Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

BBJoey posted:

The trick to the Tempest is to always go fast. Faster. You need to be always at maximal fast. Faster than that. More fast, always.

I can't find a time where the Tempest isn't a slow piece of rear end.

I think I'll just cap myself off at <BR 5 and stop worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

I will fight you IRL

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Just buy the :911: Spit IX already.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, it's been said, but my kingdom for an Arcade Battles setup with RB's flight models. Dogfighting with more realistic physics is so exhilarating but it's so hard to get into when a single mistake can kill me and make me wait through 5-10 minutes of getting a match+taking the long flight back into actual actions just to get another shot at it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, it's been said, but my kingdom for an Arcade Battles setup with RB's flight models. Dogfighting with more realistic physics is so exhilarating but it's so hard to get into when a single mistake can kill me and make me wait through 5-10 minutes of getting a match+taking the long flight back into actual actions just to get another shot at it.

You could go ask some scientists/doctors to hook you up with this. That might help you with RB and any other time in life where you just can't wait.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Anyone else hanging at the "waiting for results" screen for an obnoxiously long time? I don't know why War Thunder is suddenly having such a hard time processing the scoreboard but its happening literally every game now and I would love to know how to make it stop.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Thief posted:

Just buy the :911: Spit IX already.

I'd suggest buying the :911: Prem Mustang instead. (only available with a package) It's the better plane in my opinion.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Anyone else hanging at the "waiting for results" screen for an obnoxiously long time? I don't know why War Thunder is suddenly having such a hard time processing the scoreboard but its happening literally every game now and I would love to know how to make it stop.
This has been happening for weeks.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'd suggest buying the :911: Prem Mustang instead. (only available with a package) It's the better plane in my opinion.
Both are good planes that suit different playstyles.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Helter Skelter posted:

This has been happening for weeks.

Yeah I just started playing again, anything else I should know? I'm already versed in the gasoline soaked planes thing - did they do any other ridiculous poo poo to the damage models / stuff in general, or is it just general Gaijin-level fuckery?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, I know this is probably completely biased, but I think that all the Spitfires with cannons can make the best deflection shots, hands down. With a convergance of 300 metres 90% of my deflections, even bad ones, just wrecked my opponent.

http://gfycat.com/GreatMelodicFlycatcher

e: Very lovely gyfcat title.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'll fight you as well

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I know this is probably completely biased, but I think that all the Spitfires with cannons can make the best deflection shots, hands down. With a convergance of 300 metres 90% of my deflections, even bad ones, just wrecked my opponent.

Yeah, Hispanos are pretty much the best 20mm cannons you can have. They have a fairly high rate of fire, and I think the highest muzzle velocity of them all (except perhaps the 15mm MG 151, but that has its own problems). Add to that that you generally get two of them at least, and you can kill stuff very reliably during all kinds of improbably snapshots.

Nothing is more painful than going from a playing a Spitfire with hispanos to the japanese planes with their slow-motion shells.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

I think I'll just cap myself off at <BR 5 and stop worrying.

The Tempest (V and II) is one of those planes where upgrades matter a bit. Improving the max speed on a 109 doesn't matter much because you'll only need that speed in an emergency (and you shouldn't get in that sort of situation in the first place :smugbert:). But you should be going fast all the time in the Tempest, so you'll quickly see the difference when you bump that max speed up over 700kph. I'm not saying that it's useless until it's :s:ed, but you shouldn't feel too bad if you have a hard time flying it "correctly" when it's still stock.

It might also take some time for its play style to "click" for you. Like I didn't like the La-9 at first, but now I love it (except for the loving random cannons).

e: seriously I felt the same as you at first, now I love my Tempest II Murder Machine.

Michaellaneous posted:

Those Hispanos are also about as close to the prop as possible without them actually firing through it, so convergence is slightly less of an issue than with planes with more widely spaced cannons.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 1, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

All we need now is our :godwinning: Tempest and proper Sea Fury :allears:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I stumbled upon this video: How to not fly a P47 against a 109 :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGqyc3xESY

Just don't fly like that when there are other enemies around.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/179757-dev-server-opening-with-update-143-1102014/

Dev open 16:00 to 24:00 GMT with a fat new update. Some planes were moved around http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/179752-dev-server-143-preliminary-patch-notes-1102014/

(20 minutes from now)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 1, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Am I reading that right? They're removing some aircraft from the 'united' stacks they're in now and making the grind longer in some areas, but merging aircraft into new stacks in other trees?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Am I reading that right? They're removing some aircraft from the 'united' stacks they're in now and making the grind longer in some areas, but merging aircraft into new stacks in other trees?

They also added a 4000lb bomb to the game without increasing base hp in arcade so you know, that's cool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WirelessPillow posted:

They also added a 4000lb bomb to the game without increasing base hp in arcade so you know, that's cool.

gently caress Gaijin.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They're also adding that mad rear end Lancaster Mk.III bomb load without boosting any bombable zone HP in any mode.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

WirelessPillow posted:

4000lb bomb has been i n the game since the start.

Biggest fix is they THINK they have fixed HE doing sod all damage to aircraft. Hope to god they have.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you're still playing Arcade at this point ( at high tiers ) you're dumber than Gaijin. It's basically unplayable once the big bombers come out, and the base-bombing shitfest has even leaked down into the low tiers at this point so gently caress it

It's always possible they'll increase base HP or tinker around with it without actually saying anything about it until the last second... But knowing Gaijin, they're probably going to lower base HP.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If you're still playing Arcade at this point ( at high tiers ) you're dumber than Gaijin. It's basically unplayable once the big bombers come out, and the base-bombing shitfest has even leaked down into the low tiers at this point so gently caress it

It's always possible they'll increase base HP or tinker around with it without actually saying anything about it until the last second... But knowing Gaijin, they're probably going to lower base HP.

