Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pneub posted:

I think it's because there's so many screenshots on one page.

Wow I didn't see how many update were on one page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
GBA Bonus Run Part 2

Next up on the agenda: getting the Mythril back to Altair.

I'm certain he'll figure out what to do with it. Anyway, after that it's off to Bofsk/Bafsk to destroy the Warship/Dreadnought. (I dunno, are the different names confusing? Does that help?)

Seriously, potions are as precious to this party as agility was for Vivian, at least for now.

Honestly, there's not much to say about the cave in Bafsk. It was filler in the original and it's filler here. However, there are two chests.

The first equipment pick up we get!

And now we can start dual wielding.

Just to show that dual wielding, does in fact, work in this version. You may notice that the other weapon's damage is way worse. Well, it is a worse weapon, and it's in Charlie's non-dominant hand. I didn't mention it before, since this doesn't come into play for unarmed character, but FF2 characters have hand preferences. Mostly this just works to screw you over with Layla/Leila and Dennis, since they're the only southpaws. Interestingly there are no ambidextrous characters.

Oh and Dee gets a bow upgrade.

Gosh who could you be?

I gotta mention Borghen also gets some pretty swanky portraits too.

They make a little cutscene here for the Dreadnought taking off. There's a couple of cutscenes like this in the remake. Again, nice but not fancy.

Since there's no reason not to, I'm gonna grab the pass. Yes, killing the captain still works, and I may do that anyway, but in case that turns out to be really difficult I've got another option.

Oh, and Mac got the first magic defense level of the game! I mentioned the growth formula for magic defense has been changed in this game. Vivian's endgame magic defense level of 13 was very unusual for the original FF2; for a full party it's usually level four to six. Magic defense levels much more slowly in this version, but since we'll actually get magic defense from multi-targeted spells, it'll shoot up once we start facing true spell casters. I'd say normal end game magic defense levels in this version is around six to nine.

After Bafsk, I switched Charlie and Mac's weapons around. I had Charlie practice bows and sit in the back for while, mostly just to get Mac to gain a drat evasion level. That happened in the very next battle, as a matter of fact, so I guess that was a good call. Mac got the Longsword. This was just until they reached level 3 in their respective weapon skills, so in practical terms it was just on the way back to Altair. I really don't think I can overemphasize how you fast you gain levels early on. After training with bows, Charlie starts on axes. I'm basically hoping to get him to at least level three in all weapon types, except for shields. (Can't have two evasion tanking characters; have to maintain some challenge in the game.)

All the towns that got attacked by the Dreadnought actually display damage. That's cool. Anyway, it's time to drop off Minwu. See you in Valhalla buddy.

This is just a random aside, but if you mention the Sunfire to Hilda she'll tell you it's in Kashuon, and to go there, but I never realized what a dick move that was before. If you don't talk to the king you'll probably take Hilda's advice, and while you can go to Kashuon, there's be no reason to. This message is just here to waste your time.

Anyway, I remembered to get the correct keywords, so it's off to pick up Josef.

He won't live, but then again, who does? Anyway, we pick up his snowcraft.

You remember that if you press A and B button a buncha times while on the boat in FF1 you'd trigger a sliding title puzzle? There isn't a similar minigame in the original FF2, but they added one in the remakes. I mentioned this minigame much earlier, but let's actually look at it.

It's a memory game. Once you complete the game, you get a prize depending on how few mistakes you make.

Not bad! Apparently this minigame only has thirty two different solutions that it cycles through in order, so that means on the thirty second try the game is exactly the same. As you might imagine that's abusable as hell. However, right now we'd just get high end consumables. You can get elixirs, though, that's nothing to sneeze at. However, to get the really nice stuff you have to have level 16 toad. I'd argue that level 16 toad is its own reward.

In any case, I don't consider this in-bounds, so I reset.

This is where my party's lower tier equipment starts to really drag me down. Fortunately, icicles are some of the higher defense enemies around, but this may start being a problem.

Otherwise the gang makes it to the snow cavern without issue. It starts pretty smoothly, actually. I only begin with four potions, though, and nothing in this cave drops them, so I still had to be careful.

