Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Well, got my Pathfinder Pawns Bestiary Box 1 in. The sorta stickied on artwork on the box was kinda coming off on the inside, so I had to tape it down. Then the first cardboard cutout (Earth Elemental) that I grabbed had the lamination rip off as I popped it out, so I had to tape that too. That's pretty lovely Paizo step up your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Rules question. If a wizard has a bonded object (instead of a familiar), she can cast one spell per day that she has written in her spell book, but can't be used on opposition schools. Suppose a wizard chose say, enchantment as an opposition school at first level, but then later on took Opposition Research in enchantment. Can she cast an enchantment spell with her bonded object?

It seems RAW that it might be "no", but I'm not sure if that's the actual intent.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Axiem posted:

Rules question. If a wizard has a bonded object (instead of a familiar), she can cast one spell per day that she has written in her spell book, but can't be used on opposition schools. Suppose a wizard chose say, enchantment as an opposition school at first level, but then later on took Opposition Research in enchantment. Can she cast an enchantment spell with her bonded object?

It seems RAW that it might be "no", but I'm not sure if that's the actual intent.

By RAW, no. Opposition Research doesn't actually remove Enchantment as an opposed school, it just obviates the penalties. You just have an opposed school that has no penalties attached beyond being an opposed school.

I would personally allow the wizard to cast an enchantment spell with their bonded object, since that seems to be the intent of opposition research (and even if it does boost the Wizard's power but whatever, coming down on this particular thing seems dumb and petty :v:).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Axiem posted:

Technically speaking, Opposition Research says nothing about removing the school from your list of opposed schools, it just mitigates the base penalties of it being an opposed school. So RAW you still can't use that slot to cast an enchantment spell.

RAI? Who the gently caress knows, it's Paizo.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
With the way Paizo works, I wouldn't be surprised if opinion was split 50/50 on what the RAI would be there.
But yeah strictly RAW it doesn't. Presumably there's a reason they phrased that feat as removing the penalty instead of just saying "lose one of your opposition schools."

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I have a what if question... For wands, it says that... "Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list"...I'm wondering when the Normally falls away, or how exactly it applies?

I want to play as a Sorceror (Starting at level 5) and use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You must have the spell on your class spell list, have a class or race or feat or etc which specifically states it removes that restriction for the spell you're attempting to cast through a wand, or make a successful DC 20 Use Magic Device check (which can't be attempted untrained, note).

The simplest way would just be to take UMD. It's a class skill for Sorcerers, and assuming 18+ Charisma you should have a greater than 50% chance to activate it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or be a samsaran and add cure light wounds from the bard spell list

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

You must have the spell on your class spell list, have a class or race or feat or etc which specifically states it removes that restriction for the spell you're attempting to cast through a wand, or make a successful DC 20 Use Magic Device check (which can't be attempted untrained, note).

The simplest way would just be to take UMD. It's a class skill for Sorcerers, and assuming 18+ Charisma you should have a greater than 50% chance to activate it.

So then, there's no particular restriction for a Sorceror, it's just "harder"? While a Cleric can just say they're using the spell and have it work, I need to beat a DC20 check, and then it just works?

EDIT: Also, what effect does something being a "Class Skill" have? Does it mean I start with ranks in it (and the cap is still my HD) or is it some kind of extra bonus, or is it something else entirely?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 6, 2014

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

A class skill gets a +3 bonus if it has any ranks in it. The total number of ranks is still capped at your hit dice, but otherwise, there is no maximum or minimum on the total modifier of any particular skill.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I need to beat a DC20 check, and then it just works?

You need to make the check each time you use the wand, but otherwise yes, it just works.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gensuki posted:

I have a what if question... For wands, it says that... "Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list"...I'm wondering when the Normally falls away, or how exactly it applies?

I want to play as a Sorceror (Starting at level 5) and use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds...

As an option you can always take a Wand of Infernal Healing.. For out of combat healing you'll get statistically double the healing from an infernal healing wand than you would from Cure Light Wounds. The only advantages that CLW has is a few good/silver aligned restrictions on what you can heal, the fact that you detect as evil while being healed, and the fact that it is a minute per 10 HP while a CLW could heal faster at the cost of more charges.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Caros posted:

As an option you can always take a Wand of Infernal Healing.. For out of combat healing you'll get statistically double the healing from an infernal healing wand than you would from Cure Light Wounds. The only advantages that CLW has is a few good/silver aligned restrictions on what you can heal, the fact that you detect as evil while being healed, and the fact that it is a minute per 10 HP while a CLW could heal faster at the cost of more charges.

