Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cernunnos posted:

I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.
[/quot

[quote="Cernunnos" post="435628758"]

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.

It was high well before that.

Looks like it went from 2 bucks to 4 just from the open.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Mantis rider has shot up significantly too. It went from dollar rare status to over 6 dollars.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

sarmhan posted:

Mantis rider has shot up significantly too. It went from dollar rare status to over 6 dollars.

I mean... Mantis rider is as fast a clock as Stormbreath Dragon unanswered, both played on time? (21 damage by turn 9 vs 20 damage by turn 9)
It's an aggressive threat that also plays defense for a control deck.

(Incidentally, if you curve out with just one of either, you can win by turn 6 with MR compared to turn 7 with SBD)

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 1, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just posting to say I was dead loving wrong saying Rabblemaster was going to be M15's Tidebinder Mage (core set creature that's a staple 4-of in only one deck and never goes above $3).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Ancient Tomb > Lotus Petal > Rabblemaster, Enter Combat > Rabblemaster trigger, Swing 1, Pass?

Brad Nelson and crew were running in the sideboard of the sneak/prison/stompy deck because the clock goes 1, 6, 8, dead. It's also popping up online in the stompy deck. for the same reason.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I traded for my Rabblemasters when they were only $1-2 apiece and because I was considering rebuilding Murdergoats; I thought it wouldn't work in Aggro due to costing 3 and not having haste but welp. \:shobon:/

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Speaking of, how much does a foil Rabblemaster go for these days? I nabbed one in a redraft (insanely, I was 4th place), and I've got no intention of building RabbleRed.
$25.00 a reasonable asking price?

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Speaking of, how much does a foil Rabblemaster go for these days? I nabbed one in a redraft (insanely, I was 4th place), and I've got no intention of building RabbleRed.
$25.00 a reasonable asking price?

Tcg mid is 21 right now - unfortunately there's almost no premium for standard foils

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Noah Sandler (http://www.twitch.tv/modogrinder1) is streaming an Innistrad draft where he has a really strong UG self-mill deck. He's just entering the third round now, and all four of his game wins were from Lab Maniac. :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Man it feels SO GOOD to be able to say I own 4 Flooded Strand. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago what the most valuable card I own is it would have been Ashiok or Thassa. :v:

Here's hoping I crack a Foil Fetch in Draft so I can lord it over everyone else in my store like the douchebag they already think I am after my insane Sealed pool from last week (2 Windswept Heath and a Flooded Strand).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I only need one more Sarkhan to complete my deck but JESUS gently caress what is going on with its price right now? How is it reaching Nissa levels of value in a set this heavily opened?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

I only need one more Sarkhan to complete my deck but JESUS gently caress what is going on with its price right now? How is it reaching Nissa levels of value in a set this heavily opened?

It will be heavily opened. Right now it hasn't been opened enough to drive prices down. The majority of players have done a few pre-releases and 1 FNM draft. Sarkhan did work at the SCG open so he is more in demand. Everyone is playing the GR deck. He has to be the most in demand card from Khans right now. He'll come down, but probably not until after Gameday I'd guess. By New Years he'll most likely be settling around $20-25 tops. Pray for good prize packs I guess, that is what I'm doing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah, we're only 5 days into Khans being fully available so supply hasn't caught up to demand yet. All the prices will have smoothed out by around Christmas and almost every non-Fetch Rare and non-Planeswalker Mythic will be bulk or at least >:10bux: by that time.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, I'd dump any Sarkhans you can while he's this high. Once the set gets opened more he'll fall. The set is just too valuable to sustain this price.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

stinkles1112 posted:

So can somebody tell me why Purphoros doesn't see more play? He seems potentially absurd in a shell with Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Bloodsoaked Champion and a number of other things. Are there easy answers to Gods that I'm not seeing besides Erase and Deicide? Because I really want to try a semi-budget token deck.

I played 3 Purphoros in a Standard deck tonight, I won all my matches but Purphoros was never responsible. He just doesn't do much on his own, and he may be good with other cards in the deck, but he makes it too easy for an opponent to shut me down by answering my other cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God drat I've got the biggest grin on my face right now.

Place 8th in a Tuesday standard, game 1 I mana screw after going to 6 and keeping a one lander on the play with 4 2 drops in hand as Mono Red "Control". Auto scoop after 3 turns of no lands.

Game 2 I get what is probably one of the best games of Magic I've played. Good trades. We both have lands, we're both on curve. I got to Ultimate Sarkhan and then play another one. My opponent, a good friend of mine and probably a better player than me, read the emblem wrong, and his reaction to it being essentially being "At the beginning of your upkeep, Recall, at the end of your turn, pitch." was priceless.

I wound up losing 0-2 but it was still fun, got 10 bucks in store cred, bought a draft set of Khans.

Bloodstained Mire, Icy Blast, Wooded Foothills. :dance:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I love that my brother traded a guy his Wingmate Roc for a Mantis Rider, a pair of Clash Pack Promo Prophets, and a handful of other things. I can't wait for it to fall so I can see him get burned on that deal. It's totally gonna hold at $10 guys. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

I love that my brother traded a guy his Wingmate Roc for a Mantis Rider, a pair of Clash Pack Promo Prophets, and a handful of other things. I can't wait for it to fall so I can see him get burned on that deal. It's totally gonna hold at $10 guys. :v:

I mean, I like the clash pack prophets too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I also think that MTGO has a bigger impact on shaping the metagame than people realize. The level of testing you can do with your buddies and a set of proxies isn't even close to what you can do on MTGO.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I also think that MTGO has a bigger impact on shaping the metagame than people realize. The level of testing you can do with your buddies and a set of proxies isn't even close to what you can do on MTGO.
Yea, MTGO being up before the pro tour is a huge deal in terms of format exploration and playtesting ability.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Brad Nelson and crew were running in the sideboard of the sneak/prison/stompy deck because the clock goes 1, 6, 8, dead. It's also popping up online in the stompy deck. for the same reason.
I play this deck. Can you explain the rabble in SB a bit to me?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

I can't see Wingmate Roc commanding too high a price either.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

I can't see Wingmate Roc commanding too high a price either.