But here you see the problem. Mac can't make it through the grenade's defense, and the last thing we want is to damage a bomb enemy without killing it. Dee's Fire 2, even multi-targeted, kills them in a hit, but as you can see her MP's at a premium. While I was able to trigger a few MP gains for her, Dee's max is still only 41. That's... not great.

Luckily for me only one of them blew up. That probably should have been my cue to pack this run up and walk out (remember? Teleport's disabled for this dungeon) but I just gave her a potion and kept going.

I forgot Shadows can blind you. I was really annoyed when the vampire thorns kept dropping eye drops instead of potions, but it turns out I shouldn't have been.

More weapons!

Charlie got evasion yay! I did end up going to unarmed for him, since he does more damage that way, but it's a double edged sword (fist?). Remember how fists don't increase evasion percentage? And unlike Vivian he doesn't have seven evade levels to bolster a low percentage, and he didn't start with fifteen agility. I still have him wearing his starting leather armor, but I'm beginning to think that's a mistake. It's minus six evasion for two points of defense. What was I thinking? The armor goes off!

Although maybe if he had his armor on he would have survived that hit. Or maybe if I hadn't been so stingy with the potions. Yeah, this time I did walk out.

Well, first I got all the nearby treasure.

It was protected by a monster. Yeah, probably should have thought this through better. Eh, Dee still has even MP to make the problem go away. Let's hope she has enough to get her and Mac out.

Oh holy crap that's close. Unfortunately, there's only one potion left.

I'm probably going to regret this, but I really didn't wanna wipe here. We are getting the cure tome next dungeon, so hopefully this will break us of our potion reliance. Ha. I am thinking that is an over-optimistic statement.

Whatever, I got back to town. I never showed in the last run, since it doesn't apply to solo character, but in FF2 they dispensed with the clinics and instead have shrines that revive all of your characters for free. That's awesome, although since it revives everyone we have to kill Josef again. Oh well.

And Charlie trains up yet another weapon type. If nothing else, the Mythril Mace is actually a really good weapon for this point of the game. It's crazy, though; that attack with both weapons is just 5 points shy of his unarmed score. Honestly, though, I think I'd rather have the small evasion boost from weapons.

The run back through the snow cavern goes very well.

It definitely helps that at least Mac is getting some decent evasion. Level 3 evasion is going to be pretty good for a while at least. I'd say this dungeon has less enemies with magic, so that helps converse resources. That's especially nice I've only got one potion.

Okay, two.

Another magic tome! Dee still gets it.

Guess what Charlie you're training spears now.

drat it Dual Heads this run was going really well. It's almost as though I should have made sure to get more than a potion when trying to run through this dungeon.

Fortunately I grab another potion out of a chest so Charlie can be healed out of the red. Of course, soon after I was forced to use my last potion. But I soldiered on!

Nice! The Mythril Shield gets two extra to its evasion bonus, and that bring Mac's evasion percent from 39 to 53! Not bad at all! If I take off his armor, that gives him 59%!

Not nearly as nice. While curse would be very good to have right now, this sword is just too inaccurate to bother with. Accuracy was another thing Vivian didn't worry about; fists start at 80% accuracy. Weapons start much lower, around 40% to 60%. The game adds the character's strength to the accuracy score, so at least Mac has decent accuracy.

My party was running a little ragged, but I was feeling good about my chances of finishing this. One more floor!

Oh, and I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention this little gem:

Anyway, Charlie got the Silver Cuirass. He's by far my most fragile member, and the plus ten defense is a pretty big jump in defense for this party. It's unfortunate about the evasion hit, but it's worth it in this case.

Fight time!

I got Dee's Blizzard up to level 2, so she's doing decent damage. Again, they boosted this monster's HP, so it'll take longer than two rounds, but I can make it through this fight.

But then I have Mac use the Antarctic Wind you get in this dungeon, just to make sure. I'm not taking chances.

Now we've got the Goddess Bell, time to walk out. Just one more enemy.

Oh my god gently caress you Borghen.

Go away.

And here you go: the flimsy excuse as to why Josef has to be flattened by a rock.

And least this rock's a lot more impressive. Anyway, we know the drill here; Josef goes squish, and the party are assholes don't tell his daughter, despite being in town. And Charlie manages to survive the way back. Go Charlie.

