Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

XboxPants posted:

Does anyone remember what the previous device of Fitz's they looked at on the tablet was?

It reminded me of the Overkill device ("The Hub"). That was a sonic weapon of some kind, I think, and I think they said the one in this episode was also a sonic something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, I'm kind of messed up over how weirdly accurate Fitz's brain damage is being portrayed, especially the aphasia. That thing where he said something that didn't quite make sense, but sort of did, and Mack had to decode it? That is totally a thing that happens. I've seen it, and I've helped decode.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like all the extras in the Shield base. It's a subtle way of saying that Coulson and co. have been busy doing things over the break.

Fitz coming up with a solution was good, and showed that he can still contribute.

JerikTelorian posted:

That said, recalling last season she seemed to be willing to actually make the switch when Hand was was testing her; it was Trippett, iirc, that made the right decision there. If someone is re-watching it would be nice to get a fresh assessment of that scene.

Your recollection is off. In that scene, Tripp and Simmons nodded to each other, and then Simmons tossed Tripp the knife he used to hold the pretend-Hydra agent hostage. She was on Tripp's side there.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I like all the extras in the Shield base. It's a subtle way of saying that Coulson and co. have been busy doing things over the break.

Fitz coming up with a solution was good, and showed that he can still contribute.

Your recollection is off. In that scene, Tripp and Simmons nodded to each other, and then Simmons tossed Tripp the knife he used to hold the pretend-Hydra agent hostage. She was on Tripp's side there.

You're definitely right, I remember that a bit more clearly now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jamesman posted:

"Bring me some pie, and some black coffee."

HOWS SKY? HOWS SKY?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bobkatt013 posted:

HOWS SKY? HOWS SKY?

The Hawkeyes are not what they seem.

One day my Groot will have something to say about this.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
My DVR didn't record today's episode when does it show up on ABC's site?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bobkatt013 posted:

HOWS SKY? HOWS SKY?

WHERE'S SIMMONS, STRING? WHERE THE gently caress IS SIMMONS?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

HOWS SKY? HOWS SKY?

She's the kind of girl that makes you wish you spoke a little Kree.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ashpanash posted:

WHERE'S SIMMONS, STRING? WHERE THE gently caress IS SIMMONS?

SHIELD? gently caress that poo poo! HYDRA!
Inhuman wants to gently caress! Inhuman wants to gently caress Medusa!

Maximus! I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.
drat good food. Maximus , if you ever get up this way, that cherry pie is worth a stop.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 1, 2014

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Fitz makes them talk to his cloaking device to find out information.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: Agent Lucretia

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
While the effects budget was seemingly being raised, and the effects generally are pretty great this year, the Bus de-cloaking stood out as a laughably bad effect.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
It reminded me of the flying car last season, I'm fine with some campy special effects...

...ok the bus was just bad. At least the car was funny, but, TV budgets...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Man, I'm kind of messed up over how weirdly accurate Fitz's brain damage is being portrayed, especially the aphasia. That thing where he said something that didn't quite make sense, but sort of did, and Mack had to decode it? That is totally a thing that happens. I've seen it, and I've helped decode.
Yeah. Whedon-related productions have never been particularly good with portraying mental disabilities in the past, so all during the first episode I was left thinking "okay when are they going to gently caress this up because they haven't yet" and... wow, they're really just not loving it up. Like, at all. I know Joss isn't involved in this beyond name and maybe getting to fan his hands at a season finale script, but I was still expecting something bad and it's not happening.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Spergatory posted:

It is pretty depressing. My grandfather had somewhat severe dementia towards the end of his life(he lived till 92 so something was going to give) and in the last few months he would start speaking in extremely fragmented English and Spanish sentences. Then he would be mentioning his diseased relatives like they were just in the other room. Then there is my mother who had a brain tumor and she constantly gets stuck on trying to say a word(it looks like she is clenching her teeth and then begins to hum) or repeating a certain phrase over and over again and getting frustrated when no one understands her. It also happens in a similar frequency when she is under any amount of stress.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't think it's going to be a deep cover situation, more of a "reluctantly working with Hydra to try to help Fitz" situation. The team has been griping about her abandoning them, and I think they'd probably be looped in. I suppose it's possible Coulson's the only one who knows though. I also wouldn't send in the person with little to no lying/spy training in as my deep-cover operative, I'm pretty sure Hydra vets/interrogates their former Shield acquisitions pretty thoroughly. Then again, they might not be that thorough with all the scientists.

