Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
think i'm gonna get ahead of this whole thing and kill myself. dumb ebola cant outsmart me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I live in Texas, and I work in our county's emergency mental health clinic. Should I just start showing up in a hazmat suit already?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DARPA Dad posted:

think i'm gonna get ahead of this whole thing and kill myself. dumb ebola cant outsmart me

:gb2gbs:I loving TOLD YOU SO~ Deadliest Ebola case ever ravages the Dark Continent :gb2gbs:

CNN is reporting that the patient arrived on the 20th. That's good because it means that he was asymptomatic for the duration of his flight, and bad because he might not have realized what was up until he was symptomatic and infectious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There is still no evidence the virus is airborne, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

discoukulele posted:

I live in Texas, and I work in our county's emergency mental health clinic. Should I just start showing up in a hazmat suit already?

Better start blood letting everyone you meet just to be sure.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Ebola is spread by fluid contact with an infected person or corpse. It is not airborne.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nessus posted:

Might be a little more droplet-transmissible than some previous strains, but it's (very, very) unlikely to become airborne and certainly doesn't seem to be yet.

For starters, you'd see an absolutely preposterous jump in transmission in West Africa.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
The virus in all likelihood will not go airborne, even with untold trillions of iterations. It's simply too much of an evolutionary leap, not exactly but somewhat akin to humans growing a third functional eye. But through selective pressure, many dozens of strains will arise, have arisen, that are increasingly resilient in aerosol form. Even genes that allow the virus to survive for a few seconds longer in suspension could make the difference between ten thousand dead and one hundred thousand dead. People are worried about a nuclear airborne form, but honestly Ebola is fighting trench warfare, taking one person at a time, growing incrementally but inevitably more resilient with each lysed cell.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well. Placed in isolation 4 days after developing symptoms.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well. Placed in isolation 4 days after developing symptoms.

That's not really the best number, but hopefully he wasn't licking too many poor people.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

a person from africa with flu symptoms was allowed to leave a medical facility and not return for 4 days

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's not really the best number, but hopefully he wasn't licking too many poor people.

It's Dallas. Hopefully he was licking the rich.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Apparently the CDC has run down all of the people that he came into contact with. Patient first sought care on the 26th and was admitted on the 28th.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WoodrowSkillson posted:

a person from africa with flu symptoms was allowed to leave a medical facility and not return for 4 days

Now that's a woopsie right there.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Now that's a woopsie right there.

But it's the first world theres no way it can spread here. :downs:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That was awesome, the local epidemiologist called out Tom Frieden's semantics re: airborne versus droplet / fluid transmission hahaa.

What is the isolation protocol for BSL4 type diseases? I know the labs have ridiculous safeguards but is there a similar setup for wards in hospitals with live patients?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And to think that I didn't go for a vacation in Africa because of this. Now my flight back from California is via Dallas, fun times!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I always get irked when people are so smug and self-congratulatory at how great a job they've done and how everything is going to work out perfectly because they just aced the handling of this case as they are in this briefing. Even if that's true you have to wonder how many more cases are going to pop up like this over the coming months and what happens when that case isn't handled as well. I feel like I've seen this same smug self-congratulatory tone a couple dozen times immediately preceding monumental fuckups over the past ten years now.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

whitey delenda est posted:

That was awesome, the local epidemiologist called out Tom Frieden's semantics re: airborne versus droplet / fluid transmission hahaa.

I was realllllly surprised when Frieden said the "we're breathing the same air" thing. What an unwise comment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Apparently the CDC has run down all of the people that he came into contact with. Patient first sought care on the 26th and was admitted on the 28th.

Source? Mainly because mine suck.

mobby_6kl posted:

And to think that I didn't go for a vacation in Africa because of this. Now my flight back from California is via Dallas, fun times!

I hope you're joking because otherwise you're an overreacting goon.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DrPop posted:

I was realllllly surprised when Frieden said the "we're breathing the same air" thing. What an unwise comment.

Yeah that was really weird, like out of a movie level weird. Usually I really enjoy Frieden's mannerisms and he does PR stuff very well, but this was a pretty bad time to depart from protocol.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Don't be a dumbass.

There are very few ways it could spread far here, though.

Pryor: hey, as long as they can keep up the contact tracing for months of false alarms, I'll be happy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

whitey delenda est posted:

What is the isolation protocol for BSL4 type diseases? I know the labs have ridiculous safeguards but is there a similar setup for wards in hospitals with live patients?

Depends on the hospital. County hospitals will be equipped with a negative pressure isolation room, which should be fine for isolating an Ebola patient. We have suits to protect ourselves, and the CDC will likely be overseeing disinfection protocols.

