Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zwabu posted:

I really feel like Romney could very likely win the nomination again over the current clown car field, but I cringe to think the stuff he'll feel like he must say while running against Cruz, Paul and Santorum.

Has this ever happened before? Like, has a party ever renominated the guy who literally just lost the race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has this ever happened before? Like, has a party ever renominated the guy who literally just lost the race?

Three times in a row, I believe.

edit: nope, twice in a row then again two elections later

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Andrew Jackson?

Of course, that wasn't exactly the most clear-cut loss since he won the popular vote but lost when the election was thrown to the House...

Edit:
Jefferson lost to Adams his first time around too and came back and won the next time

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 1, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

Three times in a row, I believe.

So he's in good company!

VitalSigns posted:

Andrew Jackson?

Of course, that wasn't exactly the most clear-cut loss since we won the popular vote but lost when the election was thrown to the House...

Yea I'd call Jackson a grey area, there was plenty of room for his guys to say 'what no you totally won that, do it again man'.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Thomas Dewey and Adlai Stevenson, in addition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThirdPartyView posted:

Thomas Dewey and Adlai Stevenson, in addition.

I was shaky on Dewey and didn't wanna say anything solid, didn't know Adlai.

I mean the sad thing is unless someone totally bland like Jeb runs I really can't think of many better options than just trying Romney again, the crazies would get absolutely demolished.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

A Hillary v. Romney campaign feels like a race for second, who's the best of people who lost to Obama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

A Hillary v. Romney campaign feels like a race for second, who's the best of people who lost to Obama.

Please, we call it the wildcard race.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

In the future all former presidents are forced to run in low-level, unpublicized local elections in districts they are unfamiliar with until they win. After they win, they must resign at the completion of their first term and move on to run in another district.

Until they die.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it possible for a caricature to be anti-semitic if the subject isn't Jewish?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The first guy to run twice for President (unsuccessfully) was technically John Adams (who won his third chance against Thomas Jefferson, who in turn ran again and won against Adams).

Edit: George Clinton, too, now that I think about. And Aaron Burr as well.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean the sad thing is unless someone totally bland like Jeb runs I really can't think of many better options than just trying Romney again, the crazies would get absolutely demolished.

Maybe Robert Downey Junior will take a shot. Thats why he's quitting the CMU.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

Maybe Robert Downey Junior will take a shot. Thats why he's quitting the CMU.

Yea I'll vote for President Iron Man.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it possible for a caricature to be anti-semitic if the subject isn't Jewish?

This is just begging for a reinterpretation with Ted Cruz, that Gadsden snake, and an elephant.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'd call Jackson a grey area, there was plenty of room for his guys to say 'what no you totally won that, do it again man'.

Jackson took the loss personally. No amount of supporters or opponents telling him not to run again would have stopped that guy. I believe someone said poo poo about his wife too.

Adams is lucky he didn't wake up one night to find Jackson angrily staring at him while holding a noose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

Jackson took the loss personally. No amount of supporters or opponents telling him not to run again would have stopped that guy. I believe someone said poo poo about his wife too.

Adams is lucky he didn't wake up one night to find Jackson angrily staring at him while holding a noose.

Yea that's also fair, Jackson felt (honestly as much as I hate him, pretty rightly) that the results were a direct gently caress you to him rather than politics. He was going to kick someone's rear end.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The last guy to get two bites at the apple was Tricky Dick. Nixon ran and lost in 1960, lost for California governor in 1962, and ran for and won the presidency in 1968 in one of the greatest political comebacks ever.

The thing that makes Romney II funny is that it isn't like Romney lost a squeaker (like Nixon in 1960) or got screwed by the courts or by circumstances (like Gore in 2000) or there's been a massive shift in the electorate since his last run (like Nixon's run in pre- and post-civil rights America) - he flat-out got his rear end handed to him by the skinny black name named Hussein. What's the logic behind a second run? What states will Mitt take in 2016 that he lost in 2012? The guy's primary qualification is that he was just soundly rejected by American voters last time around. It's not like that 47% tape is going to unhappen if he runs again. It's baffling.

I mean, I know the Establishment is looking at the candidate field, and they see a sea of wingnut teabaggler candidates that would all lose a general election by at least 150 EVs, so they need an Establishment candidate to stand a chance of winning in the general, and they need to steamroller the field with him so he doesn't have to pander to the wingnuts for too long in the primary. But all of their prospective candidates are horribly flawed - Christie has more skeletons than a level 60 necromancer, Bush has been in private life for a decade and has a problematic last name, and Perry can't count to three. The cupboard for "credible, non-wingnut" candidates is so empty that they're considering rerunning Mittens, and they're right that he might be their best bet.