That would also be a lot more expensive, and we only have 10500 gold to start with

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Infernal healing is the same level as clw, the wand would cost the same. Unless I'm missing something?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gensuki posted:

That would also be a lot more expensive, and we only have 10500 gold to start with

Wand of infernal healing is 750, same as a wand of Cure Light Wounds. They are both first level spells.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
My GM wants to start a new campaign but wants is looking for a third party adventure path that spans all 20 levels. We just finished Way of the Wicked and he's looking for 3rd party AP's of similiar quality, any suggestions?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I was looking it up on-line, but I couldn't a lesser one. The normal one says Sorceror level 4? I only have the core rule book for reference.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

I was looking it up on-line, but I couldn't a lesser one. The normal one says Sorceror level 4? I only have the core rule book for reference.

Did you click the link in Caros's post? It says sorcerer/wizard 1 right there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Free Triangle posted:

My GM wants to start a new campaign but wants is looking for a third party adventure path that spans all 20 levels. We just finished Way of the Wicked and he's looking for 3rd party AP's of similiar quality, any suggestions?

I'm curious. Why only 3rd party? The Paizo APs are pretty great. Slumbering Tsar goes to level 20, I think.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Red Metal posted:

Did you click the link in Caros's post? It says sorcerer/wizard 1 right there.

I've been looking at so much underlined text all day I didn't even notice that was a link...It might be time for me to go to sleep...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

People generally seem to like Zeitgeist a whole bunch, although they're only halfway through (level 12 or so, plans for the full 20).

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"

Arivia posted:

I'm curious. Why only 3rd party? The Paizo APs are pretty great. Slumbering Tsar goes to level 20, I think.

We take turns DMing and last time I skimmed over the first 6 or so before settling on Curse of the Crimson Throne. Are there any of the Paizo APs you recommend? We're generally looking for something challenging because half the group are at the very least subconsciously min maxing

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Free Triangle posted:

War of The Burning Sky

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Red Hand of Doom. :getin:

Doesn't actually cover all 20 levels, but you can do something else for the first few.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

RPZip posted:

Red Hand of Doom. :getin:

Doesn't actually cover all 20 levels, but you can do something else for the first few.

Not even once. Maybe some Planescape modules instead? It'll take a bit of adaptation, but they'll help you make your world seem wonderful and alive.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
War of the Burning Sky looks like what we're after, is there a problem running it out of the book? I see there's only a 3.5 version of it, will we run into any problems just using the values in there?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is there a way to get a higher Base Attack Bonus? I am thinking about how to make a Duelist by level 3-5 (Main Class:3 Duelist: 2, or Main Class:4 Duelist:1)

EDIT: vv What about +6 by level 4 or 5? (Such that, at level 6, I could take my first level of duelist?)

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 8, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Is there a way to get a higher Base Attack Bonus? I am thinking about how to make a Duelist by level 3-5 (Main Class:3 Duelist: 2, or Main Class:4 Duelist:1)
A +6 by level 3? I don't think so. You might be able to do something with level draining, I guess? I remember there was some abuse in 3.5, but they might have fixed that.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Gensuki posted:

I don't think so.

I looked up how to raise attack rolls in general a while back, so I thought I may as well share.
Pale Green Prism Ioun stones give a +1 circumstance bonus, the cracked variant is 4000gp.
Late game you can add a +2 morale bonus from a Hobgoblin Battle Standard of Ferocity (60000gp), or Lord's banner of Victory (75000gp).
If you're using weapons, you're pretty much limited to that, enchanted weapons and stat modifiers.

If you're using natural attacks, you can have permanencied Magic Fang on all, or one specific attack;
a Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes works pretty much the same as enchanted weapons, though it's capped at +7 and there's edge cases where you can't apply it to every attack per round, and if you shape-shift for many natural attacks, you can't apply it to all of them;
and the Amulet of Mighty Fists, which is more expensive, but applies to every natural attack, and you can skip the +1 bonus and go straight for fancy effects.
Permanencied Magic Fang for +1s and an Amulet of Mighty Fists for effects works well on a Druid.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
drat, those morale bonuses seem stupidly expensive, given that they don't stack and everything and their mother grants Morale bonuses - Barbarian/Bloodrager and Bards/Skalds both run off it, Cavalier has their Banner, and Bless and a bunch of spells give easy Morale bonuses.

Also iirc, there is no way to raise BAB other than levels. In terms of other attack bonuses, remember Greater Magic Fang and Magic Weapon. GMF can apply +1 to all natural attacks, or CL/4 enhancement bonus to one attack. GMW allows you to do the same fancy effects on your weapon proper, and then boost the basic enhancement up to +5 on top of that.

Edit;

Nihilarian posted:

You might be able to do something with level draining, I guess? I remember there was some abuse in 3.5, but they might have fixed that.

Yeah it was fixed. Pathfinder changed Negative Levels to be a hard-to-shake stacking debuff (-1 on all d20 rolls), that kills you at stacks = HD. Mostly because delevelling in 3.5 was really really awkward and complicated.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 8, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Base Attack Bonus is one of the very few inviolable concepts in Pathfinder. There is no way to increase your BAB except to gain levels (or, for monsters, add hit dice).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gensuki posted:

EDIT: vv What about +6 by level 4 or 5? (Such that, at level 6, I could take my first level of duelist?)
They really didn't want you loving with BAB, man. They even changed Divine Power so it just grants a luck bonus instead of increasing your BAB.

