Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Davros made me want a weekly show where they argue with each other over anything that bothers one another.

That first part of Davros was the best part of any of the audios I listened to.

And the Monopoly bit from The One Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I liked this episode but I don't think I like Capaldi's Doctor at all

My buddy is the opposite. He hates the modern Dr Who episodes and Doctors, preferring the old episodes, except for Capaldi who he really seems to like. I'd like to see the whole "Why did I choose this face? What am I trying to tell myself?" thing resolved, seeing as how Capaldi has already been used twice before. What is the Doctor trying to tell himself? (The whole "heaven" foreshadowing thing is insignificant compared to that.) That's my only issue with Capaldi.

Anyway, I liked this episode, I liked how Sergeant Pink recognised the Doctor as a military officer (and aristocrat) after only a few moments conversation, just from the attitude. The way he mocked The Doctor with the whole fake military display, that was great. This episode's bad guy seemed very familiar though; I've just started a new play through of Fallout: New Vegas, and it was almost an exact copy of a sentry bot, right down to the gatling laser on the right arm, and even the personality was similar. Four legs instead of three is the only difference. But really the enemy could have been a cube with a laser duct-taped on or an exploding frisbee, this was more of a character development episode.

...Too much character development! Pink is almost certain to be either killed off on the penultimate episode, or have a major influence in the final episode of the season (and still possibly be killed). It would suck if he died though, clearly he and Clara are supposed to have, like, a dozen babies. And one of their descendants becomes the first "official" human time traveler.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Big Finish TalksBack disc with Maggie on also features India Fisher and Lisa Bowerman. It's an hour of the three of them in a room with Gary Russel asking questions and it's really great. Unfortunately, it's out-of-print and it's not available digitally ANYWHERE, officially or... otherwise. I had to grab my copy off eBay, though it was REALLY cheap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From Occupation's thread:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe Saxon stood as an MP in every constituency? That's probably forbidden by some statute but something something perception filters.
A parliament consisting entirely of himself is very in line with the Simm Master's MO, isn't it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Davros made me want a weekly show where they argue with each other over anything that bothers one another. I'm pretty sure that even if it was terrible, I would like anything with both of them. Basically, I want them to star in "The Odd Couple." But with genocide occasionally, to keep it in character.

Doctor: Davros.... you actually did the dishes!
Davros: I did.
Doctor: Thank you, I know I've been on and on at you about it, but I really do appreciate it.
Davros: It was simplicity itself. I created a random teleportation matrix that plucked a human from a randomized location while simultaneously drugging them to make them a willing slave. Having performed the task, they are then disintegrated. Given earth's relatively large population and the rate of reproduction of the species, I have set up a system whereby our apartment need never have dirty dishes again. Now our only disagreement need be who operates the teleporter itself on any given day.
Doctor: ...that's... that's monstrous!
Davros: Not at all. I have made up a roster.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Absolutely amazing. :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: Thank you, I know I've been on and on at you about it, but I really do appreciate it.
Davros: It was simplicity itself. I created a random teleportation matrix that plucked a human from a randomized location while simultaneously drugging them to make them a willing slave. Having performed the task, they are then disintegrated. Given earth's relatively large population and the rate of reproduction of the species, I have set up a system whereby our apartment need never have dirty dishes again. Now our only disagreement need be who operates the teleporter itself on any given day.

“Hi, Jerusalem? Steven Moffat here. Yes. Yes. Yes, I’m glad they killed Adric too. Listen, I have this Mark Gatiss script here and was wondering if you could give it a wee little rewrite.”

And then we just need Murray Gold to recompose "The Odd Couple" theme.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 30, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody please call Big Finish and tell them to make this the theme of a new spin-off series. Occasionally a huge penguin can Kramer his way into the apartment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gaz-L posted:

A parliament consisting entirely of himself is very in line with the Simm Master's MO, isn't it?

The Master Parliament

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I can't help but notice that the BBC has been playing the clip of the Doctor saying 'listen' since before the first episode, and is still playing it now. This must mean that those monsters under the bed play into the main arc, mustn't it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doug Sisk posted:

I can't help but notice that the BBC has been playing the clip of the Doctor saying 'listen' since before the first episode, and is still playing it now. This must mean that those monsters under the bed play into the main arc, mustn't it?

It's probably just a good soundbite to sum up this Doctor's intensity.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doug Sisk posted:

Listen... to Big Finish Doctor Who audio plays.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I can hear it in his voice and everything. :golfclap:, J-Ru

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

J-Ru, this is INCREDIBLE.

I HAVE to go to Long Island Who this november, now, because both Colin and Terry Malloy are attending, and THIS MUST BE READ!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I was about to say to make sure to crosspost it to the Occ thread when he gets to the end of Donna's season, but I think you need the basic knowledge of Genesis Davros and maybe even Big Finish Davros for it to really have its full comedic value.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I probably whinged about that more than anyone (I was kind of an expert, you see, because I had an A-level politics text book and everything :smug:), but I've grown up enough to realise it was no big deal.

The "president-elect" bit was still a bit lazy, though. It's not like Wikipedia didn't exist in 2007 and you couldn't look these things up. :shrug:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

DoctorWhat posted:

J-Ru, this is INCREDIBLE.

I HAVE to go to Long Island Who this november, now, because both Colin and Terry Malloy are attending, and THIS MUST BE READ!

Wait, there's a Doctor Who convention in LI?

