Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

AngryBooch posted:

Games your Following will post updates about patches, DLC, early access updates, etc. to your Activity feed, the place where your friends shared screenshots and reviews show up.

Thanks. I didn't think to look there. I also think it's a bad place, between about a thousand posts a day of who owns what now.

On the plus side, the news in question that I couldn't read fast enough was about the release date of Dreamfall Chapters 1 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

Just because nobody has bought a game doesn't make it bad. Had there been a large number of players the first day with a tremendous drop, that would be more telling of the state of the game.
Nah, peak 20 is the number that says the game's poo poo. All the worst titles out there are somewhere close to this number.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

EVGA goes on my "Great support staff/policies" list along with ASUS now. I assume most of you built your own gaming computers, so go with EVGA for parts in the future if you don't already are care about really generous warranty/return windows.

I'll second this. I seem to blow a video card every three years or so, and EVGA's warranty (which has been lifetime for all the bits I've bought from them) has kept me from blowing a significant portion of my tiny budget when it happens.

Have to look into cross-shipping the next time it happens. Using a spare, antiquated card while waiting for the replacement to arrive is a drag.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

No. Do you really want the steam client and every Valve game from now on to be programmed in Java? And also he wears a stupid hat. And we're not having TotalBiscuit, either.

Acceptable substitutes include: The GoG.com team (but only if they make a stupid promo video every month).

GoG do regional pricing now as well. Even for the games they develop - Witcher 3 is $80AU. They do however give you the difference between the regional price and the US price back as store credit so it's better than nothing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So apparently I ended up with a few russian friends from TF2 or something and thanks to NuSteam I get stuff like this now:

Thanks Gaben

Pierson posted:

So the Falling Skies game just appeared on my front page and wow is that XCOM I see? Anyone else know anything about this, it came outta nowhere for me.

Dominic White posted:

Released silently without any review copies going out to press, too! And it looks like a low-budget XCom clone, complete with wobbly animations and super blurry textures.

Steamcharts says it hit a launch-day peak of 20 players, then sharply dropped off. Make of that what you will.

Palpek posted:

Nah, peak 20 is the number that says the game's poo poo. All the worst titles out there are somewhere close to this number.
Looks quality to me...

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 1, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pierson posted:

So the Falling Skies game just appeared on my front page and wow is that XCOM I see? Anyone else know anything about this, it came outta nowhere for me.

it's xcom

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You can play Noah Wyle and a hobo? Sold!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box A posted:

So apparently I ended up with a few russian friends from TF2 or something and thanks to NuSteam I get stuff like this now:

that's just how it works when you have friends who speak other languages on Steam, recommendations have always gone that way

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
RE gender, I don't think this Steam Upcoming F2P Borderlands thing even has male playable characters

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319750/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So what is it about Shadow of Mordor that makes it GOTY material to lots of Goons? From the pre-release it just looked like a half assed Assassins Creed meets Batman clone, with a gimmicky respawning enemy system and I had no interest in it.

What is it that makes it so great because I don't want to spend the money on it only to find out it is just a half assed ACxBatman clone.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thanks Gaben
It reads much worse if you speak the language.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So what is it about Shadow of Mordor that makes it GOTY material to lots of Goons? From the pre-release it just looked like a half assed Assassins Creed meets Batman clone, with a gimmicky respawning enemy system and I had no interest in it.

What is it that makes it so great because I don't want to spend the money on it only to find out it is just a half assed ACxBatman clone.

From what I understand, it's a Middle-Earth orc political management game. Except orc politics involves a lot of violence, which you do by Arkham-Asyluming in combat and Assassins-Creeding when not in combat.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Nemesis system creates emergent narratives of the sort that many open-world games aspire to but don't achieve. I don't know if you would find this to be of value, but I found it extremely satisfying to finally kill Ghrul the Slaughterer (who was basically a writhing mass of scars at this point) after we'd gone back and forth a half dozen times (me killing him, him killing me) throughout the first act. He was particularly irritating because he started out as some dumbshit no-name Orc who landed a lucky spear in my chest while I was fighting some other Captain.

