Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

SourceElement posted:

At the start of the game, after you arrive at the first town, you're told to go right. What the game doesn't tell you is that if you go left instead, and backtrack to where you fought the first boss, you get the opportunity to fight a late-game boss.

To be fair, the Yeti doesn't despawn from there until you kill the boss in the Sewers, and by that point you have an item that you know opens doors in that area that you couldn't get to before, so standard Metroidvania autism assumes that you would go back and try to unlock that stuff, forcing you into combat with that boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is Valdis Story the one where you have to fill combat skill slots with boring but necessary traversal skills

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Valdis Story is the one that loving Goons recommended when it was in a Steam sale and it turned out to be utter shite after an hours play because some subsection of Goons will recommend literally any game no matter how terrible it is.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

spudsbuckley posted:

Valdis Story is the one that loving Goons recommended when it was in a Steam sale and it turned out to be utter shite after an hours play because some subsection of Goons will recommend literally any game no matter how terrible it is.

Just going by the posts in this thread, it kind of sounds like one of those situations where the game never bothers to explain anything and has weird unintuitive mechanics that can screw you over if you don't figure them out. Which indeed a lot of goons (and gamers in general) downright worship because they think ANY tutorial or in-game explanation of anything is "handholding for babies."

But I'm not all that familiar with the game so I could be off.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Valdis Story could explain every mechanic down to the line of code that was written about it for all I care but that's not going to stop how stiff it feels to control your character.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Valdis Story could explain every mechanic down to the line of code that was written about it for all I care but that's not going to stop how stiff it feels to control your character.

Well I mean there's a weird subset of players who will excuse pretty much anything else wrong with a game as long as it's really obtuse or allows you to screw yourself over so badly you have to start over.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Kimmalah posted:

Well I mean there's a weird subset of players who will excuse pretty much anything else wrong with a game as long as it's really obtuse or allows you to screw yourself over so badly you have to start over.

Indeed. There's about 100 utterly loving awful games in my Steam library as a result of these people.

"It's a great game once you learn how to blah blah blah the Eternal blahdy-shite Gauntlet mode. Only noobs don't like it because they have to put in too much research to enjoy it :mmmsmug: "

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm sorry you all have bad taste in video games / I have bad taste in video games.

I thought Valdis Story was great, if a bit anime in places. I found the controls to be really solid. The fact that there are secrets in the game shouldn't be a surprise as the game is designed to be replayed multiple times. Getting all salty sad about "screwing yourself over" (you can't actually do this, the game is never impossible to complete) in a retro-styled game is really confusing to me.

Not to say the game doesn't have its faults, especially on the "explaining basic game mechanics" front (such as some platforming controls not being explained terribly well), but I personally had no issues figuring all that stuff out just fine on my own.

Valdis Story is a good game. It's not for everyone, but it's a good game.

Edit: Content -- Path of Exile is an ARPG with different leagues that separate the player base. The "standard" league has a completely hosed economy due to existing since beta. It also has tons of legacy equipment (items that were changed due to balance concerns and the like, but already existing items were left intact). Every league eventually dumps in to the "Standard" league. New leagues are frequently created, but they only last three months before joining Standard. This means you only get three months to play in a fun normal economy before you have to completely start over in order to avoid subjecting yourself to Standard. I honestly wish they would change Standard to "Legacy" and start dumping leagues into a new Standard. It would only be a temporary fix, but it would at least mean I could get some more fun out the stuff I've acquired before having to completely start over again.

Tykero has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Sep 30, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tykero posted:

I'm sorry you all have bad taste in video games / I have bad taste in video games.

I thought Valdis Story was great, if a bit anime in places. I found the controls to be really solid. The fact that there are secrets in the game shouldn't be a surprise as the game is designed to be replayed multiple times. Getting all salty sad about "screwing yourself over" (you can't actually do this, the game is never impossible to complete) in a retro-styled game is really confusing to me.

Not to say the game doesn't have its faults, especially on the "explaining basic game mechanics" front (such as some platforming controls not being explained terribly well), but I personally had no issues figuring all that stuff out just fine on my own.

Valdis Story is a good game. It's not for everyone, but it's a good game.