How have I never heard of this? :aaaaa:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Honestly, a DW convention seems like a generally terrible idea. All that squee-ing and endless catchphrases.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And that's just the programme BOOM BOOM

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, a DW convention seems like a generally terrible idea. All that squee-ing and endless catchphrases.

This happens at literally every convention, though. You just have to gravitate toward the people who aren't doing it. I know at writing conventions I go to, a huge portion of the crowd is just trying to pitch to the agents during lunch or ask specific questions about their books to authors. You just avoid them for the people who want to talk about craft or the industry. Same with education conferences I've been to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've only ever attended "general" conventions in the past, but usually it's pretty easy to tune out/keep one's distance from the more obnoxious attendees.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I've only ever attended "general" conventions in the past, but usually it's pretty easy to tune out/keep one's distance from the more obnoxious attendees.

Agreed, they've got sixth doctor coats on I'M ON A ROLL TONIGHT

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed, they've got sixth doctor coats on I'M ON A ROLL TONIGHT

Please, if Sixth Doctor coats were widespread enough to become an irritating fandmom meme (like those Homespot trolls or the literal hundreds of TARDIS dresses that flood NYCC every year), I'd be over the moon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Please, if Sixth Doctor coats were widespread enough to become an irritating fandmom meme (like those Homespot trolls or the literal hundreds of TARDIS dresses that flood NYCC every year), I'd be over the moon.

Ahem, let me step into that trap you so subtly placed.

Homestuck.

Thank you that will be all.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

Is a fandmom like a band mom except for memetic TV and webcomics fans?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

“Hi, Jerusalem? Steven Moffat here. Yes. Yes. Yes, I’m glad they killed Adric too.

He got my letter! :swoon:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't know why this is so funny to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jsor posted:

Is a fandmom like a band mom except for memetic TV and webcomics fans?

Typing on the Wii U browser, stuff like that happens!

Burkion posted:

Ahem, let me step into that trap you so subtly placed.

Homestuck.

Thank you that will be all.

I remember the first time I saw a Homestuck troll, in any context. NYCC 2011. Just gaggles of candy-corn horns flooding the Javits Center food court. It was like a plauge, an INFESTATION. I had no idea what they were. It was terrifying.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Jerusalem posted:

Ok. I lied. If they made this spinoff I would listen to it religiously.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I remember the first time I saw a Homestuck troll, in any context. NYCC 2011. Just gaggles of candy-corn horns flooding the Javits Center food court. It was like a plauge, an INFESTATION. I had no idea what they were. It was terrifying.

I think I may have been Gumshoe that there. Weird we've been to the same con and generally seem to be in the same area, but never bumped into each other.

Or maybe we have? :tinfoil:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Solaris Knight posted:

I think I may have been Gumshoe that there. Weird we've been to the same con and generally seem to be in the same area, but never bumped into each other.

Or maybe we have? :tinfoil:

Since you've never seen each other in the same room at the same time, have you considered that you are, in fact, Doctor What?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

That is your sanity, warning you.

These are the terrible things that must be fought.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

RodShaft posted:

Ok. I lied. If they made this spinoff I would listen to it religiously.

Coming soon to Radio 4.. The Ood Couple

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

Who is this Ian dude supposed to be?

Ignoring the prior 8 Doctors for a moment, while Eccleston (Thanks Mr. Beckett), Tennant and Smith didn't have much use for the military except as the people holding the line while Daleks, Sontarans and other nasties invaded and stomped all over everyone, they sure didn't make a point of being aggressively dickish to them that I can recall. They'd roll their eyes when the Military Solution -- lure it back and melt it in ACID -- was proposed but I don't remember them getting up in anyone's face and saying, "You're a soldier! gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUU". *That* is the change in Doctor number 12 that I don't see any motivation for and I think is lovely writing. It's also a bit embarrassing since we've got 50 years of soldiers trying like hell to hold off superior alien militaries and mostly getting killed till the Doctor shows up and magics away the bad guy.

I'm not suggesting that the Doctor should suddenly be pro-military but his broad hostility to Danny who is a Maths teacher doesn't seem motivated by prior events. If anything he should be happy to hear that Danny put down his guns and is an educator.

Yeah, but Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith weren't "gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUU" Doctors in general. 12 has been anything but subtle about his disdain for everything he has ever shown disdain for thus far. And that Danny pushes back only makes him push harder.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

That is your sanity, warning you.

These are the terrible things that must be fought.

I truly don't think anyone hates Homestuck more than its fanbase.

Speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh no. The nice lady who played Evelyn Smythe died.

I've only heard two or three of the audios that have her in them but she was good. :(

Oh man, I didn't see this until now. This just sucks, Maggie Stables was a great actress and seemed like a good person.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

"Yes Katie."
"Well no, it's not for the show per se."
"It's...um, something Peter wanted. Just come to the set, OK?"

I just listened to the audio book "The Scorchies" and she does a pretty decent Jon Pertwee impression.

In fact that story was really enjoyable to listen to. It's in the Companion Chronicles line by Big Finish.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-scorchies-748

Really catchy songs in it too.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll let you know. I'm going to my first ever convention in March, and taking my stepdaughter who insists she dress like Nine and I dress like Two.

But it's cool. I get to have tea with Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker. Or to her, I get to have tea with Radagast the Brown and that fellow in the funny coat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One Swell Foop posted:

Coming soon to Radio 4.. The Ood Couple

Boo! Boo this man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And to finish off my thoughts on the first three Doctors' Dalek episodes, Death to the Daleks is a good one and the Daleks were good in it. Hooray for that!

• Locked thread