Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's a question: what is it about Taiwan that makes white dudes think that wearing their hair in a topknot doesn't look stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Here's a question: what is it about Taiwan that makes white dudes think that wearing their hair in a topknot doesn't look stupid?
Taiwan is Southeast Asia for the ones who aren't totally non-functional yet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Math Debater posted:

I'm sorta scared to name the agency. It seems that folks on other parts of the Internet seem to view the agency negatively, and I'm feeling kinda anxious about the tentativeness and uncertainty of my current situation. I met someone at the agency today, and he told me that I'm scheduled to observe and help out and teach at various English camps and events at nearby schools during the next couple of weeks. And he acted confident that I'll be offered some kind of a permanent job at a school in the next couple of weeks.

They put me in a cab and are having me stay at a hotel in Phasi Charoen that costs 600 baht per night until I find a less temporary residence. This hotel also apparently offers monthly rates to people who want to stay for longer periods of time. I've gone ahead and paid to stay at this place for 4 nights, until September 30th. At that point, I suppose I'll need to decide if I should stay here longer or stay somewhere else.

The location of this place seems ok, and not too far from the Bang Wa BTS station. Though I have not yet had a chance to check out the area around the hotel. I've been given the phone number of a real estate woman who I suppose can show me nearby apartments and condos available for rent.

It seems that I don't have anything I really need to do until next Monday, when I'm supposed to observe at a nearby school. I wonder what I should do with this time...

The receptionist at this hotel gave me a choice between a 1st floor room and a 2nd floor room. I chose the 1st floor room because it's a shorter/easier walk to the room. But now I'm feeling kinda paranoid about the possibility of people coming in through the window and stealing my stuff. Perhaps that's an unreasonable concern.

It's nice to have a room to myself now and no roommate! I feel kinda tempted to just say "gently caress it" with regards to the TESOL stuff and just start acting like I'm on vacation. Like, I could just spend a week or two more hanging out in Thailand and then maybe go do touristy poo poo in Cambodia for 2-3 weeks and then fly back to Mom and Dad in the U.S. feeling pretty satisfied about my experience in Southeast Asia. But I think I'm going to try to be serious about the TESOL stuff for at least a week or two or three longer. The uncertainty of the job + housing situation just seems kinda stressful to deal with at the moment.

Thanks so much for reading my post about what I'm currently doing and how I'm currently feeling in Thailand!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Moon Slayer posted:

Please tell me you saw that guy at the LoL tournament last weekend. What a chode. Or is the topknot like a semi-popular hair style among Taipei foreign chodes? No morons like that in Taichung... as far as I know.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

If anyone is (or knows anyone who is) looking to pick up some extra teaching hours in October, I'm going to be on vacation from the 8 - 22 and need someone to sub. Three classes available, choose any combination!

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 1:30 - 3:30 (ages around 8)
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 4:20 - 6:20 (ages around 10)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6:30 - 8:30 (ages around 12)

Lesson plans and material already good to go; get in, teach what's in the books, get out, collect your money. School is out in Luzhou about a 5 minute walk from the terminal MRT station. NT$600/hour. Hit me up through pm or just post here, whatever.
Press me via email:

Paul //@//niland//.tw

I have more flux in my life than I catevto mention right now, so yeah, I'm interested.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Some important questions I've forgot to ask, considering at the end of this week I will be moving to where ever I'm stationed. I got an international driver's license before I left, but as I don't already have a motorcycle endorsement I didn't get it approved for scooters/motorcycles. How do I go about getting a permit? Also, what kind of registration and plate fees are there? How much different are things if I wanted to get a proper motorcycle instead of a scooter?

I'm probably going to try to source a bicycle first if I'm not too far away from the school (I'm a goon, need the workout), but I'd like to get a motorcycle to take up into the mountains and to get around once I get the money together for all that.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Currently staying in Ximending, this area is pretty chill with all the alleyways. Been to Shilin and Tonghua night markets and Jiufen so far, then we're going to go to Taichung. I had the 16oz sirloin at Tonghua, it was a beast and pretty cheap too.

Any suggestions about cool and chill places to go, like beaches etc? Going to see if it's viable to go to Hualien when I'm in Taichung.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lady Galaga posted:

Any suggestions about cool and chill places to go, like beaches etc? Going to see if it's viable to go to Hualien when I'm in Taichung.
Flora Expo Park up by Yuanshan MRT has a neat strip of restaurants and shops as well as being a nice park, and is adjacent to the Fine Arts Museum; Baishawan on the north coast (bus from Tamsui) or Fulong to the northeast (train from Taipei) are nice, readily accessible beaches, but the south and east coasts are way better for that. Chilling at a tea house up Maokong is also a nice way to kill an afternoon.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I need to go back up to Shilin before I leave, on of the other NSTs in my group found that toilet themed restaurant there.

