Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

dupersaurus posted:

In this case it looks like the constraint is the bulge on the bottom. If you stuck it on a normal flatbed trailer (assuming they make normal flatbed trailers that long), it might end up being too tall for clearance restrictions.

Well these flatbeds might not be exactly normal, but they seem common enough and capable of carrying a 40m / 130 ft bridge beam through city streets and under bridges with a fair degree of control. But clearly the other method works well enough that it isn't constantly in the news, so it must be relatively safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOfY5v64fQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD01WOjmmIQ

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Anyone interested in the I-84 project should be glad to hear that we've already gone through a couple dozen alternatives. Hopefully the DOT approves our draft Needs and Deficiencies report soon so I can give you guys some more details (and pictures!)

Edit: For anyone who can read German, spiegel.de had a good article today on how one town removed all traffic control devices - including signals. http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrkultur/verkehr-ohne-schilder-und-regeln-shared-space-in-bohmte-a-993212.html

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 29, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, looks like the East West Link in Melbourne (toll road) might happen. It's been a big issue for a year or two now with many protests but yesterday the government signed contracts to get it built, while we're 60 days from a state election. It will be an election issue because the opposition (who will probably win it) have said they'll tear up the contracts and not build the road ahead of a Metro (train) tunnel.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-30/east-west-link-cost-to-taxpayers/5778086

Anyway, video render of the two tunnel portals, what a mess of flyovers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHBjlnSvdM
I'd hate to live in those soon to be isolated buildings too.
Google maps of Western portal location:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.7876795,144.9411798,556m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

google maps of eastern portal location:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.7961501,144.9944523,524m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

It is controversial because most of the councils it runs through don't want it and challenged the government in the supreme court, which an appeal failed and the contract was signed that day. This first stage is $6.8 billion dollars for the 4.4km tunnel & entrances.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 30, 2014

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

drunkill posted:

Well, looks like the East West Link in Melbourne (toll road) might happen. It's been a big issue for a year or two now with many protests but yesterday the government signed contracts to get it built, while we're 60 days from a state election. It will be an election issue because the opposition (who will probably win it) have said they'll tear up the contracts and not build the road ahead of a Metro (train) tunnel.
<snip>

I guarantee the contracts have penalty clauses making it just as expensive for the government not to build it as to build it. This is really common when elected officials are doing the old reach-around for their donor buddies and don't actually care anything about the project, its goals or intentions, or any poo poo like that. It's all about donations and securing a post government gig.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh of course. It will return to the supreme court after the election regardless of the election outcome.

Anyway, a few renders:
The existing structure (Citylink) is the rightmost carriageway and the sound tunnel. All the ramps are to be built to connect with citylink and also connect with the future stage 2 of the project.

Existing sound tunnel (one of the default windows 7 desktop images actually) on the right, second soundwall to be built around the two new flyovers.

Eastern portal, new flyover for eastbound traffic to turn right bus and bike lane included, currently is is a weird loop on the left of the bridge.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm starting to want to be the pain in the rear end that holds a project up for months. Two separate counties are closing their sections of two parallel routes to the same place (ie one county closing a chunk of route A, the other a chunk of route B) and for the month or so they overlap it's going to massively gently caress everything up for anyone who has to travel that way. There is a third route that takes way longer, but they could just hold back the later project for a while until the other one is finished. Fuckers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like a cheap playground ride...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chaiT3RXXRk

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Pffft, typical second-world technology gap. The good ol' USA perfected wobbly-bridge tech in 1940.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's what I was thinking, haven't we learned by now how to not make wobbly suspension bridges?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Here's the (almost) finished product of that RRFB crossing concept I posted earlier. The bus stops will have concrete pads installed once construction is complete.

Varance fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 1, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Varance posted:

Here's the (almost) finished product of that RRFB crossing concept I posted earlier. The bus stops will have concrete pads installed once construction is complete.

About a year ago, they put up a pedestrian crossing visible slightly to the south of here, (South Miami) on a bike trail that crosses a busy four lane undivided roadway, only without the mast arms. Instead, each side of the street got a motion and button-activated gently caress-off bright multi-lamp Pedestrians In Roadway flashing signal, with neon-yellow reflectors all over it, and double stripes of that newish ultra-reflective tape on the road surface. Obligatory separate state law signage, etc, etc: It was REALLY GODAMNED HARD TO MISS.

Apparently not hard enough, though. Within three months, both signals had been hit and destroyed by vehicles, and haven't been replaced.