This is not the sign of a healthy national party.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

What's the logic behind a second run?

I mean, I know the Establishment is looking at the candidate field, and they see a sea of wingnut teabaggler candidates that would all lose a general election by at least 150 EVs

This is not the sign of a healthy national party.

No, that's basically the extent of it. Mittens is their most electable politician right now which...is bad. Several of their crazies are vying for the nomination and are just assuming they're going to get it. Really, when you have to run the race and your choice is between a crippled horse and a dead one you run the cripple and hope for the best. While, you know, sabotaging all the other horses.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I want Romney to be the new Harold Stassen...a real, competitive nominee in his first couple runs, then just a joke candidate running in every election til he's 80.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
That'll give him, what, two more elections?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
This is getting a bit overblown, the establishment GOP never really liked Mitt the first time around and were nearly successful at pushing Christie into the ring at the last minute, Christie only stayed out so he could keep his powder dry for 2016, him or some other boring ex-Governor will get a poo poo tonne of Koch cash while Cruz, Paul and Carson fight over the most hateful half of the electorate and Romney sips cocoa and watches the whole thing on tv.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Counting Jeb Bush out for 2016 is insanity. Obama was able to get elected despite being black and having a "strange" name. GWB's approval ratings since he left office have rebounded, and Jeb is a lot better at speaking than his brother. So there's a million ways for him to distance himself or make the election his own.

You also could have made that same case about the Bush name being tarnished for the 2000 election due to George H.W. Bush failing to get a second term.

The reason you can't think of less crazy candidates is just confirmation bias. I'm not saying I'd vote for any of them, but they're a far cry from Rick Perry and Rick Santorum. The non-crazy GOP'ers are just laying low until the primary season actually starts, and their names don't come to mind as readily since they're not in the news doing crazy bullshit all the time. There's a lot of Republican governors that could mount a decent run, and not be completely insane.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErIog posted:

Counting Jeb Bush out for 2016 is insanity. Obama was able to get elected despite being black and having a "strange" name. GWB's approval ratings since he left office have rebounded, and Jeb is a lot better at speaking than his brother. So there's a million ways for him to distance himself or make the election his own.

You also could have made that same case about the Bush name being tarnished for the 2000 election due to George H.W. Bush failing to get a second term.

Well, if a million things hadn't happened just right Dubya wouldn't have won.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The number one thing to know about Adlai Stevenson is that he ran against Eisenhower on a platform of "I'm not a war hero".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYDTTNYMic

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

Well, if a million things hadn't happened just right Dubya wouldn't have won.

I'm not justifying it based on GWB's win. Even if he hadn't won, he still mounted a decent campaign, and would have lost by very little in the event that he did lose. Him winning due to the Supreme Court was super weird, but he did well enough to be close enough to get that win through the Supreme Court. Excluding whether or not he won, it's impossible to deny that he did well.

The claim I'm pushing up against is that there's nobody in the GOP that can put a non-insane run together like Mitt Romney. That claim requires tossing out Jeb Bush for reasons that also would require you to consider GWB a non-credible candidate before the 2000 election.

The view that GOP can't mount a run because they can't find anybody not crazy is echo chamber feel-good bullshit for Dems. It doesn't map to reality. Yeah, the GOP might not have a ton of sane people, but they only need 1 or 2 in order to fill the POTUS and VP slots.

It also requires looking at the roster for the Republican Governors Association, and saying they're all joke candidates. I find that hard to believe. Have a look for yourself:
http://www.rga.org/homepage/governors/

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 1, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
By 2016 Jeb will have been out of politics for ten years, buckraking in the business world, facilitating deals and trading on his name and connections. What's his record of recent achievement? What jobs can he point to having created, what school test scores can he take credit for raising, what budgets has he balanced? A bunch of crap from a decade ago? He'll get lit up over the business stuff he's been doing - ask Mitt Romney how well being a mover and shaker in modern finance and equity serves you on the campaign trail. I don't remember anything he did as governor of Florida that showed him to be a master orator or deft political strategist - his highest profile moment was impotently enabling the Terri Schiavo circus. His occasional post-2008 efforts to play on the national stage have not been impressive and some have been downright catastrophic (his immigration book, in particular). He's an aging white guy from a fading political dynasty, so how is supposed to win votes from an increasingly young and diverse electorate?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

FMguru posted:

By 2016 Jeb will have been out of politics for ten years, buckraking in the business world, facilitating deals and trading on his name and connections. What's his record of recent achievement? What jobs can he point to having created, what school test scores can he take credit for raising, what budgets has he balanced? A bunch of crap from a decade ago? He'll get lit up over the business stuff he's been doing - ask Mitt Romney how well being a mover and shaker in modern finance and equity serves you on the campaign trail. I don't remember anything he did as governor of Florida that showed him to be a master orator or deft political strategist - his highest profile moment was impotently enabling the Terri Schiavo circus. His occasional post-2008 efforts to play on the national stage have not been impressive and some have been downright catastrophic (his immigration book, in particular). He's an aging white guy from a fading political dynasty, so how is supposed to win votes from an increasingly young and diverse electorate?

