Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Hyrule Warriors looks real fun, and much more accessible to me than old Dynasty Warriors games. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I want to buy the console for that though, because nothing else looks like something I want to play. Maybe proper Zelda whenever that is released. And maybe if they ever make a good Metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wheany posted:

Hyrule Warriors looks real fun, and much more accessible to me than old Dynasty Warriors games. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I want to buy the console for that though, because nothing else looks like something I want to play. Maybe proper Zelda whenever that is released. And maybe if they ever make a good Metroid.

Did you play dynasty warriors on the ps1/2?

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

Literally

Those games have not changed since then

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

Literally

So you haven't actually played one in forever have you.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

Literally

They've changed alot since then

zelda one doesn't change majorly from the most recent release but still changes a huge good chunk to make it feel different

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wheany posted:

Try out Dynasty Warriors 8 for PC, Hyrule Warriors plays quite a bit like it and it has updated extensively from the original games.

I wouldn't buy a whole console just for HW though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So you haven't actually played one in forever have you.

Hit square a lot, do not persue Lu Bu

It's the same poo poo sperglord

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
They totally changed up the way you hit a ton of yellow turban rebellion people with a stick by hitting a button and moving to a gate and then hitting the dude at that gate, trust me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Every single spinoff has added new systems and gimmicks to the series which makes them all feel pretty different, even if the base gameplay has remained admittedly really simple.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

Do not buy a WiiU just for Hyrule Warriors. Please.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wheany posted:

You want W101.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's that sequel to Kirby Canvas Curse that's coming out on the Wii U next year and since Canvas Curse was great this should be great as well.

I got to play the new Kirby at Eurogamer and oh it's really really good, I want it.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I also got to play Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon and Captain Toad and they're all so good and I want to play them all.

Video games are good, guys.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

They totally changed up the way you hit a ton of yellow turban rebellion people with a stick by hitting a button and moving to a gate and then hitting the dude at that gate, trust me

"this game is real lamo guys, it hasnt changed anything ever" *goes back to playing dota*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

I know, right?!

Looper posted:

You want W101.

I've watched Chip Cheesum's LP and nah.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Apparently the consensus is Bayonetta 2 is not that good.

The Taint Reaper came real close to making a good post once but then pressed the dodge button and entered Bitch Time

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

I've watched Chip Cheesum's LP and nah.

You said Dynasty Warriors was less accessible then Hyrule Warriors. Wonderful 101 is definitely not for you. Neither is Bayonetta 2 I suppose.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Golden Goat posted:

You said Dynasty Warriors was less accessible then Hyrule Warriors. Wonderful 101 is definitely not for you. Neither is Bayonetta 2 I suppose.

If it's anything like Bayonetta 1, I would probably just get frustrated after 5 minutes and never play it again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dota actually changes a lot from patch to patch and also games play out very differently because there are other people playing with and against you. Dynasty Warriors has always been about mashing square endlessly and sometimes triangle

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

If it's anything like Bayonetta 1, I would probably just get frustrated after 5 minutes and never play it again.
Yeah if you get frustrated by that don't ever get a Platinum game.

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started. They only really changed the RPG elements though the combat's still the same mashy fun that everybody expects. The only drastic change to combat they had was when they allowed any character to equip any weapon.

Dota's patch changes are just tweaks and balances and unless you're a sperglord you wont notice a thing. Matches in Dota vary wildly depending on what heroes are chosen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

quote:

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started.

the combat's still the same

Dota's patch changes are just tweaks and balances

??????????

So DW has changed a ton, but also hasn't changed, but Dota changed, but also you don't notice the change,

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
can u believe mario is STILL jumpin on heads and poo poo??!?!?! what a scrub!!!!

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Wheany posted:

haha you suck

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Platinum games are wasted on Wii U owners

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah if you get frustrated by that don't ever get a Platinum game.

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started. They only really changed the RPG elements though the combat's still the same mashy fun that everybody expects. The only drastic change to combat they had was when they allowed any character to equip any weapon.

Dota's patch changes are just tweaks and balances and unless you're a sperglord you wont notice a thing. Matches in Dota vary wildly depending on what heroes are chosen.

The main difference is that DOTA players need to be brutally murdered.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

??????????

