Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008
...so, I'm not sure how I should feel about my Yeti teammate, Skate. I mean, I'm pretty sure the reason we won both of our last two matches was because people kept attacking Skate during his nap, but it just does not take much at all to get a Yeti to pass out, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Astus posted:

...so, I'm not sure how I should feel about my Yeti teammate, Skate. I mean, I'm pretty sure the reason we won both of our last two matches was because people kept attacking Skate during his nap, but it just does not take much at all to get a Yeti to pass out, does it?

Yeah, I was just thinking that Yetis had way too low of a pain tolerance.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
drat, I really thought we had that one for a while there.

I'm rather disappointed with archery in general; it's just not as effective as one would hope.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Based on names alone, I want Throwbacks to win. Taardvark :golfclap:

quote:

Taardvark gets all four kills.
... so what kinds of names do you like, again?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I'm rather disappointed with archery in general; it's just not as effective as one would hope.

Seems to be at least as effective as making a Yeti. In fact, I think I'll make a Yeti Archer for the next tournament. What could go wrong? (Really hope I get paired with an all Yeti team next tournament)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Based on skills I never would have imagined the Moleman would have completely destroyed the gremlin like that. Atom had no way to really hurt the moleman, was only bruising muscle, so that really sucked for him.

Edit: EPOP seriously held off 3 fighters at once, severely crippled one, and then held off two for quite a while. Good show, Antwoman.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 30, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Based on skills I never would have imagined the Moleman would have completely destroyed the gremlin like that. Atom had no way to really hurt the moleman, was only bruising muscle, so that really sucked for him.

Edit: EPOP seriously held off 3 fighters at once, severely crippled one, and then held off two for quite a while. Good show, Antwoman.

What did you expect from the Embodied Principle of Perfection?

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Astus posted:

(Really hope I get paired with an all Yeti team next tournament)

You and me both. The Yetis shall have their day! :black101:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Locomotive breath posted:

You and me both. The Yetis shall have their day! :black101:

Think about it this way: You have a team with 3 yetis and 1 non-yeti. The 3 yetis pass out from pain immediately but are hard to finish off. As long as the non-yeti is able to win in a 1v1 against the person not flailing away at an unconscious yeti they just have to move from person to person killing the people focused on finishing off a yeti.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ZeeToo posted:

You're telling me. :sigh: This has been a frustrating character to have - other than one or two lucky shots, all he seems to be good for is missed shots and serving as the butt of commissioners' jokes.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Podima posted:

all he seems to be good for is missed shots and serving as the butt of commissioners' jokes.

Thank you for this by the way. If not you, I would have picked on someone else relentlessly. Since Munki is on my team I am unable to pick on his fighter.

Also ZeeToo: never expected what EPOP gave in that fight. Thought skill too low, but way to prove me wrong. Again; I am the worst commissioner with a bare minimal understanding of the game mechanics and what skills do what.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Nothing dazzling, but a solid performance. Can't be unhappy with that.

Go Throwbacks! We're through to the playoffs :toot:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there any chance the tournament site could have a practice character builder/macro maker? I'm already working on my character for the next one. :getin:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am not Jazz but a pretty simple way to do this would be an open tournament that never starts with a half dozen of each race set up that everyone has access to. Then someone can be editing dwarf 1 and downloading the macro while other people are in dwarf 2, antman 4, gremlin 1, and yeti 6 doing the same.

Jazz probably has a far easier way to so it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What do you guys think about the next tournament being kind of a tag team thing? Like, you have four fighters for teams A and B. Drop A1 and B1 into the arena. When one dies, spawn in the next fighter in the losing team. It would put a little bit more emphasis on one-on-one fighting without size simply ruling the day (because of fatigue and enduring damage). Just a thought. You could run it either randomly, in terms of order of combat, or it could be decided upon by the team.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
We won a round, I'm vindicated. The market works.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I can see some arguments against it. Having no offensive line to help and enemies averaging halfway towards them if they aren't the first out would be a nerf for archers. Who... don't need it. There's some lesser things, but that's the biggest one I can think of.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Astus posted:

Well I'm glad I can at least distract people by being a particularly thick punching bag. This time I actually got a decent hit in, hooray! I'll admit that I didn't expect our team to make it to the playoffs, mostly due to Skate being on it. Thank god the rest of my team is competent in a fight.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Round 3, Match 6 :siren:

Both of these teams will make it to the playoffs, but which one will have undefeated bragging rights?

