Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mobby_6kl posted:

At least you have similar purchasing power in the UK. The base F30 here is... $39,350. That's three average annual incomes, and the next cheapest one after the stripper 316i is 320i at just $15k more :laugh:. Obviously things could be even worse, so I'm not complaining too much.

Actually, I'm from Poland, I was just comparing UK prices because the disparity is less ridiculous, and presumably more people on the forum have experience with the UK. :v:

Looking at Jaguars, which is what I have experience with: the base XF, so the cheapest you can buy at the moment, in the US starts at $50,175 - 98% of yearly median income in the US.

In Poland, that same model starts at $63536 - 6.13 times the median annual income.

Obviously it's a luxury brand, but the thing is it's a lot more expensive even at absolute prices. Mind you, part of that is marketing strategy, since they want to appeal to people who want an expensive car. They would actually sell worse here if they were cheaper. Jags are an extreme example, but a lot of other cars have a similar disparity with the actual absolute price being higher even not taking into account purchasing power.

It's hard to be a car enthusiast in a country with prices like these, and super inflated used car prices too. That's part of why I want to move to the UK. In the UK you can get a used car for a couple thousand pounds and it will run. Not so over here. And if you want a cool classic that sells for bargain prices in the US or UK, you better be rich.

Basically the only cheap used cars over here are clapped out 3 series BMWs. No one wants them, because everyone hates BMW drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

This seems to be the appropriate thread. A tech shows you the myriad of ways you can do things like open the door and pop the hood on the i8 without breaking the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNKiTrX0Vk

I like the part about how the emergency manual door release lever was the most common thing to be broken during testing. Well this thing sure seems to be breaking a lot during our testing, so you better learn to not do that!

Hahaha..."You need 2 people to open the hood." "....why?"

Do you think in 10 years we will be calling people morons for posting about buying one of these used?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Cyrezar posted:

Hahaha..."You need 2 people to open the hood." "....why?"

Do you think in 10 years we will be calling people morons for posting about buying one of these used?

I doubt the DIY types will be buying this car used at any point. This is 100% a dealer serviced car.

I also want one so loving bad it almost makes me forget about having a track car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
European car prices get completely strange once you start lumping in taxes. The carcos clearly have less room to maneuver when the buyer has to deal with taxes that may double or more the final sale cost. One would have to imagine the dealer franchise setup is different as well. It all makes Euro vs US price comparisons rather apples-to-oranges for the same car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I also want one so loving bad it almost makes me forget about having a track car.
I'd agree if the powertrain was all electric with gas only for range extension. But its not.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Throatwarbler posted:

This seems to be the appropriate thread. A tech shows you the myriad of ways you can do things like open the door and pop the hood on the i8 without breaking the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNKiTrX0Vk

I like the part about how the emergency manual door release lever was the most common thing to be broken during testing. Well this thing sure seems to be breaking a lot during our testing, so you better learn to not do that!

We have hit peak German engineering.

I can't wait for the lawsuit after someone drowns or burns to death in one because that lovely little door latch broke off while they were trying to evacuate in an emergency situation.

The worst part is that no matter much poo poo they pull with options packaging fuckery or releasing half a dozen stupid variants of a single model in an attempt to boost volume (First comes the 4 to replace the 3 coupe, but now there's a 4 sedan because reasons) BMW is still the only German manufacturer I sort of like and respect just because their cars are all RWD based with a correct longitudinal engine layout and manuals are available more often than not. Of course they seem to be intent on going further down-market with that new FWD 1-series bullshit and diluting the brand but whatever.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's supposed to be a production car? Who do they think they're fooling? Production cars don't break if you try to open the hood without two specially trained technicians. "There's no reason they would ever need to open the hood outside the shop." That sounds like BMW's 20 year design goal, no user serviceable parts.

Don't quote me on this, but the Corvette has electrically actuated doors. With a mechanical backup. And they said it was somehow lighter to do it that way. No push rods, locking mechanisms, lock indicator, key tumbler, etc. Just a simple actuator. The emerg release was down near the floor for some probably related reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ziploc posted:

Don't quote me on this, but the Corvette has electrically actuated doors. With a mechanical backup. And they said it was somehow lighter to do it that way. No push rods, locking mechanisms, lock indicator, key tumbler, etc. Just a simple actuator. The emerg release was down near the floor for some probably related reason.

What do you do if you're stuck on the outside? I think this has been answered before for the Corvette but I forgot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

What do you do if you're stuck on the outside? I think this has been answered before for the Corvette but I forgot.