No see he can speak coherently unlike his brother so we have to take him seriously.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Did I say that he would win? I was just pointing out he's not a sideshow candidate in the way that other posters were insinuating that he was. I'm not going to go phone bank for the guy or anything.

He has some issues. All candidates have some issues. I still think he could mount a very credible run. His distance from politics can easily be painted as a plus. He's also a lot more personable than Mitt Romney. People weren't suspicious of Romney because he was a Mr. Moneybags Businessman. They were suspicious of Romney because it seemed like he was an out-of-touch entitled prick.

FMguru posted:

Bush has been in private life for a decade and has a problematic last name. ...

The cupboard for "credible, non-wingnut" candidates is so empty that they're considering rerunning Mittens, and they're right that he might be their best bet.

I guess I should have quoted this when I posted above, but this is the piece I was objecting to. It's patently false. The only people taking another Romney run seriously are Mitt Romney and whatever hangers-on he had.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErIog posted:

His distance from politics can easily be painted as a plus.

The most successful anti-establishment candidates we've had in the past 40 years have been a governor from California and a governor from Georgia, neither of which were out of office for more than 5 years or so.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He's a mediocre ex-governor who has been out of the game for eight years.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Once again, I never claimed he would win or be extremely successful. My claim is that he probably wouldn't embarrass himself or the party like Ted Cruz or whoever else from the suicide caucus would. He is one of a handful of credible candidates that could run in 2016. The GOP bench is not a deep one right now, but there are people. There are enough to fill a primary and field a candidate.

Again, go look at this list:
http://www.rga.org/homepage/governors/

Am I to assume they're all blood-gargling Tea Partying sociopath joke candidates to the point that Mitt Romney would be preferable?

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 1, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest problem the GOP is going to have is that we already saw that Mittens is basically unelectable

Is this really true though? Romney's loss in 2012 was pretty much exactly what was predicted by the fundamentals, so he can hardly be blamed for losing to a relatively popular incumbent in a sluggish but gradually recovering economy. America loves a comeback story and "Romney Was Right" is a compelling message if it's surrounded by enough menacing images of Russian tanks rolling through Ukraine. I wouldn't write him off.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Guys I'm not saying Jeb Bush is going to win, I'm just pointing out that he'll inevitably tear Hillary Clinton apart with either his razor-sharp adamantium claws or perhaps by focusing his concussive eyebeam energies through his ruby-quartz visor and you're all fools not to see that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is this really true though? Romney's loss in 2012 was pretty much exactly what was predicted by the fundamentals, so he can hardly be blamed for losing to a relatively popular incumbent in a sluggish but gradually recovering economy. America loves a comeback story and "Romney Was Right" is a compelling message if it's surrounded by enough menacing images of Russian tanks rolling through Ukraine. I wouldn't write him off.

Romney ruined his ability to get nominated by running for the general election. He's already RINOed himself too hard.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

Guys I'm not saying Jeb Bush is going to win, I'm just pointing out that he'll inevitably tear Hillary Clinton apart with either his razor-sharp adamantium claws or perhaps by focusing his concussive eyebeam energies through his ruby-quartz visor and you're all fools not to see that.

Guys I'm not saying Mitt Romney is going to win, I'm just pointing out that he'll inevitably tear Hillary Clinton apart with either his razor-sharp adamantium claws or perhaps by focusing his concussive eyebeam energies through his ruby-quartz visor and you're all fools to think there's anybody else in the party who isn't a joke candidate. --FMguru

Are you Tagg Romney?

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 1, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Americans don't give a poo poo about Ukraine though. And in order for Romney to have any compelling message he'd have to be doing anything besides getting awkward photos taken of him after the election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think there's a decent chance of Bush or Romney running, but there's a zero percent chance they BOTH run. There would have to be disastrous disagreements behind the scenes for this to occur.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

And in order for Romney to have any compelling message he'd have to be doing anything besides getting awkward photos taken of him after the election.
Romney ran for president literally non-stop from early 2007 to late 2012, but apparently he thinks Americans just need to see a little more of him to be won over.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FMguru posted:

focusing his concussive eyebeam energies through his ruby-quartz visor and you're all fools not to see that.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand, Mitt Romney means Ann Romney. Can :mitt: really keep her away from the media?

• Locked thread