Basically, I'm hoping for something more interesting than Simmons Undercover, and the way it's been played that doesn't make too much sense to me. It'll be nice to see her on the show again, and not just in Fitz's head.

I thought a nice touch was that SIMmons was admiring Mack and kind of gave me a flirty vibe with him. This could be Fitz's feelings regarding Simmons' interest in Triplett bleeding through a bit, which would be interesting. I might just be reading too much into it though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty decent episode, although it started off a bit slow and the sniper rifle part was kind of really dumb. I was beginning to get kind of annoyed at Fitz's whole thing but they managed to transition that pretty smoothly into his friendship with the new guy (have they said his name? I think I completely missed it) which I really liked. Totally forgot that MacLachlan was in the show this season so was super happy when I realized that it was him. Hopefully his character is a lot closer to Paxton's than that stupid general military mastermind guy that they did literally nothing with from the first season.

Speaking of the first season, I rolled my eyes pretty drat hard at hallucinated Simmons's line about how some people are just so impatient. They might as well have had her look at the drat camera and wink. Yes congrats AoS, you finally became a fun show to watch. All it took was almost 6 months and 16 episodes of boring TV to get there. All those impatient fans sure were wrong :rolleyes:

But in their defense it does look so far like they learned some lessons and are actively moving all the big storylines forward, even if by only a little bit, so I'm actually looking forward to every new episode now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, looks like I won't be watching tonight. ABC's website is usually fail for me, but particularly so tonight.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
My guess for the Coulson/Simmons scene: She went to infiltrate Hydra to get something to help Fitz, her cover gets blown and she has to run, expects Hydra badguys in the room when Coulson says his line and than the team is back together.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really liked the fact that Mack was taking his time with Fitz and actually trying to understand him. It's a really great relationship because he can see Fitz's friends' frustrations in dealing with him, but he's also got a different perspective because they see the guy Fitz used to see, while Mack only knows the guy Fitz is now.

My partner thought this episode was slower and not as interesting as the last, but to me the plots are all continuing on at a great pace and it doesn't feel like there's any break in the storytelling that's forcing things to be episodic, even though we still get things like Lance Hunter's loyalty plot which spanned this week's episode nicely.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dig the new tech and the way he interacts with Fitz, and I hope that's going to be a long running thing.

And also, I thought it was a pretty drat good episode in general.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Potsticker posted:

I really liked the fact that Mack was taking his time with Fitz and actually trying to understand him. It's a really great relationship because he can see Fitz's friends' frustrations in dealing with him, but he's also got a different perspective because they see the guy Fitz used to see, while Mack only knows the guy Fitz is now.

My partner thought this episode was slower and not as interesting as the last, but to me the plots are all continuing on at a great pace and it doesn't feel like there's any break in the storytelling that's forcing things to be episodic, even though we still get things like Lance Hunter's loyalty plot which spanned this week's episode nicely.

Is Mack his name? I also don't recall them saying it ever. I will agree that I like how he interacts with Fitz, and the dude playing Fitz is really knocking it out of the park with his portrayal. Little sideways glances to SIMmons to check what she's doing or saying before he responds, and I think I caught a tiny hint that he knows she's not real, but at the same time doesn't know either.

Another bit I picked up was Fitz stared right at the printer with Creel's DNA info for a good long while, and when he looked away, that's when SIMmons looked at it and drew his attention to it, suggesting she's not so much a hallucination as a coping mechanism for his brain to solve problems.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kruller posted:

Another bit I picked up was Fitz stared right at the printer with Creel's DNA info for a good long while, and when he looked away, that's when SIMmons looked at it and drew his attention to it, suggesting she's not so much a hallucination as a coping mechanism for his brain to solve problems.

See also: feeding him words he gets hung up on, allowing him to keep going without saying them. And her distance at the end could be part of Fitz's mind knowing he doesn't need her around if [mechanic whose name was said once last episode and nobody can remember it] is willing to interact.

The actor for Fitz is doing a great job, and it's painful to watch. In a good way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I find it hard to buy 'Simmons joins hydra to save fitz'. This is the guy who stared down the barrel of a rifle with tears streaming down his face to insist that he'd rather die than betray what he believes in. Who couldn't handle the idea of ward being hydra. If Simmons betrayed them for him it would destroy him, and I don't see Simmons doing that to him.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Simmons joining Hydra makes some sense, they were very close friends and Fitz messed him self up pretty bad to save her. Hydra also stole a heap of cool tech and probably are the best place to go to find some magic cure.