Also, there's nothing half-assed about it. It's clearly using the Arkham engine and the combat feels great. Animations are not Assassin's Creed-smooth but in my experience, no one has animators quite like Ubisoft (Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed have some amazing animations).

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Where is the best place to buy Shadows of Mordor from? I couldn't get nuuvem to work.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Even without the Nemesis system it'd still be a rock solid beat'em up Batman in Middle Earth game. That extra layer adds a ton of personality to the game though. Just all the little details of walking around hearing Orcs comment on things you've done and are doing is just amazing.

^If Nuuvem is out GMG with the 25% voucher would be my next guess. That or someone like Captain Inviticus who'll give you 15% off the Steam price at the very least.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's definitely not half-assed. Sure, it plays a fair bit like AssCreed and Batman, but it's done really well, for starters. As someone who doesn't have any particular love or hate for any of the three, it's easily as good as any of the assassins creed or batman games, as far as the gameplay is concerned. Looks great, feels great and has a whole bunch of really fun ways to gently caress with the enemy. The stealth stuff is as good as assassin's creed and if you get into a bigger fight the open combat is every bit as good as arkham city.

What brings it up and above those is the nemesis system. Essentially, the game has a whole bunch of orc officers hanging around. If a standard guy kills you, he can be promoted into a spot and then get more powerful as he continues to kill you, getting more powers. If you beat them but don't necessarily kill them properly, he'll come back and it'll show. They come back covered in burns and scars and keep going after you and getting progressively more powerful and more hosed up, with dialogue to match.

All the static bosses in asscreed and batman are fun to fight for sure, but when they're done, they're done. In this, they're going to get scarred and then recruit their own army and come back hating you. As time passes, they'll also end up fighting each other even if you're avoiding them. A lot of games try to make it seem like your decisions and actions matter, but it usually ends up being fairly binary switches on morality meters. Shadow of Mordor is really good at building stories through your encounters. If you fight one guy enough, over the course of hours of play he'll go from being a no-name mook who got off a lucky shot to a war chief with his own army and captains, with a rapidfire crossbow shooting exploding fire bolts, and you'll have learned his name and hate him. Then you finally get into his stronghold, release and tame some monsters to help, turn half his army against him, burn his face off and finally explode that shitlord's head. The rest of them will remember it. Half an hour will go by and all of a sudden you'll hear some dude you're about to throw off a ledge complain to his buddy about someone you helped into power. The gameplay creates it's own stories and then makes it great fun to pursue them through to the end.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 1, 2014

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Just from the hour and a half I've played, SoM feels a lot more responsive and fluid compared to an Assassin's Creed game, where I always felt like I was wrestling with clunky controls. This frequently lead to a lot of awkward fuckups during assassinations, combat, and platforming. SoM just lets me focus on where and how I want to take out enemies and it's a lot more fun. I really enjoyed the smooth stalk-and-kill outpost clearing in Far Cry 3 and SoM feels a lot like that but in 3rd person.

The whole army thing may turn out to be gimmicky window dressing but a lot of people are praising it for having depth and adding character to the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lethemonster posted:

Where is the best place to buy Shadows of Mordor from? I couldn't get nuuvem to work.

I'm guessing at this point it's probably hiddenmovement's thread

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Trip report on the new Sherlock Holmes game: Yeah, this is pretty drat great. Disclaimer, I'm a bit of a Holmes fanboy, and these guys really capture the spirit of the characters really well. Holmes is the spergy, drug addled manchild he always has been, Watson is the silently suffering partner. All is as it should be, and the game looks gorgeous at times and the new features they've added make you feel like you're actually doing proper detective work. It's sort of akin to the timeline/crime scene reconstructions from Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper that the latest games really don't have enough of. All the puzzles I've come across so far make sense and are theme appropriate. Highly recommended game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So the list of just now released games that are apparently good: The Vanishing of Ethan Carther, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Shadow of Mordor, Starport Gemini 2.

