Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
In Elona my male characters keep getting pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potsticker posted:

In 2014, allowing a gender choice is still pretty progressive for roguelikes.

What? Nethack had "pick your character's gender" back in 1987.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

What? Nethack had "pick your character's gender" back in 1987.

And Crawl does it the other way: it doesn't ask you because it doesn't matter. The only beings with specified genders are (some) unique enemies. Yours, the gods', and generic enemies are intentionally unstated (they renamed the mermaid enemy recently).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tollymain posted:

Crawl is funny because your character's apparent gender is not something you control, nor is it something that is ever even distinguishable unless you really want to find out.

Also it's good because gender has literally no mechanical effect whatsoever.

it's possible to find out your gender in crawl?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guys, what the hell.
No matter who's right and who's wrong, can we keep this out of here please.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack Trades posted:

Guys, what the hell.
No matter who's right and who's wrong, can we keep this out of here please.

Yes heaven forbid we discuss how gender in gaming (a hugely relevant recent issue) affects our little nerd corner.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

..btt posted:

I don't get it. Men and women, who are in fact different in real life, are represented differently in silly game ways in silly games. Does this genuinely upset anybody? Do you also rage that succubi and incubi in nethack are all heterosexual? Or that only females can lay eggs?

No one should be made to feel penalized for wanting to play a character who looks like them. And 99% of gender difference stats in videogames are ~biotruths~ - what on earth kind of justification can someone give for telling me that, because I want to play a male character, my accuracy stat is never going to be as high as it would be for a female character?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Yes heaven forbid we discuss how gender in gaming (a hugely relevant recent issue) affects our little nerd corner.

Sure thing, like you said it's a relevant issue right now, but is this thread really the right place for that?
A roguelike thread of all places.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack Trades posted:

Sure thing, like you said it's a relevant issue right now, but is this thread really the right place for that?

since it came up with regard to a roguelike, yes.

Anyway, that bastion of progressive ideas and social justice that is dungeons and dragons has been getting this right for like four decades, it's dumb as poo poo that it's still a thing in other similar games.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
This is worse than the what is a roguelike derails we usually get.

If you pick a male character the entire game should be monochrome. Then if you pick a female character you should have a lessened chance of heart attack. Realism in games is fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

it's possible to find out your gender in crawl?

The only thing I can think of is whether you use the left or right hand tile in the tiles version.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I think at this point we have hit every keynote in this highly important highly serious discussion.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jack Trades posted:

Gender issues in other game genres generally takes the form of sexualization of characters, differing capabilities for romantic interests, or simply the inability to play a female character when given the option of customizing your character's appearance.

Roguelikes are uniquely unsuited for any of those topics, so the relevant discussion is going to be stats, and I've seen many more examples of stat differentiation in roguelikes than in any other genre.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

MrBims posted:

No one should be made to feel penalized for wanting to play a character who looks like them.

It's true, it infuriates me to no end that every roguelike cripples my character's intelligence and spellcasting abilities when I pick a troll or an ogre.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is Keeper RL? Saw the web page and thought Dwarf Fortress+Dungeon Keeper, but I'm pretty sure that if I download it the dream will shatter, crash and burn.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I dunno, when I play an RPG I don't play to insert my RL persona into the game, I play it to role play a character within the context of the game. I'm not a barbarian either, I don't complain that they are stronger than a wizard. I find only playing your own gender odd. Do you also only play as a fat nerd character?

At end of the day, it's not even inaccurate the most part - men are physically stronger than women. Not every man is stronger than every woman, but generally speaking. I don't know why anyone would feel that's some kind of ~biotruth~ or insulting to women. As I alluded to in my previous post, female characters are rarely worse than male characters. They're just different. They are in real life too. It adds flavour. What's the problem?

I would understand if truly damaging stereotypes were being propagated (I'm sure there are games that do this, and I wouldn't argue with such a complaint), but I haven't seen one mentioned so far.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Because sometimes people want to play women who are physically strong, or men who are dexterous. By imposing weird backwards rear end gender stat bonuses you're not only pushing this dumbdumb idea that heroic adventurers are unable to overcome a (miniscule) preference for physical strength in one gender, you're also limiting the number of potential choices for one gender for no reason. Comparing them to classes or even races isn't really accurate, unless you want to try and say that the biological differences between men and women are just as relevant as an Ogre and a Elf or a Wizard and a Fighter.

No one is saying women and men aren't genetically inclined to do certain things better than the other, it's just that genetic inclination isn't that strong and shouldn't really matter when you're talking about mythological beings.

As for the damaging stereotypes, women being physical weaklings who can't fight is kind of a Bad Thing(tm) and someone already mentioned another part where Charisma = Attractiveness in Women which, again, kinda baddumb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Well, since we are apparently going there here are my 2 cents.

RPG games that do gender-based stat differences usually go for something like Men get +1 STR while Women get +1 AGI, which is realistic if you ask me, since that's a way to show the underlying physical baseline differences between genders.
Male Wizards are still going to have less STR than Female Warriors or whatever, which is realistic, I guess, and since those are supposed to be role-playing games I don't see any issues with playing a female character if I want to go for an AGI min-maxing build or something.
That does mean that I can't do the exact build I want and play the exact character I want but seriously who the gently caress cares.

No matter if a game does gender-based stat differences or not, I think it's fair game. It's just another role-play thing tied to game mechanics.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

..btt posted:

I don't get it. Men and women, who are in fact different in real life, are represented differently in silly game ways in silly games. Does this genuinely upset anybody? Do you also rage that succubi and incubi in nethack are all heterosexual? Or that only females can lay eggs?