I personally know nothing about this game and really don't have an opinion on it, it was more of a general comment based on the posts in here.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kimmalah, your anti-Valdis Story agenda has been dragging this thread down from the start. Don't try to pass the blame here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Kimmalah, your anti-Valdis Story agenda has been dragging this thread down from the start. Don't try to pass the blame here.

Clearly spudsbuckley is the ringleader here.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I cannot figure out how to gently put the ball over the net like the computer does in Virtua Tennis 3.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 4: the fishing minigame is poorly explained and also hard on my fingers.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I love Resident Evil 4 and never tried 5 so I decided to Gamefly it and check it out. Holy poo poo I can't stand this game. Why on Gods green earth did they think cramming an AI companion in for the entire game was a good idea? Wow, I'm sure glad I get to juggle two inventories and deal with Sheva deciding to use herbs on me when I have barely a scratch. Oh, you're out of ammo? Maybe try to not fire your gun wildly at every enemy. Oh awesome, I'm out of ammo and I'm surrounded by enemies, well at least I can run oh wait now she's knocked down, better run to help oh poo poo she's dead.

Literally all my problems would be solved by removing the companion. I'm sure it's cool as hell in co-op, but it's a nightmare on single player. I NEVER had ammo issues in 4, but in this one I'm desperatly scrounging for ammo while Sheva wastes it as soon as she gets it, but I have to giver her some or she's dead.

I'm gonna just play 4 again.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
RE5 was weird. It treats even single player like multiplayer sessions, you can grind previous levels for ammo and loot and bring it back to wherever you currently are. This doesn't solve the problem of the AI being an idiot but it helps.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I love Resident Evil 4 and never tried 5 so I decided to Gamefly it and check it out. Holy poo poo I can't stand this game. Why on Gods green earth did they think cramming an AI companion in for the entire game was a good idea? Wow, I'm sure glad I get to juggle two inventories and deal with Sheva deciding to use herbs on me when I have barely a scratch. Oh, you're out of ammo? Maybe try to not fire your gun wildly at every enemy. Oh awesome, I'm out of ammo and I'm surrounded by enemies, well at least I can run oh wait now she's knocked down, better run to help oh poo poo she's dead.

Literally all my problems would be solved by removing the companion. I'm sure it's cool as hell in co-op, but it's a nightmare on single player. I NEVER had ammo issues in 4, but in this one I'm desperatly scrounging for ammo while Sheva wastes it as soon as she gets it, but I have to giver her some or she's dead.

I'm gonna just play 4 again.

Resident Evil 5 was such a disappointment. It's like someone played that one village holdout event at the beginning of RE4 and decided, "lets make an entire game that's just this".

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Xoidanor posted:

Resident Evil 5 was such a disappointment. It's like someone played that one village holdout event at the beginning of RE4 and decided, "lets make an entire game that's just this".

What kills me is that 4, again, had the perfect mix of enemy placements. It was enough to be action packed and awesome, but not so many to make it a slog. 5 just doesn't stop, you'll have an assload of normal zombies, those annoying as gently caress dog monsters and maybe 1 of those fat guys that don't flinch unless you shoot a shotgun right at them. At a certain point it stops being fun and starts being a huge chore. The battle with the chainsaw zombie was horrible. In 4 you had plenty of room to get away from him and he'd stagger, in this the dude will soak up like 6 shotgun blasts and you're forced to just run up and down the map while his buddies plink at you too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Resident Evil 5 is a fun little game, that's doomed to be the sequel to one of the best ever. It's not the only game cursed with this fate.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Final Fantasy 8 Syndrome.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

The Final Fantasy 8 Syndrome.

FF8 owns though and is way better than 7.

If it was 9, then you would have a point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alteisen posted:

FF8 owns though and is way better than 7.

If it was 9, then you would have a point.

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series. Sure the villains sorta suck but the entire game is gorgeous, the battle system is awesome and the story is pretty fun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series. Sure the villains sorta suck but the entire game is gorgeous, the battle system is awesome and the story is pretty fun.

actually that's Cecil and it's not particularly close IMO

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Austrian mook posted:

actually that's Cecil and it's not particularly close IMO

Notice how I said playstation series.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OldTennisCourt posted:

Notice how I said playstation series.

oops.

E: I like FF10 a lot by the way

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Zidane is barely a character and saying the villains suck is a loving understatement, the battle system is your bog standard ATB stuff with skills, its nothing special.