On the left, Team Legs, featuring from top to bottom: Stinky Skinky the Serpent Woman managed by Zaltys, I Feel Asleep the Serpent Man managed by The Mattybee, Altoid the Dwarf managed by Ghostwoods and Don't hurt me the Strangler managed by Khisanth Magus.

On the right, All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long, featuring from top to bottom: Little Prick the Gremlin managed by Bad Munki, Fed After Midnight the Gremlin managed by my dad, long Name To Annoy Commish the Serpent Man (abbreviated lNTAC below) managed by Spermy Smurf and Retchin' Gretchen the Goblin managed by Mlle.

This ought to be exciting!

The eight fighters run screaming towards the center of the ring. Mild blows are exchanged until I Feel Asleep sinks his pick into Little Prick's left hand, earning him first blood! Little Prick drops a steel dagger to the floor. lNTAC evens out the wound total within seconds by shattering the bones in Don't hurt me's right foot. Don't hurt me falls, conscious but reduced to crawling. After several tense moments where no real damage is taken Fed After Midnight comes out of nowhere and decapitates I Feel Asleep with a flash of blue, earning him first kill!

*Current team status*
Team Legs: One dead, one grounded, two near perfect health.
All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long: One wounded, three near perfect health.

Altoid is not happy that his teammate has fallen. He takes out some frustration by crushing lNTAC's left eye! Undeterred lNTAC bashes Don't hurt me in the spine followed immediately by Retchin' Gretchen fracturing Don't hurt me's skull! Fed After Midnight gets a good slash in on Stinky Skinky's right arm, causing her to drop her whip.

Retchin' Gretchen smashes Don't hurt me's right leg with a bone shattering crunch! Don't hurt me retaliates by smashing one of Retchin' Gretchen's teeth out with his shield. After a long interlude of ineffective strikes Altoid kicks lNTAC in his right eye, collapsing it! Now lNTAC is either blind or close to it! Don't hurt me takes the opportunity to clamp his strong teeth down on lNTAC's left arm. At the same time Stinky Skinky surprises Fed After Midnight by biting him in the right hand deep enough to inject venom! Fed After Midnight, knowing he doesn't have much time, frantically stabs out with his sword. The sword gets stuck scale deep in Stinky Skinky's tail. Before Fed After Midnight can wrench it out though he collapses, fully paralyzed!

*Current team status*
Team Legs: One dead, one grounded, one wounded, one near perfect health.
All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long: One paralyzed, one nearly blind, one wounded and one near perfect health.

Don't hurt me aggressively shakes lNTAC around by his left arm, ripping flesh and tendons and bruising bone! Eventually Don't hurt me causes enough pain and lNTAC blacks out. The ravenous snake shaking continues as arteries are broken and more tendons are torn. Eventually Don't hurt me is distracted enough that he has to fight somebody else, to no avail. Altoid works over lNTAC's head, eventually fracturing the skull! Fed After Midnight overcomes paralysis and performs a few ineffectual attacks from the ground. Fed After Midnight stands up just in time to see Don't hurt me decapitate lNTAC with his pick.

Stinky Skinky knows that Fed After Midnight can be dangerous if allowed to get his sword back. Stinky Skinky decides the best way to deal with this is biting Fed After Midnight again and injecting more venom. Meanwhile Retchin' Gretchen smashes Don't hurt me, bruising a lung!

Retchin' Gretchen bashes Don't hurt me hard enough to bruise his liver! Altoid, in an attempt to one-up Retchin', bashes Fed After Midnight hard enough to bruise his guts! Retchin' bruises Don't hurt me's right lung in response. Altoid wins the bash-off by exploding Fed After Midnight's right leg! Fed After Midnight becomes enraged and then immediately blacks out. One more bash from Altoid and Fed After Midnight's head explodes.

*Current team status*
Team Legs: One dead, one grounded, one wounded, one near perfect health.
All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long: Two dead, one wounded and one near perfect health.

