Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if you can get the apple student discount at bestbuy in canada?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I'm planning to get a Mac mini for development (Xcode for iOS and Eclipse for android). But I also want to be able to run about 4 VMs (dev servers) at once with VMWare Fusion. Will a fully spec'd out mini with fusion drive be able to handle this at reasonable speed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bsaber posted:

I'm planning to get a Mac mini for development (Xcode for iOS and Eclipse for android). But I also want to be able to run about 4 VMs (dev servers) at once with VMWare Fusion. Will a fully spec'd out mini with fusion drive be able to handle this at reasonable speed?

The quad i7 mini with 16GB and an SSD will handle that no problem.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
What about the fusion drive? Will that be enough or should I go with the SSD?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bsaber posted:

What about the fusion drive? Will that be enough or should I go with the SSD?

If you're at all price sensitive, you'll get the best bang for your buck ordering it with the terrible stock HDD and replacing it with a 256 or 512GB SSD after you get it.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Well I could get the SSD but I wanted the space that the fusion drive offered. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Twerk from Home posted:

Browsers can suck up as much memory as you let them now. If you have bad browsing habits with a billion tabs and are trying to do something like photo editing during it, you will run out of memory with 4GB.

When you get low on memory, OSX will free memory applications allocate as a cache, ie, cached content of previously open tabs. If that's not enough, OSX will then swap out the least used memory. You may run out of RAM, but it's unlikely you'll run out of memory. If you're actually editing photos and switching between all of those tabs then you will notice a slowdown. If a number of those tabs are rarely used they'll get swapped out to the SSD and you'll never notice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of the Mac mini, what's the likelihood that Apple's been waiting for Broadwell in order to cram it into a fanless (or at least much less temperature-constrained) enclosure half the size of the current one?

The chassis' been long overdue for an update and, given that it's been two years since the last refresh, it's not unreasonable to expect them to pull a Mac Pro with it.

It's gotta be either that or they've been hitting a wall with how they're gonna make one that can run that 5k display we've been hearing about. :allears:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone have a KVM switch that they'd recommend? I need to switch between a desktop and laptop. Amazon's selection is somewhat bewildering, as well as having a surprising amount of VGA ones.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have a KVM switch that they'd recommend? I need to switch between a desktop and laptop. Amazon's selection is somewhat bewildering, as well as having a surprising amount of VGA ones.

http://synergy-project.org/

Best KVM ever, and it's free software... unless you plan on closing your laptop and only using one monitor, in which case this won't really help.

edit: Holy crap the guy has started charging for it! But it's just $5 though. Easily worth the price if you need that kind of solution.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2014

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

http://synergy-project.org/

Best KVM ever, and it's free software... unless you plan on closing your laptop and only using one monitor, in which case this won't really help.

edit: Holy crap the guy has started charging for it! But it's just $5 though. Easily worth the price if you need that kind of solution.

I actually do leave the laptop closed :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MrBond posted:

as well as having a surprising amount of VGA ones.

Just FYI, most, if not all servers still ship with VGA since there's literally no reason to upgrade the technology; most KVM switches are for that market so that's why you're seeing that large abundance.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MrBond posted:

I have this one at work: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperSpeed-8-Tablet-Compatible-ACP71USZ/dp/B006FXVT6K/

I usually use it with a Lenovo ThinkPad, but have used it a couple times with my MBA and haven't had any trouble with it. It's been a pretty reliable dock overall.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

rufius posted:

I have this one at work: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperSpeed-8-Tablet-Compatible-ACP71USZ/dp/B006FXVT6K/

I usually use it with a Lenovo ThinkPad, but have used it a couple times with my MBA and haven't had any trouble with it. It's been a pretty reliable dock overall.

Oh, that's more a straight up docking station right? I'm looking for a DVI KVM switch to swap back and forth between 2 physical machines. Thanks though!

Martytoof posted:

Just FYI, most, if not all servers still ship with VGA since there's literally no reason to upgrade the technology; most KVM switches are for that market so that's why you're seeing that large abundance.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I'm still a bit surprised there's a big market for 2-port VGA KVM switches as I'm imagining a rack full of mounted servers, so something more like a 16-port KVM switch, but I clearly don't operate in that market :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrBond posted:

I've used this IOGear one for 3.5 years with a Mac mini and a Thinkpad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TQYSN8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Generally works great. I like that the only thing I need on my desk is the little switcher unit. And there's no lag after switching until the keyboard and mouse reconnect, which I've seen with other units.

