Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Thanks - still trying to figure out how to best use all my new toys!

Also, last night I put together some 3'x4' flats (11/32" plywood on a 1x3 frame) which will ultimately be a modular wargaming table. Based on the discussion I gave the impact driver a try and holy. poo poo. you guys were not kidding. It's like the wood turned into clay and I was just pressing the screws in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Bad Munki posted:

Interesting, hadn't seen that before. Still, for a lot of situations (almost all?), even if the bit can handle it, I'd want continuous torque. But it's interesting to know the option is out there. Trying to think of when you would want to impact drive a drill bit though, or if it's just a marketing ploy.

It's nice to have in a pinch, is why I bought the set that included the drill bits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hubis posted:

Thanks - still trying to figure out how to best use all my new toys!

Also, last night I put together some 3'x4' flats (11/32" plywood on a 1x3 frame) which will ultimately be a modular wargaming table. Based on the discussion I gave the impact driver a try and holy. poo poo. you guys were not kidding. It's like the wood turned into clay and I was just pressing the screws in.

I really found the value of my impact when I was trying to take some (probably decades-old) 3" screws out to take an old coat rack down the previous owners installed. The slothead screws were so sunk in and repeatedly painted over I could barely even get a bit in them, and my biggest hand screwdriver did poo poo-all. But one little blast of my fairly dinky 14.4v impact and they jumped about an inch out of the wall.

It was very satisfying.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Trying to think of when you would want to impact drive a drill bit though, or if it's just a marketing ploy.

In case you have actual control over your tool buying habits, and you only purchased the impact driver, of course. At least that's what I would imagine someone like that would do.

VVV It was a loosely translated German term.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 30, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One Legged Ninja posted:

In case you have actual control over your tool buying habits, and you only purchased the impact driver

I understand what each of these words mean on their own, but they make no sense the way you've assembled them.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I use my impact driver fairly often for running spade bits through wood. Its a little slower than my cordless drill but it is more compact and fits in places the drill doesn't.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

King of Gulps posted:

That looks like a normal compression fitting, unless I'm not seeing the right thing that needs a torch? Also your mirror is a real mystery: how did they mount it in the first place? Like I guess they could put up brackets and slide it in there sideways, but not with black sticky crud on the back, or they could put up one bracket and glue the mirror to the wall, but how do they screw in the second bracket? Your posts are like the "I accidentally the whole thing" of this dang forum! :wth:
I honestly have no idea how they mounted the mirror. But the metal brackets look like they gave them just enough wiggle room to squeeze the mirror in, then clamp it down. From what I'm seeing, Daniels Homes seems to have perfected the art of "build it fast, build it cheap", which isn't a good thing. For example, for both my bathroom and kitchen sink the water supply lines are half brass, and half PEX. They deliberately set out to use 50% less brass per house by opting for cheap, plastic piping wherever possible. It seems to be the trend with newer homes, these days.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 30, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

One Legged Ninja posted:

In case you have actual control over your tool buying habits

I am trying to find a 12 step program that can deal with whatever deep-seated psychological problem caused me to buy 11 Bosch 18v Litheon batteries over the last 4 years.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I am trying to find a 12 step program that can deal with whatever deep-seated psychological problem caused me to buy 11 Bosch 18v Litheon batteries over the last 4 years.

That's just what I imagined someone like you would do.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm going to try and snap some pictures of my father in law's house next time i'm over there. Honestly, it's hard to really describe the magnitude of his addiction without having visuals. Every corner of his house is stacked floor to ceiling with new tools, in the box, never opened. He has 4-5 sheds out back that are bursting at the seams with unopened band saws, drill presses, chops saws, est.. again, all in the box unopned. The man is a tool nerd and LOVES a deal. He goes to HD, Lowes, Sears and Osh everyday and just scopes the clearance bins.

Here's a good example, this Saturday I called him and asked him what he thought about the gas actuated electric nail guns. I told him I was going to be doing a lot of casing work and didn't want to drag a compressor around. He told me to hang tight and he'd look around for me... I didn't know what that meant at the time. Well, he came over Sunday and with these in hand, he said something to the effect of "Found these in one of the sheds, I have a couple sets but have never tried them... here you go"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does this man have any other daughters that are still available? Or gay sons, I'm not picky. I just need to get on board before he kicks the bucket.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Does this man have any other daughters that are still available? Or gay sons, I'm not picky. I just need to get on board before he kicks the bucket.