Next time, I get the cure tome. The beautiful, beautiful Cure tome.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 13, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Camel Pimp posted:

Anyway, I remembered to get the correct keywords, so it's off to pick up Josef.

He won't live, but then again, who does?

I knew it! Joseph is a replicant!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This new run is gonna be fuckin glorious. Gonna do any random challenge with the team of dead people after the main run or will you be going around using Toad/Teleport on everything as soon as you can?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Who are you planning to give Cure to once you get it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Who are you planning to give Cure to once you get it?

Dee is the only one who's been training Soul, so I'm guessing she gets it and does literally all the spellcasting for the group unless they get some duplicate tomes from monster drops.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Cure tome cure tome we're getting the cure tome guys!

GBA Bonus Run #3

Ahem, anyway, it's time to head to castle Cashew.

I guess this sort of run would forbid using Cid's airship service, but... eh... Never really used it in the last run, so I guess I will here.

Admittedly had I just walked I might have gotten more precious items, but... eh.

Eh.

Eh.

Believe it or not, I'm not going to kill off Gordon. Instead, he gets Dee's leftover bow, sits in the back and stays out of the way. I won't bother wasting any resources keeping him alive, mind you. While I did steal his equipment, I don't really see a use for any of it. Mac's evasion is so high he doesn't need armor at the moment, and Charlie needs what little evasion he can get.

And running out and saving, it's time to start exploring the castle.

It's so beautiful.

And the very next battle the game pretends it's funny and drops a potion. Cute.

Of course, now that healing isn't a huge problem anymore, now we run across the problem of status ailments. While I've got about 10 antidotes, and lots of early game monsters drop them, eye drops are another story. Only the vampire thorn drops them right now, and at a 5% drop rate. There's only one other random monster that drops the drops, although at least there are a few in treasure chests. The Shadows inflict blind upon hitting, and we're starting to encounter Ogre Mages and Ghasts, both of which cast blind. This could suck.

The game throws you a bone at this point by providing a shield that protects against poison. Mac also gets another boost to his evasion, bringing him up to 3-70%. Not bad at all! Mac's agility is starting to shoot up as a result.

This dungeon is going way, way more smoothly than any of the dungeon runs thus far. Hell, Dee's barely had to use her fancy new Cure spell!

And the good news keeps coming! There's also a Mythril Sword and Mythril Axe here, so both Charlie and Mac get shiny new weapons!

And this monster right here is what caused everything to start to fall apart. Land Turtles also show up around here, but they're easier to kill. The Adamantoise, on the other hand, requires three level two Blizzards, or two level three Blizzards. Either way, that's a minimum of 6 MP every time one pops up. And if you can run from this monster, it never worked for me. I had Dee throw her magic around a bit, not thinking that these guys would be a problem. This is an interesting case of the remake's rebalancing loving me over. If this monster had the same amount of HP as it did in the original it'd probably only take 4 MP or, which believe me is substantial when you keep running into them. And no, this remake doesn't really change how you get MP; it's still a pain in the rear end.

Not bad, although frankly Mac's better off with the Golden Shield. They have the same evasion bonus anyway.

Woo. I just get this out of obligation, honestly. Gotta fight a monster in a box, but it probably won't be that-

Oh, that can be a problem. Now, Dee can take them out one at a time quite easily... but that'd be 4 MP per enemy and gently caress that. If Charlie and Mac concentrate on one enemy at a time, they can take it out in a turn, so that's probably the best course. It seems like they redid how the balloon monsters work. It seems like they'll only cast self-destruct when you do damage them, rather than in the original where they'll cast it frequently but it'll only work when they're damaged. They also seem to self destruct less often in this version.

Despite all the roadblocks, I managed to get to the boss with only 2 MP left. Some of you may always start to see the problem here.

Thanks for that Ogre Mages.

Actually, I wanted to run into Ogre Mages. They're one of the first enemies that drop spell tomes.

In any case, the Red Soul is just a formality boss. Dee uses up the last of her MP to bring Charlie back from the brink, and I throw a potion on Dee. Gordon dies but who cares. Before too long the Red Soul uses up its MP, and my fighters take the chump down pretty soon after. No sweat.