Don't hurt me scratches Retchin' Gretchen's skin and she goes into a rage! Stinky Skinky bites Little Prick in the finger, shattering a nail and latching on! Altoid explodes Little Prick's left arm. Stinky Skinky shakes Little Prick by his finger, severing it and keeping it in her mouth. Retchin' Gretchen smashes Don't hurt me in the neck, fracturing his upper spine! She follows up by crushing the Strangler's right foot. Again Gretchen strikes, this time crunching bones in Don't hurt me's left foot! Don't hurt me cries out in pain and then cuts off Retchin' Gretchen's left leg completely! Gretchen falls over but is still enraged, she breaks more bones in Don't hurt me's right foot from the ground. Retchin' Gretchen has gone insane and decides to bite Stinky Skinky in the head, somehow latching on through an iron helmet! Stinky Skinky is obviously stunned by this predicament. Don't hurt me thuds his pick into Retchin' Gretchen's chest hard enough to bruise her heart, but all she does in response is shake Stinky Skinky by the head. Stinky Skinky blacks out from the unrelenting pain. Meanwhile Altoid and Little Prick have been having a fruitless sparring session, until now. Altoid smashes Little Prick's right leg into the rest of his body, causing Little Prick to black out! One more bash to the head and Altoid ends Little Prick's life.

Don't hurt me gets a shot in on Retchin' Gretchen, bruising her right lung. Retchin' Gretchen fractures Stinky Skinky's skull in response. Don't hurt me gets another good hit in, bruising Gretchen's pancreas.

Altoid gets in real close to Retchin' Gretchin and bites her left eyelid, latching on! Luckily Retchin' Gretchen is able to easily remove the Dwarf from her eye. Retchin' Gretchen walks over to Stinky Skinky and explodes her head!

Unfortunately for Retchin' Gretchen her rage can only carry her so far. Altoid fractures Gretchen's left arm and she blacks out. Altoid fracture's Gretchen's skull and Don't hurt me finishes Retchin' Gretchen off with a decapitation.

Sorry All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long, but there's only so much you can do when you have Bad Munki on your team.

Score: Team Legs - 4, All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long - 2

Kills: Fed After Midnight - 1, Retchin' Gretchen - 1, Don't hurt me - 2, Altoid - 2

Combat Log

Lessons learned: Rage can't always save the day, but it helps! Don't bite peoples' eyelids everyone.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy poo poo. Good fight, Team Legs. I did not expect the picks to be able to penetrate the steel armor...

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
Bad Munki should change his name to Bad Bet after all the dwarf bucks I've thrown away on him

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

grobbendonk posted:

Bad Munki should change his name to Bad Bet after all the dwarf bucks I've thrown away on him

What, are you new here? Maybe you don't understand how things work around these parts.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I bet on All Slade Gauntlets and they lost. My masterplan of jinxing other people worked perfectly.

Zaltys
Jun 24, 2008

quote:

Stinky Skinky loses hold of the platinum whip.

Every single match. Should've gone unarmed.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zaltys posted:

Every single match. Should've gone unarmed.

It worked for you. You bit our best fighter and took him out of the match.

If you had kept the whip he would have cut you to pieces.

At least that was the plan. Actually, the plan was to win easily. The backup plan of "don't lose" also failed.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Not sure about this eye-maiming fetish he seems to be developing, though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Three archer team with a yeti who has no skills but the most expensive armour he can afford. You just have to hope he stays alive long enough for the bolts to do their work.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
So the other commissioners and I have been talking and we would like to run an extra playoffs for those that are getting knocked out of the tournament this round. A "Loser's Playoffs" if you will. This will be a little tougher to do than the normal tournament as it will all have to be done off of Jazzimus' site. What this means is that each manager of a knocked out fighter will have to send me their current fighter's skills/equipment via e-mail at mercuryminnow@gmail.com.

Point Rules: All fighters will get half of the points they would have gotten if they had made it to the winners playoffs. This means that a Dwarf will get 900 points instead of 1800. Playoff victory points will remain unchanged, the same Dwarf, if he or she were to advance to the semi-finals would receive 1200 points. This seems fair to me for a Loser's Playoffs, but let me know if you'd like things differently.

I will need an e-mail with your current fighter and the playoff version so I can compare them and make sure the numbers add up. All the skills and equipment costs will be the same as Jazzimus' site, you'll just have to calculate them manually.

Anyway this is all I have so far. If everybody thinks this is a good idea we will run with it. This will mean that once the playoffs officially start there will (hopefully) be one match from both the Winners and Losers playoffs a day until the next round.

Oh yeah and there wont be any betting in the Losers playoffs, sorry.