Not saying FF8 was any better of course.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

:hfive:

OldTennisCourt posted:

What kills me is that 4, again, had the perfect mix of enemy placements. It was enough to be action packed and awesome, but not so many to make it a slog. 5 just doesn't stop, you'll have an assload of normal zombies, those annoying as gently caress dog monsters and maybe 1 of those fat guys that don't flinch unless you shoot a shotgun right at them. At a certain point it stops being fun and starts being a huge chore. The battle with the chainsaw zombie was horrible. In 4 you had plenty of room to get away from him and he'd stagger, in this the dude will soak up like 6 shotgun blasts and you're forced to just run up and down the map while his buddies plink at you too.

If you're willing to go back to RE5, managing Sheva's inventory is the way to go. Give her guns and stuff you don't want to use, and thus she can't hold you back too badly.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alteisen posted:

Not saying FF8 was any better of course.

Put draw on each of your characters, use the healing spells that every boss conveniently has on them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kazil posted:

Put draw on each of your characters, use the healing spells that every boss conveniently has on them.

Or just learn the ability to turn items into spells and start doing 9999 damage from disc 1 and gently caress healing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

oops.

Which is the best FF game so don't let people tell you otherwise. :colbert:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Valdis Story was a cool looking game with beat gameplay that sucks because it ranks you on boss fights and rewards you accordingly so your stats and items are limited to how well you do on them. That poo poo sucks and is not fun.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

OldTennisCourt posted:

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series.

Agreed. Vivi owns.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Every Final Fantasy game is simultaneously the best and the worst game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

FF9 is the only game I've never made it even halfway through. It's just so thoroughly unengaging. FF8 has a weird story, but the ways they encourage you to break the game and become a walking god are fun, as is the card game. I'm not sure I could tell you anything about FF9 other than there's a play or something that takes way too loving long near the start, and then there's a weird tongue monster thing that joins your party. It just doesn't have any hook to grab you.

FF7 had the whole "wow it's 3D!" and the materia system. FF8 had Draw and Cards. FF10 had the sphere grid and voice acting that was almost good in some spots. FF12 had an actual good story in spite of Vaan.

FF6 had the entire game, though. drat what a fun game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Kruller posted:

FF9 is the only game I've never made it even halfway through. It's just so thoroughly unengaging. FF8 has a weird story, but the ways they encourage you to break the game and become a walking god are fun, as is the card game. I'm not sure I could tell you anything about FF9 other than there's a play or something that takes way too loving long near the start, and then there's a weird tongue monster thing that joins your party. It just doesn't have any hook to grab you.

FF7 had the whole "wow it's 3D!" and the materia system. FF8 had Draw and Cards. FF10 had the sphere grid and voice acting that was almost good in some spots. FF12 had an actual good story in spite of Vaan.

FF9's hook is the same as Tactics Advance's, which is to say "custom load your dudes with a shitton of cool skills." No coincidence that I love both games.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kruller posted:

Objection, the world of ruin had way too little direction.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive:

If you're willing to go back to RE5, managing Sheva's inventory is the way to go. Give her guns and stuff you don't want to use, and thus she can't hold you back too badly.

Or better yet, unlock infinite ammo for a weapon and give her that, then you'll never have to manage her ammo ever again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FF9's other hook is specifically "back to basics after 7 and 8."

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Final Fantasy X-2 was pretty fun, probably my favorite actually. The only thing that drags it down is you need 2.5 playthroughs to get 3 of the best dress sphere, Lady Luck.

e* actually wait I may be misremembering, I guess you only need one of each dress sphere? In that case, nothing drags it down.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The tank fights in Peace Walker are too god drat long. I thought maybe they were balanced for multiplayer but the one time i found a co-op partner the number of enemies nearly doubled, so it's not that. There are four enemies "protecting" the tank at any given time, but they're actually useless and can barely see in front of their faces, whereas the tank commander has perfect sight and hearing. You can fight the tanks too but it's way unintuitive, it seems like the only way to reliably avoid their missiles is some kind of weird circle-strafing. Not cover, because they can just overshoot you and kill you with splash damage. It's frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The AI allies in Hyrule Warriors can lose the battle for you. How am I supposed to defend all these forts when you guys are just standing there and letting the monsters steal all of our poo poo???