Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
After I installed the update battery life got way better. I can reasonably go for 24 hours with ambient mode off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

There are more reports that the battery life has been significantly increased with this update.
Damnit Motorola, hurry up and release this thing in UK so I can make a bad purchase decision and regret it when you launch the Moto 361 in six months.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone else excited for the Samsung Gear VR or do you think it will be a gimmick? I haven't had a chance to try any of the VR stuff since the Virtual Boy (:rip:).

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

Damnit Motorola, hurry up and release this thing in UK so I can make a bad purchase decision and regret it when you launch the Moto 361 in six months.

Moto One, you mean.

I'll be in the states soon and am really conflicted about getting (any) one of these. I like the idea but at $250 I'm still a bit hesitant with the actual implementation of the devices so far. One consideration might be the ability to resell it later locally for a profit...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone else excited for the Samsung Gear VR or do you think it will be a gimmick? I haven't had a chance to try any of the VR stuff since the Virtual Boy (:rip:).

For the price of the Gear VR you can get a google cardboard and a used Nexus 5 to go in it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Was able to go about 13-14 hours with my Moto 360 (with the latest update) with ambient mode on under moderate-to-heavy usage (yeah yeah, who knows what this means - let's say I rebooted twice throughout the day and had about 350 notifications on the watch).

Not bad, but I still won't be using ambient mode.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Makes it harder to wait for the G Watch R, but of course it's still not available outside the US, so that's that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm completely happy with the moto 360 battery life. I'm at 66% and 12 hours with ambient off and "normal" usage.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Trip report:
44% with ambient off and "high" usage after 12 hours.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

4% with ambient on and high usage (had to demo the watch 5 times today) at 14 hours.

Switching back to ambient off though. I'm extremely happy with the update, I noticed that they changed something with the gyro, as my slightest wrist movement will wake the screen up when ambient is off. I like this, as I used to have to shake my wrist like I was having a seizure before to get it to wake up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Telus at least will be selling the 360 in Canada on Oct 31 according to mobilesyrup.com.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Telus at least will be selling the 360 in Canada on Oct 31 according to mobilesyrup.com.

Expect it to require a two year contract and monthly anal probes, like everything else Telus sells.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
People are reporting 2 days of use on the moto 360 with ambient mode off after the update

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/01/does-the-moto-360-really-have-dramatically-better-battery-life-now-yes/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That seems about right. I'm at 5 hours off charge right now and sitting at about 85%. So, that's about 3% per hour giving around 30 hours of runtime. I'm sure it would be less drain at night when it's not constantly moving and waking up. Also, at work I don't keep my phone on me 100% of the time so I'm constantly going out of range and disconnecting/reconnecting. I also have the step and heartrate tracking turned on right now. Just ambient off.

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them. I would like, say, my weather card or drive home card be something I could always access by swiping up, but I really don't want real estate taking up space on my clock screen unless it's an active notification. Right now, the only thing I can do is swipe those cards away which makes them disappear on the phone as well. I don't find that to be ideal.

Basically, I want to keep Now cards around on both the watch and phone, just not have it be an active notification.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've been off charge for about 6 hours and I'm at 75% battery, and I've used the watch a bunch today. Huge improvement since before the update.

E: This is with ambient mode off btw.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Right now, the only thing I can do is swipe those cards away which makes them disappear on the phone as well. I don't find that to be ideal.

Eww, that's no good. I keep my weather cards up 24/7.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pebble updated to 2.6.0 today, apparently it'll track steps in the background now:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6872505/pebble-fitness-tracking-upgrade-price-drop

I love my Pebble and love that it's gotten genuinely more useful in the year and a half I've been wearing it. And I still only charge it every Friday or Saturday.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a Wear device yet (waiting for the sweet sweet 360 release in UK) but regarding the weather thing can't you just get a weather app rather than relying on Google Now for it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

I don't have a Wear device yet (waiting for the sweet sweet 360 release in UK) but regarding the weather thing can't you just get a weather app rather than relying on Google Now for it?

There are plenty of other ways go get weather.

It's just a change in process thing. I got used to certain cards hanging around for easy reference. Now they aren't there anymore until they show up on their own, but then you have to swipe them away if you don't want them always to be showing on the "home" screen of your watch.

I can always just ask the watch what the weather is or will be and it will show me.

Another example is I got a tracking notification for a package. I usually like to leave those cards up in Google Now until the package is delivered for easy access to the tracking number. However, if I did that, there would be a persistent card on the watch as well that you couldn't hide, only dismiss.

Basically, it's solvable by just being able to swipe down on the card on the clock screen to hide it. They would just have to implement that functionality and it would be fine. The only thing, in my opinion, that should show up on the main clock screen are new notifications and persistent notifications like audio controls. Everything else should be hidden until you swipe up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I agree, Wear needs a way to hide notifications from the watch face without clearing them out. Weather is the biggest place I could see that being useful, but it's also kind of annoying having my pedometer steps popping up all the time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I understand now. So Wear is displaying your Google Now cards rather than just the notification that a new card has appeared. Useful cards are easy to leave up on a phone because Now is in a specific place that you can go to and look if you want to see them again, but on the watch they clutter up the main screen. Yeah, that makes sense and sounds like it could certainly be improved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Ah, I understand now. So Wear is displaying your Google Now cards rather than just the notification that a new card has appeared. Useful cards are easy to leave up on a phone because Now is in a specific place that you can go to and look if you want to see them again, but on the watch they clutter up the main screen. Yeah, that makes sense and sounds like it could certainly be improved.

