Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

cuc posted:

Here the idea is she had already been thinking she may have anemia. "Perhaps I have an iron deficiency."

This shows how much I know about anemia. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Hypochondriac Patchouli leaves battles not because she can't finish it but because she started coughing and has to run to her books to see what her "symptoms" all add up to. :v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kanako installs the internet into Gensoukyo.

Patchouli ends up spending every day nagging at Eientei about her multiple malignant cancers, organ failure and weeping penis.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Isn't it already along the lines of "I got up too quickly and felt light-headed, which probably means I have anemia, and that's why I lost, not because I'm terrible at danmaku"

which while not being hypochondria, is creative lying to avoid admitting defeat.

I do like the idea of it being "I got up too quickly and felt light-headed, this probably means I have a dangerous blood clot preventing oxygen from reaching my brain; you're the real monster by forcing a gravely ill person to fight".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Given her performance in the Extra stage, she probably wasn't kidding about having a bad day

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

If anyone uses the Touhou Launcher I made then I thought you'd like to know that I've done a few updates since my last post. I still haven't figured out how to do outlined text on the buttons (it's possible with just text but not with buttons as far as I'm aware) but I've made some general improvements.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Touhou translations remind me a lot of Sandy Frank films, especially the really bad translation jobs like Gamera v Guiron

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
So I finished checking the translation for WaHH 20 and decided to read ahead a couple of chapters and I can't wait to get to them.

This goes for Chapter 22 in particular, because ZUN actually brings Tama-chan into Gensokyo and it is incredible.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Nyaa posted:

I am also fine with localization into various form of "Bitch, get out of the way!"

Replace every line in every game with this and if anything, they become even more Touhou.

I really don't know what to think about this picture, but it's getting posted here anyway:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Mazed posted:

Replace every line in every game with this and if anything, they become even more Touhou.

I really don't know what to think about this picture, but it's getting posted here anyway:

Really diggin white Jesus as Hijiri there.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That's plain embarrassing to look at.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Maybe, but those were the people who were organizing all the ZUN/Touhou stuff last year when ZUN was in Atlanta.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WarpedNaba posted:

That's plain embarrassing to look at.
They're clearly having a great time, good on'em :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if this is really worth talking about but a friend just linked me to this and it looks pretty interesting if nothing else. I'm curious to see where it goes because Renko and Maribel are cool and the circle seems to have some neat ideas.

The first episode is planned to be released in November and here's the trailer for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0A4acZHHwM. The shot of the Hakurei Shrine at the end is gorgeous.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I wonder if this one will take as long as that other Touhou fanime to come out. At least this one has something resembling an interesting plot?

EDIT: Wait so this is going to be taking place in the past (hence young Byakuren, living Yuyuko and Mokou), but also in the present? Why are Kanako/Suwako and Reisen around?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 3, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I wonder if this one will take as long as that other Touhou fanime to come out. At least this one has something resembling an interesting plot?

EDIT: Wait so this is going to be taking place in the past (hence young Byakuren, living Yuyuko and Mokou), but also in the present? Why are Kanako/Suwako and Reisen around?

Technically it looks like it'll also be taking place in the future because you know, the Sealing Club. Also it will probably take just as long as the other fanime because they're apparently hoping to do what that project did and release one episode, then hopefully get enough fan support and funds to make the rest. And I don't see this being more successful, I wish it the best though because it looks more interesting to me than doing a straight adaption of the games. Danmaku fights are tough to make look good in animation.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Marybell gets visions of what-the-hell-ever, probably.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Didn't ZUN shut down the last group that tried to do this?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Didn't ZUN shut down the last group that tried to do this?

There's two other fan-anime episodes, I think he only gets mad if you try and add voices to his characters. (I don't know how Sky Arena came out)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Elliotw2 posted:

There's two other fan-anime episodes, I think he only gets mad if you try and add voices to his characters. (I don't know how Sky Arena came out)

So, wait, Zun got mad at those two fanimes I forgot the name of?

(The one that detailed the story of PCB in 30 minutes and the other one where all of Reimu's stuff goes missing.)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No, I think those didn't have any problems.
The one that I remember being "shut down" so to speak was a crossover with some more commercial, non-doujin series I think?

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HGH posted:

No, I think those didn't have any problems.

ZUN did (apparently) get mad at the one with professional voice-actresses (the aforementioned one where everyone's stuff gets stolen) because it was initially marketting itself as "the Touhou anime" and he felt that people would misconstrue it as an officially sanctioned project and it would detract from the games being the main focus, so he made them change their name and call attention to the fact that it was a doujin work.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
ZUN only objected to the anime that was being made by a professional anime studio. As long as its obviously "doujin" then he doesn't care about anything like voices. Also, apparently voice actors are always starving and will work for cheap; this wouldn't be the first time a professional voice actor worked on a doujin project. Apparently that's actually the cheapest part of production?

