out that justifying activity A with reference to principle X opens the door to justifying activities B, C, and D, if they, too, conform to principle X. All it takes is someone to make a claim in favor of activity B, C, or D for that person to be granted the same rights as those making a claim in favor of activity A.

This is precisely what Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has been banging on about since his blistering dissent in Lawrence v. Texas, the 2003 decision that overturned Texas's anti-sodomy statute. Focusing less on the details of the Texas law, Scalia was primarily concerned that the libertarian rationale used to strike it down would apply just as well to any law seeking to regulate consensual sexual behavior, including bans on "bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity."

Scalia made a similar slippery-slope argument in his dissent in United States v. Windsor (2013), the case that struck down the federal Defense of Marriage Act. In Scalia's view, it didn't matter that the majority had refrained from finding "a constitutional requirement to give formal recognition to same-sex marriage." By denying that there is any possible rationale for opposing same-sex marriage besides the desire to "'disparage,' 'injure,' 'degrade,' 'demean,' and 'humiliate' our fellow human beings, our fellow citizens, who are homosexual," the majority had established a principle that rendered both state-level bans on gay marriage indefensible and an eventual declaration of a constitutional right for homosexuals to marry inevitable.

A series of lower courts have subsequently paid backhanded tribute to the power of Scalia's argument by relying in part on his dissent in overturning numerous state-level bans on same-sex marriage. As for his claim about an inevitable constitutional right to gay marriage, it hasn't been declared yet. When will it happen? Since the principle justifying such a right has already been established, Scalia thinks it could happen any time, with the primary consideration being what the majority believes "it can get away with."

Well, how long before the majority wants to and believes it can get away with declaring a constitutional right to sibling incest?

Don't laugh. As with same-sex marriage, the principle has already been established. In a notorious passage of Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the 1992 decision that upheld the constitutional right to abortion, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that "at the heart of liberty is the right to define one's own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, of the mystery of human life." Kennedy relied on the same passage in his majority opinion in Lawrence. The German Ethics Council expressed a similarly libertarian ideal of sexual autonomy in its ruling in favor of sibling incest.

Perhaps you still think the comparison is silly. But it's not. Here are some relevant questions for liberals. I think you'll be surprised where the answers lead you.

Do you support the right of consenting adult brothers and sisters to marry? If not, why not? What legal or moral principle justifies granting marriage rights to unrelated same-sex couples while denying such rights to brothers and sisters?

Note that the German Ethics Council also held that the prospect of a brother and sister producing children with genetic defects cannot be used as a reason to deny them a right to marry. After all, disabled couples are not prohibited from procreating under German law, even though they have a greater-than-average chance of producing disabled kids. The same is true, incidentally, under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

If you do support the right of brothers and sisters to marry, is it because you think there's nothing wrong with (or even something potentially good about) incestuous relationships? Or do you support the right to incestuous marriage despite being disgusted by the practice?

This question is significant because in recent years some liberals have begun to argue that it is not enough for traditionalist religious believers merely to tolerate same-sex marriage. Instead, these people must positively affirm the legitimacy and goodness of gay marriage as an institution. Otherwise, they run the risk of perpetuating the evil of homophobia. Which brings us to:

Is it acceptable to affirm the right of incestuous couples to marry while continuing to think that such marriages are depraved? Or should we combat such anti-incestuous beliefs — just like racism, sexism, and homophobia — on the grounds that they will encourage hurtful stereotypes?

I suspect that liberals won't appreciate being asked these questions. But refusing to answer won't stop the logic at work in the sexually libertarian principles that on other occasions liberals triumphantly champion. Once a person, couple, or group of people make a sexual-partnership claim based on autonomy and consent, there is increasingly no basis on which to legally reject it. And once it becomes legally accepted, there is increasingly no basis on which to morally reject it.

Which means that, sooner or later, incest is likely to be legal and morally accepted in the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I get a kick out of pages like "The Tea Party" posing these stories as if they're just in the middle trying to take the pulse of America. What do YOU think? Is this a good idea? Does it go too far? Is this policy legal? Kind of hard to portray a lack of bias when those questions immediately follow "Eric Holder is going to FLIP"

With all the failings of Holder's tenure, it says a lot that the first thing these scumbags can think of when it comes to open bigotry is how much it will piss him off. He should take serious pride in that.