Bingo. I'm hoping it's one of the things the tweak in Wear 2.0. It's a pretty common request.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Manky posted:

Pebble updated to 2.6.0 today, apparently it'll track steps in the background now:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6872505/pebble-fitness-tracking-upgrade-price-drop

I love my Pebble and love that it's gotten genuinely more useful in the year and a half I've been wearing it. And I still only charge it every Friday or Saturday.

The question I have, though, is about accuracy.

Is the pebble even remotely accurate, or do you get 3000 steps from driving to work?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

cstine posted:

Is the pebble even remotely accurate, or do you get 3000 steps from driving to work?

Seems fine to me. I got about 300 steps while biking 4 miles over 20 minutes which is probably more step algorithm inducing than driving a car.

EDIT: I don't see any fundamental reason why Pebble would be less accurate than a Fitbit given that you're working off of the same input (accelerometer data) as long as the sensors are comparable.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 2, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Evil Robot posted:

EDIT: I don't see any fundamental reason why Pebble would be less accurate than a Fitbit given that you're working off of the same input (accelerometer data) as long as the sensors are comparable.

Because accelerometer data from something on your wrist has to be massaged to be semi-accurate as a step counter. Pebble may or may not be as good at massaging that data.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

I don't have hard numbers for you, but I ran the misfit app on my Pebble and wore an actual pedometer while I trundled around my apartment today. The Pebble reported about 2x the steps. When I was looking into other wrist-worn fitness trackers a month or so ago I saw that accuracy among them really seems to be their Achilles, uh, heel.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

For the price of the Gear VR you can get a google cardboard and a used Nexus 5 to go in it.

Yeah these two things are not the same though. Like at all. Gear VR has an uphill battle for sure, and needs to find a market, but the tech is pretty refined beyond Google cardboard. Have you played with one? I did at IFA and I'd never spring for the Note 4 Gear VR cost but it's way beyond what the Cardboard and a phone can do.

Edit: I have a cardboard nexus combo for my work. And a DK2. The gear VR is pretty cool for what it is, but yup no one knows who is going to buy it.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 3, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A wrist pedometer is pretty fundamentally inaccurate. But as long as it is somewhat consistent relative to reality, it's useful for its purpose.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

smackfu posted:

A wrist pedometer is pretty fundamentally inaccurate. But as long as it is somewhat consistent relative to reality, it's useful for its purpose.

Maybe I fit into some perfect sweet spot in stride but I've checked my Fitbit Flex against GPS and mile markers on a trail and it was almost dead accurate, like +/- 1% over miles.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

smackfu posted:

I was pretty concerned about this so when I got my fitbit flex I wore a real pedometer on my hip for awhile and the fitbit was never off by more than 7%.

That being said, it all depends on how you walk and the types of activities you commonly do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Caved and bought a limited edition Moto 360. Battery improvement issues + watch faces that minimize the flat tire + G Watch R marketing going silent, seemingly a long way away + ebayer selling it for a reasonable price to Canadia made it easier.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is a "limited edition Moto 360"?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

The darker grey band.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tunga posted:

It's the stainless steel Moto 360 with the dark gray leather band from Best Buy. No longer available, now the stainless steel Moto 360 has a light gray band.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm really not getting the complaints about the appearance of the G Watch, like every single review says it looks like terrible huge geeky poo poo. After putting a different band on it I'm completely happy with how it looks and wouldn't think twice about wearing it most places, I think it is a great size. :shrug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^^ it's not ugly, just very plain.

api call girl posted:

It's the stainless steel Moto 360 with the dark gray leather band from Best Buy. No longer available, now the stainless steel Moto 360 has a light gray band.

Oops I guess I got the latter. Didn't realize they had two greys. Luckily I bought it because I liked the look, not to get a limited run.

Fully expecting G Watch R news on Monday now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Imported the moto360 and gently caress me is it ever cool. Battery lasts all day too

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Motorola is missing its Moto360 launch in Germany (that should have happened tomorrow) because of the high demand. They apparently only figured that out yesterday because that's when it simply disappeared from some online shops. There's not even a new date to look forward to. It's just...gone...

I WANT THAT WATCH GOD drat!

Edit: Oh hey, it's October 24th now. See you in two weeks with the same complaint!

AlexF fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 8, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got it. Seller was actually honest with customs so it cost an extra $50. gently caress honest people!!

Here's how it looks on someone who isn't a frail little girl.

Very happy with the build quality. My Gear Live was a bit embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Android Central is saying iHeartRadio for Wear is dropping on the 15th, I can't comprehend why anyone would go to ClearChannel for personalized internet radio but since the 15th was the rumored release date for the next big Wear upgrade that adds some new evidence for it.

It's round, that's interesting I guess, I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch which gets a day+ at full brightness with always on screen.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 9, 2014