I don't envy the people who are stuck trying to start an IV while wearing thick gloves, that has to suck.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There's very, very little chance of it becoming endemic, much less an epidemic because we have a very robust medical system that's watching for it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For serious, is now the time to think we are all going to die horribly? :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

For serious, is now the time to think we are all going to die horribly? :ohdear:

Nope.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unlucky7 posted:

Do you plan to lick and run up a bunch of corpses and visibly extremely sick people in the near future? If not, no.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

No. Ebola is a scary disease, but it's not particularly infectious and we have the people and resources to deal with it before it gets out of hand.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's very, very little chance of it becoming endemic, much less an epidemic because we have a very robust medical system that's watching for it.

Except for when people recently returning from Liberia are allowed to leave after presenting symptoms. Everyone involved should be fired and jailed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pryor on Fire posted:

I always get irked when people are so smug and self-congratulatory at how great a job they've done and how everything is going to work out perfectly because they just aced the handling of this case as they are in this briefing. Even if that's true you have to wonder how many more cases are going to pop up like this over the coming months and what happens when that case isn't handled as well. I feel like I've seen this same smug self-congratulatory tone a couple dozen times immediately preceding monumental fuckups over the past ten years now.

Well I think part of this is putting on a confident front to reassure all the people who are inevitably freaking the gently caress out over this. Going in very sober and saying that this turned out fine, but you're cognizant that there will certainly be more cases like this in the months or possibly years to come is probably the more humble and 'professional' response, but it might not play the best for the public fears you're trying to quash, which is the whole point of the press conference really.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

We probably won't die and this will probably be contained.

Could it get bad? Yes. Will it? Probably not. I really hope not.

If things started getting awful they'd do what they did in that movie Outbreak, complete quarantine everyone who has it and then blow them up to stop it from spreading if it can't be stopped. I doubt it will come to that, but they'd do it if it got out of control.

So, we'll probably be fine. It is scary to think about it, but we shouldn't worry over what we can't control.

edit: Seriously though, I am going to pray to God things don't get bad and this stays contained.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 30, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Except for when people recently returning from Liberia are allowed to leave after presenting symptoms. Everyone involved should be fired and jailed.

Yes, the 'Oh, probably just a flu or malaria' attitude should, hopefully, be reduced here given this outbreak.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, the 'Oh, probably just a flu or malaria' attitude should, hopefully, be reduced here given this outbreak.

Except it will soon be flue season and we can't expect everyone with flu to be quarantined as if they have ebola.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sorry, screening every fever-presenting patient traveling from West Africa doesn't meet this quarter's flow-through assignment passed down from corporate, so for now it's Ebola for everyone!

e: Ebola for everyone, $0.000007 per share for the stockholders. BOOYAH

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Except it will soon be flue season and we can't expect everyone with flu to be quarantined as if they have ebola.

It probably makes sense to take additional precautionary measures if they additional risk factors though. Like having recently traveled to or from West Africa.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Spectacle Rock posted:

We probably won't die and this will probably be contained.

Could it get bad? Yes. Will it? Probably not. I really hope not.

If things started getting awful they'd do what they did in that movie Outbreak, complete quarantine everyone who has it and then blow them up to stop it from spreading if it can't be stopped. I doubt it will come to that, but they'd do it if it got out of control.

So, we'll probably be fine. It is scary to think about it, but we shouldn't worry over what we can't control.

edit: Seriously though, I am going to pray to God things don't get bad and this stays contained.

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not! :cry:

EDIT :and I just noticed the edit. I hear ya.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Spectacle Rock posted:

In outbreak, the bomb wasn't used to stop the virus spreading - it was used to stop anyone finding the virus and realising its the same as the one the army has and has an antidote for and are withholding.

But that's irrelevant. Are you suggesting that blowing people up to stop a virus spreading is ever an option at all in any country? My sarcasm detector is off today.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

With travel to Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea? That's not unreasonable. Something like 200k are hospitalized a year due to flu and I'm pretty sure most of them are isolated.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Unlucky7 posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not! :cry:

don't bother with a will or anything, everyone you know and love will be dead too :rip:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

don't bother with a will or anything, everyone you know and love will be dead too :rip:

I'm going to rub my ebola blood on everything I own so they'll bury it with me and I can take it to the afterlife

and infect everyone there with ebola.

Spectacle Rock if you are in the US you are not going to get ebola. You can calm yourself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I expect so for everyone who has flu-like symptoms and either travel history to west africa OR contact with an individual with travel history to west africa/contacr with a suspected EVD case.

• Locked thread