Anyway, based on the trailer and the promotional material they've released, it seems to me that it's going be using Renko and Merryberry as a framing device to show stories about various backstories. Which I think is a smart choice because the backstories are where stuff happens, unlike the games or manga which are a bit too attached to the status quo to do anything interesting.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I thought he got mad because most of those fanime had breasts the size of cantaloupes all over the place. In addition to the branding issue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He attends Comiket, so I would think he's desensitized to that stuff by now.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Merryberry

this is the silliest translation i've seen of her name so far

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

ZUN only objected to the anime that was being made by a professional anime studio.
Oh, that was a professional studio? Yikes. In that case, how did the project ever get to the point where anyone on the outside knew about it at all? How is "Do we actually have permission to do that?" not the first thing everyone in charge asks?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, that was a professional studio? Yikes. In that case, how did the project ever get to the point where anyone on the outside knew about it at all? How is "Do we actually have permission to do that?" not the first thing everyone in charge asks?

ZUN had previously given standing permission as part of his doujin thing, and after that he clarified what things you needed explicit permission for.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Even so, I'm surprised that anyone would greenlight anything like that without ironclad signed permission. But I guess they must have.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The changelist for FMW3 v1.1.0 is mostly additional dialogue, but there have been some scattered gameplay changes. Suika and Yuyuko have 6 Move now, the route split chapters are more lenient on Cost so you can bring in more people, Mima picked up Supreme but got super nerfed (her ability no longer makes all her attacks post-movement) in exchange, and there's been various attack parameter readjustments.

37M's bonus has changed into something much more reasonable (kill 3 kappa in 4 turns), and Wriggle's spellcard actually works now. Any bugs in her field will automatically Support Defend for her, so just bomb the danmaku she's standing on then blow her up. Alice also gets her buff on that stage now instead of 38M, or maybe I just never noticed her movelist changing.

Hatate actually shows up for the fight this time in 40M.

End of Imperishable Night has both of Kaguya's barriers up and running now, so it's actually a little harder to blow through.

In 44, Flandre spawns Maze of Love from where she starts the map, not all the way up north. So no easy cheesing the bonus requirements anymore. 49's bonus seems stricter now; all units have to be to the right of the line, and I think you can't just pile everyone in the ship anymore. Dunno, I'll have to do some testing. And as I mentioned earlier, 55 severely ramps up Subterranean Sun; Utsuho has much more HP, and her power boosts by 100 every time you hit her. If you don't bomb the danmaku you'll very quickly find everyone only doing 10 HP worth of damage.

Oh and Merlin's MAP has a horn play for its SFX now. :3:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The fact that such old rumors like "ZUN said no Touhou anime ever" are still floating around kind of frustrates me that there were few translators worth their salt in the community until fairly recently. Or maybe it's just the more sensationalist stuff tends to stick around longer.

Admittedly I'm still confused as why some circles are uploading Touhou albums to international-oriented bandcamp-like websites when ZUN said something about not doing that but maybe I missed something.

a cartoon duck posted:

this is the silliest translation i've seen of her name so far
It's actually more accurate to the Japanese pronunciation than Maribel is, but a lot of people think the same way you do which is why most people just go with Merry/Mary.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

leather fedora posted:

It's actually more accurate to the Japanese pronunciation than Maribel is, but a lot of people think the same way you do which is why most people just go with Merry/Mary.

I always thought the joke was that her name was Maribel, but it translated in Japanese to some nonsense that didn't sound like a name. So Renko just calls her Merry instead.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

The fact that such old rumors like "ZUN said no Touhou anime ever" are still floating around kind of frustrates me that there were few translators worth their salt in the community until fairly recently. Or maybe it's just the more sensationalist stuff tends to stick around longer.
I didn't know there was such a rumour. I was just misremembering. It was a while ago and I had forgotten the specifics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I always thought the joke was that her name was Maribel, but it translated in Japanese to some nonsense that didn't sound like a name. So Renko just calls her Merry instead.

I agree, except you added the unnecessary step where her name is something other than nonsense. I'm pretty sure Maryberry or whatever is intended to be foreign-sounding nonsense, and people trying to twist it into a real name are missing the joke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I agree, except you added the unnecessary step where her name is something other than nonsense. I'm pretty sure Maryberry or whatever is intended to be foreign-sounding nonsense, and people trying to twist it into a real name are missing the joke.

But it's supposed to be english foreign-sounding nonsense and I speak english, so it makes more sense to me for her name to be something I vaguely understand. Although you're probably right that Zun never intended for it to actually resemble a name.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

leather fedora posted:

Admittedly I'm still confused as why some circles are uploading Touhou albums to international-oriented bandcamp-like websites when ZUN said something about not doing that but maybe I missed something.

I'd be surprised if most circles and doujin group actually give a gently caress what ZUN thinks. I always got the impression most of them just sell Touhou-themed stuff because it's easier to sell products with established characters than sell something completely new to people. From what I hear Japan's only fairly recently started getting into the whole online distribution thing, so it's only now that ZUN's whole doujin honour code thing gets ignored because previously groups didn't see that as an option.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Which, ZUN did stick DDC on a digital download site and he's letting the PS4 thing happen, so his doujin honor code might be changing.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yeah, but you still can't buy it from overseas unless you have a Japanese credit card or e-cash.

Most circles do try to stay within his code, mostly because they do respect his wishes and try to remain well-behaved. It could be that they aren't aware of it, since he hasn't said anything as of late and as you mentioned, his opinions are slowly but surely changing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

leather fedora posted:

Yeah, but you still can't buy it from overseas unless you have a Japanese credit card or e-cash.

Playism takes Paypal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Playism has an English store, so they take most American payments, I assume he was talking about the PSN releases that are coming up.