Or so I thought. You see, for whatever reason I was under the impression the game had something that warped you out here. I am stupid and it doesn't. And Dee doesn't have MP for a teleport. I'm starting to think that maybe piling all my spells on one character was a mistake.

Well, I wasn't dead yet. Let's just walk out and hope.

Oh gently caress you.

Actually, Charlie picked up a Blizzard tome from the Ogre Mages. So Charlie can get us out of this mess!

Nope.

So you'd think I'm dead here, but what actually happened is more insidious. You see, Mac has an evasion of 3-70% or around, remember? The Adamantoise can't kill him. But Mac and Dee can't really damage it either. We're at a stalemate. Technically, I can hope for critical hits. Critical hits add the character's attack score to damage roll, and that bonus ignores defense, so I could eventually kill this thing.

gently caress. That. I reset.

Oh, I never encountered one in the previous run, but here is the highest tier goblin enemy, the goblin prince. They're absurdly rare enemies, considering that they're not particularly notable otherwise. They can cast sleep and can drop potions, and that's all you can say about them.

I was hoping to do one run straight through, but just so I was sure not to repeat the last attempt I warped out here. Time to head back to town.

They made the chocobo forest a lot easier to find this time around. Anyway, once I inned I hitched another ride back to the castle.

This next run through the castle went really well. I had to fight the mines again, and Dee spent some MP on that, but otherwise she kept her MP up. Fewer Adamantoises spawned, and I encountered more Ogre Mages.

Both of these go to Charlie, actually. I plan on giving him most of the buff/debuff spells. Any extras will go to Dee, and I did get an extra Blind. I don't really see needing blind, since I've got insta-death spells in play, but if I want it I have it.

SON OF A BITCH!

And guess what? I had only had one eye drop left. Fuuuuuck. I don't wanna warp out this was going so well!

There's actually some good news here. In this version, being blinded doesn't prevent you from gaining levels and stats. That's a huuuuge weight off my shoulders. Mac, being my evasion tank, gets the eye drop. I just kept going.

As luck has it, I had forgotten that there is some treasure behind this door.

That was unbelievably lucky. There was also an antidote and a mallet, which cures amnesia/permanent silence. Definitely not a bad idea to keep this stuff on hand. The eye drop goes to Charlie.

The Red Soul remains a chump. Also, Dee has enough MP for teleport. Yay!

THANK YOU.

Finally, I got to warp out and save. This time around I knew better than to walk back to Altair without picking up the sunflame.

Once you get the sunflame you see the Dreadnought capture the princess again, but this time in pixel-arty goodness.

Heh. That makes me laugh every time I see it.

Anywho, we're need to go back to town to rest up. However, Dee's still blinded. Like in Final Fantasy 1 the inn does not cure status ailments. Hm, what to do about Dee's blindness? Now, in Sullla's run he allowed purchase of items in town to cure current status ailments, and only as many items as needed to cure the ailments, since there are very few of those items in chests and enemies don't drop items in FF1. Enemies do drop items here, but if I wanted a eye drop I'd fight for a while. I really, really would prefer to avoid any sort of grinding if at all possible. Hrm. Do I allow the purchase of a single eye drop, do I grind for one, or do I just ignore it because I don't really care about Dee's attack and evasion.

Actually, I have a very roundabout solution.

Kill Dee.

Bring her back.

Viola! No more blind!

...yeah, you can go a little too far in trying to maintain the rules of a challenge run. Next time, I'm just gonna buy the eye drop.

Since we've got time, to the Dreadnought!

A magician dropped a Fire tome and Mac got some magic defense, and that's all there is to say about the trip to the flying boat of evil.

I don't even have to do this. I just want to.

Didn't stick on the first time (and the captain got Charlie good in the meantime!) but the second time was the charm.

Although I do have to run back to town now. At least that gives more opportunities to fight magicians and ogre mages and get more spells. Got Aero/Scourge on the way!

Much like the Ancient Sword this would be worth using if it didn't have such piss-poor accuracy. I did get something from this, though. I fought two magicians and a sergeant for it, and what did I get from that battle?