There is a key that pops out of your fob to open the back hatch, and there's a mechanical door pull in there as well, i'll try to find the vid.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

on a mclaren MP4-12C, that is deep inside one of the side air intakes. The last thing the car does before the battery goes dead is lowers the windows a bit so they don't pop when you open the door.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There is a key that pops out of your fob to open the back hatch, and there's a mechanical door pull in there as well, i'll try to find the vid.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

on a mclaren MP4-12C, that is deep inside one of the side air intakes. The last thing the car does before the battery goes dead is lowers the windows a bit so they don't pop when you open the door.

Or at least it's supposed to. It's a British supercar, so it may instead just burst into flames or something else self-destructive.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Or at least it's supposed to. It's a British supercar, so it may instead just burst into flames or something else self-destructive.

It's British, not Italian.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Basically the only cheap used cars over here are clapped out 3 series BMWs. No one wants them, because everyone hates BMW drivers.

This is the reason for "German enginnering". The vast majority of cars in eastern europe are used german imports because most people here can't afford a new car. This keeps the resale value high so the first owners are likely to sell the car before having to deal with the interior peeling/engine grenading/every part being a wear item. Now 80's to mid 90's Mercs are absolutely bulletproof and Audi/BMW/VWs were at worst not much shittier than the competition, but they definitely haven't kept up with the rest of the world. Dad got a used 2004 or so A4 diesel a while ago and needs to swap out the control arms that were mentioned a few pages back :v:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Arzachel posted:

This is the reason for "German enginnering". The vast majority of cars in eastern europe are used german imports because most people here can't afford a new car. This keeps the resale value high so the first owners are likely to sell the car before having to deal with the interior peeling/engine grenading/every part being a wear item. Now 80's to mid 90's Mercs are absolutely bulletproof and Audi/BMW/VWs were at worst not much shittier than the competition, but they definitely haven't kept up with the rest of the world. Dad got a used 2004 or so A4 diesel a while ago and needs to swap out the control arms that were mentioned a few pages back :v:

Having never owned a German car (or any car from the 2000s). Ive been pretty impressed with the interior build quality of my 03 M3. Outside of the peeling parts (which I am vinyl warping) there aren't really any rattles. Taking things apart, the number of seals and foam parts to keep things quiet is quite impressive. Clearly a lot of money is put into it that could otherwise be cut out. I have a friend with an 01 325 and his trim actually looks really good still, so I assume it depends on the trim package as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Also loved that you need to wait a minute for the fuel door to pop open!

I think that's A Thing on the Chevy Volt as well - I'm guessing they keep the fuel tank extremely well-sealed compared to a regular car since they're trying to make E10/E15 gasoline stay good for up to a year without adding in any stabilizers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New f-150 performance specs out

ecoboost is the same gets 12,200lb SAE J2807 rated towing and 3180lb max payload.

5.0 is up to 385hp/387ft/lb and rated for a max of 3300lb payload which absolutely crushes everything including the 5.7 ram 2500s 3,030lb payload and the cummins ram 2500s 3140lb payload capacity.

Basically, you can configure an f-150 to carry the weight of 2 smart cars.

edit: but it's still not built from fuckin submarines.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I can't imagine the ride quality is very good with a payload limit that high, but still that is pretty impressive.

Too bad it's made of beer cans.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

ecoboost is the same gets 12,200lb SAE J2807 rated towing and 3180lb max payload.

5.0 is up to 385hp/387ft/lb and rated for a max of 3300lb payload which absolutely crushes everything including the 5.7 ram 2500s 3,030lb payload and the cummins ram 2500s 3140lb payload capacity.

So basically you'll be able to add a 3rd bag of mulch the one time a year you put anything in the bed?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Powershift posted:

If only the bed was big enough to fit a Miata. Trailerless towing. :getin:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Well to be fair, the payload/tow rating dick waving with pickups is no dumber than people caring about the power in a new Mustang or Corvette.

It's just bench racing of a different stripe.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
3300lb bed capacity but you'd throw out your back lifting everything 6 feet up to get it into the bed. Thanks stupid truck design.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Christobevii3 posted:

3300lb bed capacity but you'd throw out your back lifting everything 6 feet up to get it into the bed. Thanks stupid truck design.

Have you tried putting down the tailgate?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

Have you tried putting down the tailgate?

I'm 5'7" and that would still be drat near chest high.

It was really easy to load things into my old S-10 with a 6 inch drop. Until I hacked the bed up to bag it anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Well to be fair, the payload/tow rating dick waving with pickups is no dumber than people caring about the power in a new Mustang or Corvette.

It's just bench racing of a different stripe.

You're dumb. Get out. Stay out.

fknlo posted:

So basically you'll be able to add a 3rd bag of mulch the one time a year you put anything in the bed?

