Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You could still get Rabblemasters for 75 cents the day of the pro tour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You should not buy cards based on the meta unless you know what the meta is. If a card is clearly good on its own merits, that's a different reason to buy a card; e.g. Master of Waves.
I think this is a big part of why Treasure Cruise might be the best card to come out in years. It's at common and it can fit in decks across all formats. I'd draft every single one for when they hit Serum Visions prices.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ashcloud is a solid card and lots of pros were pimping it. I personally think it works as a control finisher since you can wipe the board and get value out of it as a 2/2 until you can instant speed flip it if your opponent tries to kill it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think this is a big part of why Treasure Cruise might be the best card to come out in years. It's at common and it can fit in decks across all formats. I'd draft every single one for when they hit Serum Visions prices.

I don't think that's gonna happen, since there are gonna be a lot more packs of Khans opened than Fifth Dawn. (On the other hand, the way the block switches from being drafted KTK-FRF to FRF-Louie, I guess it won't be opened quite as much as most large sets.)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

You could still get Rabblemasters for 75 cents the day of the pro tour...

I can't believe they're up to nearly 20 bucks now, I kinda feel like I should dump mine for fetches and play a non-rabblemaster deck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Has anyone thought about a Purphoros-Xenagos PW-Rabblemaster type of deck that abuses the fact that xenagos pw is much better now that there is no mutavault in the format and a lot of people are using 1 for 1 kill spells? Seems to me you can just make a low to the ground aggressive GR deck that consistently puts through the damage needed.

Cactrot posted:

I can't believe they're up to nearly 20 bucks now, I kinda feel like I should dump mine for fetches and play a non-rabblemaster deck.
You should honestly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

Ashcloud is a solid card and lots of pros were pimping it. I personally think it works as a control finisher since you can wipe the board and get value out of it as a 2/2 until you can instant speed flip it if your opponent tries to kill it.

Sarkhan is way more likely to wind up the control finisher of choice die to not getting hit at all by Anger.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sarkhan is way more likely to wind up the control finisher of choice die to not getting hit at all by Anger.

Why would anyone play Anger of the Gods against a control deck?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cactrot posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to check this out for myself. Man do I feel good about getting mine for $12.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to check this out for myself. Man do I feel good about getting mine for $12.

I bought mine at 4 or 5 and I have 2 extra! Keep going up you crazy diamond!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

I don't think they are going down. They are played in EVERYTHING and no one is going to open up m15 anymore.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Haha, Time Spiral (block) was nuts.

Straight into the Nekusar/Narset decks. Thanks for reminding me this existed!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, I can't help but think Rabblemaster and Nissa are going to hold practically to M16. Plus green is already strong from Courser and Caryatid, and Mardu and Jeskai showing promise. Think painlands might go up too.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

qbert posted:

Why would anyone play Anger of the Gods against a control deck?

Anger is very well positioned as a maindeck card right now. They'll side it out later, but there's no sense in getting the collateral damage in all of your game ones.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Nemico posted:

Anger is very well positioned as a maindeck card right now. They'll side it out later, but there's no sense in getting the collateral damage in all of your game ones.

Yeah but Stoke the Flames and Downfall are both also main deck cards and work better against Sarkhan than phoenix, so...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Nemico posted:

What collateral damage are you referring to?

The point of a maindeck is to have zero potentially dead cards in your hand. Anger doesn't meet that criteria. When people start playing traditionally sideboard cards in their maindeck purely as a guess against the potential meta, it usually doesn't work out well for them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah but Stoke the Flames and Downfall are both also main deck cards and work better against Sarkhan than phoenix, so...

Downfall requires specific timing and is reactive. Stoke the Flames won't take care of Sarkhan alone. Phoenix is proactive and resilient, and I don't blame people for giving it a shot on opening weekend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think Rabblemaster and Nissa are going to hold practically to M16. Plus green is already strong from Courser and Caryatid, and Mardu and Jeskai showing promise. Think painlands might go up too.

Painlands are already starting to go up slightly.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Yawgmoth posted:

Same here, plus I found a deck to use them in! :)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Downfall requires specific timing and is reactive. Stoke the Flames won't take care of Sarkhan alone. Phoenix is proactive and resilient, and I don't blame people for giving it a shot on opening weekend.

Oh yeah, Stoke doesn't actually work. But still, the point that phoenix is more vulnerable to a removal spell that's not even good against the deck is silly when there's also removal that works on Sarkhan that doesn't kill phoenix that happens to be more maindeckable and better against control in the first place.

