Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think 8.0.2 actually fixed any bugs aside from the one breaking service and Touch ID, honestly. I mean, no one is reporting anything being fixed, yet the same issues we had with 8.0 are popping up left and right.
It lets you download HealthKit apps though, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

This app is great but that loading spinner is one ugly mofo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bug report: I can't cancel out of editing posts. I hit cancel, then "delete edit" and the dialog disappears but I am still in the editing window. Hitting "save draft" also doesn't take me out of the editing window. The only want to get away from editing is to hit the save button on the post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

withak posted:

Bug report: I can't cancel out of editing posts. I hit cancel, then "delete edit" and the dialog disappears but I am still in the editing window. Hitting "save draft" also doesn't take me out of the editing window. The only want to get away from editing is to hit the save button on the post.

I've heard that's going around :( I don't think the next version is affected (maybe someone else can confirm that/call me a liar), so whenever it finally gets reviewed we should be ok. Sorry about that (same to everyone else affected).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I'm making the transition from android > apple and by proxy from android SA app to the iPhone SA app. Got the 6+ and the only real gripe I've got isn't something I'm even sure is an Awful app gripe or an iPhone gripe.

Anyway, when I swipe rightward from the left edge to jump between threads I have to start my swipe from the absolute edge for it to take effect. I have decent sized hands and have been fairly effective in using the phone only with my right hand but this is one place where it gets really hard not to involve the other hand.

Any chance this is something that could be looked at or improved upon?

Otherwise, no complaints. Really a testament to the people on this forum that both OS's Awful apps are some of the best I've used.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Not a dev but I think that's more of an issue with third party apps. I notice the behavior you're describing in awful and alien blue. While using the stock apple apps swiping seems to be easier.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

wattershed posted:

I'm making the transition from android > apple and by proxy from android SA app to the iPhone SA app. Got the 6+ and the only real gripe I've got isn't something I'm even sure is an Awful app gripe or an iPhone gripe.

Anyway, when I swipe rightward from the left edge to jump between threads I have to start my swipe from the absolute edge for it to take effect. I have decent sized hands and have been fairly effective in using the phone only with my right hand but this is one place where it gets really hard not to involve the other hand.

Any chance this is something that could be looked at or improved upon?

Otherwise, no complaints. Really a testament to the people on this forum that both OS's Awful apps are some of the best I've used.

It's not an uncommon complaint. I'm used to starting from the bezel so I keep forgetting to play with it. I'll pop it back on the list.

And thanks for the compliments!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hey, I have a problem where whenever I want to copy the url of a picture, it doesn't work. Could you take a look at this for me?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smoking Crow posted:

Hey, I have a problem where whenever I want to copy the url of a picture, it doesn't work. Could you take a look at this for me?
I believe your problem is that you upgraded to iOS 8 before awful was updated to support it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

...which won't be an issue once I sort out this metadata rejection!

Also who doesn't coordinate their upgrade plan with Awful's well-defined and publicized release schedule?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anyone having issues responding to pms?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Speaking of PMs, tonight I was wondering if that's a place we should break from following the desktop forums and group messages by username.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Outside of 'find my car' what updates are really predicted for Maps? I can't explain why but I am always trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The forums will be accessible with new navigational paths and sometimes you will have to find alternate routes to certain posts.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Hopefully they add an option to avoid toll roads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Is it the thread tag? Thread reordering after a refresh? This happens more often than the "never" I'd expect.

The Dave posted:

Speaking of PMs, tonight I was wondering if that's a place we should break from following the desktop forums and group messages by username.

How do you mean?

We could pretty naively group into threads too, like Mail, based on the sender and subject.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

How do you mean?

We could pretty naively group into threads too, like Mail, based on the sender and subject.

I was thinking of It more like messages, where the top level is user, then drills down to messages. Maybe that adds an unnecessary later though.

Grouping into threads like mail would be pretty badass too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While on that same note of app only features, "Removed Bookmarks" would be huge for the clumsy. (I just accidentally removed a bookmark this morning and have no clue what it was.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

While on that same note of app only features, "Removed Bookmarks" would be huge for the clumsy. (I just accidentally removed a bookmark this morning and have no clue what it was.)

Shake to undo removal?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That would certainly cure the at-the-moment accident.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I was thinking of It more like messages, where the top level is user, then drills down to messages. Maybe that adds an unnecessary later though.

Grouping into threads like mail would be pretty badass too.