But my one complaint is that I couldn't get it to work with Logitech's unifying receiver. I think the KVM hooks into the USB keyboard to do the hotkey switching, and the unifying receiver acts like a hub and messes it all up. Mouse wouldn't work at all in OS X. So that limits your mouse choices, although I have managed so far. I would read the reviews of any model carefully for this.

Also I have never gotten it to do the "hold down keys while you power on" thing. Have to plug keyboard in directly when that is needed.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 2, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I use Synergy + my monitor's input switches, and a USB 3.0 switch with a hub because I hope to either have a proper dual monitor setup or to figure out how to not need my other computer at all, but that might be a pipe dream given the full disk encryption used making it tough to virtualize.

MrBond posted:

I'm still a bit surprised there's a big market for 2-port VGA KVM switches as I'm imagining a rack full of mounted servers, so something more like a 16-port KVM switch, but I clearly don't operate in that market :)
Most people in DCs these days use IP KVMs or BMCs like with IPMI or iLO hooked up to a single console that you login to either remotely or on-site. There's really few needs to actually use VGA-based KVMs anymore and there's a bit of a glut of them as a result on the market.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 2, 2014

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Also if you feel like your 13" rmbp is not buttery smooth on 10.9/10.10 during desktop animations or what not, you can try non-hidpi 1920x1200 with some 3rd party software. You basically end up with a high enough res where things are still sharp while having fluid everything.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can people even see with that high of a resolution?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
You have to set minimal font size to like 18~22 in safari, but besides that the amount of columns in excel is great though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MrBond posted:

Oh, that's more a straight up docking station right? I'm looking for a DVI KVM switch to swap back and forth between 2 physical machines. Thanks though!

It was early. I am a dumbass. Apologies.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I dropped my bottle of medicine all over my rMBP 13". On the positive side, it was a bottle of pills. On the negative, they were small pills. One of them got into the air holes above the keyboard where the function keys are at. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. (I figured out one was still in there once I started using my laptop around campus).

How dangerous is this for my laptop? Since I don't want to open up my laptop myself, how much would this cost as a service?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I mean there's always the chance that it forms a pill habit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Avocados posted:

So I dropped my bottle of medicine all over my rMBP 13". On the positive side, it was a bottle of pills. On the negative, they were small pills. One of them got into the air holes above the keyboard where the function keys are at. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. (I figured out one was still in there once I started using my laptop around campus).

How dangerous is this for my laptop? Since I don't want to open up my laptop myself, how much would this cost as a service?

If they're gel caps I would worry, but otherwise it's fine.

If you want it out take it to an Apple Store and they'll definitely remove it for free.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can't you just unfold a paperclip and fish it out?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

IUG posted:

Can't you just unfold a paperclip and fish it out?

The logic board is close to many of those vent holes, and it isn't completely "off" until you disconnect both the AC adapter and internal battery. Not a great idea to go fishing around with a metal object until you do that.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm in the middle of writing a paper and some keys just stopped working randomly. No spills, drops, bumps anything. Just typing and then the diagonal row of 2, w, s, x stops working. I'm on a deadline so unless this a known issue with a quick fix I can't get into an Apple Store today.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Time posted:

I'm in the middle of writing a paper and some keys just stopped working randomly. No spills, drops, bumps anything. Just typing and then the diagonal row of 2, w, s, x stops working. I'm on a deadline so unless this a known issue with a quick fix I can't get into an Apple Store today.

if you're desperate to meet your deadline, plug in a USB keyboard, and get it fixed later.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Time posted:

Well, if it's a MacBook Air, it could be that one of several flex cables is bad or the trackpad is defective. Your deadline must be pretty bad to forget to tell us what kind of Mac you have.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

My 2009 MBP is dying. It won't turn on unless plugged in and loses power immediately if the plug is pulled. Trying to get it to start up again is a matter of some voodoo of disconnecting/connecting the magsafe a dozen or so times until it seats just so that the light turns on. Needless to say, this has limited my mobility with the thing quite a bit. I'm due a new one, but if I can limp this box along until the end of the year that would be even better.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose/repair what's going on here? It's not the only thing that makes me think it's at the end of it's life, but it's the most immediate and impactful.

Failing that, on the subject of new MBP models: it looks more economical to buy a cheaper model with a more expensive processor and just do the memory upgrade myself. Am I wrong there? Are there any particular setups that are known to be avoided in particular?

I don't *think* I want an Air, but I've never really used one. I feel like I'd break that thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fix posted:

Failing that, on the subject of new MBP models: it looks more economical to buy a cheaper model with a more expensive processor and just do the memory upgrade myself. Am I wrong there? Are there any particular setups that are known to be avoided in particular?