:v:

Miami is part of the third world.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Miami is part of the third world.
That's par for the course pretty much anywhere in Florida. It's like a game to see how fast someone can ruin new infrastructure. Built a new pedestrian bridge over a drainage ditch? gently caress it, I'm driving my car down there (the segment in the link was destroyed by a drunk driver that ended up in the gutter about a month ago).

I'm surprised the RRFBs on Busch Blvd have lasted as long as they have. The ones we put up in Telecom Park for the MetroRapid BRT project have been taken out over and over again.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 2, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Shamelessly stolen from AI: I live nowhere near here, thank god. (Make sure you rotate 180 degrees to see the full horror)

How could this be fixed, short of nuking it and starting over? I assume locals avoid it if at all possible, but it still seems like multiple accidents waiting to happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haifisch posted:

Shamelessly stolen from AI: I live nowhere near here, thank god. (Make sure you rotate 180 degrees to see the full horror)

How could this be fixed, short of nuking it and starting over? I assume locals avoid it if at all possible, but it still seems like multiple accidents waiting to happen.

Oh god it's like standing between two mirrors, just fractal intersections repeating in every direction.

I'd disconnect either Harding or water street from the intersection and make the other a 2-way street without parking. Or get rid of that nasty gas station and the parking lot south of it and maybe try to build a big roundabout? The area really feels like it was supposed to be a mostly pedestrian square but it's been horribly retrofitted over time to serve cars.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 2, 2014

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Haifisch posted:

It seems that Google is not without a sense of irony :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I always thought these arrows were cute. It's for a 5 way intersection. It couldn't be straight and right, because straight is the wrong way down a one way street. So, it's mostly straight but tending right, and hard right.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Haifisch posted:

Shamelessly stolen from AI: I live nowhere near here, thank god. (Make sure you rotate 180 degrees to see the full horror). How could this be fixed, short of nuking it and starting over? I assume locals avoid it if at all possible, but it still seems like multiple accidents waiting to happen.

It looks like they've done the smart thing and simply removed any signage, forcing drivers to work it out themselves. It's probably unnerving but is honestly safer than creating some kind of rule for drivers to rely upon. Personally I'd just ban cars from that entire intersection, that seems a lot cheaper than buying up all that real estate just to make it car-safe.

Oops, it looks like there's a couple of small Keep Right signs. Most of the signage then.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 3, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Haifisch posted:

This is why Brits invented the 7-legged roundabout. Plenty of space there to fit one in, particularly if you intrude a little on the parking lot.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I have another "why did they do this" question. North Carolina recently expanded a large portion of NC 211 into a 4 lane highway. Instead of a normal pavement then grass, they installed curb and gutter down almost the entire length of the road. On one side is a 6" barrier curb and in the median is a mountable curb. So if you have a flat, you pretty much can only go into the median. Is there a reason this was done?

This is the google maps for reference

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
There are literally no poor people living in Pinehurst, hence the overbuilt infrastructure. The place is trying to turn into an upscale retirement community ala Naples or The Villages, building up around Pinehurst Resort/Country Club (directly around 211). That's why the mast arms are ornate and the roundabout further down has brick pavers for medians.

This road in The Villages is of identical construction style. See the connection? Old rich people don't like puddles on their roads.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 5, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Yeah, I know that's why they don't want to do a bridge system to fix that lovely roundabout that fuckers can't drive on. I was just wondering what the purpose was, but considering it's Pinehurst who made the decision, probably just to keep the rabble off the side of the road, which is stupid as gently caress.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The curb on the right doesn't look like it'd be that difficult to pop since it's rounded, if that's the concern. But yeah, it's done to act as a rain gutter. Maybe it's on a flood plain. Here in Oregon those sorts of roads are really common, particularly in new suburbs, since we get lots of rain. The main difference is that we'll usually install them as part of a bike lane.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 5, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

The curb on the right doesn't look like it'd be that difficult to pop since it's rounded, if that's the concern. But yeah, it's done to act as a rain gutter. Maybe it's on a flood plain. Here in Oregon those sorts of roads are really common, particularly in new suburbs, since we get lots of rain. The main difference is that we'll usually install them as part of a bike lane.
That's exactly how you know this road is for rich old people. Down here, the only time we ever build a local road without a bike lane is if the area is affluent enough to push the project through using local funding. As of about a decade ago, any non-residential road built using state and/or federal funding in Florida has to have bike lanes, or you don't get $$$ for the project.

We've got roads in the middle of nowhere with bicycle infrastructure (and it gets used, too). poo poo built for rich people? Oh hell no.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Varance posted:

We've got roads in the middle of nowhere with bicycle infrastructure (and it gets used, too). poo poo built for rich people? Oh hell no.