No but coincidentally his other daughter married a struggling mechanic... yea coincidentally.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Any help on getting this pulley off? Tried hammering it off, then I tried a press (car jack, scissor type), then I tried it after soaking in WD40. No dice. Any idea how it's attached, looks to be just pressed on, cannot find any trace of set screws except in the middle of the center hole in the axle there seems to be threads, but I have no idea how that's supposed to help me

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bearing puller and heat, and impact. Do you need to keep the pulley? If not cut it off with a grinder, if so go gentle with the heat and impact.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Sometimes WD40 can't cut through the rust. Try soaking in PB Blaster for a while, then impact/heat again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cakefool posted:

Bearing puller and heat, and impact. Do you need to keep the pulley? If not cut it off with a grinder, if so go gentle with the heat and impact.

The pulley is what I'm after, the motor it's stuck to is junk.

And we don't have PB blaster here afaik. Not sure what an equivalent product would be.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The AI classic turbo-penetrator: half and half acetone and ATF. I like to add a little peppermint oil too, I think it's the most effective element of PBlaster (it's the "P" in the name :v:).

Obvious disclaimer: DO NOT HUFF.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I've been really happy with Kroil, better than PB Blaster for what I've un-stuck. It seems to need about an hour of penetrating time. I've had a couple of suspension bolts that weren't going anywhere dry, then I remember the Kroil, put it on and go eat a sandwich. Come back and the stuff comes off like nothing ever happened. I haven't tried acetone/ATF, mostly because I don't have any ATF around.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table

$117 on Amazon ($174 at Home Depot)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H12DQ6?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=a2607d3c808041378600c9924eb7f4b8

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Any help on getting this pulley off? Tried hammering it off, then I tried a press (car jack, scissor type), then I tried it after soaking in WD40. No dice. Any idea how it's attached, looks to be just pressed on, cannot find any trace of set screws except in the middle of the center hole in the axle there seems to be threads, but I have no idea how that's supposed to help me

I can't tell from your description or the pitcure, is the center hole threaded? When I had to replace the impeller assembly on my chipper it was pressed on to a tapered shaft. A bolt threaded all the way in and then backed out a few turns, followed by a few solid hits to bolt head with a 4 lb sledge hammer got it loose.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

I have this table. I hate it.

At $117 it's technically a good value but it's cheap all around and the surface was warped and uneven in multiple ways. I'd seriously consider 1) building your own table which can start as simple as a piece of plywood with a hole in it which would at least be flat.

2) spending more on this one, which gets better reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-001-Contractor-Benchtop/dp/B00002242E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412206351&sr=8-3&keywords=router+table

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i have this router table and It Is Good.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

asdf32 posted:

I have this table. I hate it.

At $117 it's technically a good value but it's cheap all around and the surface was warped and uneven in multiple ways. I'd seriously consider 1) building your own table which can start as simple as a piece of plywood with a hole in it which would at least be flat.

2) spending more on this one, which gets better reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-001-Contractor-Benchtop/dp/B00002242E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412206351&sr=8-3&keywords=router+table

I'm not buying one, just saw the deal and thought i'd post it in case people were in the market.

Thanks for the review.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I've seen a lot of other reviews about the Bosch one saying the table was uneven elsehwere and some youtube videos.

Can anyone tell me if there are brands to avoid when looking for older radial arm saws? I want one that accepts dados (maybe they all can ? ) and because they are radical.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

More router table chat, I am actually considering buying the Kreg precision fence and then building a table around it because all the larger tables I find are expensive as gently caress while the cheaper ones are too small for my taste.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been reading about people insetting jigsaws into tables to make cheapo bandsaw type dealies. Are they as terrible and dangerous as they sound, or do they actually have a valid use-case?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sylink posted:

Can anyone tell me if there are brands to avoid when looking for older radial arm saws? I want one that accepts dados (maybe they all can ? ) and because they are radical.

The only ones worth looking at are Powermatic and Delta.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cakefool posted:

I've been reading about people insetting jigsaws into tables to make cheapo bandsaw type dealies. Are they as terrible and dangerous as they sound, or do they actually have a valid use-case?