Oh lovely. Obviously the real catch is Berserk, but the Mage's Staff is a pretty good weapon, actually. It's stronger than the Werebuster, so it's worth switching to. (I didn't because I'm stupid, but it is a good weapon!)

Sadly, I just don't see a use for this. This inflict blind and like the other status inflicting weapons has little accuracy. Dee really needs a bow upgrade, but I'd rather use a bow that can hit something, you know?

This, however, I can use. This goes to Charlie. While they did remove spellcasting penalties from shields and weapons, they didn't from armor. So Charlie's not gonna be worth much as a spellcaster right now. At this moment I just want to help his lagging evasion, and this brings him up to 2-36%.

If you recall, once we rescue Hilda we have to complete the dungeon. So will this dungeon be the first one the party completes in one go? Well, it kind of has to be. Whether we beat it on the first go is the question.

There's also two more chests, one with a hi-potion. Not so vital anymore, but still nice to get a new one, especially since it was a potion in the original.

Yay!

While Dee got the first Berserk tome, the game smiled on me and I ended up getting four of them throughout the whole dungeon. That's enough to give Charlie and even Gordon one. Also, the Thunder tome allows Dee to round out her elemental spells.

And the awesome pick-up train keeps rolling. Sadly, Charlie doesn't have any knife skill yet, so he'll be gimped for a few battles. The chest next to the knife is the Trident, and Charlie wields that, too.

Out of all these treasure, the one I don't want is the ice shield, and it's the one trapped! None of my fighters can scratch the Hill Gigas without berserk, but guess what I've got.

Although even with berserk Charlie ain't doing so well. I probably shouldn't have had him fight this battle with a weapon he's not trained in. Mostly everyone just flails their weapons and hopes for a critical hit while Dee heals Charlie whenever he's hit. Eventually they take the gigas down.

And finally, I'm actually going to have Mac wear this. His evasion's high enough he can take the hit, and the plus ten to strength is worth the trade off, I think.

By this point, there's only one more floor and these guys can clear it with no problems. Honestly, the Dreadnought was easy. The mages could wear the party down a bit, but as long as Dee's got enough MP kicking around for Cure that's not a problem. Wererats and Werepanthers can poison, but they have to hit to poison, meaning they only ever poisoned Charlie. And they did it infrequently enough that I never came close to running out of antidotes. The one major fear I had was the ghasts, who can cast blind. There wasn't much I could do about them but to just kill them first and hope they never cast the spell. And they didn't.

Really, my major disappointment is that I didn't get Berserk higher than level 2 and Dee didn't get an MP increase.

This time the party actually runs out of the ship, rather than... slideshow out.

And with the big mean old warship destroyed and the rebels having achieved... nothing, really, in the long term, we stop for today.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

With the power of Blink and Berserk, you're pretty well set to destroy the game now. Well, aside from that whole lack of MP thing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
My friend. Grind. Hard. Grind it to dust and teabag the game hard. SHOW THE GAME WHO THE BOSS IS!

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Each update needs the title cards of Always Sunny. Could've obviously named this episode "Mac kills Dee".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Even in a full-party run you can't help but kill off your own characters.

Interesting run so far. Seems to require a bit more thought and strategy than the solo run. Now I want to try a Treasure Hunter/Live Off the Land run in some of the other FF games.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Interesting run so far. Seems to require a bit more thought and strategy than the solo run. Now I want to try a Treasure Hunter/Live Off the Land run in some of the other FF games.

Hm, that's an interesting thought! I can't imagine a living off the land challenge would be that hard in FF4/5/6, mainly because those games are far more forgiving to begin with. You would be somewhat restricted in FF5, since only Summoners can really cast anything, but it's not like you don't have a million other ways to break FF5. FF6 is similarly easy. FF4 might be difficult at times, since you can't break FF4 quite as thoroughly, but apart from Cecil's class change and Edge's throw stock being limited you'd probably wouldn't have that many problems. FF3's another story, though. Now I'm not as familiar with FF3, but I do know you'd be cut off from spell casting, apart from some late game summons. You could at least get by with item drops and steals. I imagine it'd get really hard by the end of the game, since usually you get the Cloud of Darkness by either Flare or Shuriken spam, neither of which would be terribly viable.

