Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a good Real Sports piece on this.

It sucks that HBO GO doesn't carry more than a handful of Real Sports episodes. There is also an Air Disasters/Mayday episode on the KHL crash and all the problems with the airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Still waiting on that '94 Expos doc.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mahoning posted:

Two actually. I think they did a follow-up piece on it right before or during the Sochi Olympics.

The one that aired during the Olympics was awesome. Not "dude, bro, awesome" but the literal definition of awesome. It was too much and I had to turn it off.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Kevyn posted:

Featuring thirty minutes of distraught Jonah Keri.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Total homer post here, but I'd love to see a 30-for-30 on the '95 Mariners and the whole context surrounding that season.

The M's were practically left for dead around the mid-90s, with the Kingdome crumbling and no new stadium deal coming along any time soon. Their '95 run revived baseball passion in the city in a way we haven't seen in a long time, and went a long way towards securing the deal for Safeco Field. The M's were hot poo poo from 95-01 and we had guys like Griffey, Randy, Edgar and Ichiro, who became national mainstream superstars from a team long starving for marketable talent.

The Mariners' odd history (from laughingstock to hot trendy team to Japanese favorites back to laughingstock) could make for a compelling doc, especially now that it looks like they've finally unfucked themselves and are contending for the playoffs again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd like a documentary on the '89 Indians and their unexpected pennant win with a bunch of cast-offs and unknowns despite their owner's attempt to lose enough games to move the team to Florida.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Benne posted:

The Boz one has good trainwreck potential, if nothing else.

I just want to know if the Uzi after the snowball story is true.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd like a documentary on the '89 Indians and their unexpected pennant win with a bunch of cast-offs and unknowns despite their owner's attempt to lose enough games to move the team to Florida.

:golfclap: I was cleaning up our Active Directory yesterday and saw a guy named 'Rick Vaughn' and wanted to share the joke, but no one at my office would have gotten it.

Edit: GIVE 'IM THE HEATER RICKY!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I welcome a sequel to "The U" simply because when the announcement came up on Facebook, a bunch of dumbasses proceeded to complain how it was glorifying "a bunch of trash talking punks".

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I'm looking forward to the Randy Moss doc.

I remember when I was in junior high that my junior high team played his team and got obliterated and everyone was talking about "the kid who could dunk."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I'm looking forward to the Randy Moss doc.

I remember when I was in junior high that my junior high team played his team and got obliterated and everyone was talking about "the kid who could dunk."

This reminds me of when I was in 7th grade and played against Maurice Clarrett. :stare:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Mahoning posted:

This reminds me of when I was in 7th grade and played against Maurice Clarrett. :stare:

. . . are you . . ... a ghost?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bill Simmons posted an Instagram pic of a 30 for 30 5th Anniversary blu-ray box set that will be out before Christmas with 100 films :stare:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

African AIDS cum posted:

He was actually good if not for injuries I hope the doc shows that he wasn't as big a bust as people claim

90 minutes of Bo Jackson blowing him up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

sportsgenius86 posted:

[...] 30 for 30 5th Anniversary [...]

drat, has it really been that long?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

I'm waiting on three (and yes I have titles and a lot of free time on my hands).

1) Friendly Rivals - The rivalry between Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte and also the rivalry between Michael Phelps and Ian Crocker

2) The Birth of Big Air Part II - Focusing on the rise of big air skateboarding

3) The Court - A look at the East Baltimore vs West Baltimore basketball game directed by Ed Burns and David Simon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd like to see...

-1999 British Open (Jean Van De Velde)
-2002 Western Conference Finals (Kings vs. Lakers)
-Sampras vs. Federer at Wimbledon 2001
-The Dave Schultz-Jean Du Pont story
-10 Cent Beer Night
-The 1990s Bills
-1994 Chargers Death Curse
-Andretti Curse
-Sosa/McGwire Home Run Chase
-Tim Donaghy
-Lennay Kekua

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'd like to see something about the 20 year Pirates losing streak.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They will never do a 2002 WCF or Donaghy one as long as they have a TV deal with the NBA. 10 cent beer night and Disco Demolition would make great Shorts. Also thought Paul Caligiuri's "Shot Heard Round the World" would make a fascinating story and what it meant for soccer in this country.

I have liked most of the 30 for 30's, even on topics I didn't like. The only bad ones are the one's where the league is involved in producing it and it turns into a fluff piece (Bad Boys for instance).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Total homer post here, but I'd love to see a 30-for-30 on the '95 Mariners and the whole context surrounding that season.