No, it means you can now take a full pallet of sandblasting sand. meaning no more throwing bags.

Or a full 275 gallon water tote

or a full pallet of decorative rock.

This is the kind of poo poo that led me to DD a long box dually for a year for. All 20 second 0-60 and 14mpg of it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that's A Thing on the Chevy Volt as well - I'm guessing they keep the fuel tank extremely well-sealed compared to a regular car since they're trying to make E10/E15 gasoline stay good for up to a year without adding in any stabilizers.

99% of the time, the door is ready on mine by the time I push the button and get to the fuel door.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fknlo posted:

You're doing it wrong if you don't overload it *and* driving on tires with separating tread.

:cry:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fuel tank is actually positive-pressure. It's mostly for evaporative emissions compliance, but it also keeps moisture out of the tank, and keeps the (terrible, bullshit, shouldn't-be-loving-subsidized-anymore) corngas from going bad.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Powershift posted:

No, it means you can now take a full pallet of sandblasting sand. meaning no more throwing bags.

Or enough osage-orange to cremate 1870lbs of human remains!

(I got into a weird conversation and did some even weirder research, don't judge me)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that led me to DD a long box dually for a year for. All 20 second 0-60 and 14mpg of it.
But is the bed wide enough to carry a pallet between the wheel wells?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

But is the bed wide enough to carry a pallet between the wheel wells?

yes. that's what it is designed for. A standard pallet is 48" x 40", the f-150 is 50" between the wheelwells. The 6.5' box has shrunk a bit, but it used to have an 80' long floor so you could haul 2 pallets with the tailgate closed. the latest ones are like an inch short :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

yes. that's what it is designed for. A standard pallet is 48" x 40", the f-150 is 50" between the wheelwells. The 6.5' box has shrunk a bit, but it used to have an 80' long floor so you could haul 2 pallets with the tailgate closed. the latest ones are like an inch short :argh:
Now thats just dumb.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Now thats just dumb.

Even worse, the new dodge "regular" box is 6'4", and only has a 76" load floor. no more loading stacks of pallets with a forklift, you gotta lay the stacks down to fully utilize the box.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

The impression I get from truck commercials is this only works if the load is dumped into the bed by a crane or front end loader from like twenty feet up

Also this last half-page or so is exhibit A in how absurdly overgrown the half-ton pickup class has gotten.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Hahaha that's so adorable. :allears:

You think people actually haul anything in the backs of their trucks.

E: the heaviest load most half-tons ever carry in their entire lives is the lardasses taking up cargo space in the front of the cab.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This conversation has led me to lookup the different classes of trucks... and I finally learned the naming scheme behind ford trucks (besides bigger number = bigger). Goddamnit, I'm so dumb. :doh:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Powershift posted:

You would think you would hear more real truck people raising a stink about it. That's sounds like such a massive pain in the rear end.

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 1, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hahaha that's so adorable. :allears:

You think people actually haul anything in the backs of their trucks.

E: the heaviest load most half-tons ever carry in their entire lives is the lardasses taking up cargo space in the front of the cab.

And the only sport most sports cars see is the track suit of their owner. Does this mean sports cars shouldn't get more sporty, or people who actually flog em shouldn't be excited when a sports cars get faster or better at turning?

You Have the performance pack on your car, and yet you've posted pictures from it where it quite obviously wasn't doing anything performance related, what's up with that?

Thanks to engine and brake improvements, and weight reduction, a half ton can now do the job of a 3/4 ton when needed, while still being as comfortable as a car, and this is a terrible thing because some people don't haul stuff :argh:

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I got to ride in a brand new Uhaul F-150 one or two years ago and the single cab interior space was plenty comfortable for my 6'8 self and the ride was very smooth and quiet. I was very impressed with the truck.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phone posted:

If only the bed was big enough to fit a Miata. Trailerless towing. :getin:

Or a Volvo 240, so you could put more stuff in the wagon!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hot Rod Magazine got their hands on a Z06

0-60 - 2.95 seconds

1/4 mile - 10.95 seconds

:tviv:

Those are for the automatic. If you don't want to cage the car to run at the strip you'll have to buy the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

Hot Rod Magazine got their hands on a Z06

0-60 - 2.95 seconds

1/4 mile - 10.95 seconds

:tviv:

Those are for the automatic. If you don't want to cage the car to run at the strip you'll have to buy the manual.

Was just about to post that.

:aaaaa:

The three second mark has always kind of separated the "really fast" from the "ungodly motherfucking fast." I can't believe we live in an age where an $80k Corvette breaks three seconds.