Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That Jerk Steve posted:

I miss Teleprompter's divination stand.
:china:

It even had it's own theme song.

Yeah, Kettlepip did that one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD1b3PFe5Bw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
RIP Age of Wushu and Bacon Li's suitors, their love forever doomed to be unrequited

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Thinking back on it all man age of wushu was real loving weird.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Tarezax posted:

RIP Age of Wushu and Bacon Li's suitors, their love forever doomed to be unrequited

Hahaha holy poo poo I didn't even have perish built at this point :eyepop:

randombattle posted:

Thinking back on it all man age of wushu was real loving weird.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
One day another martial arts MMO will come along that isn't totally insufferable, and the band will get back together. Wushu was an unique experience though. I miss the good parts of it.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
RIP Hapimerchant. Where hath you gone?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Age of Wushu, you were the most innovative MMO I've played in years. You could have been fantastic forever if your entire business model wasn't designed to empower the .1% and treat everyone else like proles. Also if your game wasnt so ping dependent. And if you hadn't made more servers when you launched. And if it wasn't so easy to screw up the economy. And if schools weren't useless.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

God, the insane poo poo we pulled in this game, I still think fondly to that time koop's lemon party attracted the attention of a GM and they spawned a monkey in the fields to slaughter people too. :)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

God, the insane poo poo we pulled in this game, I still think fondly to that time koop's lemon party attracted the attention of a GM and they spawned a monkey in the fields to slaughter people too. :)

We moved onto apple trees for that one (even worse visibility and lasted for like 90 minutes before despawning).

I do wonder what caught his attention although the trees did generate a good bit of lag so maybe that was it :v:

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This was always my favorite stall message:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Jinling, the city of lights

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Iowa posted:

This was always my favorite stall message:

gently caress me I miss 3rd inner patch chinagame before they started loving it up over last summer :(

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Credit actually goes to Whoopy for the whole lemon party thing. He was the one that ascertained planting rather than harvesting rated towards your farmer rank, which resulted in he and I covering the entire Yanjing fields in an hour with crops... and then the servers died from the load. We knew then what we had to do of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LUIRRJocI

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haquer posted:

gently caress me I miss 3rd inner patch chinagame before they started loving it up over last summer :(

Goonball camouflage of screaming freedom eagles.

ArdanSortek
Jun 19, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Goonball camouflage of screaming freedom eagles.

Yanjing was brilliant back then. The giant pictures in guild wars were awesome too.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
RIP you terrible, terrible, (fun) terrible game. :smith:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Look Right posted:

RIP Hapimerchant. Where hath you gone?

I'm here. My TS broke my PC and i've moved on to archeage.

EDIT: Because TS broke and i had to reinstall, I lost the TS info. We still using it or is it ded as well?

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 2, 2014

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

HapiMerchant posted:

I'm here. My TS broke my PC and i've moved on to archeage.

EDIT: Because TS broke and i had to reinstall, I lost the TS info. We still using it or is it ded as well?

It was dead before I even sold my account last month.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
This game was actually loving excellent before they started adding paid sets (ie the proper game came out). A game I would have kept playing just for its broken weirdness and actual loving good combat system/pvp/guild stuff. The old school mmo/ultima veneer it had to it was loving fantastic.

Like everything about it. Script stealing, guild wars, group DDR, suplexing men off cliffs with my beggar, getting drunk, de-horsing people, human trafficking, weird janky goonunism...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Operant posted:

This game was actually loving excellent before they started adding paid sets (ie the proper game came out). A game I would have kept playing just for its broken weirdness and actual loving good combat system/pvp/guild stuff. The old school mmo/ultima veneer it had to it was loving fantastic.

Like everything about it. Script stealing, guild wars, group DDR, suplexing men off cliffs with my beggar, getting drunk, de-horsing people, human trafficking, weird janky goonunism...

Man, kidnapping people we knew and selling them into prostitution or absconding with hookers and putting them in college as legitimate game mechanics was so amazing. I loved how virtually every gameplay element had a pvp aspect and people were SHOCKED when they were attacked. "Aaargh I keep on taking the exact same route with my carts and getting attacked by the same cart bandit ambush, THEY ARE CLEARLY TARGETING ME!"

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Age of Wushu, you were the most innovative MMO I've played in years. You could have been fantastic forever if your entire business model wasn't designed to empower the .1% and treat everyone else like proles. Also if your game wasnt so ping dependent. And if you hadn't made more servers when you launched. And if it wasn't so easy to screw up the economy. And if schools weren't useless.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us.

RIP chinagame.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Haquer posted:

Yup. As broken and dumb as it was (In so many ways), those first 6 months or so were so special and unique. At various points I had my entire group of gaming friends roped into playing it. LongDong and I still bring it up and share some of our dumb stories once in a while.

It often wasn't incentivized very well, but I really appreciate how smart the game was about trying to get you into fights all the time. Assassins on PVE bosses, script stealing, school wars, guild wars... Lots of good ideas for a PVP game, even if the execution kinda sucked.