Anyways, it's officially official, JiaYi/Chiayi is my branch. Waiting for the phone call. About a dozen NSTs in my group, only half are actually going to be in Taipei! Got a headache, trying to cure it with Excedrin, Coke, and Pringles.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lots of HESS people seem to wind up down there. Must be a lot of branches, or a few big ones. Either way, good luck and have fun going up to Taichung for that mandatory unpaid training!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I need to go back up to Shilin before I leave, on of the other NSTs in my group found that toilet themed restaurant there.

Anyways, it's officially official, JiaYi/Chiayi is my branch. Waiting for the phone call. About a dozen NSTs in my group, only half are actually going to be in Taipei! Got a headache, trying to cure it with Excedrin, Coke, and Pringles.

Congrats, hope you enjoy it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Lots of HESS people seem to wind up down there. Must be a lot of branches, or a few big ones. Either way, good luck and have fun going up to Taichung for that mandatory unpaid training!

I imagine it's because no one wants to stay there. Put in your dues for a year then move to one of the larger cities.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I'm in Taichung now, staying at a hipster hostel called N-Joy that seems pretty chill. This whole town seems very hipster and also there's construction everywhere

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Anyone planning to go to the Hong Kong solidarity protest thing tomorrow at CKS Memorial Hall? It's from 6-8 pm. I've got work before and very important drinking plans later, but if anyone wants to go, I'll be by my lonesome and meeting up with a goon would be cool.

https://www.facebook.com/events/719822681432856/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'll def. see if I can make it, but I'm not sure I'll be done at work in time.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

Anyone planning to go to the Hong Kong solidarity protest thing tomorrow at CKS Memorial Hall? It's from 6-8 pm. I've got work before and very important drinking plans later, but if anyone wants to go, I'll be by my lonesome and meeting up with a goon would be cool.

https://www.facebook.com/events/719822681432856/

I'll see if I can get down there, but you know, training and all that.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Actually Taichung feels more like an American city than anything else, the traffic lights, the boulevards, and the drive-thrus (never lived in America)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Don't forget the Geiger penis bus stops.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I don't use Line or anything, text or call me at - redacted - if you plan to be at CKS today around 6-8.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 1, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't forget the Geiger penis bus stops.

I would say a whale boneyard, but that works too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

I don't use Line or anything, text or call me at 0981782337 if you plan to be at CKS today around 6-8.

Doing demos tomorrow, so I have to spend tonight planning my first lesson! Would go, but want to get this right, please post pictures.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of anywhere in Taipei that serves apple cider? It's October and I'm craving it. A shop near me sells Somersby but that doesn't hit the spot.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Oh hey, my hometown.

The city is branding itself as sort of a retirement city due to being centrally located, having low cost of living, and good weather. Unfortunately the city has been quite stagnate over the past decade until the influx of Chinese tourists causing a couple large hotels and related businesses to spring up.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your time there.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Does anyone know of anywhere in Taipei that serves apple cider? It's October and I'm craving it. A shop near me sells Somersby but that doesn't hit the spot.

Couple of the bars around Taipei serve Green Goblin which I think is the best cider in the city. Beer and Cheese went through quite a few and everyone said GG was the best.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Supposedly 10,000 people came out for Hong Kong last night at CKS Hall*, including the regular suspects (Lin Feifan/Chen Weiting, Wu'erkaixi, too lazy to write the rest) More foreigners this time than during Sunflower protests. Extremely peaceful.

It was at least half in Cantonese which I do not speak at all. Can guess what "Hong Kong Ga Yo" means, that's about it.

*or 中正廟 as my friends have taken to calling it lately...

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Doing demos tomorrow, so I have to spend tonight planning my first lesson! Would go, but want to get this right, please post pictures.

I was there from 5:30 to 7:30, it was a good time. There were not more than 3,000 people when I left at 7:30, but it is possible more people showed up later.

The crowd was about 94% student-aged Taiwanese, 1% foreigners, then some older people, and some media people and maybe 10-15 plainclothes police total. There was also one baby, and one old lady in a wheelchair with her aide.
I can't compare it to the Sunflower Movement protests, since I never went to those.

Around 6pm

The stage

TV crews and vendors selling protest paraphernalia.

This was the scene around 7pm. This is taken from the back end of the square, the only thing behind me were vending machines and smokers.

Few more photos here: http://imgur.com/a/nMBbJ

So that's what I saw. They played a catchy protest song that I wish I knew the name of.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 2, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That looks about on par with the Tiananmen one I went to.

Horatius Bonar posted:

They played a catchy protest song that I wish I knew the name of.
Was it in Taiwanese or Mandarin?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it was this dumb beyond song that nobody can stop singing at any given protest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJjmC1AZHs

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

I'm guessing it was this dumb beyond song that nobody can stop singing at any given protest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJjmC1AZHs

Haha I wish.
Did they record that in a KTV?

This song was different because nobody even started singing it, even though they played it twice with lyrics up on the screens.