I honestly kind of think that card is terrible, at least in the abzan midrange deck. You have to contort yourself like crazy to trigger it in a deck with mostly 4 and 5 drops, and it being a stone blank against stormbreath sure doesnt help matters.

I will give that it gets around elspeth, but elspeth is getting hated out by this format as it stands. If there is aggro-midrange deck thats base white then I like it, but its place is a curve topper, not a value play.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

Man it feels SO GOOD to be able to say I own 4 Flooded Strand. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago what the most valuable card I own is it would have been Ashiok or Thassa. :v:

Here's hoping I crack a Foil Fetch in Draft so I can lord it over everyone else in my store like the douchebag they already think I am after my insane Sealed pool from last week (2 Windswept Heath and a Flooded Strand).

I opened a foil Windswept Heath :toot:

Because I bought a box for 99 dollars like a total idiot

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

UberJew posted:

Assuming you got the average 3-4 non-Foil Fetches per box as well you'll come out ahead flipping them after rotation. If and when you want to cash out at some point after then.

If not whatever you've got a Foil Fetch.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

bhsman posted:

I traded for my Rabblemasters when they were only $1-2 apiece and because I was considering rebuilding Murdergoats; I thought it wouldn't work in Aggro due to costing 3 and not having haste but welp. \:shobon:/
I tried to get them right after the prerelease, but no one thought it was any good so they didn't even bother bringing it around for trade.

Then everyone told me I was just trying to play a gimmick deck when I said when I wanted to play standard goblins again.

I did manage to open one and buy out the 3 copies in the store though back when they were $4, not playing standard right now so the price spike is pretty nice if I'm looking to trade for stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

I honestly kind of think that card is terrible, at least in the abzan midrange deck. You have to contort yourself like crazy to trigger it in a deck with mostly 4 and 5 drops, and it being a stone blank against stormbreath sure doesnt help matters.

I will give that it gets around elspeth, but elspeth is getting hated out by this format as it stands. If there is aggro-midrange deck thats base white then I like it, but its place is a curve topper, not a value play.

People said "it needs other cards around it to be good" about Master of Waves too. The raid trigger is good enough its worth sacrificing your Elvish Mystic or Courser. It just goes against your instincts to attack into Polukranos with a Courser or whatever.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 1, 2014

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Just came back from a KTK draft, and the guy next to me passed me a Bloodstained Mire. He said he was fine with it even after I told him it was a money card. That along with my Polluted Delta in my second pack made for an awesome night.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

UberJew posted:

Well, at least you basically got the best-case scenario out of that situation, namely a foil fetch (I guess it could have been a blue fetch but whatever).

Now never do it again. :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

Well, at least you basically got the best-case scenario out of that situation, namely a foil fetch (I guess it could have been a blue fetch but whatever).

Now never do it again. :colbert:

Are you telling me to do it again?

Because I know several people who have opened more than three boxes of Khans.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The guy my brother traded his Wingmate Roc to last Friday opened 4 boxes of Khans.:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

He probably left the store's back room a mess of pack wrappers too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The owner of my local store's husband opens up cases of product for singles and their own collections. :allears:

e: He had the entire set in foil, mythics and fetches included, by the the Thursday after pre-release. Including promo and non-promos. Man is insane.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Why not just buy a playset of fetches for the same price???

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

KidDynamite posted:

Why not just buy a playset of fetches for the same price???

You'll never get a foil playset of Polluted Deltas with that attitude!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
On opening boxes for cards, which I don't recommend:

Once upon a time, there was a set called Planar Chaos that just released. In the set, there was the shifted Wrath of God, namely Damnation. Yours truly wanted one; however, he wanted 1. A Japanese one. 2. If possible, a foil one.

So he bought a box of Japanese (80-100$ or whatever it cost at the time). He picked it up on the way to work, sat in the parking lot, and decided to open a couple of packs to see what happened.

Pack 1: Blank. Nothing. Ok, re-roll
Pack 2: Foil, Japanese, Damnation. Seeing that, he shook his head and went to work.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

logis posted:

Once upon a time, there was a set called Planar Chaos that just released. In the set, there was the shifted Wrath of God, namely Damnation. Yours truly wanted one; however, he wanted 1. A Japanese one. 2. If possible, a foil one.

So he bought a box of Japanese (80-100$ or whatever it cost at the time). He picked it up on the way to work, sat in the parking lot, and decided to open a couple of packs to see what happened.

Pack 2: Foil, Japanese, Damnation. Seeing that, he shook his head and went to work.

So you sold the rest of those, right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Count Bleck posted:

I hate opening packs but I did win 3 boxes of Khans in various FNMs leading up to the set's release.

Total haul: 15 fetches, 2 Sorins, 0 Sarkhans.

I have to admit, opening an entire booster box is fun.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

logis posted:

Heh, I have a similar story. I bought like 6 packs of Planar Chaos when I was visiting my relatives in Germany. Opened a foil Damnation. I was pretty excited.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I won 48 packs in prereleases, and only opened 1 fetchland, but 3 Nexus of Ugin.
Counting my 3 sealed pools from the weekend I added one more fetchland, and completed the playset of Nexuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

I have to admit, opening an entire booster box is fun.

More fun is watching someone's terrified reaction when you play Flip and Rip. I thought it was stupid, then I actually played it. Everyone should try it at least once, especially with a new player.

• Locked thread