I have pretty much stopped playing the game because of this. They already got my money, though, so what do they care?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

eh Arcade on capture map is a lot of fun on higher tiers. the bombing maps need to go after tier 3 though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Arcade is secretly the best mode. It's what got me hooked. It was great to just gently caress around and bomb things, or gently caress around and shoot things, and those matches that would go on and on and last like half an hour were the loving best. I spent most of my time playing arcade.

Then they hosed it up and now I'm playing RBs only, more or less. Guess that makes me a loving idiot for buying extra crew slots. :( I'm glad that I'm so deep into every tree I don't ever have to spend money on the game ever again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Reserve-tier maps sometimes end in well under five.

Dev is up properly now, trying to take the 229 off with full fuel is a laugh.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Arcade is secretly the best mode. It's what got me hooked. It was great to just gently caress around and bomb things, or gently caress around and shoot things, and those matches that would go on and on and last like half an hour were the loving best. I spent most of my time playing arcade.

Then they hosed it up and now I'm playing RBs only, more or less. Guess that makes me a loving idiot for buying extra crew slots. :( I'm glad that I'm so deep into every tree I don't ever have to spend money on the game ever again.

Some of my favorite matches have unironically been ~BR6.0 Arcade So much poo poo zipping around tiny maps... it can be amazingly chaotic.

e: and when do you get to do dumb poo poo like ground attack D13s and stuff in RB??

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 1, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Shanakin posted:

Some of my favorite matches have unironically been ~BR6.0 Arcade So much poo poo zipping around tiny maps... it can be amazingly chaotic.

e: and when do you get to do dumb poo poo like ground attack D13s and stuff in RB??

All the time. RBs are usually clown town with 1 or 2 decent players on both teams. I know because I'm usually one of the poo poo players.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

When I have the patience to climb and not be the first one to get a kill, I'm not one of the poo poo players :unsmith:

Latest dev server 229 - I'd rather squad in a Ju87 D5 if I had to dogfight.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

The 229 is less a jet fighter more a Po-2 that someones strapped jet engines to. It can go under 100kph and not stall, just cant do any kind of normal jet things like go fast.

Canberra is similar in that it has an absurdly low stall speed, but unlike the 229 it actually has good engines and can climb and accelerate pretty well, assuming it gets the air starts it should be a great bomber.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

When I have the patience to climb and not be the first one to get a kill, I'm not one of the poo poo players :unsmith:

According to everyone on the War Thunder forums, the 229 will be fine because it can turn :buddy:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yesterday, I thought to myself I'd do some Realistic Bearcat flyin', but there were only American pilots queued up. Where did all the other countries go? :smithcloud:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Impatient players that don't want to climb will complain that rounds are too short because the otherwise most useless planes in the game can actually contribute to their team.

Shanakin posted:

Arcade jets is one of the best things in the entire game. It's also incredibly cheap to play where a single kill in RB with just about any plane will cover the cost of repairing the 6 jets you lost through ramming other players.

The best part of arcade jets is that players will often only slot what they think is their best jet and fill the rest of their crews up with lovely prop planes that you can grief as you please.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Hmmm. What happened to "coming in September" Extended Battles? Did they ever say anything more about them since early August? I kind of assumed it'd be rolled into the ever-delayed 1.43, but not seeing any word on it has me concerned it's going to end up in 1.45 (which'll probably drop in late December, at the earliest) or later. I was hopeful that it was going to be a betterment of the meta-related problems of RB (see: not having to waste 20~30+ minutes chasing down one runaway fuckface or lose as seemed to happen in more than half the infrequent, couple dozen RB matches I played during the summer).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

bUm posted:

Hmmm. What happened to "coming in September" Extended Battles?

I like to think they decided to take care of sparks&smoke issues for good, rather than dropping something and continuing it.

e: the MC202 is a T1 of AB BR 1.7 now. The guns haven't changed but oh the clubbing, the wonderful clubbing.
e: Tested it, the clubbing that won't happen because the guns actually seem worse, weaker.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 1, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I like to think they decided to take care of sparks&smoke issues for good, rather than dropping something and continuing it.

e: the MC202 is a T1 of AB BR 1.7 now. The guns haven't changed but oh the clubbing, the wonderful clubbing.
e: Tested it, the clubbing that won't happen because the guns actually seem worse, weaker.

I thought the Folgore was already 1.7? :confused:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

I thought the Folgore was already 1.7? :confused:

I think I'm the :confused: one. Maybe I just never bothered trying to club with it on live due to the weak guns.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Folgore is 2.3.

EDIT: Whoops, it's 1.7 Arcade and 2.3 Realistic. I got more brain problems than you, Pom.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

^^^^Guess I've got brain problems!

Gaijin needs to add the later Italian planes that mix the Breda-SAFATs with MG151s. :getin:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bloody Pom posted:

^^^^Guess I've got brain problems!

Gaijin needs to add the later Italian planes that mix the Breda-SAFATs with MG151s. :getin:

The 5 series Italians will be the prettiest planes in the game, and drat good ones, too. I can't wait. :allears:

• Locked thread