EDIT: I forgot you do get spells in FF3! Not a lot, though, and I believe you only get them very early on, so it'd be outdated very quickly.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 30, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Ff5 is always good for challenge runs. Course you need to ban chemist, monk, summoner, samurai and ranger to make it a challenge run.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Hm, that's an interesting thought! I can't imagine a living off the land challenge would be that hard in FF4/5/6, mainly because those games are far more forgiving to begin with. You would be somewhat restricted in FF5, since only Summoners can really cast anything, but it's not like you don't have a million other ways to break FF5. FF6 is similarly easy. FF4 might be difficult at times, since you can't break FF4 quite as thoroughly, but apart from Cecil's class change and Edge's throw stock being limited you'd probably wouldn't have that many problems. FF3's another story, though. Now I'm not as familiar with FF3, but I do know you'd be cut off from spell casting, apart from some late game summons. You could at least get by with item drops and steals. I imagine it'd get really hard by the end of the game, since usually you get the Cloud of Darkness by either Flare or Shuriken spam, neither of which would be terribly viable.

EDIT: I forgot you do get spells in FF3! Not a lot, though, and I believe you only get them very early on, so it'd be outdated very quickly.

I think FF4 would be relatively easy. You get absolutely showered with equipment from chests and you pretty much always have a true White Mage so healing isn't killer.

Actually, I think one of the most interesting and difficult ones would be FF9. Since equipment is directly linked with your abilities, you'd have huge gaps in your ability lists. And unlike most FF's, a large proportion of the best equipment actually comes from (synth) shops, so your actual damage and armor wouldn't be top-tier either.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

MagusofStars posted:

I think FF4 would be relatively easy. You get absolutely showered with equipment from chests and you pretty much always have a true White Mage so healing isn't killer.

Actually, I think one of the most interesting and difficult ones would be FF9. Since equipment is directly linked with your abilities, you'd have huge gaps in your ability lists. And unlike most FF's, a large proportion of the best equipment actually comes from (synth) shops, so your actual damage and armor wouldn't be top-tier either.

Until you Steal from every boss and only have to worry about a few choice synths and just have Vivi blow everything up since most of his best spells come from chest/steal weapons.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Shwqa posted:

Ff5 is always good for challenge runs. Course you need to ban chemist, monk, summoner, samurai and ranger to make it a challenge run.

...and also ban any other caster and the bard and the ninja and then let the monk back in because they're...not great past the halfway point of world 1.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Krumbsthumbs posted:

...and also ban any other caster and the bard and the ninja and then let the monk back in because they're...not great past the halfway point of world 1.

Then just play a Full Berserker Party.
Because that just stops being fun when you excise a full half/three quarters of choice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

You get Cura and the Black Magic -ra spells free, plus I think a couple of Cure tomes. I think the main problem is not getting the higher-tier Cure spells, as the best strategy with Cloud of Darkness is having two Sages spamming Curaja the entire battle while the Ninjas attack/throw Elixirs.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

Until you Steal from every boss and only have to worry about a few choice synths and just have Vivi blow everything up since most of his best spells come from chest/steal weapons.

Actually, according to the FAQs, it looks like the only one of Vivi's high-end spells available without visiting a shop is Doomsday, conveniently located halfway through the final dungeon. Level 3 elemental spells, Break, Demi, Comet, Meteor, and Osmose are all ONLY available via shops or synth. So basically, you better love the spells you get in Disc 1, because you literally learn no new magic from then on until the very end of Disc 4.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Actually, according to the FAQs, it looks like the only one of Vivi's high-end spells available without visiting a shop is Doomsday, conveniently located halfway through the final dungeon. Level 3 elemental spells, Break, Demi, Comet, Meteor, and Osmose are all ONLY available via shops or synth. So basically, you better love the spells you get in Disc 1, because you literally learn no new magic from then on until the very end of Disc 4.

Nah, you can get Meteor and Osmose from a Chocograph.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

MagusofStars posted:

Bio and Stop are all you need for pretty much 90% of that game.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FFT would be either really easy or really hard depending on if you allowed steal and move-find item. Even then, there's not really that much that's dependent on items and things like naked monk runs are entirely doable (unless you overlevel and get stuck fighting a dozen red chocobos in Finath River).