I don't really do a roaring trade in PMs so I have little personal investment either way. Though speaking of PMs, I've had "show all the messages in the Inbox" on my todo list for ages.

The Dave posted:

I'm not a huge fan of this, because that's a lot of app-only state, but

Subjunctive posted:

Shake to undo removal?
I am totally on board for.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Have you ever thought about adding a filter to only show threads with unread posts on the bookmarks screen? On a desktop, I can quickly scan to find the threads I haven't caught up on yet, but on my phone there are only 5 or 6 onscreen at a time. I end up scrolling up and down the whole list to see if there are any threads with posts to read.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

Have you ever thought about adding a filter to only show threads with unread posts on the bookmarks screen? On a desktop, I can quickly scan to find the threads I haven't caught up on yet, but on my phone there are only 5 or 6 onscreen at a time. I end up scrolling up and down the whole list to see if there are any threads with posts to read.

Isn't this case pretty much solved by the "Sort unread threads first" option? It does the trick for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have sort unread threads first enabled? I don't think it's enabled by default, and it might as well be.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I did not realize that was an option! That does pretty much solve the problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It infuriates me that the web site doesn't have unread-first.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Subjunctive posted:

It infuriates me that the web site doesn't have unread-first.
SA Last Read extension does, and I've been using that for yeeeeeears, so going between my PC and Awful on my iPhone is a pretty seamless transition.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't follow the thread so maybe this has been covered, but could there be a way to hide the little grenades and the join date below usernames?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

Do you have sort unread threads first enabled? I don't think it's enabled by default, and it might as well be.

I wish this worked for more than bookmarks, because I never use bookmarks.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

poo poo, wrong thread.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

zachol posted:

I don't follow the thread so maybe this has been covered, but could there be a way to hide the little grenades and the join date below usernames?
How else are you going to know which posts are worth reading?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the iPhone 6, the black levels on the screen are so good that you can barely see the screen edge on the curved sides if the background is straight black. Maybe worth trying a dark mode with black post backgrounds?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So did you gently caress and chuck someone's sister in the app approval department to earn their scorn or are all approvals taking this long?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xilni posted:

So did you gently caress and chuck someone's sister in the app approval department to earn their scorn or are all approvals taking this long?

There is supposedly a big backlog, but it sounds like the update was rejected for not having a privacy policy, despite never needing one before.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Diabolik900 posted:

There is supposedly a big backlog, but it sounds like the update was rejected for not having a privacy policy, despite never needing one before.

Not the worst reason for an app rejection as long as it's applied consistently and they crack down on those stupid apps that rob your data after you've essentially let them access everything.

Pity it delayed the release though, I can imagine the tears from users on the 6+'s screen.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xilni posted:

Not the worst reason for an app rejection as long as it's applied consistently and they crack down on those stupid apps that rob your data after you've essentially let them access everything.

Agreed. The only thing that annoyed me is that it wasn't an issue with any previous version, but some quick Googling suggests this is actually a new rule as of iOS 8, so I'd say it's a totally fair rejection.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This Github Repository has diffs of the app policy:
https://github.com/jaredsinclair/AppStoreReviewGuidelines/commit/46ed21b844473343680282b40800304e28381e5f?diff=split

Might want to watch out for this other new one too:

quote:

14.3 Apps that display user generated content must include a method for filtering objectionable material, a mechanism for users to flag offensive content, and the ability to block abusive users from the service.

Maybe exposing Ignore List and Report functionality would address that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get why Apple is doing that but goddamn it's like they don't want people to read internet forums on iOS.

How's that mobile interface for the website coming, Lowtax? :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

This Github Repository has diffs of the app policy:
https://github.com/jaredsinclair/AppStoreReviewGuidelines/commit/46ed21b844473343680282b40800304e28381e5f?diff=split

Maybe exposing Ignore List and Report functionality would address that?

It would for users with plat. Which does not include the account I give App Review for testing. So I don't know how well that would go over.

I remember Awful getting rejected back when we were switching to my App Store account because you could access TCC. Got a screenshot with a pot leaf and everything.

And then Awful got rejected because it just showed the SA login screen in a web view, and if you worked at it you could break out of the login screen and buy stuff from SA without Apple getting their 30%.

Anyway, it's "In Review" right now and has been for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

smackfu posted:

quote:

14.3 Apps that display user generated content must include a method for filtering objectionable material..

What exactly would Awful display with this option turned on?

• Locked thread