I like this, actually. Nethack is too much kitchen sink (kick it!) design for me, but those are certainly ways to differentiate between genders in a way that's relatively benign, yet still has an impact. Though I'm sure that makes me cis/hetscum for not wanting gay incubi and lesbian succubi. Or making them both bisexual.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Because sometimes people want to play women who are physically strong, or men who are dexterous.

I haven't seen a single RPG game where those differences weren't small enough to ignore. That -1 potential AGI on a Male Rogue isn't gonna make any real difference to the gameplay. You don't have to min/max everything.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As for the damaging stereotypes, women being physical weaklings who can't fight is kind of a Bad Thing(tm) and someone already mentioned another part where Charisma = Attractiveness in Women which, again, kinda baddumb.

I do agree that things like that are loving stupid though.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I enjoy playing roguelike video games such as binding of isaac, rouge legacy, and many others as well as other roguelike games on the computer. I believe that mario 3 for the nes entertain ment system is also a rouge like.

?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Regarding the adom thing, do you realise shop keepers are racist as well as sexist? Does this bother you? Not a loaded question, I'm genuinely interested.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

..btt posted:

Regarding the adom thing, do you realise shop keepers are racist as well as sexist? Does this bother you? Not a loaded question, I'm genuinely interested.

Roguelike shopkeepers are traditionally enormous assholes, so this seems entirely in character.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

..btt posted:

I did not realize they were sexist! Do they charge more or something, because I never noticed any outright hostility or anything?
Like I said previously, I like when there are differences that aren't just +1 STR / +1 CHA. If the NPCs react differently based on your selection of race, class or gender then I feel like that makes your choice have more meaning and leads to a more interesting experience.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't seen a single RPG game where those differences weren't small enough to ignore. That -1 potential AGI on a Male Rogue isn't gonna make any real difference to the gameplay. You don't have to min/max everything.

Then what's the point?

Yeah you could argue that it's saying they're more agile there's a balance neither is the weaker but it's still making assumptions of an individual along a gender line when it does nothing other than to say "WE'RE DIFFERENT" with no meaning or purpose. And makes assumptive 'BIOTRUTH' statements.

Also as to why we're discussing it, learning about gender in crawl was cool, I legitimately didn't notice. This is a good discussion.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm confused, you guys keep talking about Crawl but it doesn't sound anything like the roguelike game Crawl? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/ :confused:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Potsticker posted:

I did not realize they were sexist! Do they charge more or something, because I never noticed any outright hostility or anything?
Like I said previously, I like when there are differences that aren't just +1 STR / +1 CHA. If the NPCs react differently based on your selection of race, class or gender then I feel like that makes your choice have more meaning and leads to a more interesting experience.

You can have a game that makes a distinction on gender without casting superiority of either in one area or another. Those same interactions can still occur.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm confused, you guys keep talking about Crawl but it doesn't sound anything like the roguelike game Crawl? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/ :confused:

Linley's Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is too long to type every time, hth.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Then what's the point?

Yeah you could argue that it's saying they're more agile there's a balance neither is the weaker but it's still making assumptions of an individual along a gender line when it does nothing other than to say "WE'RE DIFFERENT" with no meaning or purpose. And makes assumptive 'BIOTRUTH' statements.

Dunno. Some developers just want to make their role-playing games more "realistic" I suppose.
I'm just saying that even if that gender stat thing is in a game, it's usually something you can just ignore.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

I am Otis posted:

I enjoy playing roguelike video games such as binding of isaac, rouge legacy, and many others as well as other roguelike games on the computer. I believe that mario 3 for the nes entertain ment system is also a rouge like.

?

I enjoy playing rogues in WoW. In fact, it's my favourite rogueliking game. You could even say it's very roguelike.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

my dad posted:

This might be a silly question, but have you considered making Dungeonmans available on GOG?

It'll happen, I'm waiting until I've actually finished the game.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

What does it add to a game to have gender-differentiated stats? Would it detract from a game that already had those if a patch removed them?

Edit: To be clear about my point, if doing a thing one way is hurtful to some, while the other way is hurtful to none, why would you be a staunch defender of the former?

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 1, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I am Otis posted:

I believe that mario 3 for the nes entertain ment system is also a rouge like.

Well, Mario does wear red...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Potsticker posted:

As someone mentioned, the shopkeepers lower prices for make characters based on their Charisma, but for female characters they care about Appearance instead.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SilverMike posted:

What does it add to a game to have gender-differentiated stats? Would it detract from a game that already had those if a patch removed them?

Further mechanical customization of your character, in the same way that Dwarves might have higher CON or someone from a tribe on the coast of Finland is better at fishing and swimming than someone from inland Finland (who are stronger and stupider).

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jack Trades posted:

Dunno. Some developers just want to make their role-playing games more "realistic" I suppose.
I'm just saying that even if that gender stat thing is in a game, it's usually something you can just ignore.

If it is something you can ignore, why does it need to be in the game in the first place? You gotta question the motives of what led to it being there.

esquilax posted:

Further mechanical customization of your character, in the same way that Dwarves might have higher CON or someone from a tribe on the coast of Finland is better at fishing and swimming than someone from inland Finland (who are stronger and stupider).

The fantasy example is far different from the bolded one. When you are talking about real life people it can get offensive very quickly - 'As a Black Man, you receive +5 to Basketball Playing and -5 to Literacy' would not be any less of a stereotype, but the Finland fishing one only sounds less egregious because it doesn't hit as close to home.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

But realism is the argument I find weak. It's presumptive, and inaccurate. Is this really the value of the difference? Not withstanding these characters are heroes who naturally break these norms of average people.
And since the value is so small, why bother including it? It's this lack of value that makes its inclusion say something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Potsticker posted:

You could do this by selecting Traits a la Fallout. For example, a Nerd could have +1 INT and -1 STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

esquilax posted:

Could you not just allow everyone to tweak their stats by +1/-1 off the racial baseline and be happy with that?