Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hate that I want this.

My feelings on the subject of bathtub merman has evolved to genuine excitement. My only worry is that there's no actual animation in the previews, but I'm too stupid to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

oh my god

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This is beautiful

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

We now live in a post-Pharrell Williams AMV world... How do we even begin picking up the pieces?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Redcrimson posted:

We now live in a post-Pharrell Williams AMV world... How do we even begin picking up the pieces?

He's done it before, there was a miku cover he did complete with 3d anime pharrell dancing along.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

:syoon:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

At first I only knew Pharell Wulliams as that guy that sang that Daft Punk song that was really catchy.

If only it had stayed that way.

If only...

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

At first I only knew Pharell Wulliams as that guy that sang that Daft Punk song that was really catchy.

If only...

If only you realized the true greatness of what you watched.

Pharell just preaching the good word of anime and anime waifu's. Everyone will now know that in 2014, anime officially became COOL.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You know, Pharrell could almost be a Jojo character with his silly hat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

If only...

Do you want to know about the Soulja Boy song about anime.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
very few people can rock the 'dora

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did anyone mention that David Letterman will be having Hatsune Miku perform on his show on the 8th?

http://observer.com/2014/09/david-letterman-booked-a-hologram-cartoon-character-to-perform-live/

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Monkey Man posted:

Did anyone mention that David Letterman will be having Hatsune Miku perform on his show on the 8th?

http://observer.com/2014/09/david-letterman-booked-a-hologram-cartoon-character-to-perform-live/
This is going to be awkward as gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Monkey Man posted:

Further proof that we're living in a William Gibson novel and have been for some time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Monkey Man posted:

:psyboom:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What kind of terrible world do we live in where Hatsune Miku ends up on Letterman before HoloPac

e: oh no I just learned that HoloPac is dead, not again

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 1, 2014

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Zorak posted:

What kind of terrible world do we live in where Hatsune Miku ends up on Letterman before HoloPac

e: oh no I just learned that HoloPac is dead, not again

Maybe HoloHoloPac will rise from his grave once again to perform a duet with Hatsune Miku.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You'd think the hologram Ronald Reagan that almost got a gig at the Republican National Convention would have done this first.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Things just escalated into wacky awesomeness in just 40 posts.

WRYYYYYYYY~

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

You know, people joked about it a lot, but between being in commercials, touring with Lady Gaga, and now being on David Letterman, it almost seems like Miku could become mainstream in the west.

James Cameron was right. The world shall be taken over by machines; but instead of a military A.I., its gonna be by an animated j-pop star

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie has found its Major. An Aussie actress named Margot Robbie.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/anime_news/AJ201409300046

We've already seen the worst major thanks to Alive. So really, she can only improve on the role no matter how good or bad the rest of the movie might be.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I could see it work with the right direction and acting. I can only see the Major as someone a bit stiff in the face at all times and robotic. Hoping it doesn't get Hollywooded.

Second part of the final chapter of Buddy Complex: Enter good burying face in hands emoticon here. What was the last honest to god great and near universally loved mech scifi space series that wasn't a Macross? Been a bit too long.

The Monkey Man posted:

The comments :lol:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

they're right. miku is an international pop sensation and should be respected

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who ventured down there. "She's a loving voice synthesizing program, NOT a cartoon. At LEAST call her an anime character. You've offended a lot of people! :saddowns:" The world cares oh so much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait for Miku on letterman.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It will probably go over just as well as Chocolate Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r56pXz8nmXs

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who ventured down there. "She's a loving voice synthesizing program, NOT a cartoon. At LEAST call her an anime character. You've offended a lot of people! :saddowns:" The world cares oh so much.

At least one of the commentors admitted to joking

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Further proof that we're living in a William Gibson novel and have been for some time.

Actually I'd say we were living in a Neal Stephenson parody of a William Gibson novel. Or possibly, Transmetropolitan. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Actually I'd say we were living in a Neal Stephenson parody of a William Gibson novel. Or possibly, Transmetropolitan. :v:

Where's my loving bowel disruptor, DARPA? :argh:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Uh, they're right she's not a cartoon she's my wife.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Thundersword238 posted:

James Cameron was right. The world shall be taken over by machines; but instead of a military A.I., its gonna be by an animated j-pop star

I've watched Macross Plus enough times to know that there's really no practical difference.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Finally weebs like me will get the respect I deserve

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
In less silly news, "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" is getting an early screening at the IFC Center in New York City on Friday, subtitled to boot! It officially opens on the 17th.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
CR is streaming the new TRIGGER anime, which I will watch mostly out of pity.

e: I just had a thought: How many animes have been Hollywood-ed into live action movies or shows? Edge of Tomorrow doesn't really count because that was a proper novel from what I understand, but I don't think I've every heard of another anime turned live-action (Yes, I know Kite is a thing, lets pretend that doesn't exist).

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 1, 2014

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

ViggyNash posted:

e: I just had a thought: How many animes have been Hollywood-ed into live action movies or shows? Edge of Tomorrow doesn't really count because that was a proper novel from what I understand, but I don't think I've every heard of another anime turned live-action (Yes, I know Kite is a thing, lets pretend that doesn't exist).

Fist of the North Star and Dragonball

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ViggyNash posted:

Edge of Tommorrow seems to be quite Light Novel-ish, although I don't know the strict publishing classifications. In an interview, the author said he was quite surprised when watching the live action movie because he had always imagined the characters as anime characters in his head. Yes, he wrote a book about anime characters.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Clarste posted:

Edge of Tommorrow seems to be quite Light Novel-ish, although I don't know the strict publishing classifications. In an interview, the author said he was quite surprised when watching the live action movie because he had always imagined the characters as anime characters in his head. Yes, he wrote a book about anime characters.

If you've ever seen Japanese live-action sci-fi, maybe you won't be so surprised they imagine anime characters instead. But yeah, All You Need Is Kill is a light novel.

There've been some Hollywood movies based on manga, though, like Old Boy. If you count Chinese flicks, there's Initial D and Crying Freeman, etc.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I still stand by the Wachowski's Speed Racer movie being actually good and a faithful adaptation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

Never mind then, I guess it does count. Didn't Tom Cruise licence another thing from him? I can't remember the details, and Google isn't being helpful

Tarodia posted:

Fist of the North Star and Dragonball

There was a live action Fist of the North Star? e: Oh my god, look at those effects :allears:

Also I totally forgot that terrible Dragonball movie existed.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

ViggyNash posted:

There was a live action Fist of the North Star? e: Oh my god, look at those effects :allears:
:lol: at Malcom McDowell shouting "KENSHIROOOOOOO!" and cutting to the whitest man in the world.

This was in the related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUVukUuF9tw
This looks like a scene cut out of "Hot Shots Part Deux".

• Locked thread