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The challenge of a LOTL run for FF5 would depend almost entirely on what classes or other restrictions you use. Blue magic is pretty much just made for this sort of thing, and stealing can get you a lot of good equipment, often before you can buy it anyway.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I don't believe you get any black or white magic beside frog, libra, flare, and holy. Blue magic is powerful but not very damaging end game. Bard sucks in normal non-undead fights. And while bard are amazing for bosses they take forever to buff the team so you might as well not buff. I don't see ninja being too great. Scrolls aren't common drops and their equipment seem kinda rare to find.

As for monks, they destroy world 1 without need for equipment. So trivializing almost 40% of the run seems to take the fun out the challenge.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Shwqa posted:

I don't believe you get any black or white magic beside frog, libra, flare, and holy. Blue magic is powerful but not very damaging end game. Bard sucks in normal non-undead fights. And while bard are amazing for bosses they take forever to buff the team so you might as well not buff. I don't see ninja being too great. Scrolls aren't common drops and their equipment seem kinda rare to find.

As for monks, they destroy world 1 without need for equipment. So trivializing almost 40% of the run seems to take the fun out the challenge.

Look at this wrong person. Bards can shut down almost every random battle completely, and turn most fights into a joke. If anything, they're not very good against most bosses, since it takes too long to buff up, as you noted. Blue Mage can turn almost the whole game into a cakewalk. Ninja gear isn't that hard to find, and both Twin Lances and the Chicken Knife can be found.

I'd say Chemist wouldn't be worth it, since you wouldn't be able to buy any of their reagents or their !Drink potions. So unless you plan on grinding for ungodly hours trying to get drops of Potions, Phoenix Downs, Antidotes, Maiden's Kisses, etc. they would be pretty worthless.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress it, freelancers only.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
FF6 would be pretty hilarious (in a not-so-fun way) for LOTL. Not only is most of the game's best equipment in chests or dropped to begin with, the entire thing pretty much falls apart the instant the Narshe treasure house is accessible because there's at least one Earring there. Slap that on Gau, and then once espers are unlocked on basically anybody, and the whole rest of the game is on cruise control. You barely need anything you find in stores anyway, and can scrounge together enough gear to make at least 2-3 people mostly unkillable.

Of course one of the hardest FFs for LOTL is going to be FF8 unless Draw->Stock or playing cards is legal (which doesn't really sound like the spirit of the challenge to me). I guess draw points would be okay, but have fun with that poo poo. It might be sorta okay if you can only refine items you earn and not cards, but that would still eventually get pretty goddamn easy.

Actually wait, I take that back: FFXII would be aggravating because there's practically nothing you can find. It might not even actually be possible even if you permitted the entire License Board because you can't really buy spells. I think IZJS lets you find spells in chests, so that might be marginally doable. And I guess you'd have the Zodiac Spear if you could somehow get there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, you can get Meteor and Osmose from a Chocograph.

Pretty much any FF9 challenge would have to ban or heavily limit Chocobo Hot and Cold. I mean, with enough poopsocking you can grind out Robes of Lords and Promist Rings for everyone as soon as the game is available.

Nakar posted:

Actually wait, I take that back: FFXII would be aggravating because there's practically nothing you can find. It might not even actually be possible even if you permitted the entire License Board because you can't really buy spells. I think IZJS lets you find spells in chests, so that might be marginally doable. And I guess you'd have the Zodiac Spear if you could somehow get there.

IZJS changes this drastically, you can usually find equipment that is a level higher than what would be available in stores if you know where to look and have enough patience.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 30, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much any FF9 challenge would have to ban or heavily limit Chocobo Hot and Cold.
This sounds like the worst challenge.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much any FF9 challenge would have to ban or heavily limit Chocobo Hot and Cold. I mean, with enough poopsocking you can grind out Robes of Lords and Promist Rings for everyone as soon as the game is available.