Anything else good out there (and I'm asking about the recent period and also not about upcoming releases)?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

So I saw Warmachine Tactics. I've been semi-interested in Warmachine but don't have space/time for a physical army. How's the computer version?

Alpha. Don't even go there for a while. They're working on it still, and there have been some rumblings about the pricing going forward (ie you buy your units with realmoney).

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
if you need another reason to play shadow of morder: your son's name sounds like diarrhea

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a loving awesome ACxBatman clone that has you stabbing orcs in the head, and there's a fairly complex system of manipulating the Orc clan structure and the individual orcs themselves. It's polished and extremely well done without being entirely derivative of the games that came before it.

If you don't believe Goon hyperbole, the reviews are pretty much gushing as well.

Edit: Due to an early fuckup in wading into a group of orcs, Azrog the Puny got elevated to the level of captain and headed to his stronghold to recruit more Uruk. I followed him, and managed to locate him, but I wasn't sure what you needed to do with the strongholds. Turns out that dropping caragor bait into the stronghold leads to Caragor's attacking _everything_. Unfortunately, Azrog has a fear of Caragors, so the last time I saw him, he was heading for the black gates at a rate of speed.

You can create set pieces. Use you arrow to turn uruks to alert under fly nests, then drop the nest. Use Caragors to distract the majority of the orcs while you separate a worm to interrogate. Attract single orcs to areas that are dangerous (there's at least one bad tempered cave troll)...

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 1, 2014

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hav posted:

It's a loving awesome ACxBatman clone that has you stabbing orcs in the head, and there's a fairly complex system of manipulating the Orc clan structure and the individual orcs themselves. It's polished and extremely well done without being entirely derivative of the games that came before it.

If you don't believe Goon hyperbole, the reviews are pretty much gushing as well.

I hate fantasy and I especially hate the stupid made up names in LoTR - should I be skipping this or does it transcend all the blah blah fantasy bollocks?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I hate fantasy and I especially hate the stupid made up names in LoTR - should I be skipping this or does it transcend all the blah blah fantasy bollocks?

Well if you hate fantasy I got bad news for you: it's fantasy. Not just any fantasy, but the granddaddy of modern fantasy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I have an Orc named Uguu the Singer who shows up every once and awhile and just sings to me about how he wants to kill me.

I helped him become Warchief, and now every time we fight the nearby Orcs start chanting UGUU, UGUU over and over again.

It's GOTY is what I'm saying here.

( It's Assassins Creed platforming done right, mixed with Arkham combat done right, mixed with Tomb Raider/AssCreed 2 collectibles, mixed with Orc Politics. The big draw is the emergent gameplay stuff, but the fantasy trappings are pretty heavy. If you don't like LOTR it's fine because whatever it shits all over LOTR, but if you don't like fantasy, I guess does the above gameplay system mix sound appealing enough to you that you'd enjoy it? )

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Palpek posted:

So the list of just now released games that are apparently good: The Vanishing of Ethan Carther, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Shadow of Mordor, Starport Gemini 2.

Anything else good out there (and I'm asking about the recent period and also not about upcoming releases)?

If you play Payday 2, they just released a new paid DLC heist that's a crossover with Hotline Miami. You get to shoot the poo poo out of a seedy motel and use a whole bunch of HM weapons and masks. The teaser site should give you a pretty good idea of how faithful they are with it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

No, it's not for you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Trip report on the new Sherlock Holmes game: Yeah, this is pretty drat great. Disclaimer, I'm a bit of a Holmes fanboy, and these guys really capture the spirit of the characters really well. Holmes is the spergy, drug addled manchild he always has been, Watson is the silently suffering partner. All is as it should be, and the game looks gorgeous at times and the new features they've added make you feel like you're actually doing proper detective work. It's sort of akin to the timeline/crime scene reconstructions from Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper that the latest games really don't have enough of. All the puzzles I've come across so far make sense and are theme appropriate. Highly recommended game.