Shame we had to suffer through all that Fitz+Simmons poo poo to get here, and I hope they don't gently caress up the Simmons part of it next week. Has some pretty great potential as a story arc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I found that episode to be better than last week - gave the season some real depth to work with. Great to see AoS maintain the standard

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I just finished watching the episode. I’m really enjoying the season so far.

The only time they showed the obelisk standing up is at the end of this episode. When they did, it reminded me of something.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know what I liked? It was a straight up continuation of episode one. No new villain of the week, no time skips. Literally picking up minutes after the last episode and kept on rocking. Momentum is all!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That was a good episode but the line about absorbing the Obelisk's "deadly power" has got to be in the running for worst line in the entire series.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
No Ward, episode voted 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't watch the trailers on purpose, but oh well, too late now. There's no way Simmons joins Hydra for real in episode 3 of the new season. That's the kind of twist that would be better saved for later on.

I liked that Coulson was smart enough to not take chances with the turned-to-Stone Creel and put him into stasis. It was also nice to see that he and May re-connecting, with her being the only one he trusts with his condition.

Kruller posted:

Is Mack his name? I also don't recall them saying it ever. I will agree that I like how he interacts with Fitz, and the dude playing Fitz is really knocking it out of the park with his portrayal. Little sideways glances to SIMmons to check what she's doing or saying before he responds, and I think I caught a tiny hint that he knows she's not real, but at the same time doesn't know either.

I also suspect that Fitz knows that Simmons isn't really there. There were a couple bits in the last episode that also suggested that: When the sample of Creel's tissue started bleeding, he asked May "Can you see that?", suggesting that he wasn't sure if he was hallucinating it, and when Head-Simmons said "It shouldn't be that hard [to figure out]", Fitz repeated it verbatim, as if he knew that May wouldn't be able to hear that.

This week's episode also suggested things along that line when Mack interacted with Fitz. Fitz did not respond to Simmons in front of Mack, and pretended that he wasn't talking to her. A coping mechanism sounds right.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The episode was pretty alright for me outside of what's his face stealing the sniper rifle, running it all the way downstairs from perch Triplett had ready, through a crowd of people spooking them and blowing his cover, just so he could try to shoot Kreel from 20 feet away. That almost completely ruined the episode for me.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also suspect that Fitz knows that Simmons isn't really there. There were a couple bits in the last episode that also suggested that: When the sample of Creel's tissue started bleeding, he asked May "Can you see that?", suggesting that he wasn't sure if he was hallucinating it, and when Head-Simmons said "It shouldn't be that hard [to figure out]", Fitz repeated it verbatim, as if he knew that May wouldn't be able to hear that.

This week's episode also suggested things along that line when Mack interacted with Fitz. Fitz did not respond to Simmons in front of Mack, and pretended that he wasn't talking to her. A coping mechanism sounds right.

It sort of reminds me of ghost dad on Dexter. Ultimately he knows she's not real but their discussions help him think things through. Also, she always knows the terminology he's struggling to remember, so it's all still there in his head.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

The episode was pretty alright for me outside of what's his face stealing the sniper rifle, running it all the way downstairs from perch Triplett had ready, through a crowd of people spooking them and blowing his cover, just so he could try to shoot Kreel from 20 feet away. That almost completely ruined the episode for me.

Didn't they set that up though when planning the mission? Specifically saying they'd need to blast him in the face up close to put him down? That's why Hunter went down there for the shot instead of the sniper position.

I'm not sure why that distance would make a difference with a high-powered rifle, but at least it didn't come out of the blue.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There wouldn't be significant loss of velocity between the range where trip was and where hunter ran to with the rifle, if it's supposed to be a real weapon and not some weird shield tech.

Also I kinda assume if the killshot had to be that close, trip wouldn't have been that far away. I read it as lance being intentionally written as acting like a dumbass because he wanted revenge, and then having coulson save his bacon with the macguffin device.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am extremely pleased that Paul Muad'Dib Is now part of this show.

Fantastic casting decision.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lucy Lawless left us too soon. :(

I hope she either returns as an undead alien zombie thing or I guess I'd settle for her in flashbacks too...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm reminded of Brad Dourif showing up as the main villain that's not actually the main villain for one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Deakul posted:

Lucy Lawless left us too soon. :(

I hope she either returns as an undead alien zombie thing or I guess I'd settle for her in flashbacks too...

We never saw her body so it seems likely that she actually survived and the government folks are holding her body for study or whatever. It could also be possible that Hydra got her as well.

• Locked thread