Having narrow paved shoulders counts as bicycle infrastructure now? America has assloads of bike lanes then.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
There's a guy who hosts a ton of webinars for ASCE, and he's mentioned several times that a local community had them design a road so that the residents could drive their golf carts along the shoulder safely/legally.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Well it looks like they at least built a pair of multi-use paths, which are what Americans build when they think, "Oh let's be considerate for those weird non-car people". It's almost the right idea, except that they need to be put together and made two to three times wider.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

Well it looks like they at least built a pair of multi-use paths, which are what Americans build when they think, "Oh let's be considerate for those weird non-car people". It's almost the right idea, except that they need to be put together and made two to three times wider.

Not intended.

Anyway, you guys remember those fancy RRFB crosswalks I mentioned the other day? Well, it appears there's been an oversight in the design process. As part of the landscaping, palm trees have been planted directly in front of the RRFBs in the median.

:ughh:

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 6, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

Not intended.

Anyway, you guys remember those fancy RRFB crosswalks I mentioned the other day? Well, it appears there's been an oversight in the design process. As part of the landscaping, palm trees have been planted directly in front of the RRFBs in the median.

:ughh:

I'm not at all surprised. The landscapers never pay attention to the engineers. We tell them, "no, you cannot plant a tree there, it's in the clear zone." They do it anyway. We tell them, "do not put a bush there, it will block the pedestrian button." They do it anyway. We tell them, "stop landscaping the splitter islands, they're not being maintained and they end up a dusty mess." They do it anyway.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Some free market roadwork in the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETUV6x1bJ4
Never heard of that before!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropist posted:

Some free market roadwork in the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETUV6x1bJ4
Never heard of that before!

Just follow this one weird old trick - urban planners hate him!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He needs 1000 cars a day to break even. I don't know the traffic stats on that road but that seems a bit optimistic.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

He needs 1000 cars a day to break even. I don't know the traffic stats on that road but that seems a bit optimistic.

the landslide it bypassed is on the shortest route between bristol and bath

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3960846,-2.4197633,17z

Found an article that says he's going to break even by mid november-- so the last couple weeks before Christmas before it's set to open will be profitable!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11149220/Entrepreneurs-private-toll-road-welcomes-100000th-vehicle.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiznpGdVsiY
Innovative new traffic signal / detector system from Netherlands.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hah, that's clever. I have one area like that in my commute, where I choose which way to go based on the current state of the intersection's traffic light...

There's also an area in Amsterdam where there are two ped/bike ferry stations to cross the river, separated by a canal. Near the last bridge that crosses the canal there is a sign saying which ferry will come first, so that you can make sure you are on the correct side of the canal to catch the earliest one. Quite convenient!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

That is very cool :)

Speaking of bikes, we had a presentation on bike sharing today. Seems like it's catching on very rapidly, but they mentioned that LA tried it out and it failed. Any idea why?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

That is very cool :)

Speaking of bikes, we had a presentation on bike sharing today. Seems like it's catching on very rapidly, but they mentioned that LA tried it out and it failed. Any idea why?

Probably because LA sucks to bike in. :v:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nintendo Kid posted:

Probably because LA sucks to bike in. :v:

Yeah, but Boston was the worst city to bike in a few years ago. They had zero bicycle facilities a decade ago. They installed Hubway 3 years ago and they're already at something like 1 million trips per year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, but Boston was the worst city to bike in a few years ago. They had zero bicycle facilities a decade ago. They installed Hubway 3 years ago and they're already at something like 1 million trips per year.

I knew plenty of people who biked in Boston before there were special bike routes or facilities. Can't say the same for LA now or ever.

Boston being very compact helps for that.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The thing that impressed me most about the bicycle infrastructure in The Netherlands is that there are so many streets that actually have room for four lanes for cars (or some combination of cars, trams and on-street parking), two lanes for bicycles and relatively wide sidewalks. Were the streets always this wide or does the creation of bicycle infrastructure involve a lot of eminent domain/buying out landowners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

lavaca posted:

The thing that impressed me most about the bicycle infrastructure in The Netherlands is that there are so many streets that actually have room for four lanes for cars (or some combination of cars, trams and on-street parking), two lanes for bicycles and relatively wide sidewalks. Were the streets always this wide or does the creation of bicycle infrastructure involve a lot of eminent domain/buying out landowners?

If it was in the city, those are often canals that were paved over. Or in some cities, in areas bombed/cleared after WW2.