As someone who didn't bother with it because it sounded boring as hell his first playhrough, I can tell you it definitely raises the difficulty if you avoid it altogether.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"No grinding for points" probably wouldn't be unreasonable. Consider that anyone with a Robe of Lords equipped would be immune to most physical damage until some point in the 3rd disc, due to the way the game calculates damage.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fister Roboto posted:

IZJS changes this drastically, you can usually find equipment that is a level higher than what would be available in stores if you know where to look and have enough patience.
You could also make a party of Monks (and mages or something) and goonstomp your way through with unarmed attacks, I'd imagine. Aren't unarmed attacks better in IZJS compared to the License Board version in the original?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

FFT would be really easy just because enemies can always turn into boxes that get you current-level gear assuming that you're not ridiculously underlevelled. Failing that, Monks and Ninjas can still blow through the game without many issues whatsoever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Mega64 posted:

You get Cura and the Black Magic -ra spells free, plus I think a couple of Cure tomes. I think the main problem is not getting the higher-tier Cure spells, as the best strategy with Cloud of Darkness is having two Sages spamming Curaja the entire battle while the Ninjas attack/throw Elixirs.

Dragoon with a blood lance/holy lance combo can solo that thing.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yukari posted:

FFT would be really easy just because enemies can always turn into boxes that get you current-level gear assuming that you're not ridiculously underlevelled. Failing that, Monks and Ninjas can still blow through the game without many issues whatsoever.

The more I think about it the real challenge would be to ONLY use gear you buy yourself in shops (excepting the tutorial battle since you can't de-equip people at that point, unless you just happen to roll a party that all has equip change on). Shop gear gets quickly outpaced soon after it's available if you're not grinding a ton.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Roflex posted:

FFT would be either really easy or really hard depending on if you allowed steal and move-find item. Even then, there's not really that much that's dependent on items and things like naked monk runs are entirely doable (unless you overlevel and get stuck fighting a dozen red chocobos in Finath River).

Move-find item is picking up items from treasure chests inside the ground. That's about as textbook "Living off the Land" as you can get. That said, it probably wouldn't make that big of a difference either way, because Move-Find only really comes into play in Chapter 4, when you've already been able to scrounge up a bunch of decent items from enemy drops and stripping Guests/specials.

And frankly, as with all things in FFT, if you really struggled, you could just use Math Skill+Orlandu, and cheese everything.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Look at this wrong person. Bards can shut down almost every random battle completely, and turn most fights into a joke. If anything, they're not very good against most bosses, since it takes too long to buff up, as you noted. Blue Mage can turn almost the whole game into a cakewalk. Ninja gear isn't that hard to find, and both Twin Lances and the Chicken Knife can be found.

I'd say Chemist wouldn't be worth it, since you wouldn't be able to buy any of their reagents or their !Drink potions. So unless you plan on grinding for ungodly hours trying to get drops of Potions, Phoenix Downs, Antidotes, Maiden's Kisses, etc. they would be pretty worthless.

Shoot I forgot about the bard stop song, but really who cares the normal mobs are easy enough. Ff5 is easy enough on its own. Really any number of classes breaks the game with chicken knife. Without chicken knife or brave blade it is still easy to beat the game with a few knights and few buffing classes. Even a freelance only LOTL challenge isn't too hard. That killer axes and cure rod beat about half the game. Ribbon and aegis shield beat the rest.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Can you get enough in stats from just the Crystarium to avoid leveling up any equipment in FFXIII? I seem to recall the boosts to Strength/Magic are enormous from weapons. You do find accessories so those would be fair game I guess.

I suppose Lightning Returns is also pretty easy with LOTL. It'd be annoying to not buy new Garbs or upgrade skills but you can get higher-level skills as late-game drops and gear from some enemies so it's not impossible. Might be a slight challenge if you also imposed a single-cycle Hard run from scratch, but probably still doable for a player who knows how to hit up all the quests in the right order.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Do it with Bravely Default and hate your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

bathroomrage posted:

Do it with Bravely Default and hate your life

Now that's just evil. Just off the top of my head, that automatically makes at least 1/3 of the jobs either worthless or much harder to use (Black Mage, White Mage, Time Mage, Red Mage, Arcanist, Spiritualist, Magic Knight) just from being unable to buy magic. Combined with only being able to use equipment found out in the world... :psyboom:

• Locked thread