Frogwares have always been good at characterizing Sherlock a huge rear end in a top hat. I love that the opening scene is Watson trying to dodge Sherlock's gunfire because Sherlock decided he wanted to put on a blindfold and shoot all his belongings.

its better than the retarded bbc sherlock because you're supposed to know that doing these things makes him an rear end in a top hat, and not a perfect little snowflake

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So, you're basically incapable of playing any games with made up names or even slightly fantastical elements?
Geez man, how does it feel to be dead inside?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

So, you're basically incapable of playing any games with made up names or even slightly fantastical elements?
Geez man, how does it feel to be dead inside?

there's a difference between lotr and good fantasy. Now watch as all the goons who read the Extended Star Wars Universe fiction come in to defend LotR.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah yes, the Tolkien is a hack argument.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

I have an Orc named Uguu the Singer who shows up every once and awhile and just sings to me about how he wants to kill me.

I helped him become Warchief, and now every time we fight the nearby Orcs start chanting UGUU, UGUU over and over again.

It's GOTY is what I'm saying here.

gently caress. I may have to get this when it goes on sale, now.

corn in the bible posted:

its better than the retarded bbc sherlock because you're supposed to know that doing these things makes him an rear end in a top hat, and not a perfect little snowflake

I never got around to watching the new series. I guess I'll just cuddle up with my memories of Jeremy Brett as a coked-up rear end in a top hat, then.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenNight posted:

Ah yes, the Tolkien is a hack argument.

I think the LoTR books were good. :devil:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

As posted in the game's thread, get Mordor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSt5zJRVNIg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I never got around to watching the new series. I guess I'll just cuddle up with my memories of Jeremy Brett as a coked-up rear end in a top hat, then.

there's a scene where watson thinks they're going to die and starts crying, and it turns out sherlock knew they were fine the whole time and starts laughing at him

that's supposed to be proof that sherlock is a good friend

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If you cannot tolerate
  • Things that appear to be Batman/Assassin's Creed clones
  • Fantasy names
  • Lots of enemies
  • Lots of fighting

Then do not get this game. It uses combat and traversing engines that almost blatantly rip off Batman and AC, respectively, but they mesh together world in this kind of environment. There's a lot of lore and pseudo-Medieval talk and accents, that's unavoidable in a Middle Earth game. As I've mentioned before, there are unbelievable amounts of enemies sprinkled about, and I'm talking groups of 8-12 enemies can walk around and run into you trying to interrogate a single intel-holding uruk. As such, there's going to be a lot of fighting. It's going to feel very repetitive, especially if you're trying to immerse yourself and just hoof it from one mission point to the next, rather than using fast travel or riding mounts or any other pragmatic methods to survive.

If none of the above throws you off in the least GET THIS GAME. The nemesis gimmick is a rather visible one, but it adds depth and character to the events like TF2's class personality does to its shooting: It doesn't heavily change the fact that you'll be doing a lot of killing, killing, and more killing, but through politics, happenstance, and that one fucker who got that lucky shot off of you :argh:, hopefully put some drive and motivation behind which uruk bastard you want to drive your dagger into.

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 1, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

there's a scene where watson thinks they're going to die and starts crying, and it turns out sherlock knew they were fine the whole time and starts laughing at him

that's supposed to be proof that sherlock is a good friend

I took that scene that Sherlock is an rear end in a top hat still and Watson puts up with him because he's an idiot :v:.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The MSJ posted:

You can play Noah Wyle and a hobo? Sold!

That's supposed to be Collin Cunningham. Supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Palpek posted:

Wasteland 2 is really fun so far, albeit a bit buggy still.

• Locked thread