The bard can grant Bonus HD, but I don't think it lasts long enough to do anything with it, and I don't think it comes with a BAB increase anyway.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Nihilarian posted:

They really didn't want you loving with BAB, man. They even changed Divine Power so it just grants a luck bonus instead of increasing your BAB.

The bard can grant Bonus HD, but I don't think it lasts long enough to do anything with it, and I don't think it comes with a BAB increase anyway.

I'm almost certain that they just changed Divine Power to nerf the poo poo out of it because it was really good in 3.5. To be honest, it'd have probably been okay in the changed state if they had just removed the lines "doesn't stack with haste".

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Oh actually, now that I remember, there is one way to increase you BAB. Not applicable for what you want to do, unless you want to go down the Duelist route with a rogue and get there early;
The Transformation spell, formerly Tenser's Transformation, sets your BAB equal to your character level as well as giving you a bunch of buffs.

While I'm on it, is there any actual use for this spell, other than going Dragon Disciple and then hulking out with Form of the Dragon + Transformation to punch dudes super hard as a dragon? Personal range only spell, so you can't do anything useful with it, like give a martial character any physical enhancement scores they were missing, or buff the Rogue to have full BAB. Going from a caster with access to 6th level spells, to a full-BAB class with only any prexisting buffs seems like a bad trade to make. Though I guess it also works for an Alchemist who pumps himself up with mutagen.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Gensuki posted:

What's your class concept? Swashbuckler is a core class that provides just about all of the features that Duelist does, while Daring Champion replaces the cavalier's mount abilities with Swashbuckler features.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Ambi posted:

While I'm on it, is there any actual use for this spell, other than going Dragon Disciple and then hulking out with Form of the Dragon + Transformation to punch dudes super hard as a dragon? Personal range only spell, so you can't do anything useful with it, like give a martial character any physical enhancement scores they were missing, or buff the Rogue to have full BAB. Going from a caster with access to 6th level spells, to a full-BAB class with only any prexisting buffs seems like a bad trade to make. Though I guess it also works for an Alchemist who pumps himself up with mutagen.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/archetypes/paizo---arcanist-archetypes/brown-fur-transmuter

9th level ability on your 3/4th BAB characters who can't use magic anyways?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Edison was a dick posted:

I don't think so.

I looked up how to raise attack rolls in general a while back, so I thought I may as well share.
Pale Green Prism Ioun stones give a +1 circumstance bonus, the cracked variant is 4000gp.
Late game you can add a +2 morale bonus from a Hobgoblin Battle Standard of Ferocity (60000gp), or Lord's banner of Victory (75000gp).
If you're using weapons, you're pretty much limited to that, enchanted weapons and stat modifiers.

If you're using natural attacks, you can have permanencied Magic Fang on all, or one specific attack;
a Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes works pretty much the same as enchanted weapons, though it's capped at +7 and there's edge cases where you can't apply it to every attack per round, and if you shape-shift for many natural attacks, you can't apply it to all of them;
and the Amulet of Mighty Fists, which is more expensive, but applies to every natural attack, and you can skip the +1 bonus and go straight for fancy effects.
Permanencied Magic Fang for +1s and an Amulet of Mighty Fists for effects works well on a Druid.

Alternative, better choice: Buy three Knight's Pennons and swap them in as you go. That'll get you through the day with a permanent Heroism spell on you.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

LightWarden posted:

What's your class concept? Swashbuckler is a core class that provides just about all of the features that Duelist does, while Daring Champion replaces the cavalier's mount abilities with Swashbuckler features.

I am bound to the Core Rule Book :(

The idea is that I want to be a Fighter, but more in a "you can't hit me" way than a "your hits won't stop me" way. There may already be 2 other rangers, a monk, and a rogue in the party so I was trying to not be one of those classes.

Also, this is one of three characters I am making since the other players characters aren't set in stone yet, so the fact that the listed setup in the bit above has no healers, tanks, or mages isn't too much of a worry.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Oooh that's neat. Along with the Bloodrager, I'm really pleased that Transmutation is getting some love. A range of personal buffs, most of which are only castable by full-casters? I totally missed most of the Arcanist archetypes because I didn't read any of the full casters in the book. That ability, plus the 3rd level one, means you can totally turn the party fighter into a giant dragon and have him wreck stuff, just have an agreement for them to pick Natural weapons as their backup Weapon Training. Or turn the Barbarian into a dragon. Or turn your entire party into dragons!

Dragonparty 2k14, the long-awaited sequel to Bearparty 2k10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That means someone has to play a Rogue, Ninja or a 3rd party class to get the full benefit. (Monks have full BAB when it counts). There are probably better spells to share. I do like the archetype, though.