I don't *think* I want an Air, but I've never really used one. I feel like I'd break that thing.

You can no longer upgrade the memory on rMBP and MBAs at all, SSD or RAM. Get the machine that you need at the time you purchase it.

The Air chassis is excellent and it seems extremely durable. My wife has dropped hers several times, banged it into things, and tossed it unprotected in backpacks and it holds up incredibly well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fix posted:

My 2009 MBP is dying. It won't turn on unless plugged in and loses power immediately if the plug is pulled. Trying to get it to start up again is a matter of some voodoo of disconnecting/connecting the magsafe a dozen or so times until it seats just so that the light turns on. Needless to say, this has limited my mobility with the thing quite a bit. I'm due a new one, but if I can limp this box along until the end of the year that would be even better.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose/repair what's going on here? It's not the only thing that makes me think it's at the end of it's life, but it's the most immediate and impactful.

It's very likely a dead battery.

Not sure whether Apple sells 2009 macbook batteries though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

It's very likely a dead battery.

Not sure whether Apple sells 2009 macbook batteries though.

It would surprise me if they didn't. They still sell batteries fro 2009 Macbook non-pros for sure, but I got one from China for $30 instead and it came with the tri-wing screwdriver you need to replace it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

^^^ Hmmm.... Best place to shop for that kind of thing?

Twerk from Home posted:

You can no longer upgrade the memory on rMBP and MBAs at all, SSD or RAM. Get the machine that you need at the time you purchase it.

Oh!

Well that's unfortunate.

Thanks, guys. Shopping I will go.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

It would surprise me if they didn't. They still sell batteries fro 2009 Macbook non-pros for sure, but I got one from China for $30 instead and it came with the tri-wing screwdriver you need to replace it.

Cool, didn't know there were alternatives that inexpensive out there. How long have you had that battery and how does its performance feel?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, didn't know there were alternatives that inexpensive out there. How long have you had that battery and how does its performance feel?

It's been in there just over 6 months now, battery life is better than when the machine was new, but I'm not sure how much of that is because its a slightly higher capacity battery and how much is because newer versions of OSX have gotten more efficient. It came from some ebay seller with a bunch of positive feedback and was called "Battery For Apple MacBook 13" A1342 Unibody Rechargeable A1331 020-6809-A". Note this was a white plastic macbook, so you will need something else for your MBP of course.

As a side note, we replaced it because the machine was constantly dying even when the battery indicated it had some charge, the Apple store diagnosed it as a bad battery but the problem kept happening even after we replaced the battery. Apple then diagnosed it as a bad logic board, but figuring I had nothing to lose I opened it up, poked around, taped down a loose internal connector with scotch tape, and it hasn't turned off unexpectedly since then. It gets used really heavily, so it can't be that fragile a fix. Scotch tape seems to hold up really well. Apple would have replaced the battery for $129 and the logic board for $349.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It's been in there just over 6 months now, battery life is better than when the machine was new, but I'm not sure how much of that is because its a slightly higher capacity battery and how much is because newer versions of OSX have gotten more efficient. It came from some ebay seller with a bunch of positive feedback and was called "Battery For Apple MacBook 13" A1342 Unibody Rechargeable A1331 020-6809-A". Note this was a white plastic macbook, so you will need something else for your MBP of course.

As a side note, we replaced it because the machine was constantly dying even when the battery indicated it had some charge, the Apple store diagnosed it as a bad battery but the problem kept happening even after we replaced the battery. Apple then diagnosed it as a bad logic board, but figuring I had nothing to lose I opened it up, poked around, taped down a loose internal connector with scotch tape, and it hasn't turned off unexpectedly since then. It gets used really heavily, so it can't be that fragile a fix. Scotch tape seems to hold up really well. Apple would have replaced the battery for $129 and the logic board for $349.

FYI if you have access to it, I believe Kapton tape is the stuff that's actually meant to go into electronics. It's meant to work better with the adhesive and high temperatures. It's the yellow-ish stuff that's already inside the Mac when you look.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I want to upgrade my MacBook Air ssd since I'm low on space. I see DIY kits around, but which ones are credible? I'm looking OWC's for now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PaganGoatPants posted:

I want to upgrade my MacBook Air ssd since I'm low on space. I see DIY kits around, but which ones are credible? I'm looking OWC's for now.

Lots of people reporting the OWC drives dying on them on the Mac forums. More than other SSD's? Who knows. I'd buy an OEM drive on eBay (that's what I did to upgrade my rMPB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fix posted:

Check your magsafe port for a staple or pencil lead or something.

Happens more often then you'd think.