The real concern is magma spray, which luckily is also pretty terrible against control.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So can somebody tell me why Purphoros doesn't see more play? He seems potentially absurd in a shell with Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Bloodsoaked Champion and a number of other things. Are there easy answers to Gods that I'm not seeing besides Erase and Deicide? Because I really want to try a semi-budget token deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

So can somebody tell me why Purphoros doesn't see more play? He seems potentially absurd in a shell with Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Bloodsoaked Champion and a number of other things. Are there easy answers to Gods that I'm not seeing besides Erase and Deicide? Because I really want to try a semi-budget token deck.

Decks that want to play those things don't typically look for 4 drops that require even more turns to do anything. Lets say that you are in a Mardu Tokens deck that wants a 4-drop. Why would you play Purphoros over Sorin? Sorin can win you the game with what you already have on board. Purphoros requires you to continue doing things.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
What are some examples of rares that were super-expensive for their time in standard, but aren't seeing much modern play? The only one I can think of is Thragtusk, and if Rabblemaster has the same price trend I'm wondering if it's worth getting rid of them now since I'm unlikely to play them in standard, and pick them up for modern later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

What are some examples of rares that were super-expensive for their time in standard, but aren't seeing much modern play? I'm wondering if it's worth getting rid of my Rabblemasters now since I'm unlikely to play them in standard, and pick them up for modern later?

I think Planeswalkers are like this a lot, e.g. Domri Rade, Jace, AOT, etc.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

What are some examples of rares that were super-expensive for their time in standard, but aren't seeing much modern play? I'm wondering if it's worth getting rid of my Rabblemasters now since I'm unlikely to play them in standard, and pick them up for modern later?

Thragtusk, Olivia, and Huntmaster.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I think the question was for rares, i.e. not mythics.

Restoration Angel from that same era for sure, and from the last rotation Boros Reckoner.

I'd say there's a high chance that the Pro Tour will show how to combat against Rabblemaster, and the price will actually drop due to poor performance.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Thragtusk is the best possible answer because it was priced out of control for almost the entire time it was in Standard and will almost assuredly never see eternal play.

Mutavault sort of fits too, although it sees extremely fringe tribal play.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AnacondaHL posted:

I'd say there's a high chance that the Pro Tour will show how to combat against Rabblemaster, and the price will actually drop due to poor performance.

Magma Spray and/or Searing Blood is how you combat Rabblemaster.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I do have to admit would have been pretty oppressive to have printed Liliana of the Veil in M15 as planned with Delve in the format.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cactrot posted:

i'm also certain this is boros reckoner part 2, and they will never drop in price just to spite me.

hell I was super salty that I dropped 20 dollars to buy two last sunday from a shop that charges low on singles. I recognized i was getting a great deal and just hate spending cash of singles.

but that was before they jumped in price this much...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm also certain this is boros reckoner part 2, and they will never drop in price just to spite me.

hell I was super salty that I dropped 20 dollars to buy two last sunday from a shop that charges low on singles. I recognized i was getting a great deal and just hate spending cash of singles.

but that was before they jumped in price this much...

Yeah, I got 4 at... I wanna say $8.50 each? Might have been $7.50. I kicked myself for not buying in at $5 but hey, at least I'm happy now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I drafted 2 got one in a prize pack and traded 2 more from a friend.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rabblemaster is seeing some fringe eternal play. It's good with sol lands.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Rabblemaster is seeing some fringe eternal play. It's good with sol lands.

Ancient Tomb > Lotus Petal > Rabblemaster, Enter Combat > Rabblemaster trigger, Swing 1, Pass?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

qbert posted:

What collateral damage are you referring to?

The point of a maindeck is to have zero potentially dead cards in your hand. Anger doesn't meet that criteria. When people start playing traditionally sideboard cards in their maindeck purely as a guess against the potential meta, it usually doesn't work out well for them.

I was just referring to the choice of a win condition in any certain deck against Anger of the Gods. In the case that TheKingOfSprings was talking about, Sarkhan is better against Anger than Ashcloud Phoenix. From the chunks of information I've seen, a mainboard sweeper would be awesome. I don't think there are any creatureless control decks to worry about right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm running 3 Rabblemasters in my Modern Goblins list until they reprint Goblin Piledriver (shut up and let me dream OK)

Also, when did Stoke the Flames become a $4 card? And should I pick up a playset if I want to play red this Standard season?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm running 3 Rabblemasters in my Modern Goblins list until they reprint Goblin Piledriver (shut up and let me dream OK)

Also, when did Stoke the Flames become a $4 card? And should I pick up a playset if I want to play red this Standard season?

Piledriver would actually be an awesome card to see reprinted, it's actually not that strong now compared to how it used to be

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

SCG's been sold out since last week. There are copies on TCGPlayer, but not at any local shops near me or SCG (wanted to order from them to pick up at the GP to guarantee I get them).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Stoke is a staple and its a m15 card, both things mean it's going to be expensive. Nic-fleece ram prices are going up it seems too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.

• Locked thread