Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Molten Llama posted:

You should expect app data to be restored from iCloud backups. iCloud backs up app data. iCloud restores app data.

Some developers, however, were apparently repeatedly dropped on their heads as children, and do not actually use app data storage.

Ok, weird. These are not small rinky-dink apps. Things like Evernote, Twitter and Facebook are acting like I've never opened them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

frogbs posted:

Ok, weird. These are not small rinky-dink apps. Things like Evernote, Twitter and Facebook are acting like I've never opened them before.
What sort of "data" would Twitter and Facebook save? I highly doubt either of those use iCloud for app data backup because there's nothing important to back up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think he is expecting them to be logged in and set up.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
iCould backups don't save any user information as far as I know. Only a iTunes local backup will save that stuff.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I think he is expecting them to be logged in and set up.

Login credentials are (or should be, assuming a competent developer) stored in the keychain though, which is secure local storage. The actual device keychain is different than "iCloud Keychain" btw, iCloud Keychain just syncs safari passwords, wifi networks, and credit card auto-fills.

I thought such keychain credentials do not come across in an iCloud backup, you only get those if you had an encrypted backup done locally against iTunes.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

apple store app updated for ios 6 and 6+

It's nice seeing apps run native res on the big+

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

syndex posted:

iCould backups don't save any user information as far as I know. Only a iTunes local backup will save that stuff.

That's kind of silly! A backup to me should be identical. This is like 3/4 of the way there in my eyes.

Having to log in to tons of apps is annoying.

Definitely a first world problem though!

Why am I still logged in to the 'awful' app, but Facebook and Evernote couldn't keep me logged in?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You're logged in because Awful uses HTTP cookie storage to save your session, and that's not stored in the keychain.

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/blob/master/Source/Networking/AwfulForumsClient.m

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 1, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

frogbs posted:

That's kind of silly! A backup to me should be identical. This is like 3/4 of the way there in my eyes.

Having to log in to tons of apps is annoying.

Definitely a first world problem though!

Why am I still logged in to the 'awful' app, but Facebook and Evernote couldn't keep me logged in?

Next time make a password protected backup on a PC for device transfers? (It won't save the keychain if you don't use the password protection)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I tried to update my iphone to 8.0.2 and it's curently bluescreening and reseting itself. What the gently caress?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you know you are going to use a backup soon, iTunes backup is almost always better than iCloud. iCloud backup is more for emergencies.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

smackfu posted:

If you know you are going to use a backup soon, iTunes backup is almost always better than iCloud. iCloud backup is more for emergencies.

Ok, good to know. Does iTunes still require you to reset your phone when you sync it/back it up for the first time? Or am I ok if I haven't yet synced this phone directly to a computer?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

frogbs posted:

Ok, good to know. Does iTunes still require you to reset your phone when you sync it/back it up for the first time? Or am I ok if I haven't yet synced this phone directly to a computer?

That's not really resetting it, you just un-sync your crap from the other computer. You'll be fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iTunes will let you back up/restore an iPhone regardless of whether it syncs with that phone or not. Just don't actually start a sync and you'll be fine.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Experience with two different cases for the iPhone 6:

1. Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal - paid $25 on amazon

High quality manufacturing, but felt like utter poo poo in the hand. Made the phone blocky and harsh feeling. The thin metal edges of the frame would noticeably scrape across your skin. Not painful, just noticeable. I decided rather quickly that it defeated all of the design elements that I liked about this phone. The buttons had really poor travel as well (and I'm reading that they are already shipping some additional "button supports" for people that can't get the buttons to actually mash the device's buttons. The cutout for the mute switch, which I literally use a hundred times per day in and out of meetings, is laughably small. You would literally have to carry around a toothpick or paperclip in order to use it. Basically a huge disappointment.

2. Poetic Atmosphere gray/clear - paid $12 on amazon

Great fit! Perfect fit actually. Has rounded edges that feel nice, adds virtually no bulk to the phone (understandably not as protective against a drop, but I was looking for something to just protect against scuffs when riding in a cup holder or something). The back is rubberized and adds grip but remains transparent. The bumper adds a nice amount of grip. Buttons are a little stiff but not as bad as the spigen. They don't bother me at all. The only downside so far (and this will probably be an issue with any case, is that because the glass slopes down at the edges, and the case edge stand up about 1 mm, there is a nice little groove for lint to get pushed into.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
So I don't know how unique this is, but it doesn't seem very good. I tried updating my software to 8.02 today (I'm on a 5S) and when it tried to update it said I had not enough memory and power cycled itself. It has come on since then but my service has been stuck in "Searching..." until I got home from work and tried to restore from backup. This went through after I had cleared up more than enough space, but it still says "Searching..." after a bit of googling I found the Apple website and one of the steps was to upgrade to the latest software to fix a similar issue. I tried doing just that through iTunes and now it apparently crashed my phone. I'm getting the connect screen with an arrow pointing towards iTunes and iTunes telling me I need to restore my phone.