So DW has changed a ton, but also hasn't changed, but Dota changed, but also you don't notice the change,

Golden Goat posted:

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started. They only really changed the RPG elements though

I'm saying all the changes people are mentioning are to everything but the combat. You still mash square.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Seshoho Cian posted:

Video games are good, guys.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Guys, guys, guys. Can't you see that this thread is tearing us apart? Let's just all agree that Dota 2 and musou games are terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I'm saying all the changes people are mentioning are to everything but the combat. You still mash square.

Actually no you don't.

Dynasty Warriors 8 for example has more encouragement for switching weapons and juggling enemies with various combos than just mashing square. Orochi Warriors 3 has a three-party system that rewards switching and encourages uses of specific combos or swapping characters. (It's also really easy but y'know.)

Hyrule Warriors has each character with their own gimmick playstyle and, because it's trying to mimic Zelda, has more emphasis on waiting for an enemy to attack so you can attack them during the vulnerable periods in their animation than it does on a mashing square repeatedly.

That's also ignoring poo poo like Dynasty Warriors 6 (which, admittedly, sucked) which completely changed the systems around entirely.

I mean, yes, you press the attack buttons a lot in the game. That is 90% of the games on the market. There hasn't been a recent dynasty warriors where it hasn't actually encouraged you to (and been designed around) you learning the character's (or in DW8, weapon's) specific traits instead.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fremry posted:

Guys, guys, guys. Can't you see that this thread is tearing us apart? Let's just all agree that Dota 2 and musou games are terrible.

Agreed. Can't wait to see Bayonetta 2 crash in sales, despite being amazing.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

Agreed. Can't wait to see Bayonetta 2 crash in sales, despite being amazing.

12./03. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 6.970 / 45.797 (-82%)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Golden Goat posted:

Agreed. Can't wait to see Bayonetta 2 being amazing.

Yes, Bayonetta 2 looks like it will be a fun game. :)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love the Warriors series despite the combat being very very simple.

Please buy Bayonetta 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I love the Warriors series despite the combat being very very simple.

Please buy Bayonetta 2

Like I said, I'm not particularly seeing how it is any more simplistic than the bulk of action games on the market these days. Yeah, Platinum's stuff kicks the poo poo out of it on a depth and complexity scale but I can't think of many other "kill a lot of dude" games that are particularly less simple.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I can't wait to buy Bayonetta 2 for $5 on clearance a year from now

Dead serious though, that game is going to drop to $20 by February at most American retail stores. I will be genuinely surprised if it's not, and if it's not I want someone to bring up this post and call me a loving idiot come Feb. 1.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 1, 2014

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yes, Bayonetta 2 looks like it will be a fun game. :)

Shooting guys with the feet guns feels real good and I can't wait to do more of that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, I'm not particularly seeing how it is any more simplistic than the bulk of action games on the market these days. Yeah, Platinum's stuff kicks the poo poo out of it on a depth and complexity scale but I can't think of many other "kill a lot of dude" games that are particularly less simple.

It's more that despite the changes they've made you can go through a whole level in DW with only one combo you use repeatedly and still you wont feel like the other combos and attacks really mattered. It's the enemies I suppose that are amazingly passive on anything but the highest difficulty that's more of an issue.

Seshoho Cian posted:

Shooting guys with the feet guns feels real good and I can't wait to do more of that.

She has flamethrowers on her feet now too.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

She has flamethrowers on her feet now too.

What a time to be alive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

Literally

Even as someone who agrees thay they haven't changed much, Dynasty Warriors 1 on the PS1 is a one on one fighting game and not a brawler like its many sequels. You managed to give the lone example of the series drastically changing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

It's more that despite the changes they've made you can go through a whole level in DW with only one combo you use repeatedly and still you wont feel like the other combos and attacks really mattered. It's the enemies I suppose that are amazingly passive on anything but the highest difficulty that's more of an issue.

Hyrule Warriors is good about this though. Each character has a gimmick and you've got moves that have different advantages and disadvantages or confer different benefits or whatever. Even the weak point system means you'll (sometimes, some characters have a wonder-combo) use different moves for smashing weak points than you would for crowd clearing than you would for damaging officers without their weak points. Enemies are significantly more aggressive (they need to be since the weak point system requires them to attack) and enemies taking camps or even your base is far more likely.

I mean it isn't a hard game or anything and it's still a Dynasty Warriors game but it feels like it isn't really meeting most of those complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Seshoho Cian posted:

What a time to be alive.

• Locked thread