The M's were practically left for dead around the mid-90s, with the Kingdome crumbling and no new stadium deal coming along any time soon. Their '95 run revived baseball passion in the city in a way we haven't seen in a long time, and went a long way towards securing the deal for Safeco Field. The M's were hot poo poo from 95-01 and we had guys like Griffey, Randy, Edgar and Ichiro, who became national mainstream superstars from a team long starving for marketable talent.

The Mariners' odd history (from laughingstock to hot trendy team to Japanese favorites back to laughingstock) could make for a compelling doc, especially now that it looks like they've finally unfucked themselves and are contending for the playoffs again.

I once had a film idea that showed how the Mariners '95 run directly led to the Sonics being stolen, but Sonicsgate pretty much covered everything well enough and no one big is touching that while David Stern lives.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Kevyn posted:

Everyone knows how good they were. I'd rather see one blowing the lid off how Bud Selig hosed them over on purpose. Too many people assume baseball failed in Montreal just because the strike ruined their best team.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd like to see...

-The Dave Schultz-Jean Du Pont story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1100089/

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

African AIDS cum posted:

Also another one where a New Yorker tells us how cool and special one of their teams was

I really love hearing over and over about how special and important title winning teams from the country's biggest cities, that logically had the most kids watching and thinking this sports win was much more important than any other sports win, were and are.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Everyone knows how good they were. I'd rather see one blowing the lid off how Bud Selig hosed them over on purpose. Too many people assume baseball failed in Montreal just because the strike ruined their best team.

Ugh. The worst was the year they were still in contention for a playoff spot but were not allowed to have September call ups because reasons.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hey you guys want home games? How does playing in Puerto Rico sound? You know...very much like playing in Montreal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like to see a 30 for 30 on Andre Ware and the 1989 Houston Cougars. NCAA sanctions prohibited UH games from being televised while Ware set 26 NCAA records and won the Heisman Trophy.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

In an alternate universe Michael Moore and Youppi spend 90 minutes hunting down Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig in between touring derelict neighborhoods in Miami.

Seriously, though, the 1994 Expos and the 1995 Mariners are like two sides of the same coin--that crisis point baseball was at around where owners were getting reeeeeeeally antsy about moving their teams to (usually) Washington. Seattle was close, Pittsburgh was close, Houston was close, and of course there was the contraction debacle at the turn of the century. Montreal got screwed over, but Seattle managed to pull off the miracle.

And really, looking back at it, where is Seattle sports if that doesn't happen? The Kingdome doesn't get replaced, the M's are probably elsewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Sounders wind up the only pro team in Seattle in alternate-2014.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don't forget the SF Giants threatening to move to Florida.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody watch Playing For the Mob tonight? I thought it was really good.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anybody watch Playing For the Mob tonight? I thought it was really good.

A good episode. They just about edited in all of Goodfells, though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dr_Strangelove posted:

A good episode. They just about edited in all of Goodfells, though.

I was in a bar last night and I kept wondering why Goodfellas was on ESPN

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
New 30 for 30's don't show up on Hulu or Netflix shortly after, do they? I wanted to see the Playing for the Mob one last night but completely forgot about it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

New 30 for 30's don't show up on Hulu or Netflix shortly after, do they? I wanted to see the Playing for the Mob one last night but completely forgot about it.

No but if you have a DVR they'll usually run the newest ones late at night on ESPN/ESPN2 throughout the week.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And a bunch of random times before and after the next one.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Playing for the Mob was pretty good. Best part was Jason Kidd's hilarious flat top in the crowd during Rick Kuhn's speech at the end.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching Playing For The Mob now. Is Ray Liotta the narrator?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching Playing For The Mob now. Is Ray Liotta the narrator?

Yep

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

New 30 for 30 (The Day The Series Stopped) is up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Looking forward to this one. As a kid, the Loma Prieta Earthquake was the scariest natural disaster I'd seen in my book. The fans in the stadium being oblivious to what had happened outside was eerie.

e- The engines of crushed cars on the Cyprus Freeway revved because the drivers, themselves squashed, had their legs forced onto the accelerator. Jesus gently caress. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

New 30 for 30 (The Day The Series Stopped) is up.
It's re-airing right now on ESPN 2. I'm glad I watched this because I totally forgot that there was a stadium worker at the top of the light banks untangling stuff when the earthquake hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- The engines of crushed cars on the Cyprus Freeway revved because the drivers, themselves squashed, had their legs forced onto the accelerator. Jesus gently caress. :stonk:

well that's a thing I didn't need to know

• Locked thread