Has anyone come across this yet? My latest backup was a little over a week ago but I'm hoping my phone didn't brick out on me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boy that share sheet is ugly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smackfu posted:

Boy that share sheet is ugly.
Why does it cut off like that :wtc:

I haven't seen it do that before.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Apple really is dropping the ball lately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also love how much of that screen is taken up by AirDrop even if you have AirDrop turned off.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I got the CaseMate Barely There clear case because I was looking for a very minimalist case for my iPhone 6 after the OtterBox Commuter was nigh unusable for me. Happy with it so far, doesn't offer a ton of protection but doesn't foul up the experience of using the phone either and it isn't too bad on the eyes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

Also love how much of that screen is taken up by AirDrop even if you have AirDrop turned off.

I don't even really understand why AirDrop takes up any space at all in any of the share menus, like swiping up from the bottom of the screen

It's just not a thing that I've ever seen come up or anybody mention

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why is iTunes not transferring songs to my iPhone 6?

it does a whole album then greys-out 3 or 4 songs on the phone. deleting them and re-transferring works sometimes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a buggy mess with iOS 8. Try mashing sync a bunch of times until the songs actually transfer.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's a common thing in UI design to do this. Having something partially cut off in a scrollable zone is an affordance, aka a way to signal to the user "there's more to see/do if you scroll."

For another good example, check out the horizontally scrolling hour-by-hour view in the Weather app.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

kitten smoothie posted:

It's a common thing in UI design to do this. Having something partially cut off in a scrollable zone is an affordance, aka a way to signal to the user "there's more to see/do if you scroll."

For another good example, check out the horizontally scrolling hour-by-hour view in the Weather app.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Because you can't always fit everything you want to display on a single screen?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Huh, this is nifty if you are looking at buying an iPhone secondhand. You can now plug in a device serial number or IMEI and find out if Activation Lock is enabled.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kitten smoothie posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

Well yeah, I know that, but I meant why wouldn't they have scaled it to fit in the single screen while in landscape orientation?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

If they took one line off the airdrop description, there wouldn't be a need for vertical scrolling. Having to scroll just to get the remainder of a button image is sloppy, especially when the size amount of space every ui item there takes is set by Apple. I don't think anyone is complaining about the horizontal scroll.

Well yeah, I know that, but I meant why wouldn't they have scaled it to fit in the single screen while in landscape orientation?

Exactly.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Not sure if this is an 'iPhone' question, but how do I copy music from my desktop to my iPhone via iTunes without having to add it to my iTunes Library? It seems like I should be able to drag and drop it, but I can't figure it out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Not sure if this is an 'iPhone' question, but how do I copy music from my desktop to my iPhone via iTunes without having to add it to my iTunes Library? It seems like I should be able to drag and drop it, but I can't figure it out.

This is not a thing that you can do AFAIK.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Okay, so I have Gmail, Yahoo, and iCloud all syncing contacts with my phone. When I delete contacts from my phone, something--possibly my computer, restores those that I just deleted. I've been having this issue as long as I can remember through at least ios4. Is there an easy way to fix this, or do I need to go through each service and delete the ones I don't specifically want on my phone, then delete them from the phone and computer, and then sync or is there a simple way of doing this? I feel like there has to be something simple that I'm just missing here, and I don't know what it is.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Keep it simple. Put all your contacts on your favorite service and dump the rest.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Tweetbot was updated for iPhone 6/6+

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tweetbot was updated for iPhone 6/6+
And it looks daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn good now! :fap:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kailtor posted:

Keep it simple. Put all your contacts on your favorite service and dump the rest.

Remember when I said there was something simple that I'm missing here, this, this was it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

syndex posted:

This is 100% wrong; the only thing iCloud won't back up is passwords and stuff that app developers specifically mark as not needing backup (poo poo that can be redownloaded, like a Twitter cache). I backup and restore from iCloud on a regular basis and never lose anything. It's fine. Either his restore was incomplete or the apps without data expect to redownload it themselves when he logs in to them.

Edit: I'm just sitting here :psyduck: trying to figure out what you think iCloud backup does if it doesn't back up user data.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 2, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally, last time I did a restore from an iCloud backup, any app that connected to a web service started from scratch since it lost my login credentials. Since that is most of my apps, it was annoying.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Just an FYI post. I am running 8.1 beta and the GM1 of Yosemite and apparently SMS texting handoffs work while you have wifi calling enabled now. With 8.0 it was one or the other. I am connected to T-mobile wifi calling and I am able to send SMS texts from my macbook pro.