No more dangerous than any other exposed, moving, blade. Don't touch the blade when it's running, don't put anything in the cut line you want in one piece, don't fall on it. I'll leave validity to individuals but it is to a jigsaw what a table saw is to a circular saw.

ADHDan
Sep 22, 2006

A genuinely kind goon who goes out of his way to help others. These traits can't be diminished by the fact that he actually likes Minneapolis.

Cakefool posted:

I would love to hear more about this because I'm contemplating moving my router into a table saw wing extension, and I wouldn't mind doing something with my Bosch router table (same one everyone hates) other than sell it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ADHDan posted:

I would love to hear more about this because I'm contemplating moving my router into a table saw wing extension, and I wouldn't mind doing something with my Bosch router table (same one everyone hates) other than sell it.

I'll go dig a pic up but basically make a plate that drops into the router table like the adapter plates that let you turn a router into a router table, but mount your jigsaw to the underside rather than a router.

Router router router router.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ADHDan posted:

Stumpy Nubs made one, has a video on it and plenty of others have built them. Might be handy if you don't have a scroll saw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Post 556 on this page

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174553&page=28

Though the whole thread is required reading.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

My dad's got an old Craftsman that's probably 30+ years old, it's seen a shitload of use over the years and keeps on going.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

stubblyhead posted:

My dad's got an old Craftsman that's probably 30+ years old, it's seen a shitload of use over the years and keeps on going.

I'm sure there are other good ones out there but most of the consumer level RAS were crap.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sylink posted:

More router table chat, I am actually considering buying the Kreg precision fence and then building a table around it because all the larger tables I find are expensive as gently caress while the cheaper ones are too small for my taste.

I stepped up to the Kreg table from that bosch but in my haste (I added it to the wedding registry) I didn't notice that the $180 table didn't come with the fence and now I'm faced with the fence costing another $200. Not thrilled with that. I may do some work with it before adding the fence. I also have zero solution for a frame and currently have it resting on top of the old bosch frame unattached.

All the Kreg stuff seems highly reviewed, but the fence seems a bit pricy. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the bench dog.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
If you have a small Makita impact, or any other square impact, the Home Depot had the 1/2 chuck for ~5 bucks today.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

I stepped up to the Kreg table from that bosch but in my haste (I added it to the wedding registry) I didn't notice that the $180 table didn't come with the fence and now I'm faced with the fence costing another $200. Not thrilled with that. I may do some work with it before adding the fence.

Make your own fence before you bother spending $200 for one. You can get by with a board with a half a hole in the middle, or you can make an elaborate, easily adjustable one for not much more money.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

asdf32 posted:

I stepped up to the Kreg table from that bosch but in my haste (I added it to the wedding registry) I didn't notice that the $180 table didn't come with the fence and now I'm faced with the fence costing another $200. Not thrilled with that. I may do some work with it before adding the fence. I also have zero solution for a frame and currently have it resting on top of the old bosch frame unattached.

All the Kreg stuff seems highly reviewed, but the fence seems a bit pricy. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the bench dog.

I may just buy the bench dog. I know people say you should build your own table but I just want to get to building poo poo that isn't more tools. I could easily spend years building the tools so I could build something useful.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wormil posted:

I disagree to some extent. I own both a 9" Dewalt Moto Mitre Box from 1948 and a similar 1990 Delta 12" that Norm used. Dewalt, Delta, Red Star, and even some Craftsman Electronic saws are good RAS's. The key here is, they are only as good as the blade you put on them. I'm using Freud's 80T 5 deg negative hook blade on both and it was a night/day difference from what they came with. Check our Mr Sawdusts book on Amazon. You can find a classic Dewalt MMB for pennies off CL. If you were in Oregon, I would sell you mine, I don't need two with the Delta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

the spyder posted:

You can find a classic Dewalt MMB for pennies off CL.

You should snap them up and bring them to the east coast, they sell for a pretty penny here. There are 2 on my local CL, one is 70's-80's 10" model, looks like hell, and they want $220. The other is a 16" and they want $750. Red Star is a brand I've heard of but never seen except on the internet.

There is a 60's Craftsman RAS locally for dirt cheap, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had a place for it in my shop. But most of the Craftsman saws on CL are junk. A couple years ago people couldn't give them away and many went to the landfill but there has been a small resurgence in popularity and they sell for a few bucks now.