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 1, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What killed Gretchen is the mail proccing that 5% chance of failing. :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I was a bit worried at points in that fight, but we pulled it out! Glad our snake person was forced to drop their weapon. I find the whole biting eyelids amusing.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ZeeToo posted:

I can see some arguments against it. Having no offensive line to help and enemies averaging halfway towards them if they aren't the first out would be a nerf for archers. Who... don't need it. There's some lesser things, but that's the biggest one I can think of.

Archers are worthless even with heavy melee fighters to screen. Honestly, archers should have their own team tournament, where they fire off 30 bolts at each other that don't hit anything, and then they bash each other for three months, intermittently napping.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Archers are worthless even with heavy melee fighters to screen. Honestly, archers should have their own team tournament, where they fire off 30 bolts at each other that don't hit anything, and then they bash each other for three months, intermittently napping.

Ranged weapons scale in a really weird way. You miss everything until you reach the point where you hit everything.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Sadly so, it seems. We've kicked around a few thoughts (and had others suggested by people) on how to make archers viable. It's harder to make them shoot straight, but it's quite viable to make them arbitrarily deadly when they do hit:

quote:

The flying {copper arrow} strikes Kobold 4 in the head, tearing the muscle, fracturing the skull and tearing the brain through the small adamantine helm!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
Kobold 4 is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Kobold 4 slams into an obstacle!
Kobold 4 has been struck down.
The flying {copper arrow} strikes Kobold 6 in the upper body, bruising the muscle and shattering the right false ribs through the small adamantine breastplate!
Kobold 6 is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Kobold 6 slams into an obstacle!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
At the very least, archer skills will be significantly reduced in price in the next tournament. They were incredibly strong in the DF2010 team tournament, but it's obvious that's no longer the case in DF2014.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any thoughts on adding ammo (bolts and arrows) to the available weapons? I want to try a small guy with bolts, but they might be a little overpowered. From some tests I've done they seem to be fairly deadly in the hands of small fighters.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

my dad posted:

Ranged weapons scale in a really weird way. You miss everything until you reach the point where you hit everything.

My archer for this tournament was exactly the same as the previous one, except I ditched all the armour to buy more weapon skill points. He missed more often than The Pope did before, even though he was firing more often.

Also, by the time The Pope was getting good weapon skills, she couldn't afford the prohibitively expensive adamantium bow and her shots unfortunately failed to penetrate blue-clad foes in the semis.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coward posted:

My archer for this tournament was exactly the same as the previous one, except I ditched all the armour to buy more weapon skill points. He missed more often than The Pope did before, even though he was firing more often.

This is pretty much the situation I was in. No armor, all skills (and the best available crossbow) and I scored perhaps one meaningful shot in three matches.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Podima posted:

This is pretty much the situation I was in. No armor, all skills (and the best available crossbow) and I scored perhaps one meaningful shot in three matches.

Yeah, I feel I have to give you an apology for that; I figured it was a pretty solid build when I suggested what I did of it.

At least you were a big help in us realizing the magnitude of the problem? :shobon:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Aw, I was holding out for Gretchen at the end. Nice fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Silverminnow posted:

So the other commissioners and I have been talking and we would like to run an extra playoffs for those that are getting knocked out of the tournament this round. A "Loser's Playoffs" if you will. This will be a little tougher to do than the normal tournament as it will all have to be done off of Jazzimus' site. What this means is that each manager of a knocked out fighter will have to send me their current fighter's skills/equipment via e-mail at mercuryminnow@gmail.com.

Point Rules: All fighters will get half of the points they would have gotten if they had made it to the winners playoffs. This means that a Dwarf will get 900 points instead of 1800. Playoff victory points will remain unchanged, the same Dwarf, if he or she were to advance to the semi-finals would receive 1200 points. This seems fair to me for a Loser's Playoffs, but let me know if you'd like things differently.

I will need an e-mail with your current fighter and the playoff version so I can compare them and make sure the numbers add up. All the skills and equipment costs will be the same as Jazzimus' site, you'll just have to calculate them manually.

Anyway this is all I have so far. If everybody thinks this is a good idea we will run with it. This will mean that once the playoffs officially start there will (hopefully) be one match from both the Winners and Losers playoffs a day until the next round.

Oh yeah and there wont be any betting in the Losers playoffs, sorry.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for everyone involved, players and commissioners. I'd be happy to just have a losers bracket without any skill bumps (or even a losers free for all every manthing for themselves).

• Locked thread