I'll always miss being able to start full-on gang wars by getting really drunk and puking on some chick in front of her e-boyfriend in the Chinese trailer park that was Jiming. :allears:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The game in the first few months was amazing, before they revealed the depths of pay2win that they would sink to. When everyone was using basic school sets and wearing random iron and copper gear, the game almost felt balanced. Now you're supposed to sink several thousand dollars on ancient sets, class 6 jade gear, and jianghu inners? gently caress that.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Yeah, third inner was the golden time. With second inner you had to contend with Mingyu scholars darting everyone to death. (Which was hilarious, as a scholar)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Shalhavet posted:

Yeah, third inner was the golden time. With second inner you had to contend with Mingyu scholars darting everyone to death. (Which was hilarious, as a scholar)

Minyu Scholars and Whaling Tangmen :argh:

It was hilarious how impotent Tangmen got after Jianghu inners were released and then they were basically written off on the 4th inner patch

Scholars still sucked to fight, though

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

It was great going from garbage worst school to one of the best ones with each of the wv internals. Makes me wonder what it could have been had they gone a separate path and not fallen to p2w extremes. You're right that every single thing about it encouraged player interactions and fights. Hell even trying to punish someone for pvp slaughter still mostly relied on pvp with the bounties.

Can't wait to do it all again in moonlight blade! :suicide:

randombattle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 5, 2014

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
More MMOs need to prompt "Do you accept the open world pvp challenge?" and only allow you to log in if you hit yes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My favorite moment from chinagame was still when a bunch of people from various guilds we had been fighting had me penned up in a graveyard in one of the smaller cities, and all of them kept saying goons didn't know how to fight. So I pointed out that I was alone and they weren't and challenged the highest level among them to a duel and killed him.

Fight club was the best thing we ever did for our fellow goons. Plus when we were homeless it was gangs of new york in chengdu every day.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I was doing team practise at a point during late beta and thinking this game is going to huge. As janky and inaccessible as some of the game was, it had some of the best PvP, interesting and novel mechanics and was just so much fun. The game was rammed with people who were enthusiastic and often brilliantly nuts, battle lines were being drawn between various factions, Goon Tang was really starting to gain some momentum and we were having a blast. Everything was set to give Wushu a great launchpad into Live. All the developers needed to do was understand what it was people loved about the game and continue to leverage that. It's a real shame that they didn't and didn't actually seem to care.

As folks seem to have been reminiscing, I put back the original soundtrack back on something.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Kettlepip posted:

I was doing team practise at a point during late beta and thinking this game is going to huge. As janky and inaccessible as some of the game was, it had some of the best PvP, interesting and novel mechanics and was just so much fun. The game was rammed with people who were enthusiastic and often brilliantly nuts, battle lines were being drawn between various factions, Goon Tang was really starting to gain some momentum and we were having a blast. Everything was set to give Wushu a great launchpad into Live. All the developers needed to do was understand what it was people loved about the game and continue to leverage that. It's a real shame that they didn't and didn't actually seem to care.

As folks seem to have been reminiscing, I put back the original soundtrack back on something.

Well around the time 3rd inners dropped and we started research into the next patches we noticed that there were a ton of cash shop sets and then we learned about ancient skill sets and realized that the game being put out outside of China was nothing more than a cash grab :(

I shudder to think of how much money they made off of pay2wins.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im pretty sure ancient sets were around the time we were in the beta with only second internals. They were just super rare and only like one dude had ancient tai chi fist.

Its pretty horrible how a few sets would absolutely ruin most forms of PVP. 9 palaces, sword suck and ancient tai chi ruined large scaled pvp. Dog beating, tai chi+9 palaces would ruin most 1v1 pvp. There were other strong sets, but nothing could match those.

Seriously, hope someone finds a way to steal the games server code and make an emulated version that only has schools and factions. None of the yianghu inners or bought sets.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://www.ageofwushu.com/static/top_guilds/

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Literally every guild in that list was dead when I quit :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You should see the parks and recreation group in archeage. It is pretty much old wushu goons.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

You should see the parks and recreation group in archeage. It is pretty much old wushu goons.

Has NoTrabbu reformed yet?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am in a family with chroma, venice, leffe, and a few others. So yah, like 7 of them.

They are the conservative christian guild and will probably be merging into forest crows in proud notrabbu tradition.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm tired of MMOs, stop making me want to try archage. I don't want to farm trees or whatever!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Rexxed posted:

I'm tired of MMOs, stop making me want to try archage. I don't want to farm trees or whatever!

Literally any time I see goons talk about it, it's always something about farms

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Haquer posted:

Literally any time I see goons talk about it, it's always something about farms

You literally have to farm to be able to farm in archeage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm glad Wushu has stuck to its guns of "baffling"

http://www.ageofwushu.com/static/jssj/index4.html

EARN SCORE