Honestly I can't even say if it was sung in Mandarin, Taiwanese, or Cantonese. It often had two doubled words at the beginning of new verses, and that's about it.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

This was definitely bigger than the 6/4 Tiananmen vigil and MUCH smaller than the Sunflower protests. The Sunflower protests were about Taiwan, actually stopped up a lot of the workings of daily life, etc. Tiananmen vigil was at most 2,000, this was supposedly 10,000.

As for the songs...
There were a bunch of songs, they sang the Les Miserables song everyone loves, some Mandarin songs, some Cantonese songs (though I caught my Taiwanese buddy singing at the same time in Mandarin... had half a heart to call him a neocolonist or something :P), even rap towards the end. Very standard peaceful Taiwan style protest/political event and I am disappointed at my classmates who didn't show up because they were scared about what they saw happening in Hong Kong.

Oh the crowd probably like a third or even half Hong Kongers, they asked at one point who was from Hong Kong and a LOT of hands went up.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

This song was different because nobody even started singing it, even though they played it twice with lyrics up on the screens.
Huh. I was going to assume it was probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOgNLY8nDxQ

Even though it's got poo poo-all to do with HK, except the idea of no-one singing along to that is insane.

fe:

OK, a bit of searching and I think it was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu_FSptjRic

So close guess Bloodnose.

e2:

hitension posted:

Tiananmen vigil was at most 2,000, this was supposedly 10,000.
If that was the case, then a whole bunch of people must've shown up before or after those photos.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 2, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

OK, a bit of searching and I think it was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu_FSptjRic

So close guess Bloodnose.

Oh yeah that's the one I meant. Cantopop songs are all the same who cares. Here is the much better Le Mis song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Zt639NdUM

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hitension posted:

Oh the crowd probably like a third or even half Hong Kongers, they asked at one point who was from Hong Kong and a LOT of hands went up.

It's a prime holiday season and Taiwan is favorable for the exchange rate, what do you expect? The hostel I'm staying in Taichung is almost exclusively Hong Kongers, though everyone thinks I'm Taiwanese.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Both songs are terribly cliched! Best song is Cui Jian's nothing to my name. Too bad that guy was kind of creepy when I saw him in the concert.

Lady Galaga posted:

It's a prime holiday season and Taiwan is favorable for the exchange rate, what do you expect? The hostel I'm staying in Taichung is almost exclusively Hong Kongers, though everyone thinks I'm Taiwanese.

Taiwan is close enough to HK, just an hour away and it's a pretty cool place to visit!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

C'mon Tetsuo, you know better than this. Why would they sing 勇敢e台灣人 at a Hong Kong event?

Lady Galaga posted:

I didn't say I was surprised, I was responding to another poster who said the crowd was 95% Taiwanese students. I actually doubt most of these Hong Kongers were tourists, they mostly seemed like students.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I am now in Chiayi. Found a nice apartment that overlooks the city. No internet, though. Had a burger from a nearby local place last night. possibly the most American thing I've had since coming here. Need to find a reliable WiFi spot that won't mind me just chilling and playing with my tablet until I get my ARC and can get it on my own. Until then, tethering!

Hit Carrefour today, was actually slightly impressed, was expecting worse.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Im in Taipei as a tourist next weekend. What is closed for the Oct 10 holiday? Will things like museums etc be closed? Restaurants?

Also, what is the best bottle shop for imported beer?

Thanks a bunch :)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

THE LUMMOX posted:

Im in Taipei as a tourist next weekend. What is closed for the Oct 10 holiday? Will things like museums etc be closed? Restaurants?

Also, what is the best bottle shop for imported beer?

Thanks a bunch :)

A lot of the local foreigner bars have good imported beer. Little London, Beer and Cheese, DV8, quite a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Not much will close due to the holiday, only things like banks and post offices. Restaurants definitely not as this is a time when people will be out in large numbers; same goes for museums.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Does FamilyMart and 7-Eleven not take credit cards period, or only certain kinds? Tried to use mine last night and both stores refused based on that it is a 'swipe' card. My card has a RFID or some other kind of chip and the issuer claims it should work here in Taiwan. I was able to use it at the hotel, and to get my phone. Curious what the limitation is so I can look into if my card has a work around.

Oh, and I had cash on me, don't want to be a dick to the only stores within walking distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Does FamilyMart and 7-Eleven not take credit cards period, or only certain kinds? Tried to use mine last night and both stores refused based on that it is a 'swipe' card. My card has a RFID or some other kind of chip and the issuer claims it should work here in Taiwan. I was able to use it at the hotel, and to get my phone. Curious what the limitation is so I can look into if my card has a work around.

Oh, and I had cash on me, don't want to be a dick to the only stores within walking distance.
Don't think they take cards normally, it's usually cash only(I remember a Family Mart nearby rejecting a lot of mainland tourists' credit cards because they didn't take them in general). If they do take cards, some places may take RFID stuff like VISA's PayWave thing, but most need an IC chip; they probably called yours a "swipe" card because I'm betting you don't have an IC chip on yours.